Social networking

I would like to see a share button (facebook) added to your log entry page so our friends can see what were finding and maybe get interested in geocaching.

You can already post the link for interesting caches you found on your Wall and share your experiences that way. I've had plenty of people ask me about this "geocaching thing" I do based on nothing more than the Status updates I post.

Yeah, you can already share cache logs this way if you really want to. There's nothing stopping anyone from doing this already. VERY occasionally one of my cacher friends will post a cache (though not a specific log) that was particularly enjoyable. I think it's fine the way it is. BECAUSE it takes a few keystrokes to do, people only share what's really worth it. If it became just one button click, FB would wind up getting an awful lot of cache pages/logs and most people (including me) would ignore them and develop a negative opinion of Geocaching - the way I have with Zynga (the bastards). I don't think Groundspeak wants to increase the population of people who hate geocaching because that sort of thing could lead to more missing caches, I think.

BECAUSE it takes a few keystrokes to do, people only share what's really worth it. If it became just one button click, FB would wind up getting an awful lot of cache pages/logs and most people (including me) would ignore them and develop a negative opinion of Geocaching...

Exactly my thought, although my negative opinion would be more directed towards the poster rather than the content of the posting. I hate having to block friend's from my News Feed because they post too many things, regardless of what it is. Some people just don't seem to understand that flooding your friends with a heavy volume of updates is bad form -- unless you're on Twitter. :laughing:

BECAUSE it takes a few keystrokes to do, people only share what's really worth it. If it became just one button click, FB would wind up getting an awful lot of cache pages/logs and most people (including me) would ignore them and develop a negative opinion of Geocaching...

Exactly my thought, although my negative opinion would be more directed towards the poster rather than the content of the posting. I hate having to block friend's from my News Feed because they post too many things, regardless of what it is. Some people just don't seem to understand that flooding your friends with a heavy volume of updates is bad form -- unless you're on Twitter. :laughing:

This is an excellent point. Many people on Facebook and Twitter HATE Foursquare. And I really think they hate the game, and not the individual flooder. I'll tell you what, Mrs. Yuck just got her first smartphone a couple months ago (a Blackberry), and I tried to convince her to download the Foursquare App and play. No friggin' way. You know why? She has a cousin who posts every single Foursquare check-in to Facebook. Multiple times a day, every day. By the way, I play Foursquare. I even pimp it in my signature line. <_<

Problem is if the button is there there will be those that will feel compelled to push it. Then my facebook account will be a sea of like it's on caches. I'll be forced to start dropping addicted friends. It end up that it will be just be me and StarBrand. Now that I think about it, that might not be such a bad idea after all.

Non Issue. If you don't want to see the posts from Geocaching.com, just hide them using that handy-dandy X:

howtohide.png

Works flawlessly (I use it for Farmville, Yoville, sororitiyville, and so on). No clutter in my feed at all.

Exactly. Take control of your experience rather than trying to control others.