Android App vs c:geo

I use c:geo for my caching adventures and am thinking about buying the Geocaching Android App. c:geo is free and does most of the things that the Geocachings app does (less some features). Do you think it's worth the 10 bucks to buy Geocaching's Android App? What has been your experience using it?

Basically the differences that I notice are that c:geo has the live map, and the offical app can log trackables. Strike that. I see c:geo can now log trackables. So I'm not sure what "(less some features)" is. c:geo does everything that I need, and it has a live map which is really handy and the official app lacks.

The wife and I have the Geocaching app on our Droids, and find them very useful and easy to use. I can not compare to c:geo since I've never used it. I will say that every time the Geocaching app gets "updated" (which seems to be often) it takes a number of weeks to get the bugs out. Sometimes I wish they would just let that sleeping dog lie. :D

When I use my phone (not very often these days) I use the official app as v2 is far better than the old version. I always used to use c:geo but for some reason it never hides my finds although it's set to.

The official app is quicker to list the caches too :)

I have recently installed the GC latest version (2.0.1) and it is not working. I am logged on to the GC site but when I set the programme to "Find Nearby" I just get the message "Searching for Geocaches" then after some time "Failed to connect to Geocaching.com" in spite of the fact that I am logged on.

My device is a Garmin Asus A10 (Nuvifone A10). I also have the c.geo app installed and that one is working as expected . The previous version of the official app was working properly for me.

It is frustrating to have one I paid for not to be working and a free one functioning properly.

I have been in communication with the GC technical people and they assure me that a fix is not too far away (in time).

Got my fingers crossed.

I have recently installed the GC latest version (2.0.1) and it is not working.

Just bought the Groundspeak app for my Droid ATRIX 4G last night and it works fine.

Ooops, connected last night but not today. Went caching today, the Groundspeak app would not connect despite numerous attempts.

c:geo however worked like a charm every time.

Hey Groundspeak... that ain't good!

]

Ooops, connected last night but not today. Went caching today, the Groundspeak app would not connect despite numerous attempts.

c:geo however worked like a charm every time.

Hey Groundspeak... that ain't good!

I 'do' see that too often on my Verizon Fascinate, but only in bouncy coverage areas. I guess I'd like to know how the app communicates with the server from a geek standpoint (anybody have a sniffer that can figure it out?). In the usual case communicating via web browser via the same weak connection works ok.

My only significant complaint with the v2 android app is the known bug where your ignore list is not being ignored. That something so obvious got through makes me worry about their QA to say the least. Also not pleased a patch for that one hasn't been released. I really don't want to wait months for a minor-minor release bugfix.

From a feature set perspective, the official app needs to be able to grab/log/drop trackables. I'd like to see the 'find nearbly caches' always sort by distance rather than making me hit multiple buttons to do so. The nearby caches should show which direction they are from you.

Other than that, it's reasonably ok at this point. Certainly better than the v1 app.

When I use the phone (rarely) for caching, the official app is certainly faster. I use C:Geo to quickly see the favourite points around me if I have unplanned caching in an unplanned town.

Otherwise, the only other benefit I can see the official app is the ability to quickly search for caches around you with caches excluded that have been found by a subset of (max 5?) other cachers. That's a nice feature.

When I use the phone (rarely) for caching, the official app is certainly faster. I use C:Geo to quickly see the favourite points around me if I have unplanned caching in an unplanned town.

Otherwise, the only other benefit I can see the official app is the ability to quickly search for caches around you with caches excluded that have been found by a subset of (max 5?) other cachers. That's a nice feature.

Favorite points?

Exclude caches found by other cachers?

I'm really falling behind on this stuff. :huh:

I would recommend C:Geo

The "official" app, in its v2.x guise, is completely broken and unusable on my HTC Magic, and judging by the number of complaints and one-star ratings on the Android market, I'm far from alone. Don't be fooled by the apps overall 4 star rating, that is a hangover from the v1.x app. Geocahing v2.x is, IMHO, a complete disaster.

Frankly, I'm appalled that Groundspeak are charging $10 (£6) for such an unreliable piece of software.

I have used both and they have both worked pretty well for me. I like the live map on c:geo - I only use my phone for impromptu caching so the map is perfect to not only check for nearby caches but to also give you a good idea where you'll need to go. However I haven't worked out how to navigate to a cache from c:geo, I always end up having to shut the app and open the official app to navigate from there. I'm sure this is just me being dim though so if anyone could tell me how to do this it would be much appreciated! If the official app had a map I probably wouldn't bother with c:geo at all.

I have used both and they have both worked pretty well for me. I like the live map on c:geo - I only use my phone for impromptu caching so the map is perfect to not only check for nearby caches but to also give you a good idea where you'll need to go. However I haven't worked out how to navigate to a cache from c:geo, I always end up having to shut the app and open the official app to navigate from there. I'm sure this is just me being dim though so if anyone could tell me how to do this it would be much appreciated! If the official app had a map I probably wouldn't bother with c:geo at all.

Hit menu then navigate to cache. Easy peesy.

After the last Groundspeak update. I have had a hard time lock on to GPS right away.

And some of the caches do not show up. But C:geo has always work well. Even finds the missing caches. So Groundspeak looks pretty. But does not work that well.

Edited by not2worried

I would like to be able to support GS however I am very disappointed in the GS app on my Gzone Commando. Not sure if its my phone or the app itself but it is extremely slow, does not allow me to see what I'm typing while typing a log and it locks up my phone. Very frustrating! C:geo works flawlessly for me and it was free, ten dollars cheaper than the official app. I think someone else posted "C:geo is what the GS app should be". And I just discovered how to post a log from C:GEO ! yay!

Strange how we all have different experiences. I usually get a really fast fix with the official app and the data comes down really fast too. I get really frustrated waiting for c:geo to work it's way through web data, which really isn't ideal. The only problem I ever had with the official app is that it told me a cache was unpublished which was very much a live cache.

Strange how we all have different experiences. I usually get a really fast fix with the official app and the data comes down really fast too. I get really frustrated waiting for c:geo to work it's way through web data, which really isn't ideal. The only problem I ever had with the official app is that it told me a cache was unpublished which was very much a live cache.

My recent experience when using both of these apps on a day out geocaching.

c:geo worked well everywhere I had cell coverage and the "navigate to" facility was spot on.

GS app is still not downloading "in the field, on the fly". However downloaded PQs used as "Offline" lists work well and all the features work. In the field I can get logged onto GC provided I have phone coverage but can't download anything except PQs, i.e. nothing "nearby" or "new" or "live" that has been published since I left home.

I continue to have confidence that the official one will be fixed.

Jim

I only ever use the GS app for "on the fly" and it has not let me down yet, except for the "unpublished" cache incident. The data was still there and I still found the cache. For downloaded PQs, I still like georg.

I only ever use the GS app for "on the fly" and it has not let me down yet, except for the "unpublished" cache incident. The data was still there and I still found the cache. For downloaded PQs, I still like georg.

Same for me. The official app blows away c:geo in terms of speed. c:geo is so sluggish. However, c:geo has a lot more features (trackable logging, etc.), few of which I care about. I only use c:geo if I can't use the official app for whatever reason.

GeOrg is excellent for PQ-based caching. The v2 official app improved slightly in this regard, but GeOrg outperforms it by a large margin.

Same for me. The official app blows away c:geo in terms of speed. c:geo is so sluggish. However, c:geo has a lot more features (trackable logging, etc.), few of which I care about. I only use c:geo if I can't use the official app for whatever reason.

GeOrg is excellent for PQ-based caching. The v2 official app improved slightly in this regard, but GeOrg outperforms it by a large margin.

The official app only has 2 advantages. 1. Speed 2. It doesn't violate geocaching TOS

C:geo has live map, trackables, favorites sorting, better offline caching for pocket queries etc etc etc. Really the best part about C:geo is if you have a problem with it the dev fixes it right away. Right now the Groundspeak app is working alright, except for when I need to use pocket queries...then it fails totally. Huge downside IMO.

The official app sorta has a live map. If you select "Find Nearby Caches" from the main menu, you'll get some nearby caches. Select Menu->View on Map to see them on the map. Then scroll around, and click Menu->Search Here and it will show you a circle of caches around the new map center point. You can also click Menu->More Results to grab caches from a larger radius. It's not as intuitive as c:geo's live map, but it's so much faster I don't mind.

I wonder if Groundspeak has contracted out the app development. That would explain why it misses the mark in so many little ways. It's a good start, but we're probably 6+ months from another update. :( Meanwhile the iPhone and WP7 users are wondering when their apps will get the attention they need.

I'm pretty annoyed by the news about C:Geo. It worked really well and, importantly, reliably while the official app is unusable. It's all very well Groundspeak wanting to keep exclusivity with regard to their Android app, but it has to work. As soon as Groundspeak update their website so that C:Geo no longer works, I'm going to be without a usable geocaching app and will probably give up caching at that point.

c:geo was always better than the "official" app:

- very fast development speed

- direct response to users wishes

- a feature set covering nearly all needs

- great interacting with map provider app like locus (for using osm)

The advantage of c:geo was never that is was free of charge (I would have paid for it), how many opponents assume, but it gives the Android phone cachers what they need.

I do not want to deal with PQs when I have the possibility to get always live data and therefor always actual information for the caches I want to go for.

The GS App isn't just worth the money!

As soon as Groundspeak update their website so that C:Geo no longer works, I'm going to be without a usable geocaching app and will probably give up caching at that point.

Buy a dedicated GPSr and have fun...or are you too cheap?

Which ones download cache data on the fly?

None that I know of, but is spending a couple minutes loading a PQ that bad?

Not for me, that is what I do with Georg but the people complaining about the demise of c:geo seem to need data on the fly and live maps.

Edited by insx

Of all people, I think you were unlucky strapping the screen while taking off the protector.

Then you didn't pay for the screen replacement, Garmin gave your money back, then you didn't want your Montana back

they paid you back the Montana.

In the end there's nothing to complain about and as good as the Android app's are these days, many people are happy

with the unit they got, even with the (few) startup glitches.

And in case the Montana malfunctions it gets replaced, so please stop crying and let it go.

Edited by splashy

Which ones download cache data on the fly?

None that I know of, but is spending a couple minutes loading a PQ that bad?

Some of us just like using the smartphone. (BTW, I own a seperate GPS, am a premium member AND use PQ's. I still like loading cache data on the fly with my droid)

Edited by Avenois

I just drove to the general location of a cache (looked it up online first while at home) and when I tried to get the official app to work, it kept crashing. I have a Tmobile MyTouch, btw. It's definitely a disappointment to get to your location and not be able to use your gps.

The app only cost $10.00, so no huge loss there. It's just the disappointment and bugs in the program that get me. Yesterday the program worked like a charm and I had a great time...today, ugh not so much.

At this point I'm just going to do the research for a dedicated unit since I like the hobby. I'm just so frustrated since I'm supposed to be going out this evening with a friend to grab some local caches.

Yes I have an important question. I just received my Android - its a PanTech. The C:geo doesn't seem to want to work on my phone. Any suggestions? Can I get one that will? I do not know what the "Android App" for geocaching is - free or $10.00 . Please help me. I know a few people who do Geocache and I find it a worthy excuse to get out of the house and explore. I am not getting any younger and this gives me a reason to get outside.

Yes I have an important question. I just received my Android - its a PanTech. The C:geo doesn't seem to want to work on my phone. Any suggestions? Can I get one that will? I do not know what the "Android App" for geocaching is - free or $10.00 . Please help me. I know a few people who do Geocache and I find it a worthy excuse to get out of the house and explore. I am not getting any younger and this gives me a reason to get outside.

C:Geo should work, make sure you have C:Geo-Opensource as the earlier (plain c:geo) one will not work.

If c:geo doesn't work it is doubtful any of the others will work either, however they all should since I believe you are running Android 2.3.3.

We installed the official app on my phone and the c:geo on my SO's phone because paying $20 just seems stupid to us. She can log all of her finds under our username just as I can with the official app. As for one working better than the other... I think that's just a matter of preference. I can't tell that either works better than the other.

As far as the GPS accuracy goes, we've not had a single problem with either the HTC Thunderbolt or the Incredible. We've been within 1' of the cache every time. So to say that "Mobile devices are inaccurate" is inaccurate. When caching we turn all radios off except the GPS. This improves the accuracy and reduces variance in both apps. I think mobile devices have degrees of accuracy just like handhelds do and should be graded accordingly and not lumped together.

As far as violating the TOU I don't think c:geo does. The original one may have but the open source one does not seem to. (This is from a quick look at the coding) but that's just my 2 cents.

So to say that "Mobile devices are inaccurate" is inaccurate.

Careful with blanket statements going in extreme directions. The user's experience is going to depend largely upon the model and year manufactured; just like the early years with dedicated GPS receivers. I have a year old smartphone with patch updates, with a GPS that routinely puts me off by a minimum of 8 meters or more, but never closer.

Edited by TotemLake

This is the age of overindulgence. Get them both! :rolleyes:

We have more luck with the geocaching one, ...however, I love checking up on every cacher in the world on the cgeo live map!

You say you have found ---- Quote "I found 1157 caches in ONE day without cheating." --- Sorry this sounds like a tall story to me, you would have to find a cache every 1.244 minutes over a 24 hour time slot, yep that's a hard story to accept as true.

This is the age of overindulgence. Get them both! :rolleyes:

We have more luck with the geocaching one, ...however, I love checking up on every cacher in the world on the cgeo live map!

You say you have found ---- Quote "I found 1157 caches in ONE day without cheating." --- Sorry this sounds like a tall story to me, you would have to find a cache every 1.244 minutes over a 24 hour time slot, yep that's a hard story to accept as true.

Never heard of the ET trail, huh?