Gender Poll

Just wondering...............

Although my Lord and Maaaaster enjoys caching, Dave(the other half of Thehoomer) would never even look on the forums, let alone post anything.

Just wondered, if as a female but part of a team, I'm alone in my circumstances and interest in this diverse arena? I know a few of you are single but I was just interested in the women vs men ratio on postings.

Just ignore this thread if I am being hormonal :laughing:

Edited:

Who interprets clues & cache pages more successfully? Who finds the most caches in a Male/Female team?

Edited by thehoomer

hormonal? :unsure:

Mrs F reporting in here. Mr F doesn't tend to do forums.

Loving your quote BTW. Dave spends most of our caching/camping trips with the tea cozy on his head. May be this action is blocking the desire to post on the forums :unsure: ?

Oh, hadn't thought of that. Perhaps I should have one handy for when I feel a sudden urge to post on one of the more controversial threads! Now, where did I put those knitting needles...? :laughing:

Mr H doesn't go on the website at all, it's just me. He sometimes looks over my shoulder at the map when I'm deciding where we might go but that's about it. I do all the work before the trip, he does the driving! Considering his age (29) he is not as good with computers as people often expect!

He is very into finding the caches though and tends to keep score on every trip we do as to how many we each find! We're usually pretty even on the finds, although if there are too many bugs around I make him go first!

C (female) logs the vast majority of all caches, and is also responsible for loading the Garmin (other gps systems are available) to cover all areas to be visited, and ideally the ones J (male) suddenly wants to go to to show me where he delivers to in his big truck. :blink:

A (nephew)is not allowed on the computer much so doesn't really count. :)

Since being with my OH, I can categorically say that I do it all really....

He loves the walks, loves the caches, hates the logging and hates the planning. I, on the other hand, love it all, so it just makes sense!! :) :)

I often wonder how he used to cache!!

my good lady is a complete technophobe and doesn't even touch the GPS. She searches and normally does the finding.

When at home she does the lady stuff like cooking, washing, ironing and generally waiting on me 'her lord and master' hand foot and finger. This allows me to spend time on the computer. :rolleyes:

Well, zarbi (male) holds the GPS and that's about it! ;) Me, zarbibird (female), plans the caches and sends the PQ to zarbi to load onto the GPS. Zarbi tells me when we are 200 ft from GZ, I usually find the cache and always sign the log. I always log the caches when we get home and am the only one that goes on the forums. It's not suprising really, is it? Haven't we women always known that we work harder at everthing than men :laughing::ph34r:

We are Dave and Pauline....Dave here now.

Pauline never goes on the forums. She does spend lots of time on geocaching.com planning which area to go and explore. She looks for a 'special' cache and then we plan our day out round that. They can be 'special' if they have not been found for a long time, or if they have a trackable.

When she has chosen the area I do all the PQ and GSAK work loading the gps' etc.

Pauline spends a lot of time checking out trackables.

She has the patience to solve some puzzle caches, but if after 10 mins I cannot work out what to do, then it often goes on the ignore list.

I am always looking in the Forums. I like to know what is going on and also to learn things. I don't often reply though because of the way that some others respond.

I'm the cacher of the team as Mr MJ is a golfer :blink:

I decide where we go, choose the caches, he does all the techie bits, drives and probably equal on finding caches (unless they are up high I've got no chance LOL) then I sign the log and write the posts. I read the forums as I like to know what is going on but he does pop in occasionally :D

Female here! I do all the cache planning, logging and forum viewing. Mr SH likes to hike so I have to choose my caches with care, not too many or too close together! He likes to choose where we go and then I find if there are any caches there. He more often makes the find even without the GPS and prefers to use maps. Something that annoys me a bit is at events people assume that he is the cacher!

Female!

I am the main cacher in The QCs. I cache every day with LittleQC (20 months old) whilst Mr QC is at work and BigQC (age6) is at school. As a family, we always go out once a week for a series, the 6 year old loves a good walk...and lots of caches. She has her own account number and just hit 1000 recently.

I plan the routes, load the caches, navigate, hold the GPS (unless the 6yr old want to make us follow the arrow directly... makes for an interesting walk)

The only thing Mr QC does is pay for my geocaching habit, accompany us on a walk and do the GSAK stats.

Mrs reddeeps here, Mr doesnt do forums.

Infact mrs R does all the planning, loading gsaking, loading printing, car loading, picnic making, etc etc.

However as soon as we arrive at location Mr R takes control of the gps often with no idea of size, theme, reason for coming etc etc However he is much more patient than me in the hunt, I get bored after a few minutes (sometimes seconds) but him and the kids will stick at it and find far more tham me, who I have to say in my defence cant really hunt anyhow as I am carrying the printouts, kids drinks, swaps, tb's, car keys, pens, kitchen sink etc etc so have no spare hands or arms to even get close to the cache area. However I am still expected to actually sign the log LOL

I also solve all the puzzles as Mr R patience doesnt extend past finding a cache. I also log them all once home.

I also plan all hides but he will normally be able to make something for me as long as I explain it well!! Which apparently I dont always do! I beg to differ LOL he doesnt always quite listen!!

Edited by reddeeps

The results of this unscientific, selective and anecdotal poll, indicate that there are twice as many women than men, posting on the Forums.

Does this result then suggest that the Forum postings are more frequently from the female perspective? Interesting...........

Edited by thehoomer

Unless its cache and dash and can be seen from the car, She who must be obeyed is not interested and she never comes on to the caching forums. She spends her time on Border Terrier World and lost dogs sites !! So its only me - when we go on hols with our friends the Beauchiefs Its me and Mrs Beauchief that go caching and Her other half and mine get out the deck chairs and wait for return - So we have caching days and non caching days. On non caching days I drive she who must be obeyed around the sites (and shopping malls!!!!)Mrs Beauchief does most of the planning for the caching days - so we all get to do our thing (week in Wales - over 50 caches from Snowdon area - Shopping mall in Bangor, Craft shops in LLandudno) et al

Add another one for the females! :) I do all of the logging, planning, and forum posting. I'm also the chief GPSr operator. As for finding, I think it's probably about 50/50. I'm usually doing the dizzy bee dance trying to get the GPSr to settle whilst Andy is following his nose and finding the cache. He's also better than me when it comes to not using a hint to find a cache. He's probably got better cacher senses! :laughing:

EDIT: I should add that Andy is more of a website user after we've found the caches, or DNF'ed the caches. He likes to read what others (and me) have said in our logs. I sometimes add little jokes about him in my logs knowing that he'll read them and laugh!

Edited by Cassandy

Female and a lone cacher .... so do it all!

My other half doesn't get this caching at all but does love the fact it gets me out walking .... sometimes he comes along on long walks but doesn't stay around while i search for the cache..... Strange bloke! :rolleyes:

I'd book him an appointment at the doctors quick... Poor lad's sickening for something.

Ok... We're outnumbered! C'mon lads get posting!!!

I, Mrs. Caty, do all the research, downloading, picking the area, signing the logs, getting the swag, logging, and forum activity.

Mr. Caty drives, has his own Garmin, and we find about an equal number of caches. Oh, yes, he buys the mochas at the end of the caching day. Always.

I would like to assign puzzle solving to him and I am as clueless as possible about these caches. I am working on it. :anibad:

Female and a lone cacher .... so do it all!

My other half doesn't get this caching at all but does love the fact it gets me out walking .... sometimes he comes along on long walks but doesn't stay around while i search for the cache..... Strange bloke! :rolleyes:

I'd book him an appointment at the doctors quick... Poor lad's sickening for something.

It could be, that now it has been established that this is possibly a female dominated forum, the uglier half give it a wide berth from now on :laughing:

Ok... as indicated by my user name, I'm male. "Mrs Redsox" hasn't been interested for the most part, but slowly I'm changing that. She is at the point where she will come along caching with me if 1) the caches are really good, and 2) near a nice pub where we have lunch, and 3) it's a nice walk but not too long or steep. So I do extensive research before inviting her along.

But 90%+ of the caches I find are on my own, or occasionally with other cachers.

Ok... as indicated by my user name, I'm male. "Mrs Redsox" hasn't been interested for the most part, but slowly I'm changing that. She is at the point where she will come along caching with me if 1) the caches are really good, and 2) near a nice pub where we have lunch, and 3) it's a nice walk but not too long or steep. So I do extensive research before inviting her along.

But 90%+ of the caches I find are on my own, or occasionally with other cachers.

Mrs redsox sounds like my kind of caching companion.

It could be, that now it has been established that this is possibly a female dominated forum, the uglier half give it a wide berth from now on :laughing:

I'm not sure about it being female - most of the boys on this forum are distinctly absent from this thread!

I'm not sure about it being female - most of the boys on this forum are distinctly absent from this thread!

We can't get a word in edgeways... :ph34r:

I do most of the planning PQs Gsak loading phones GPSr... Sue finds most and logs most Oh and she does come on the forums sometimes other than that it will be me

Edited by fuzzybears

We are a team of 3, Myself (female), one of my friends (also female) and my boyfriend (male, obviously ;)). My boyfriend tends to Man up the GPS, and god forbid we try to take it from him. He is also the planner and the pack mule for carrying the heavily laden geocache bag.

I am happy to admit (even to my shame)that it is my friend who finds most of the caches, she is crazy adventurous and it always pays off. I am the photographer of the group and also something of a coward, especially when it comes to cattle. But we generally all get a few finds each per trip.

MrPP checking in here - MrsPP doesn't do forums!

We always cache together - only ever done about 20 caches separately. I do the forward planning, mainly cos I do all the GSAK stuff - so loading the GPS, plotting on Memory map, blah blah. MrsPP has been known to load the GPS - but straight from GC.com rather than GSAK.

Out and about, MrsPP carries the GPS, and usually MrPP retrieves the cache. This allows MrPP to sign the log (Unless I'm having a ciggie) and MrsPP logs the find on the GPS. We have a slick system! If the cache requires a search, then its probably about 50/50 for who actually finds it!

MrPP then uploads the field notes, and we try and write logs together, although sometimes we get behind, so MrPP ends up catching up when he should be working (like now!)

MrsPP solves most of the puzzles, mainly cos I can't be bothered!

Cheers

Dave