Geocoin Serial Numbers (2)

ryanr69

Understandably Groundspeak doles out geocoin serial numbers to authorized manufacturers of the coins.

Would there be any issue with purchasing a coin (a cheap one), stashing it away in a collection, and then reusing the number on a home made item?

I realize this is what travel bugs might be useful for but I am able to actually create coins with a new toy i got but don't have access to unused serial numbers.

TBs are better suited, and cheaper, for taking the tracking number and reusing it on a home made item. But if your looking to make a bunch of these items and sell them then you need to go through the proper channels so GS doesn't disable the numbers your trying to use.

Read the pinned threads at the top of this section of the forum.

Edited to add... If you are planning to make 100 or more it would be cheaper to buy a block of tracking numbers rather then buy a bunch of coins/TBs to strip the number. Besides if you use a coin's number, then your personal item would be stuck with whatever icons the original coins have.

Edited by mpilchfamily

Understandably Groundspeak doles out geocoin serial numbers to authorized manufacturers of the coins.

Would there be any issue with purchasing a coin (a cheap one), stashing it away in a collection, and then reusing the number on a home made item?

I realize this is what travel bugs might be useful for but I am able to actually create coins with a new toy i got but don't have access to unused serial numbers.

One thing is that by using a coin you are using the icon that goes along with it. I personally don't have a problem with that, but some people are expecting to find 'the real thing'. By using a TB it'll have the standard traveler icon.

Don't they have a generic coin icon?

Keep in mind, that a travel bug tag or any other cheap traveler tag is easily recognized by cachers. If there's a homemade item in a cache, it might be looked at as a trade item and noone will actually look for a number.

So I'd rather attache a TB or Traveling Tag to an item, maybe there is even a fitting icon with one of those tags?

Please read the pinned thread "Groundspeak's current geocoin policy" at the top of this forum. Any gecoin trackable on www.geocaching.com must have its design approved by Groundspeak, and must bear wording saying it is trackable at www.geocaching.com