Geocachers are not nice people?

PapaGPS

Geocaching is a sport that is totally dependent on the honesty and decency of the participants. Because of that I think it tends to draw a better sort of person.

Not that there aren't jerks who are geocachers, of course there are, but from my experience there is a far lower percentage of them in geocaching then in the general population.

I've met hundreds of geocachers over the years and I'd have to think long and hard to come up with the names of a few who are not nice people.

Edited by briansnat

Takes all sorts to make a geocaching world, and we've found that most (in fact all, so far) of the cachers we've met in person have been great.

I'm wondering if this ex-geocacher in MacD's may not have left, but was, how shall we say - asked to leave? That may explain his attitude....

His experience, whatever it was, doesn't have to be ours! Cache on!!!

It's so amazing for you to go to one, and have people COME UP TO YOU, asking if you were "Coldgears".

Nobody ever came up to me and ask if I am "Coldgears" :mad: This is discriminatory behavior and I will not stand for it!

ARE YOU NOW, OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN, COLDGEARS???

Thank you, I now feel strangely fulfilled :P

Better than feeling serisouly agigtated :ph34r:

So, I am at McDonald's today getting lunch. I have my Garmin around my neck when a guy comes up and asks if I geocache. I told the guy that I was brand new to it, and was enjoying it so far. And THAT set the guy off. He told me in 2 -3 minutes, that most geocachers are jerks - he said he used to be one himself - and way to competitive, with too many jerks who suck the life right out of all the fun. He then told me to get out before I get hooked.

Next he asked me if I had been to a big event with other cahcers. When I said that I had not, he said, "Good, if you keep it that way, you might still be able to enjoy it." And at that point his meal came and he said goodbye.

I can already tell from the forums, that to some degree, Geocaching is competitive, which I never would have guessed. But so far, I have been nothing but treated nicely - even as a total noob.

What would you say to what I just typed?

now

would have been a good come back from you :lol:

For what it's worth, I would agree that you just have to ignore the guy. Just because he had a bad experience doesn't mean you will.

One thing I will say is that large events could turn you off to geocaching. My wife and I went to our first mega event last year. While we had a great time meeting new people and talking geocaching with others, we found that actually geocaching during the event wasn't very much fun. Every cache you'd go to would have 15 people looking for it at the same time. It really took away the "thrill of the hunt." We also met a number of cachers who were obviously just interested in increasing their finds, as they'd push their way to the front of the group waiting to sign the log, sign it, and march off to the next cache. It got to the point where it really wasn't geocaching anymore, it was more like follow the leader.

But, that may be right up your alley, and that's totally cool. However, if you're not into making geocaching into a competitive activity, then I'd suggest just attending the mega events for the social aspect and not the hunt of the caches.

...Geocaching is competitive...

Geocaching, in and of itself, is not competitive. However, there are competitive people in the world. Some of these geocache. So long as you choose not to incorporate competition into your caching, then it won't be competitive. Only you can decide. I don't like competition myself. Just not my thing. If a competitive cacher approaches me at an event and says "I bet I can get more FTFs than you this year", my likely response would be to the effect of, "Uh... Sure thing, dude!"

As for cachers in general, I've met a whole butt load over the years, and I consider every single one of them my friend. I suspect there is something unique about the social dynamic of the type of person who is drawn to this game, which weeds out most butt heads. Your meeting with that butt head, (who weeded himself out), sure does seem to lend validity to this thought.

Go to an event and I think you'll agree that the average geocacher is a pretty amazing person.

Oh... Almost forgot: Welcome to the addiction! B)

(IMO forums are an easy way to not be nice due to the anonymity but most here are nicer than many other forums on other sites).

The real issue is that these forums are heavily policed, no "bad words" at all, and even the slightest hint of trolling and you get banned. There have been a few that have came, got banned and then went. E.G. Ashinkes. It sucks because ashinkes was amazingly funny.

Ashnikes was great. I loved his threads, and random posts in other threads. Quality entertainment all around.

Geocaching is a sport that is totally dependent on the honesty and decency of the participants. Because of that I think it tends to draw a better sort of person.

Not that there aren't jerks who are geocachers, of course there are, but from my experience there is a far lower percentage of them in geocaching then in the general population.

I've met hundreds of geocachers over the years and I'd have to think long and hard to come up with the names of a few who are not nice people.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say.

I think Geocaching seems to have a lower percentage of jerks than the general population. (I also think it has a higher percentage of "unique" people, but that's part of the fun!)

I've met hundreds of cachers over the years, and the number of people I would go out of my way to avoid could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I also think the forums have an unfair reputation for being harsh. All too often someone will come in and, while they say they are wanting opinions on something, what they really mean is "I want you to agree with me and tell me I am right." Once they discover not everyone thinks the same way they do they feel "attacked" and sulk off muttering about how the forums are full of idiots.

I have developed a lot of friends through caching. I have had some great social experiences and a lot of great solo experiences. I haven't regretted taking up this hobby for a minute.

I think jerk is subjective. We have all seen the people who get way too seriously involved in this hobby and micromanaging other people and how they play. All it would have taken is for someone to have a yucky encounter with someone who takes this way to seriously to determine there are jerks involved.

While I don't think it's the majority of people like that I do think the ones like that tend to be vocal and make things miserable for others.

So, I am at McDonald's today getting lunch. I have my Garmin around my neck when a guy comes up and asks if I geocache. I told the guy that I was brand new to it, and was enjoying it so far. And THAT set the guy off. He told me in 2 -3 minutes, that most geocachers are jerks - he said he used to be one himself - and way to competitive, with too many jerks who suck the life right out of all the fun. He then told me to get out before I get hooked.

Next he asked me if I had been to a big event with other cahcers. When I said that I had not, he said, "Good, if you keep it that way, you might still be able to enjoy it." And at that point his meal came and he said goodbye.

I can already tell from the forums, that to some degree, Geocaching is competitive, which I never would have guessed. But so far, I have been nothing but treated nicely - even as a total noob.

I'd say he was right about one thing, he's a jerk.

I'm a member of the Geocachers of the Bay Area and we're a swell bunch. We participate in CITO events, volunteer for park work, have kid-friendly get-togethers and look out for caches which violate laws/ordinances. Most members are professionals and I genuinely find that reflects the character of the game - you will of course have some people in any group who "just don't get it" but by and large I rarely see that type - most are people out to have some fun and give back to the game.

I'd go so far as to suggest the person who approached you would be a difficult person no matter what activity they were involved in. There simply are abrasive people. Take note, avoid, move on.

lol.... geocaching in McDonalds :blink: , and then hanging out in the forums :huh: !

You are not making very good choices.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand this post. I was just having lunch, and happened to have my GPS around my neck. Maybe your humor is too dry for me?

lol.... geocaching in McDonalds :blink: , and then hanging out in the forums :huh: !

I don't understand this post. I was just having lunch, and happened to have my GPS around my neck. Maybe your humor is too dry for me?

McDonalds caches typically imply a lame, micro-cache placement. Many forum regulars have waxed poetically over the years about just how lame these caches are. Thus, you are running the risk of being flamed on this board by the mere suggestion of a McDonalds caching experience.

At least that is how I interpreted the comment; I could, of course, be wrong.

McDonalds caches typically imply a lame, micro-cache placement. Many forum regulars have waxed poetically over the years about just how lame these caches are. Thus, you are running the risk of being flamed on this board by the mere suggestion of a McDonalds caching experience.

At least that is how I interpreted the comment; I could, of course, be wrong.

Being asked if you are a geocacher at a McDonalds is not the same thing as geocaching at a McDonalds.

Yep...just my dry humor. :unsure:

You didn't do anything wrong at all. :) You just ran into a grumpy person. :mad:

That can happen anywhere. :):P:lol::D:mad::lol:B):P:):D

Most geocachers are very nice people, and are quite willing to show you their style of geocaching. :) That style may or may not be your style.

I think of geocachers belonging to 3 different styles....and they may overlap.

Powercachers - this group likes to find lots of geocaches, and may not be concerned at the quality.

Green cachers - This group is more focused on healthy caching. They like the outdoors, and may participate in hiking, biking, watersports, and possibly 4 wheel drive geocaching.

Techy cachers - This group likes the electronic side of caching. They focus on the toys and the software skills, and are not too concerned with actually finding caches. They may focus on challenges, and puzzles.

You didn't do anything wrong at all. :) You just ran into a grumpy person. :mad:

Most geocachers are very nice people, and are quite willing to show you their style of geocaching. :) That style may or may not be your style.

Powercachers - this group likes to find lots of geocaches, and may not be concerned at the quality.

Green cachers - This group is more focused on healthy caching. They like the outdoors, and may participate in hiking, biking, watersports, and possibly 4 wheel drive geocaching.

Techy cachers - This group likes the electronic side of caching. They focus on the toys and the software skills, and are not too concerned with actually finding caches. They may focus on challenges, and puzzles.

How about

All-around cacher - Likes to be taken to interesting locations, whether it be an urban structure you can park next to, or a beautiful view of nature after a 3 mile hike. This cacher does not discriminate, they will hunt any cache near them, but prefers to find creative ones or ones at good locations.

How about

All-around cacher - Likes to be taken to interesting locations, whether it be an urban structure you can park next to, or a beautiful view of nature after a 3 mile hike. This cacher does not discriminate, they will hunt any cache near them, but prefers to find creative ones or ones at good locations.

Ah yes...the mythical Casual Geocacher. I don't think they actually exist.... :laughing:

Weren't you in a movie that featured these three styles?

Edited by tozainamboku

How about

This is my wife and I. we just want to be taken somewhere. If you take me somewhere lame, that's when I expect something beyond a container and a log. If I get neither... well, it happens rarley because I research before I hunt.

BTW, I am *HOPING* I can get my wife to join us. We could both use the 3 mile walks, if not more.

I will say this, I will not judge anybody I haven't met, but the only person I do know who caches is a buddy of mine from another state.... to call him "quirky" would be a huge understatement... but he is also one heckuva nice guy.

As far as the number of folks who don't use this site? Well, I believe that most don't, but without this site, I probably would not have even taken the first steps in this hobby. I tend to research things to death before making a commitment to anything.

Anyway, thank you all for your answers and your helpfulness.

Edited by PapaGPS

"Geocachers are not nice people"?

How dare he! :mad:

What cheek! <_<

We're lovely!

(Send me his full details immediately by PM. I'm taking out a contract on him. I'll send in my man.)

(Or maybe my dog.)

(Knowschad! - get your filed set of dentures in, you're needed.)

MrsB

e9953a22-4308-43e4-ae41-2a4ce7b75a4f.jpg

You rang?

Edited by knowschad

"Geocachers are not nice people"?

How dare he! :mad:

What cheek! <_<

We're lovely!

(Send me his full details immediately by PM. I'm taking out a contract on him. I'll send in my man.)

(Or maybe my dog.)

(Knowschad! - get your filed set of dentures in, you're needed.)

MrsB

e9953a22-4308-43e4-ae41-2a4ce7b75a4f.jpg

You rang?

He said we're not nice people. Sic him!

ANY hobby/sport will have jerks who participate in it. Geocaching is no different.

ANY hobby/sport where participants can be compared to one another in some way (any kind of measurable criteria - wins/losses, # of finds, judges scores, who sold more plants at the Master Gardeners Sale, etc) will be competitive to some degree.

ANY internet forum will sometimes have bickering, arguments, flames, and jerks.

Some geocachers simply have no interest in meeting others who geocache.

My experiences in a year and half of geocaching have been mostly positive. Yes, I've heard of some fueds between cachers, seen people upset about a cache, seen forum posters not behave very nicely. But cachers I've met have been nice.

Remain calm and don't be antagonistic (that works for most of life really), seek the caches you want at the rate you want to find them, and if you meet a cacher you don't like you can usually avoid them. You will inevitably find some caches you don't like, find some cachers who's hides you never like, and find some cachers who don't like your hides. Just roll with it, don't take it personally, and have fun.

Personal story: a local cacher made some creative hides and had found a couple hundred caches. Then they quit, with a message on their profile about being very displeased with all the nanos. Unstated but possibly also possibly a factor was one of their caches being archived because it was ill-placed. I never met that cacher, but given the way they left geocaching I would guess they don't have a positive opinion of it.

Edited by Joshism

I've probably met close to 1000 cachers here at View Carre' and have met many more at various events. I've commented to my wife many times since we first started caching how nice all the folks were that I've met ( seemingly far nicer than the general puplic)...I've always been at a loss to explain it but the common thread seems to be a child-like sense of adventure, travel, and fun not exhibited in many adults.

Forget the man you met and once you become acquainted with more geocachers you will see what I mean......by all means attend a few events to meet all the nice folks.

I'm not sure about all the web sites......with so many more cachers now maybe each area is better served having there own forum/shout-box , etc.

I've met plenty of cachers and most of them are great people. There are always jerks I have not yet run into any though. Also, just because you geocache doesn't mean you have to be competitive. I geocache with my 8 year old sister. We do it for fun and nothing else. We love the game for the find, its all about the search. Its not about the first to finds, or the numbers, we just love to do it for fun.

The thing I like about geocaching is the fact I can go it alone. I do not have a competitive bone in my body. I don't know it can be competitive? Seems you met someone how was competitive and kept losing out as he perceived it. This is enjoyable to me.

I think jerk is subjective.

Watch it, now.

:lol:

Just another one of the million plus one day log-in's who are never going to find or hide a cache. Don't try to change your username to "Subjective", because it's gone forever. Oops, that's a totally different thread. :anibad:

Well, the Geocaching community seems to be pretty susceptible to drama. You just ran into a former drama participant, that's all.

I have yet to have met ANY cacher in the wild that was anything but nice to me, only ones that I have seen being rude are in the forums. Maybe because IRL im 6'3 325 lbs and bench my weight, and people in the forums cant see that.

Doesn't matter, the avatar is enough to scare me off. :lol:

I've run into Ex-Geocachers, who've turned Letterboxers, but not because they became snobs. Rather, a little more challenging for them.. Mind you, we've had more than our fair share of Geocaching haters out there.. that website touting the destruction of Geocaches they deem disruptive to the ecosystem, or self-proclaimed Geocache removers who claim they have every right, because they follow (Umm.. Not exactly..) the code of LNT.org.. (I still laugh at the bozo who stole one of mine, claiming it was harmful to the forest environment.. It was a blooming LPC in the middle of a shopping mall parking lot!)

It still follows the rule of thumb.. Those who don't understand the game, tend to become haters of the game. It's not supposed to be competitive.. It's designed to give you a reason to get your butt out and explore! You're learning how to navigate with a GPSr, and when you're not paying close attention to the GPSr, You're seeing..... Everything!

focus_brown_500.jpg

And, that One-time incident of me nearly giving a mountain bike rider, a hiking pole sandwich, was totally coincidental.. I thought I heard a growl! Not someone clearing their throat..(read log entry)

Edited by gelfling6

I usually do not respond to the forum posts, I mainly use them as a tool to learn more about the sport, but I read this post and thought that I would chime in. I have been caching off and on for a couple years and I also have never been to any events yet. I mainly use the sport as a way to get together with my wife and kids outside of the house to have some fun. Even though I have not been to any events I have met several fellow cachers while out on the hunt and not a single one has ever been rude or "mean" to me or my family. And as for competitive, in most cases if someone I meet on the trail has already found the cache they are more than willing to try to help me get on the right path so that I am able to log a find. It seems to me that most of the competitive parts of geocaching are all internal. I am always setting goals for myself while geocaching but at the end of the day I have never once tried to compare my numbers to another cachers. The only time I have ever looked at others numbers is when I am trying to find someone to ask a question, then I am more inclined to try to find someone with a higher find count as they will most likely have more experience and I will have more luck finding out what I need.

Ahh, the reasons I cache. I picked up the habit (two weeks ago), first, because it turns every hike the kids and I take into a treasure hunt... adding adventure to an already fun outing. But, secondly, I'm a technology nerd, and a GPSr is one of the few pieces of technology I can afford! I will attend events here and there, if any of them get a little closer to my hometown. I would enjoy the social aspect of it as well.

Anyone from the Charleston, or Kanawha/Putnam County areas in WV, send me a message, and let's get some people together here!

All depends on how you choose to interact with. Like anything, it has its great people and it has its total arrogant, power hungry "its all about me" types. For me, I choose to avoid those people and not acknowledge they exist. You can not always avoid them, so you just try to minimize the interactions, be polite and let them be jerks.

Choose to surround yourself with the good ones.

Sadly though, if you live in an area that cachers tend to be elitists and exclusionary, it does scare away new people. I just try to tell those people to be stubborn and don't let the "know it alls" run them off of a great activity.

Takes all sorts to make a geocaching world, and we've found that most (in fact all, so far) of the cachers we've met in person have been great.

I'm wondering if this ex-geocacher in MacD's may not have left, but was, how shall we say - asked to leave? That may explain his attitude....

His experience, whatever it was, doesn't have to be ours! Cache on!!!

I wonder though pop - anyone "asking" anyone else in the community to leave, sort of proves the point. Only a jerk would think they have the right to "ask" someone to leave. Although, some do feel they have the self appointed authority to do so.

Agreed, forged many strong friendships through caching over the decade or so, and there are only one or two folks I can think of who are pretty unpleasant. It's usually those who over-think and swear up and down there are "cliques" and get into a lather about that. The other phenotype are people who have burnt out from caching for ages and get grumpy in general.

Cachers are a good crowd, and I've met many folks there is NO WAY I would have met any other way. it does tend to attract a real mix of people, who are nice.