New Reviewers in Ontario

t4e

I am pretty sure Cache Shadow has been around for a little bit (at least since October 2010), but Cachesaurus Rex is only from May 2011. Come on out and take a bow, we have been watching your work! :ph34r:

i noticed Cache Shadow' "sign up" date, but he/she seems to only deal with the long standing NM logs and archiving of caches, its only been recently that i came across his/her name

Submitted a new listing at oh, let's say 8 pm this evening - 10 minutes later CacheShadow had published it. Now that is service par excellance! :omnomnom:

CacheDrone - you listening? :ninja: Oh man, don't tell me I just said that out loud! :cry:

Well, been nice knowing y'all... :ph34r:

Submitted a new listing at oh, let's say 8 pm this evening - 10 minutes later CacheShadow had published it. Now that is service par excellance! :omnomnom:

CacheDrone - you listening? :ninja: Oh man, don't tell me I just said that out loud! :cry:

I'm pretty certain The Geek is kidding, but it was nice to know you anyway. Please ensure you have a maintenance plan in place so your caches can stay active for others to find after you "find the cache at the Pearly Gates" (if you qualify, of course). I'd suggest getting that plan in place before your next canoe trip.

:anibad:

I'm pretty certain The Geek is kidding, but it was nice to know you anyway. Please ensure you have a maintenance plan in place so your caches can stay active for others to find after you "find the cache at the Pearly Gates" (if you qualify, of course). I'd suggest getting that plan in place before your next canoe trip.

:anibad:

Seems to me that The Geek will most likely find this cache (moments?) before the Pearly Gates cache. Particularly if a canoe is involved.

Trust me, I can ignore your EarthCaches indefinitely :ph34r:

And while I have also made the mistake of publishing caches pretty quickly, for the benefit of the cache owner we do try to leave them unreviewed for at least a day in case they want to make some edits, rework things a little. While it is true that the listing should not be submitted for review until you are sure it is ready, sometimes being too quick isn't as good as it sounds.

I'll be sure to let CacheShadow know that you appreciate her efforts. I don't think he reads the forums all that often. Or does she?

:cool: CD

Why do we care who the reviewer is? I'm not saying I don't care, I'm just wondering why we do.

and why not?...if you care you do want to know

we are humans and naturally inclined to interact (true at least for most) with other humans, perhaps because we like to know who our "leaders" are?

what i don't understand is why would they want to stay anonymous

Edited by t4e

Why do we care who the reviewer is? I'm not saying I don't care, I'm just wondering why we do.

we are humans and naturally inclined to interact (true at least for most) with other humans, perhaps because we like to know who our "leaders" are?

I would imagine that a VR may wish to stay anonymous for many different reasons, not the least of which is that part of the Human Condition that always seems to prod us along toward the answer to the next "burning" question... and once that's satisfied, there's always the next "burning" question, ad nauseam. While it may not bother me, per se, I seems logical that once you cross the line to being an out-of-the-closet reviewer, your interactions with other cachers seems to be dominated by "X" cache or "Y" caching question, and perhaps that's not the VR's cup of tea. I would think that having anonymity allows a VR to enjoy both sides in relative peace.

It also seems logical that a VR may wish to stay anonymous for as long as they feel comfortable so that they gain a certain credibility. Quite frankly, a person who is nominated by other VR's (and ultimately selected by Groundspeak) should probably already have our respect in any decision made regarding the caches listed on this site, but I can foresee petty little squabbles about "I would have never chosen that person because of "Z" reason". In this case, the anonymity allows the reviewer to hone their craft and build a rapport with cachers without prejudice, and if/when that person feels as though they'd be OK with their identity known, it'll be an easier transition.

I would imagine that a VR may wish to stay anonymous for many different reasons, not the least of which is that part of the Human Condition that always seems to prod us along toward the answer to the next "burning" question... and once that's satisfied, there's always the next "burning" question, ad nauseam. While it may not bother me, per se, I seems logical that once you cross the line to being an out-of-the-closet reviewer, your interactions with other cachers seems to be dominated by "X" cache or "Y" caching question, and perhaps that's not the VR's cup of tea. I would think that having anonymity allows a VR to enjoy both sides in relative peace.

It also seems logical that a VR may wish to stay anonymous for as long as they feel comfortable so that they gain a certain credibility. Quite frankly, a person who is nominated by other VR's (and ultimately selected by Groundspeak) should probably already have our respect in any decision made regarding the caches listed on this site, but I can foresee petty little squabbles about "I would have never chosen that person because of "Z" reason". In this case, the anonymity allows the reviewer to hone their craft and build a rapport with cachers without prejudice, and if/when that person feels as though they'd be OK with their identity known, it'll be an easier transition.

i can understand your point, and i am in no way demanding to know, i just think that it would be nice...but i guess it ultimately depends on each individual's personality

my comments are made in light of my own personality, if it was me i would want it to be public knowledge, after all it is something well earned and good reason to be proud of

and if i was to be approached like you say, to discuss everything from a reviewer perspective, if that was something i was not prepared to discuss i would certainly make it clear that the subject is off limits

with all that said, seems that at least one of them got the "dirty" job of dealing with long standing NM logs, they definitely have a good reason to keep their anonymity :anibad:

i can understand your point, and i am in no way demanding to know, i just think that it would be nice...but i guess it ultimately depends on each individual's personality

Completely understood. I agree, it's fun to speculate, and if they're ever ready, they'll let folks know. Or they won't, cuz that's their option. While many VR's are OK with the public light, I imagine that some will choose to never be "known". It may be nice to put a cacher to the reviewer's face, but we understand that it's not something we're entitled to.

my comments are made in light of my own personality, if it was me i would want it to be public knowledge, after all it is something well earned and good reason to be proud of

and if i was to be approached like you say, to discuss everything from a reviewer perspective, if that was something i was not prepared to discuss i would certainly make it clear that the subject is off limits

I wonder if a VR has that option when their identity becomes common knowledge? Certainly, in my own conversations with other VRs, some items are off limits, and that's completely understandable. However, if a player asks a caching related question to a publicly known VR, perhaps the onus is on that VR to assist wherever possible; mentoring (and the love/desire to do so) seems to be an automatic pre-requisite for a position like that, and the game simply isn't furthered without communication between the two sides, IMO.

with all that said, seems that at least one of them got the "dirty" job of dealing with long standing NM logs, they definitely have a good reason to keep their anonymity :anibad:

Haha... yeah, they certainly did. I think (hope?) many would agree, though, that it's a necessary process. Everyday life often takes precedence over caching life, and as a result, many caches become lonely and unmaintained and really should be cleared off the grid. With a "reaper" on board, I think the idea is to make the overall experience as positive and "Find" filled as possible. I thank them immensely for what is almost certainly a largely thankless task.

CacheDrone woke me up and told me to check the Canada forums. Now I know why.

Hello Canada.

For the record I do prefer my Reviewer profile to be separate from my Player profile.

Reviewing messages go to my Reviewer email account. Personal messages go to my personal email account.

This helps me to keep the fun I have geocaching with my friends and family separate from my responsibilities as a Reviewer.

I have enjoyed reviewing and publishing many caches and I look forward to working with you all more in the future.

I apologize that this isn't a very colorful or creative introduction.

It is very early!

With best regards

CacheShadow

For the record I do prefer my Reviewer profile to be separate from my Player profile.

With best regards

CacheShadow

that is the custom, we, or should i say I, were looking to link the two :P:anibad:

nice of you to come say "Hello", please do set the alarm and come visit us more often :D

Althought it is nice to put a face to the name, knowing who a reviewer is, is really not nessessary.

It is however helpful to have a rough idea of their geographical location. If you are working with a reviewer on a publication, It would be nice to know how much info about the area you really need to provide. If they are say from Toronto, and the publication is in Sudbury, you may need to provide a lot more info, supporting documentation, and/or photos to help the reviewer understand the area and other issues.

Althought it is nice to put a face to the name, knowing who a reviewer is, is really not nessessary.

It is however helpful to have a rough idea of their geographical location. If you are working with a reviewer on a publication, It would be nice to know how much info about the area you really need to provide. If they are say from Toronto, and the publication is in Sudbury, you may need to provide a lot more info, supporting documentation, and/or photos to help the reviewer understand the area and other issues.

One should always write note to reviewer to give a clear idea of set up / location / ideas or just make the reviewer smile. I did not know about a few parks really close to home despite living here for YEARS til I started geocaching. It also saves the reviewer from making assumptions and thus, saves some of the back and forth. It may lead to a cache being published faster. Some may tell you that having a reviewer know the area doesn't help, or so I assume.

But back on topic, welcome to the new reviewers, happy to be working with you.

The problem with knowing the whereabouts or the true name of a reviewer is when you get a disgruntled cache hider that doesn't get their cache published for whatever reason(s). Does the reviewer have to fear for their life because of their decision not to allow a cache be published? I personally would prefer the reviewer to stay anonymous. However, I just think of the chaos there would be without a reviewer. My hats off for all reviewers.

I personally want to thank CacheShadow for the help he/she gave me in getting a published cache. Thank you to Cachesaurus Rex for pointing out another cache in the area of a failed hide (one I didn't know existed)...I too want to abide by all the rules. Anything I did wrong at setting my caches up I should slap my own wrist for not doing my homework properly. Now it is a challenge to abide by the rules and still publish another cache in the same vicinity as my failed cache.

Does the reviewer have to fear for their life because of their decision not to allow a cache be published?

they may get pied but i am 99.999999% sure they don't have to fear for their life

this is a game after all and i don't think anyone would go as far as having ill thoughts and hold grudges against any reviewer for any reason

Hello Canada forums

I love finding geo's on discgolf courses!!!

Um. Off topic. You should start a new thread.

Back on topic: I don't feel any burning desire to out Ontario's newer reviewers. If I have a problem with any of them, there's an appeals process in place (appeals@geocaching.com) that doesn't require me to know the personal details of a volunteer reviewer.

The sad fact of the matter is there are indeed people who will take this hobby beyond the game that it is and cause real concerns to a reviewer if they don't get their way. If a reviewer decides to reveal the cloak of secrecy and tell the world who they are, that is their decision alone.

If I was a reviewer I'm quite certain I wouldn't want people calling me up at work to get their cache reviewed quicker.

If I was a reviewer I'm quite certain I wouldn't want people calling me up at work to get their cache reviewed quicker.

ooh come on you don't see how much fun it will be to say "Review your cache, i don't see any cache submitted by you" :anibad:

In fact .... [type type type] I don't see any caches [ type type enter type ] ever submitted by you. [type type] or finds for that matter. :ph34r:

No one, and I mean NO ONE, jumps the line because they know a reviewer. Some of my friends have been known to text me to give me some update about something or have a question about a guideline, but often I still reply with "Can you email me at my reviewer account?". But I think it would be accurate to say that they ALL know that they are friends with BQ and that CD does not have a cell phone. Maybe you guys can petition Groundspeak to provide us all with iPhones :ph34r:

As a Volunteer, I don't care for being Voluntold when to do it. Only one cacher can reach me at work LOL.

WHAT!!???!

The reviewers are not going to publish their home and work numbers?? AND, not a cell and pager so I can get hold of them day and night?

Ohh come on... That is ridiculous... How am I supposed to hound them about caches, complain about the speed of reviews, and generally annoy them for the crappy way they volunteer their time for free so I can play this game???? This is all about ME isn't it?

WOW... I for one am shocked, no appalled at their unwillingness to serve me...

:)

DD

No one, and I mean NO ONE, jumps the line because they know a reviewer. Some of my friends have been known to text me to give me some update about something or have a question about a guideline, but often I still reply with "Can you email me at my reviewer account?". But I think it would be accurate to say that they ALL know that they are friends with BQ and that CD does not have a cell phone. Maybe you guys can petition Groundspeak to provide us all with iPhones :ph34r:

As a Volunteer, I don't care for being Voluntold when to do it. Only one cacher can reach me at work LOL.

This is slightly off-topic, but directed at the Ontario reviewers so here I shall post.

I saw something interesting the the new-style feature request forum, where someone indicated that reviewers in Finland manually time-stamp their publication logs.

I had a look at the first cache that appeared when I typed "Finland" in the search-with-google-maps page, and it seems to be true:

http://coord.info/GL6JQ32J

Would it be possible for that to happen here?

The FTF crowd here usually time stamps their find -- it'd be cool to see elapsed time from publication.

EDIT: fix spelling, embed link

Edited by frinklabs

Please provide us with your new address. I'm not stalking CD or anything, it's just that I got an archival notice for the cache at his house. :laughing:

Strange since CD never placed any physical caches, only hosted two events. :ph34r:

Please provide us with your new address. I'm not stalking CD or anything, it's just that I got an archival notice for the cache at his house. :laughing:

Strange since CD has never placed any physical caches... {snicker}...

edit - post didn't stick last try, inconsistent site response from server.

Edited by CacheDrone

This is slightly off-topic, but directed at the Ontario reviewers so here I shall post.

I saw something interesting the the new-style feature request forum, where someone indicated that reviewers in Finland manually time-stamp their publication logs.

I had a look at the first cache that appeared when I typed "Finland" in the search-with-google-maps page, and it seems to be true:

http://coord.info/GL6JQ32J

Would it be possible for that to happen here?

The FTF crowd here usually time stamps their find -- it'd be cool to see elapsed time from publication.

EDIT: fix spelling, embed link

I wonder if this off-topic post might best be served as a feature request? While it's not my cup of tea, clearly there is a subset of players who enjoy the race for FTF and this request may benefit more than just Ontario.

You may find the Geocaching.com feature request thread here.

Edited by Dr. House

bare in mind that the reviewers don't necessarily read the forums

There was a marginally on-topic joke post after the initial request so I it appears at least one of the Ontario reviewers reads the forums.

I wonder if this off-topic post might best be served as a feature request? While it's not my cup of tea, clearly there is a subset of players who enjoy the race for FTF and this request may benefit more than just Ontario.

The topic of this thread is directed at the Ontario reviewers which is why I put the (pre-qualified as being slightly) off topic request within.

It was a feature request that originally led me to make the request -- I linked to it in my post. Here it is again.

That thread is for a (now SUBMITTED) feature to allow for insertion of a visit time stamp on a log by the website, which is why it is in a forum for website feature requests and bug reports.

This was more of a reviewer feature request and I am certain that this fact would have been pointed out, had I attempted to create a [FEATURE] thread for it in that forum.

Perhaps I should create a new thread within the Canada sub-forum?

bare in mind that the reviewers don't necessarily read the forums

There was a marginally on-topic joke post after the initial request so I it appears at least one of the Ontario reviewers reads the forums.

The topic of this thread is directed at the Ontario reviewers which is why I put the (pre-qualified as being slightly) off topic request within.

It was a feature request that originally led me to make the request -- I linked to it in my post. Here it is again.

That thread is for a (now SUBMITTED) feature to allow for insertion of a visit time stamp on a log by the website, which is why it is in a forum for website feature requests and bug reports.

This was more of a reviewer feature request and I am certain that this fact would have been pointed out, had I attempted to create a [FEATURE] thread for it in that forum.

Perhaps I should create a new thread within the Canada sub-forum?

IMO, yes. Seems more logical to me to do that in case your request takes over this forum thread which seems more geared toward the idea of "being a reviewer". Not only that, but cachers (and VR's, since they do indeed visit these forums) can notice that topic and weigh in.

Apologies for not noticing your link initially.