When can it marked "found"?

Edward.B

So there is a cache in our area that we "found" and logged after two attempts. The cache is located up in a tree (pic below), way up in a tree, and neither of us were in a tree hugging mood, so we took a pic of the cache for our collection, logged the find and headed out. Then a week later, I get an e-mail from the cache owner, stating that is was improper to have logged the find with out signing the log on site. Now I know normally you would sign the log, in fact we have custom printed water proof stickers that we leave behind, however we didn't feel it was safe, so we didn't go up, but we did "find" the cache, right?

So I guess my question is, do you feel you HAVE to SL to mark the find??

Thanks,

Edward

28kofpj.jpg

Yup - you have to meet the challenge the cache represents in difficulty. Its not cache spotting - it is cache finding. While there are a very few exceptions, in the vast majority of cases, the physical log needs to be signed before you log it online.

What are the rules of geocaching?

If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

Write about your find in the cache logbook.

Log your experience at www.geocaching.com

From this page: http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx

Edited by StarBrand

You saw the cache. But no name in the logbook means it really isn't a find.

We have lots of tree caches in our area. A few I've climbed and signed, a few people have dropped down for others to sign (which is a questionable logging practice) and a few I've seen from the ground and decided not to climb so I didn't claim a find.

There is a cache on a zip line 75 feet up above a small gorge. You can see the cache from the ground. Logging it as a find without making the trek on the zip line would be wrong.

I agree with the above comments, but still, the CO bears at least SOME responsibility - - I mean there has to be a high "difficulty" rating, and maybe even a "special equipment needed" (i.e. tree climbing) stated as part of the requirements.

I can see both sides; taking a picture of a Rolls Royce is not the same as sitting in the drivers seat.

:sad:

I've found elevated caches before. Retrieving and replacing them is part of the challenge. If you don't feel comfortable climbing the tree, then perhaps you could bring a tool that allows you to retrieve and replace the cache without climbing the tree.

So there is a cache in our area that we "found" and logged after two attempts. The cache is located up in a tree (pic below), way up in a tree, and neither of us were in a tree hugging mood, so we took a pic of the cache for our collection, logged the find and headed out. Then a week later, I get an e-mail from the cache owner, stating that is was improper to have logged the find with out signing the log on site. Now I know normally you would sign the log, in fact we have custom printed water proof stickers that we leave behind, however we didn't feel it was safe, so we didn't go up, but we did "find" the cache, right?

So I guess my question is, do you feel you HAVE to SL to mark the find??

Thanks,

Edward

If you feel it is unsafe for you to attempt then do not go after it. IMO you HAVE to sign the log. I will not log a find if I dont. Thats how I play the game :anibad:

Thank you all for your reply's!! I think the only way for me to make myself long on this one is to climb up there and finish the job.

Again, Thank you for your speedy reply!!

Other people have already given you the correct answer, but I would like to warn against putting such an exact description of where and what the cache is, it might ruin it for someone else who hasn't found it yet.

Just to clarify, the pic was for my collection only, and was not uploaded to the cache page. The log I left on the site read: WOW!!! This was our second attempt, and today we found it!! We did NOT sign the log cause we were not that brave, but props to you tishman on an excellent hiding spot!! Some day I plan to return and SL, but today I was not prepared to go CODE: HC gung gerr!! lol

Keep in mind, the signing of log being necessary only applies to caches where part of the challenge is getting to it. (Unless the CO says you can log it by looking at it, in which case you can log without signing.) In the end, the "found it" logs are for your personal use.

The main reason for the logbook is to prove that you found it, without signing it you have no proof you were there, and the cache owner can legitimately delete your find, if they believe you weren't there. However, if you are on the trail, and the cache doesn't have a pen, you could take a picture of said cache (Make sure to open the cache even if you don't have a pen, just to make sure you found a cache, and not a decoy/trash) then E-mail the CO and see if he will allow it.

There's a cache near us which is way out on a tree limb above a beach. The cache was visible, but the last few feet too slippery (and narrow) to attempt back then. We did not log a find. If I get over the vertigo, I'll try this one as if I were riding a horse...and pray that I don't get splinters.

Edited by popokiiti

I do not want to add just another "if the log is not signed, then it's not a find" entry but !!

I have over 100 hides,with 60 more on the way for an event in August Rated from 1/1's to 5/5's including tree caches, cliff caches and some swamp caches.

Some of my caches are in plain site, but the terrain is rated high, due to the fact, you have to "Get" to the cache to sign it

I rate my caches to the best of my abilities, some even with warnings. See this one

Crow Lake Extreme Caching

I tell cachers and show them exactly where it is, but they must get there and sign the log to count the find.

I have had many e-mails complaining about the height or difficulty of some of my caches.

My answer is always the same, Dear ******* . This is a game, caches have a rating system for a reason, one reason is so cachers can pick caches with in their abilities and comfort zone.

If you find my cache too Difficult or dangerous, please do not do it, I would not want to see you get hurt. Remember, this game is for everyone, but not every cache is for everyone.

So no log signed means no find

I am curious though, you said you logged the find after 2 attempts, WHat did you attempt to do?

There's a couple of tree caches here in the Black Hills, one of them right next to the road. It's... way up there. I can see it, it's a bison tube hanging from the top branch. But due to certain physical limitations, neither one of us can make the climb up there to sign the log.

Not long after it came out, we drove by to look. Decided against it. So, we posted a note on the cache page that we could see it, so if someone later wants to put our name on the log it would be great. It was a joke, not intended to be taken serious. Well, a few days later someone from out of the area saw our note, climbed it and according to THEIR online log, they signed our player name to the log.

Guess what? We still HAVE NOT logged it online. Why? We didn't do the work ourselves to earn the smiley, that's why.

Just to clarify, the pic was for my collection only, and was not uploaded to the cache page.

Good job cachers don't read these forums then, or they might see your picture here instead :unsure:

We all see it but it still could be anywhere, in any tree.

Just to clarify, the pic was for my collection only, and was not uploaded to the cache page.

Good job cachers don't read these forums then, or they might see your picture here instead :unsure:

We all see it but it still could be anywhere, in any tree.

I know which, and where the cache is... from the photograph.

And I'm not even in the same country.

:D

Edited by Bear and Ragged