GPSs with 1000 waypoints

GeoROCKS!

My Sportrak Color can't take more than 500, but I'd still love to be able to get a bigger limit. For example, I'd like to be able to get my found caches all in one pocket query so I could play around with the data in mapsend.

Anyway, I third the request.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Although there are some that would say "You're never going to find 1000 caches anyway. Why do you need them all in your GPS?"

To which the answer would be: For those that commute a long distance, it would be nice to have a wider area of caches to choose from rather than have to make two separate queries and filter out the duplicates where the search areas overlap.

- - - - -

I wish I could hear the soundtrack to my life. That way I'd know when to duck.

1000 waypoints. I'll vote in favor of that.

Another idea, but maybe without the processing overhead of doubling the output...

While there is alot of available options to narrow a query, it isn't always easy to specify the most efficent options so that one feels confortable that he/she has all of what they're looking for. Not to mention the minor irritation of having to merge the files. Small step, but potentially annoying when done repeatedly. Additionally, in some instances when a query returns the whole 500, one is sometimes left to wonder what was left out.

Since each query will return 500 results at the most, that means the most you could get is 2500 total in one day. How about instead of 500 per query/5 queries a day, making the limit 2500 per day regardless of how many a query returns.

For example, I could have...

1 query that returns 2500, or...

2 queries that return 1250 each, or...

3 queries that return 833 each, or...

4 queries that return 625 each, or...

5 queries that return 500 each, and so on.

Maybe you wouldn't even have to limit the number of queries, or limit it to some ridiculous number like 50 to give the OCD crowd something to fret over.

Just a thought.

I would like to see the limit raised. I get tired hearing about the processing overhead. If it is really that much of a struggle then the databases need to be designed and indexed better. My guess is that the most amount of work being done to process the PQs is the join used to get the last five logs. I would like to see the option of not getting the logs but then I would want to get a higher limit on the PQs.

A thought...

It might be worth considering making the limit on queries "the larger of 500, and the number of finds you have" ... e.g. I get a limit of 500 (with my monster load of 33 finds), Marky gets a limit of ... what's he up to now? 1600? :>

This way most users would still keep a reasonable limit, but hardcore cachers can 'earn' the right to bigger queries, which is something that's (arguably) only really useful to those with lots of finds anyhow. Not always the case, but I'd bet that it's usually the case. It would let them get lists of all their finds, and generate larger lists of caches-yet-to-visit (which I imagine gets more and more useful as one's radius of caches found increases).

Just a thought. :>

with 5 PQs per member and each one having a limit of 500 waypoints. I see that as 2500 waypoints.

I keep about 850 waypoints on my vista. and that's just two PQs. One for unfound within 65 miles and one for found within 500 miles.

With a little work you can get more waypoints than you need every week. Try using filters. 1 PQ for virts, 1 for multi and so on.

Using PQs, Watcher, Spinner and EASYmps 2500 waypoints isn't out of the question.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:
I keep about 850 waypoints on my vista. and that's just two PQs. One for unfound within 65 miles and one for found within 500 miles.

I have four PQs just for a little experiment. I based them on the placement date and carefully counted them out so the are less than 500 per query. That gives me every cache in the state. When the fourth one fills up I'll put in a end placement date on that one and start a new one. I can also re-adjust the dates from time to time to compensate for archived caches and such.

Using Watcher is by no means difficult, but... it would be nice to remove a step.

It bears mentioning that I don't always want these, just now and then. But I can't deactivate them without deleteing them (that I know of).

Just had another thought...

Like I said in my first post to this thread, if a query returns 500 caches you may begin to wonder what was left out of it. If I make a query that returns 850, my query naturally returns only 500, leaving out 250 seemingly random caches.

BUT, if I have an available slot(s) (i.e. I have less than 5 queries setup) the spill could go into a second query which would return 250 more entries. If I make a query that returns 1200, then assuming I have available slots the spill-over could be sent in two more queries. And so forth and so on up to the 5/500 limit. Assigned queries would obviously take priority over non-assigned "spill-over" queries.

If I do have all 5 query slots filled or don't have enough available slots, then I get results only up to my 5/500 limit.

I like my first idea (first post to this thread), but this might be workable if that one wasn't. Just brainstorming.

There have been some good ideas here.

I have to be honest and say I don't like the idea of a sliding scale based on the amount of finds one has. I pay the same amount as everyone else. Will the "hardcore" cachers have to pay more? I am not suggesting they should. But I do find a sliding scale unfair. We have a tax system based on that and we all know how much of a mess that is.

I do have to add that I have seen many good ideas on this and other topics in the past. But from what I have seen if you don't belong to a select group or if your idea does not fit the "vision" of TPTB then it is highly unlikely that your idea will be put in place. Just a feeling I get based on my observations, your mileage may vary.

My Meridian can hold up to... um... *millions* of waypoints! I think we should be able to have the entire site downloaded in one PQ... oh, wait, that'd run it into the ground.

How about precompiled daily states? Well, actually, there are a couple important PQ GPX enhancements that I'll discuss in another thread once it's time, but that's not this thread.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

I pay the same amount as everyone else. Will the "hardcore" cachers have to pay more?

I, as a medium hardcore cacher, would be WILLING to pay more. Why not? I USE the site and reap the benefits more. Perhaps Premium Member and Platinum Member levels? 'Course I also think people should pay to SEND emails so that I could put a damper on the 4000 spam emails I get every two weeks -- even WITH spam filters!! icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

I, as a medium hardcore cacher, would be WILLING to pay more. Why not?

To be honest I would not have a problem with paying more as an option either. If in fact I could get larger PQs. I have thought about getting another paying membership just to use for PQs but have held off thinking it would really just be better if I could have higher limits rather than more of them. But in the end I may still do it anyway.

Oh and I feel your pain on the spam. I can't walk away from my desk without several more coming in.

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

My Meridian can hold up to... um... *millions* of waypoints! I think we should be able to have the entire site downloaded in one PQ... oh, wait, that'd run it into the ground.

How about precompiled daily states? Well, actually, there are a couple important PQ GPX enhancements that I'll discuss in another thread once it's time, but that's not this thread.

_[[[ http://clayjar.com/ ]]]_

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Now that would work if you could further filter out the caches you don't want and spit out your own custom GPX file. We could dip at the state trough when we needed it.

I also would like to increase the number of waypoints to at least 1000. Until 2 months ago it was no problem to have all unfound caches in a small country as the Netherlands (only 100 miles wide) in one query, but now it is not possible anymore as there are over 750 caches. Also I travel a lot to other countries so I would like to have as many caches/ logs as possible available on my pocketpc and gps.

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

My Meridian Platinum is great for that.

Even 200 waypoints on a GPS can be clutter to try to search for the one you want, deep in that list of 200, but the NEAREST Waypoint feature is better on the Meridian, than on a Garmin(Very limited).

I am going on a trip to florida from Detroit, and I cleared out many waypoints, and have only 21 waypoints in both Garmin GPS V units.

If I had the time and energy, I would setup my Meridian platinum with several waypoint lists:

*One list would be family and friends.

*One would be Geocaches.

*One would be places ive been or Points of Interest.

*One would be Roller coasters or whatever.

*One would be a list of waypoints in Laweizzyanna.

*One would be a list of waypoints in Mississipitie.

Nice thing about this setup on the Meridian, is that you can clear the waypoint memory in the GPS, then load in from the card each waypoint list file you need from the SD Memory card.

It would be best to have a card reader and a Waypoint manager like G7ToWin or Mapsend.

(you get the idea, and of couse I intentionally misspelled).

(Of course Louisiana is ClayJars state)

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS