Garmin Vista HCx external card file limitation

guggie

I was exploring the 2GB external memory card on my Vista HCX today and noted that the date stamped .gpx logs seem to have stopped being generated some time last year. No recent daily log files were present, even though I use the GPS several days a week. The track log setup is set to "wrap when full" and under data card setup, there is a check in the "log track to data card box". Hmmm. There is still more than 650MB free on the card too. Then I happen to notice to that the card contained 255 "objects". Ha! I bet there is a limit on the number of files that can be placed on that card, at least for logs. I deleted about 200 of them and voila! Today's daily date stamped .gpx file is now created.

Has anyone else noted this limitation? I can't find any other reference to it on the 'net.

My understanding is that these units have 2 sets of memory going.

The main memory is build in, and it is this one that will wrap when full.

There is a setting somewhere about if it should also save the tracks to the memory card, if this setting is not on then it will only go in the main memory.

I also find the tracks slightly different - in the main memory(active log*), they have time data with each point.

The tracks on the memory card do not have this information, only the position.

So i have it set to save tracks on the memory card, more for a backup than anything.

I use only the main memory which i download from the GPS, i want to do this before the 'wrap' erases that data.

I was not aware of the 255 limit - but will watch for it - strangely i see i am at about 254 now so should find out in a while if i recall to check it - but again it does not really effect me anyhow.