Geocachers are not nice people?

PapaGPS

So, I am at McDonald's today getting lunch. I have my Garmin around my neck when a guy comes up and asks if I geocache. I told the guy that I was brand new to it, and was enjoying it so far. And THAT set the guy off. He told me in 2 -3 minutes, that most geocachers are jerks - he said he used to be one himself - and way to competitive, with too many jerks who suck the life right out of all the fun. He then told me to get out before I get hooked.

Next he asked me if I had been to a big event with other cahcers. When I said that I had not, he said, "Good, if you keep it that way, you might still be able to enjoy it." And at that point his meal came and he said goodbye.

I can already tell from the forums, that to some degree, Geocaching is competitive, which I never would have guessed. But so far, I have been nothing but treated nicely - even as a total noob.

What would you say to what I just typed?

Edited by PapaGPS

So, I am at McDonald's today getting lunch. I have my Garmin around my neck when a guy comes up and asks if I geocache. I told the guy that I was brand new to it, and was enjoying it so far. And THAT set the guy off. He told me in 2 -3 minutes, that most geocachers are jerks - he said he used to be one himself - and way to competitive, with too many jerks who suck the life right out of all the fun. He then told me to get out before I get hooked.

Next he asked me if I had been to a big event with other cahcers. When Ii said that I had not, he said, "Good, if you keep it that way, you might still be able to enjoy it." And at that point his meal came and he said goodbye.

I can already tell from the forums, that to some degree, Geocaching is competitive, which I never would have guessed. But so far, I have been nothing but treated nicely - even as a total noob.

As long as you're dealing with people you're going to meet jerks and gents. Best not to let a few color your impression of the whole.

I've not met any other cachers in person, but the few I've "met" in my local area are pretty cool.

I've met a number of cachers. Most have been neat people and a few have been....odd.

I'm guessing he had a bad experience, hiding, finding, logging or something and just didn't like it.

Depending on where you live you might be a higher number of odd folks- but I have yet to meet anyone who has cached for more then say a few months and found more then 30 finds who was outright rude/mean.

There are lots of cachers who are in it for the numbers. I'm not one of them. I do like the nifty graphs and all that, but overall... numbers aren't much to me.

Ignore the grumpy pants and enjoy caching!

Sounds like one person's bad experience. I've met lots of cachers and not a one of them was a jerk. Many of us techie people are not "life of the party" or "never met a stranger" types of folks, though, so it might take a while to get to know them. But it's worth it!

Don't let one person mess it up for you. Enjoy it for the game that it is. I try to compete against myself more than anything else.

Karl

I can already tell from the forums, that to some degree, Geocaching is competitive, which I never would have guessed.

It doesn't have to be, it's whatever you make of it. There's plenty of cachers who just do it all by themselves, don't go to any events, don't compete with anyone for any numbers of anything else, don't interact with other cachers and just have their fun that way. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by dfx

I've only been to one event. The geocachers there were happy to see each other and complemented people on their hides, etc. It seemed more like a big family reunion then it did a gather of competitors.

My view... geocaching, like anything, is what you make of it. If you try to make it a competitive sport, it will be. You might even fail in that perceived competition and need to deal with it. If, however, you DO NOT make it a competitive sport, you'll find a huge community of like minded people. People who enjoy your stories, share their own, give advice, etc.

Just as in life.. gonna be good apples and bad apples.

I have met a few cachers, some are well snob-ish, others quite cool, been to a few events, nothing bad happened. I cache solo mostly, as is my nature, I just lead a soloist life.

Many will say.."It is not about the numbers"... well yes it is.. if it were not why is it tagged to your profile? So yes we are very competitive, as is the human nature... to best the last guy.

Cache on!

Next he asked me if I had been to a big event with other cahcers. When I said that I had not, he said, "Good, if you keep it that way, you might still be able to enjoy it." And at that point his meal came and he said goodbye.

First, only a small proportion of cachers actually use the forums (fora). This is the more serious forum, and tempers can run high here sometimes, but that's typical of most forums, or so I understand. The Off-Topic forum is more laid back, but also a LOT weirder.

But comparing the forums in general to the geocaching community is kinda like comparing callers in to talk radio to the general public.

And I've been to over 50 events, enjoyed them all, so... Course, I like to think I'm a nice person, if very strange, but doesn't everyone? ;)

Many will say.."It is not about the numbers"... well yes it is.. if it were not why is it tagged to your profile? So yes we are very competitive, as is the human nature... to best the last guy.

I'm not sure I agree. No-one can dispute that there ARE numbers associated with this sport, many will dispute that any numeric metric is important to them. Looking back over your geocaching career, do you remember numbers or beautiful vistas from that hard to reach cache? I'm analytical by nature and love looking at my numbers and graphs and charts, but I don't care AT ALL how I stack up against other geocachers.

I would say that geocaching got a bit better when he left it. Also, if a stranger were to come up to me in a shop and go on like that they are in danger of me being equally frank with them.

Generally, my experience has been, and this doesn't only apply to geocaching but anything in general, especially online: the more you get involved, the more likely you are to get a kick in your rear. Maybe that's what happened to the guy you talked to.

He sounds like a hardcore, FTF kinda guy who got burned a few times. Boo hoo, so sad. I hope he choked on his Big Mac.

He sounds like a very unhappy person. I bet he finds that most of the people in most of the activities he tries are jerks.

You tend to get back what you put out. If you expect people to be jerks, they will be. If you expect that most people are nice, they will be.

And don't be too quick to judge caching based on the forum. I'm much nicer in person than I am on here.

Funny how the guy complaining about jerks was kind of one himself trying to get you out of the sport. With an attitude like that its no wonder he got turned off by the sport. There is competition in most things. Geocaching like any sport has a competitive side to it. Its a good feeling to know you where the FTF on a cache. Or that you've reached a long sought after milestone. Competition often makes the sport more fun. Like challenging a friend to find x number of caches in x time period. Also like any other sport there are those who bend the rules or cheat there way through the game. There are those who get overly competitive. Its not too hard to believe that one caching organization could turn extremely competitive. Its unfortunate if it happens and turns people away but its all human nature.

Please don't let what the guy says discourage you in any way.

I've had great experiences with it so far. Sure there are some odd birds and jerks out there...but there are in every group.

I'm competitive with one other group and thats about it. Its just friendly competition everywhere else....The game is what you make it. Me...I love finding really cool caches.

Every venue will always have the odd nutjob here or there. You just keep your distance from those. Of course I'd think twice about anything I heard in a Micky D's.

And if you cannot tell who the odd nutjob is, it's probably you. B)

One of the HR trainings I went to a while ago had a statement "If you don't know who the 'special snowflake' is in your office, it is you."

Every venue will always have the odd nutjob here or there. You just keep your distance from those. Of course I'd think twice about anything I heard in a Micky D's.

And if you cannot tell who the odd nutjob is, it's probably you. B)

One of the HR trainings I went to a while ago had a statement "If you don't know who the 'special snowflake' is in your office, it is you."

Sounds like the poker player's rule: If you don't know which player is the fish, it's you.

Two words -- Overall Attitude!

His attitude towards you (a geocacher) in McDon... (ugh, it's difficult for me to even type that word) simply reveals that he was the same in geocaching (or even the forums)!

More than likely, he had "forced" issues with Groundspeak or the in forums and may (or may not) have been barred or banned. Once soured, it is difficult for a person to turn it around. Pity him, then let it go.

I'm still relatively new, but the cachers I've met have been very nice people, and very welcoming. As mentioned above, any sufficiently large group of people will have jerks, but for the most part, the community seems to be a positive one.

As for numbers, I have a collector mentality, so I like to see that number go up. But I don't see it as competitive, I don't compare that number to anyone.

I've got people I like at work and some not so much - that's life. The Forums can be a little rough sometimes but that is the nature of the internet. People act and say things they might not in life. Either way you can't let other people opinions on something effect how you feel about something. I hate Peas but I hear other people like them for some reason. :anitongue:

I would say 99% of the cachers I have dealt with are nice people. Some can come off as rude, but if you actually meet them they are nice average people. Yes some people do turn it into a competition. I just avoid caching with those people, let them have their fun their way, and then enjoy their company at events.

1. Geocachers are people. Some people are nice, others are jerks.

2. People, generally speaking, are competitive. I've noticed that people in the United States tend to take their hobbies a little too seriously as well, compared to others I know from Asia and Europe.

3. Lunch? In McDonalds? :D (OK just kidding, your dietary preference is none of my business)

Geocachers are a cross section of the population. Ages 1 to 100, men and woman, rich and poor, nice and not so nice. So of my best friends are people I have meet geocaching. I know of some that have meet their forever mates at a geoevent. I have also meet people I don't want to hang with and I am sure vice versa. Enjoy the things you like about geocaching and ignore the parts you don't. My wife likes going new places we find because of gC but does not like logging them. Enjoy the sport for what it is, A Hobby.

I think you should go to events and it will change you mind. It's so amazing for you to go to one, and have people COME UP TO YOU, asking if you were "Coldgears". Geocachers seem to be nice people, as any type of game where anyone can participate, there can be some "rotten eggs", whether they turn out to be murderer's, or decide to steal caches. For the most part, people seem to be nice, not just the few that go to events, but the few that don't go to events that I met on the, "trail" seem to be very nice too.

Aww shoo! Sometimes you are going to meet people like that. Take his advice with a pinch of salt and keep on caching! :D

Funny how the guy complaining about jerks was kind of one himself trying to get you out of the sport. With an attitude like that its no wonder he got turned off by the sport.

That was pretty much what I was thinking, too. What sort of person is going to go up to a total stranger in a public place and say something like that? Doesn't sound like a very well-balanced person in the first place to me.

I am glad you posted this discussion. You said you are fairly new and this will help you to become a better cacher. The guy you met really has problems. Don't let his problem become one of yours. You seem like a nice person since you did not retaliate. Kudos to you. Geocaching is a fun sport. Yes, some people are in it for the numbers, but a lot are not. I am one who is not all about the numbers. I really enjoy taking the family out to enjoy the outdoors. I have been to several events, and met several cachers on the trail, and they have all been very nice. No one has treated me with anything but respect. I truly hope you do go to some events and meet some really nice people. If you can get to the Geowoodstock event on July 2 you'll meet lots of people and have lots of fun. Check it out. In the meantime, get out there and find some caches. If you're ever out my way, Dalton PA, my wife and I would be glad to have you cache along. Don't let the numbers get to you; just go out and enjoy yourself.

Cache on my friend.

I've had mixed results with regular posters here but have found that a lot of the lurkers are really nice and supportive people.

If events hold any correlation to the forums, then I imagine the guy just ran into some of the more negative, competitive players at the events while most geocachers just play the game and are probably really nice people.

You should not be wearing the GPS lanyard about your neck! Didn't you read the instructions?!? (Hmmm... Why else is there a lanyard??)

Geocaching is what you make of it. If you're having fun, that's all that counts. I've met a large number of cachers on the trail (so to speak). Thirty or forty? Not to mention at events. Fot the most part they area all very nice people (at least as far as geocaching goes.)

Now, I can be a grumpy dolphin. And can get into arguments with COs, or cache finders. (I've got several on my ignore list.) I'm out hunting caches for fun! And, I've been having a lot of fun doing it for almost seven years. And that's what counts! Having fun. If ignoring COs does it, go for it. If ignoring comments from a disgruntled Mickey D's diner does it, go for it. Sounds as though he had a sharp implement imbedded in an embarassing spot. If YOU'RE having fun, that's all that matters.

The best and worst thing about geocaching are the cachers themselves.

And I thought it was the micros. :ph34r:

Blank logs. Where have you been?

No no, blank log topics are scheduled for Tuesdays. Micros are for Saturdays. It's almost Saturday, so it's the micros. But going strictly by schedule, it would be the LPCs. LPCs are generally micros. See? :anitongue:

Caching is what you make of it. Are you bothered by people who are passionate about their hobbies? Are you annoyed by those with strong opinions? If the answer is yes to these questions, caching may not be for you. You can also count out most other hobbies too. Every hobby has its people who have been doing it forever, know it all and aren't afraid to share that. The nice thing about caching is that it doesn't have to be that way. If you are bothered by people like that, you can ignore them. You don't HAVE to go to events and mingle with others. You can grab the LPCs or the ammo cans deep in the forest by yourself, with your best friend, with your spouse/SO or with your dog. The social aspect is not a mandatory aspect of the game.

Edited by Borst68

The best and worst thing about geocaching are the cachers themselves.

And I thought it was the micros. :ph34r:

Blank logs. Where have you been?

No no, blank log topics are scheduled for Tuesdays. Micros are for Saturdays. It's almost Saturday, so it's the micros. But going strictly by schedule, it would be the LPCs. LPCs are generally micros. See? :anitongue:

Yeah... and what kind of logs do people generally leave for LPCs, huh?

I've met what I would guess to be a majority of the more active cachers in my area, and while some I get along with better than others, I definitely wouldn't say that any of them are jerks or otherwise mean people. My interactions with other geocachers have been very positive, save one experience, that started as a joke and ended with some bitterness. And even that was via the intrawebz, and not in person.

I normally don't care much for people in general, but I'd go as far as to say that I like geocachers.

To the OP, most cachers I have met in my short time with the sport are very nice. They are nice in person (like at 3 events I have attended), they are nice on the phone (I have called a few for some "phone a friend" assistance), they are nice in emails (I have done this many, many times) and they are generally nice here in the forums (IMO forums are an easy way to not be nice due to the anonymity but most here are nicer than many other forums on other sites).

Ignore the jerk who made this bad impression on you and you'll have a much more enjoyable experience figuring out what YOU think! cool.gif

(IMO forums are an easy way to not be nice due to the anonymity but most here are nicer than many other forums on other sites).

The real issue is that these forums are heavily policed, no "bad words" at all, and even the slightest hint of trolling and you get banned. There have been a few that have came, got banned and then went. E.G. Ashinkes. It sucks because ashinkes was amazingly funny.

It's so amazing for you to go to one, and have people COME UP TO YOU, asking if you were "Coldgears".

Nobody ever came up to me and ask if I am "Coldgears" :mad: This is discriminatory behavior and I will not stand for it!

ARE YOU NOW, OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN, COLDGEARS???

It's so amazing for you to go to one, and have people COME UP TO YOU, asking if you were "Coldgears".

Nobody ever came up to me and ask if I am "Coldgears" :mad: This is discriminatory behavior and I will not stand for it!

ARE YOU NOW, OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN, COLDGEARS???

Thank you, I now feel strangely fulfilled :P

One of the beauty's of geocaching as a hobby is that it can be lots of different things to a lot of different people. For my wife, it's an opportunity to get me to go for a walk in the woods with her. For me it's a social event, with her, or with others I drag along for a city cache. For some, it's about hiding the caches and seeing if it gets found a lot or a little. I've met cacher's whose favorite is a puzzle. Other's whose favorite thing is to make up puzzles. For some it's the gatherings, though most have probably never attended more than 1. And for some it's a competition, though in my experience that is by far the minority.