Time to chime in..

Take a look at this log below. Sure, a little brisk. But do you all think it is considered cyberbullying? A log for a cache hidden on homeowners association property, falsely listed as a no-name city park.

Cache should be rated 1/1.5 in my experience. This is not just some no-name city park. This is a homeowners association common area. Does not bother me in the slightest but other local cachers could say something.. so just beware. TFTC.

edit: spelling

Edited by bflentje

I'd say no. What about a log like this?:

A side note: For those of us unfamiliar with the Morrills, the hint was pretty useless. Combine that with the clever container and I'd say this is more than a 1 Star Difficulty. A D-1 cache's hint should confirm that the cache is MIA if it is, and I am still left wondering what the hint actually meant.
:ph34r:

No Bullying as far as i could see... As for homeowners association property issue - IMO it's actually good to bring it to the CO's attn. - Having lived in a homeowner association run property before, we know that they could get strict about things including trespassing, loitering, etc. That could also mean that the location is not a public property. This kind of thing could put our hobby in a negative light with the local authorities.

I 1st read it as a threat until I re-read it and it is just stating facts. It was hidden in a place that it shouldn't of been placed is what I see. Home owner associations are usually pretty messed up when it comes to things like this. Kind of Mafia-like. The person in charge usually hires relatives to work the area and takes kick-backs and pays in cash and pockets the rest. I'd be careful invading their turf. Just sayin'..

Edited by A & J Tooling

Take a look at this log below. Sure, a little brisk. But do you all think it is considered cyberbullying? A log for a cache hidden on homeowners association property, falsely listed as a no-name city park.

Cache should be rated 1/1.5 in my experience. This is not just some no-name city park. This is a homeowners association common area. Does not bother me in the slightest but other local cachers could say something.. so just beware. TFTC.

I don't know, is the OP the author of that log? :)

Yeah, Terse, but far from cyberbullying. I'm sure I've written a few terse logs over the years. I could also see some people thinking cyberbullying if the cache owner was a kid, which is very possible, not knowing a Homeowner's association common area from a City Park. But I suppose there are plenty of adults who couldn't figure that one out either. :o

Yeah, Terse, but far from cyberbullying. I'm sure I've written a few terse logs over the years. I could also see some people thinking cyberbullying if the cache owner was a kid, which is very possible, not knowing a Homeowner's association common area from a City Park. But I suppose there are plenty of adults who couldn't figure that one out either. :o

Thew CO looks to be about 14 years old. I'm sure many schools these days have programs to make kids ultra aware of cyber bulling and they may see it were most of us wouldn't. I thought the log was fine. Heck, he's lucky it wasn't a NA log. It probably should be archived unless the cache has the permission of the homeowner's association.

But do you all think it is considered cyberbullying?

If that could be interpeted as cyberbullying then the world has gotten way too sensitive. The logger posted factual information in a clear manner. There was no name calling, no threats of any sort. A non-copy&paste log conveying useful information to both the cache owner and future seekers -- if anything the logged should be commended for not just posting a "tftc" and moving on.

Not all logs on caches are going to be warm fuzzy and some people just are more terse than other people are personality wise.

I had a cache I found recently where I wasn't warm fuzzy about it and was honest that I slogged through a stinky swampy area that smelled like rotting fish to find a pill container laying on the ground with a wet log...

Or I'll mention that a cache may be on private property with questionable permission as well if I'm approached by someone (though those are rare because I usually drive away if I question it).

Thew CO looks to be about 14 years old. I'm sure many schools these days have programs to make kids ultra aware of cyber bulling and they may see it were most of us wouldn't. I thought the log was fine. Heck, he's lucky it wasn't a NA log. It probably should be archived unless the cache has the permission of the homeowner's association.

If that is what is considered cyberbullying it go right in the ranks of not grading papers with red ink cause it makes the kids feel bad and we are all winners in this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took it as informative, but the author jumps back and forth between talking to the CO, and then to following finders.

Or maybe the intent was to inform the CO that other cachers may post even less approving logs?

It's getting so you can't say anything without posting a three-page disclaimer.

Of course it isn't bullying. Were you... I mean, was the author of that log, actually accused of bullying? Was it reported as that to Groundspeak?

Now how would he know that? :laughing: I seriously didn't look, although I speculated, both that the OP wrote the log, and the cache hider was a kid. Man, I actually nailed something around here for once.

Forget Cyberbullying. A private homeowners association park in a quiet residential neighborhood? And all of a sudden, beginning early June 2011, a bunch of strangers are just going to invade the neighborhood on a daily basis, and start acting like nutjobs looking for a Nano in full view of houses? This won't last long, and may end badly. :blink:

There's a sentence missing, isn't there? Or did that last sentence in the current log get added later? How many times did you have to cut and paste the log before it was not deleted?

It's very confusing...seems like there's some drama happening, yet the CO posts on the cache page that you were first to find. If the CO were unhappy or felt bullied, then why make a special note on the cache page?

There's a sentence missing, isn't there? Or did that last sentence in the current log get added later? How many times did you have to cut and paste the log before it was not deleted?

It's very confusing...seems like there's some drama happening, yet the CO posts on the cache page that you were first to find. If the CO were unhappy or felt bullied, then why make a special note on the cache page?

Nothing missing. Link to original log that got deleted: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=e274bf2f-190b-4853-aeb0-02db951d8376

Of course it isn't bullying. Were you... I mean, was the author of that log, actually accused of bullying? Was it reported as that to Groundspeak?

Now how would he know that? :laughing: I seriously didn't look, although I speculated, both that the OP wrote the log, and the cache hider was a kid. Man, I actually nailed something around here for once.

Forget Cyberbullying. A private homeowners association park in a quiet residential neighborhood? And all of a sudden, beginning early June 2011, a bunch of strangers are just going to invade the neighborhood on a daily basis, and start acting like nutjobs looking for a Nano in full view of houses? This won't last long, and may end badly. :blink:

Cache ownership is not a kids' game. I would love to see a checkbox on the form that says 'I am 18 years of age or older'.

Cache ownership is not a kids' game. I would love to see a checkbox on the form that says 'I am 18 years of age or older'.

How about one that says 'I behave 18 years of age or older'

We've had some good cachers around here who make and have made hides before that age and they've been good about looking after them. Usually required the assistance of mum or dad to provide a little transportation, but not always, some get around well on a bike, as I did when I was an early teen.

Oh, really?

I meant the last sentence, which was left out in the original post of this thread.

Find #4978. FTF. Cache should be rated 1/1.5 in my experience. This is not just some no-name city park. This is a homeowners association common area. Does not bother me in the slightest but other local cachers could say something.. so just beware. TFTC.

Further unwarranted deletions of my Found It logs will be submitted to Groundspeak administration and our local reviewer.

Now, that last sentence could be interpreted by some people as "bullying".

I meant the last sentence, which was left out in the original post of this thread.

Find #4978. FTF. Cache should be rated 1/1.5 in my experience. This is not just some no-name city park. This is a homeowners association common area. Does not bother me in the slightest but other local cachers could say something.. so just beware. TFTC.

Further unwarranted deletions of my Found It logs will be submitted to Groundspeak administration and our local reviewer.

Now, that last sentence could be interpreted by some people as "bullying".

That was added after the fact, after the first log, as posted, got deleted.

Oh, really?
Before protesting too loudly, you might want to build up some credibility.

For the record, I don't disagree with your protest, but you might be a better poster child for the Pros than an advocate for the Cons after some recent threads.

Oh, really?

For the record, I don't disagree with your protest, but you might be a better poster child for the Pros than an advocate for the Cons after some recent threads.

Errm, I've hidden Ammo Boxes, Stainless Steel Waterbottles (Big neck, so trading/log removal is NOT a hassel) I've hidden creative caches (I don't want to spoil it :D), I've just hidden a nano at a beautiful spot (A larger cache WOULD NOT work in this spot, and I wanted to bring people here)

5821279055_c273e9e184.jpg

^I can't put an ammobox on this overlook BTW.

I always go out to fix my caches within 3 days of an issue arising. I even check up on my caches if I'm in the area, just because I try to make sure my caches are always healthy.

I am of the legal age to drive/own a vehicle. If there is an age limit then 16 should be it, at 16 one can legally own and drive a vehicle... So...

Oh, really?

Errm, I've hidden Ammo Boxes, Stainless Steel Waterbottles (Big neck, so trading/log removal is NOT a hassel) I've hidden creative caches (I don't want to spoil it :D), I've just hidden a nano at a beautiful spot (A larger cache WOULD NOT work in this spot, and I wanted to bring people here)

5821279055_c273e9e184.jpg

^I can't put an ammobox on this overlook BTW.

I always go out to fix my caches within 3 days of an issue arising. I even check up on my caches if I'm in the area, just because I try to make sure my caches are always healthy.

I am of the legal age to drive/own a vehicle. If there is an age limit then 16 should be it, at 16 one can legally own and drive a vehicle... So...

...And this is exactly why I said I don't disagree with you on the age limit thing. I'm just sayin' after a couple recent threads, some might not take you as seriously as you might hope.
Oh, really?

Guess I'm just pining for the days when cache ownership was an adult game. Autonomous kids with their own GPS receiver were, as far as I know (in my area) non-existent. GPS units were expensive and not a kids' toy. Occasionally a parent might hide a cache with their children but they'd say something in the cache write-up about how little 5 year old Suzy placed the cache because she likes the park. Then adult finders at least know and can tailor their response. But you also knew a parent was reading the logs and monitoring the cache.

The OPs constructive feedback was completely reasonable but a child/teen CO can be overly sensitive and handle criticism immaturely. Child cache ownership should be something a parent should be involved in. GC does not put any restrictions on age wrt cache ownership so any kid without any parental supervision or approval can post a cache on this site. I just don't think the average kid is mature enough to handle cache ownership responsibility and mature enough to make that decision for themselves.

Here's one example of a kid's cache gone badly:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e76380df-b25d-4b56-9ca1-1c2182218f2a&log=y&decrypt=

That makes me want to go out and hide a cache right now.

I think you should. But if you hide it on private property and someone mentions it in their log, don't have your ma whine about cyberbullying.. :lol:

I know right? Stick it to 'em. However, I was under the assumption your parent's were geocachers. So you'd fit straight into her idea world where all child geocachers have parents helping them hide it/maintain it.

Edited by Coldgears
I think you should. But if you hide it on private property and someone mentions it in their log, don't have your ma whine about cyberbullying.. :lol:

It'll be on private property, without permission of course. I want drama! I don't want to see "quick, easy find. tnln" in the logs. I WANT EXCITEMENT! :o

...I was under the assumption your parent's were geocachers. So you'd fit straight into her idea world where all child geocachers have parents helping them hide it/maintain it.

They used to be, but they don't seem so interested in it anymore, so I'm on my own. :unsure:

You, from what I've seen, can hide a cache. There was a gang of middle schoolers in my area tossing film canisters into Quizno's landscaping by the front window as early as 2005. And that was even before smartphones. :lol:

EDIT: In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind seeing that checkbox. I don't think it's a major trend, or a major problem, but lets just say I've seen "boatloads" of apparently unsupervised teen placements over the years. And Statistically speaking, the track record isn't very good.

Edited by Mr.Yuck