multi caches

So I hid my first multi cache in a local park

Not a physical Stage one, but it takes you to our towns Time Capsle

Do some math and takes you to the pine tree (two hundred ft away)(I know, but its a fun container) for the final

I took a bison tube and put it in a fake green apple and put that in the pine tree

the hint is paeplinpe and you unscramble to get "pineapple"

One find sine April 7 (published April 5)

Lots of finds on the traditionals surrounding this multi

And same with the multi on the edge of town, its avoided, and there is a traditional on the way to the Stage One of the outskirt multi that people grab

So are Multi's not so popular??

Racettes

Multi's are my favorite cache type. Some people can't understand why I want to get only one smiley for finding more than one cache, but I guess that just makes the smiley more valuable to me. Nice thing about multi's is that you can never know just where you are going to go until you get there, making the hikes more of an adventure and less of a trek.

Do some math and takes you to the pine tree (two hundred ft away)(I know, but its a fun container) for the final

I took a bison tube and put it in a fake green apple and put that in the pine tree

And same with the multi on the edge of town, its avoided, and there is a traditional on the way to the Stage One of the outskirt multi that people grab

Racettes

Around here they definitely get fewer finds but they generally get more favorite votes.

Racettes

personally, i love a good multi, but I shy away from them if I have other things to do and I'm not sure how long they will take. I usually cache between errands and am on a time limit. I really like it when the CO discloses on the cache page how many stages/if they are close, or involve driving and any other info to help estimate how long I will have to devote to the cache.

There are many multi's in my area that take days to find, I'd like to know going in how much of a commitment it is

Only the Real Cachers enjoy a good multi. So just sit and wait you probably get more than a TFTC for a log.

I have what I would consider a very easy multi in a park that was built around a pioneer cemetery, and the tombstones are still there scattered amongst playground equipment. This is a very interesting place, and as I said, it's pretty easy, just taking a few numbers off the tombstones. It has 5 favorite votes, and I'm lucky if it gets found 5 times a year (placed in 2006). However, I did just look, and a "TFTC" log was bestowed upon me in October 2009, pretty early what with the current "TFTC" revolution and all. :lol:

But yeah, people pretty much avoid multi-caches like the plague. Nothing you can do about it, but sit back and wait for the (usually) nice logs, all while the nearby traditionals get found like crazy.

I skip most of them these days. I have for years. I have hidden a couple of them, but tend to shy away from them now. Funny... I used to think of them as being more creative, somehow. Now I think most of them are a pain. I have found a few, however, that were exceptional.

I love, love, love multi caches! But I'm weird since I have no problem spending an entire day working on one very good multi-stage cache. Shoot. Tomorrow I'm going to drive out of my way to attempt two multis and those will be the only two caches attempted all weekend. A multi is great since it can take you on a fantastic journey and for me that's ultimately what it's about.

You definitely won't get as many logs but like previous posters said, the logs you get will generally be good ones. Just make sure the multi is on point and as good as you can make it. A mediocre multi will end up being a waste of both your time and the seekers time. If it's something that would be better broken up into single caches, then yeah, you should probably do that.

If it's well setup and you put your heart into it, just be patient and the good logs will come.

The group I am a part of is called TwistedWhiskers and we have and 18 stage multi out there and while it usually takes a while for people to find it, they usually give it a favorite point. I think multis are just found less because most people wait for a nice day that they have alot of time to spare. I think it is also important to make multis interesting because alot of people wouldnt waste precious geotime on a boring multi. You have got to lure them in! :) lol

Edited by GirlWizard

I really enjoy a well thought multi. I definitely prefer it when a cache owner lets me know how many stages there are and how much hiking will be involved, as I am an old fat crippled guy who gets to be hurting after a few miles. But I think us multi lovers are becoming less common. In this day and age, instant gratification is the norm, and hiking more than 10' from the minivan might accidentally burn a calorie.

I really like Multis, but there aren't a lot here. I tend to pick a park that looks like it has a few neat spots and clear it out. If there is a mulit we definitely always do it, but our ratio of multi-caches to traditionals is pretty low just due to a lack of multis.

I think the best way to encourage more people to attempt multis would be to give an approximate time, and distance needed to complete them. For example, takes about 20 minutes, total walking distance about 400 metres (1320 feet), happy hunting. This way cachers can decide if that is going to fit into their schedule. At most multis you have no way of knowing how long you will be there.

In Europe multis outnumber traditionals by far, take a look around Prague, Czech Republic.

Love your cache idea. No, multis are definately not as popular. There may be a number of people interested, but they haven't quite got to it yet. I have a multi which I put alot of work into that's not found very often, but the people that do are pleased they did it. I have a traditional which basically I tossed under a log and it's found all the time. On weekends, sometimes 5x a day, it's crazy.

There's some ways to improve though. You can ask someone to edit your cache page for you. Having a very quick summary at the top will help alot, letting people know approx how many minutes/distance the whole thing will take.

I personally love a good multicache. A lot of people do whats easiest. But you will get at least one more find soon. Im from Winsted but I moved to Norway a few years ago. Me and my gf are coming back for a one month vacation at the end of june and we allready have your multi down as a must find. So we are excited to find it at least!!

I think the best way to encourage more people to attempt multis would be to give an approximate time, and distance needed to complete them. For example, takes about 20 minutes, total walking distance about 400 metres (1320 feet), happy hunting. This way cachers can decide if that is going to fit into their schedule. At most multis you have no way of knowing how long you will be there.

In Europe multis outnumber traditionals by far, take a look around Prague, Czech Republic.

100%. Most of my multis have this info. It won't do anything for people who automatically filter multis, but it will help anyone looking at the cache page to decide if they have the time to do it. It's best to have the info at the top, so they can find it quickly.

I tend to give multis a glance but will avoid them for a couple reasons.

1. If one stage on that thing is not maintained it all goes to pot. I'm not into raising my numbers but I do like to actually find caches. If I didn't I would just do hiking. And if I don't even have a chance at find a cache because one of the stages of it is a mess it's just kind of annoying.

2. For a bunch of multis you don't know what kind of time commitment you're looking at it. Is it 2 stages, 20 stages or what? If it's said up front how many stages there and the distances we'll be covering I'm more likely to give it a glance than just one with "here's your starting coordinates have fun." I plan my caching trips out with the intention to get some specific caches. If I'm noodling around an extensive multi it takes time away from those other caches.

In parts of the UK that I'm familiar with, it's definitely a Numbers/Mindset combination. You could set a circular trail of half a dozen Traditionals #1-#6 and cachers will turn up in their hordes. You could set the same route as an equivalent stage Multi and you will attract a considerably smaller number of cachers. You could put all the details you want in the Multi's description but it would make little difference; it's primarily not a time/distance issue, as in my experience the #1-#6 Trail cachers will happily walk quite some distance over quite some time for their 6 Smileys. Sure there will be the odd exception where a cacher will have thought "What if the 5th stage of the Multi is missing and I can't complete; therefore I won't start this one" but in practice I think this consideration is insignificant compared with the combination of Numbers ("Yippee, 6 Smileys") and Mindset ("Traditionals good, Multis bad -- too much effort"), even if I don't agree with that mindset!

My advice is to continue to set the types of cache that you like to find and hopefully reconcile the situation of cachers seeming to overlook your caches as being "their loss"!

I prefer multi's with 'Question to Answer' stages.

(Find the info on a sign, count the columns etc)

And less chance of stages going missing, and being unable to finish the cache.

If I'm having to search for micro's and Nano's to get the next set of co-ords, I might as well be getting the numbers!

And, some idea of how many stages and time taken is nice. OK, if it's a walk around a nice village/town it might take me longer, but some idea of how long it will take would be nice!

Thanks for all the comments on Multis - my suspicions have been pretty much confirmed, its all about the quick grabs and move along - and thats OK :)

I have thought about changing from a Multi to a Traditional - but Im sticking to my guns here

I think I have a good cache going - check out my listing

<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=14e04347-7a35-4b02-9548-4fb3e0db6ff7">GC2RMFQ</a>

I did take the advice from a few posts here and added this to my listing

This Two Stage Multi should be a quick find for you, both stages are located in the park and should take about 10-15 minutes out of your day depeding on how long it takes you to decoded the Final Location.

This is a small park, you can walk from Stage one to Stage two in like 30 seconds :)

We'll see with the big Winstock Country Fest going on if I get some more hits with an extra 10K people in town - theres gotta be some cachers amongst them :)

Thanks everyone!!

Racettes

I agree with your opinion that Multis do not get as many hit.

I have a multi (2-stage 2/2.5) in a town park. 19 finds since last August.

In April, another cacher stuck a blinkie on the 1st stage (that is not really a spoiler, it is a long fence). It has 19 finds already.

I do not think it is so much disdain for multis as much as the blinkie cache gets more people that are in a hurry. I have to say that if I am somewhere with lots of time on my hands, I look for a multi. If I am on a business trip or vacation, and maybe only have a short period of free time to cache, I tend to end up focusing on the quicker ones.

Only the Real Cachers enjoy a good multi. So just sit and wait you probably get more than a TFTC for a log.

I have what I would consider a very easy multi in a park that was built around a pioneer cemetery, and the tombstones are still there scattered amongst playground equipment. This is a very interesting place, and as I said, it's pretty easy, just taking a few numbers off the tombstones. It has 5 favorite votes, and I'm lucky if it gets found 5 times a year (placed in 2006). However, I did just look, and a "TFTC" log was bestowed upon me in October 2009, pretty early what with the current "TFTC" revolution and all. :lol:

But yeah, people pretty much avoid multi-caches like the plague. Nothing you can do about it, but sit back and wait for the (usually) nice logs, all while the nearby traditionals get found like crazy.

Quick multis might get more visits if Groundspeak provided multi-cache attributes - one for a time estimate (under a half hour, half hour to an hour, over an hour) and an attribute for # of stages (2-stage, 3-stage, more then 3-stages). When visiting out of town I tend to skip multis because I don't know how long it will likely take.

Quick multis might get more visits if Groundspeak provided multi-cache attributes - one for a time estimate (under a half hour, half hour to an hour, over an hour) and an attribute for # of stages (2-stage, 3-stage, more then 3-stages). When visiting out of town I tend to skip multis because I don't know how long it will likely take.

That might help, cause I think there are quite a few people that don't really read the description very closely.

In parts of the UK that I'm familiar with, it's definitely a Numbers/Mindset combination. You could set a circular trail of half a dozen Traditionals #1-#6 and cachers will turn up in their hordes. You could set the same route as an equivalent stage Multi and you will attract a considerably smaller number of cachers. You could put all the details you want in the Multi's description but it would make little difference; it's primarily not a time/distance issue, as in my experience the #1-#6 Trail cachers will happily walk quite some distance over quite some time for their 6 Smileys. Sure there will be the odd exception where a cacher will have thought "What if the 5th stage of the Multi is missing and I can't complete; therefore I won't start this one" but in practice I think this consideration is insignificant compared with the combination of Numbers ("Yippee, 6 Smileys") and Mindset ("Traditionals good, Multis bad -- too much effort"), even if I don't agree with that mindset!

My advice is to continue to set the types of cache that you like to find and hopefully reconcile the situation of cachers seeming to overlook your caches as being "their loss"!

I agree. What is happening here isn't so much people being put off by multis, but that they are attracted to series of caches rather than a single cache which is on it's own without others nearby. These series make nice patterns on the map, and mean more smilies...

Totally unscientific... but for example; This multi and This Traditional involve similar amounts of walking, and have similar (low) find rates.

While nearby caches which are part of a ring of 10 or more caches get many more finds.

I wonder... if someone set a ring of 20 different multis... if they would get lots of finds?

I skip most of them these days. I have for years. I have hidden a couple of them, but tend to shy away from them now. Funny... I used to think of them as being more creative, somehow. Now I think most of them are a pain. I have found a few, however, that were exceptional.

Good thought there. A multi that you go to and get some information and then go a short distance to find the cache doesn't always make sense. Sometimes it is a multi for no reason other than the placer wanted to make it one. I generally feel that multi's should have a reason for the multiple stops. A tour of an area is a great use. Multi's will generally get way fewer visitors than a traditional. Some people filter them out of their queries (I know when I travel I do) and a bunch just don't want to take the time. I have a nice 7 stage driving tour of my small area that after the rush at the start probably only gets a few hits a year.

Multis do get less traffic than Traditionals. EVERYTHING gets less traffic than Traditionals. I think it's a combination of "OMG multis are hard and take a long time" and "multis only give me one smiley".

I would make sure to note in your cache description that this is an Offset Cache so people know they're going to a Virtual then solving for the Final. If it were a non-Offset Multi, I would note the distance and # stages involved.

I enjoy a good multi. Yours sounds like a good offset cache and a neat container. If you lived near me, I would certainly go look for this cache.

It's ok people, I'll point out the obvious here.. humans are generally lazy AND trying to outdo each other. A dichotomy? Perhaps.

I love multicaches if they are short and sweet. While I've found a few long and drawn out multicaches, I admit that I avoid the real obvious long ones unless I know the reward is worth it. I especially dislike the really long, (too) MANY stage caches and the "auto tours".

I prefer multi's with 'Question to Answer' stages.

(Find the info on a sign, count the columns etc)

And less chance of stages going missing, and being unable to finish the cache.

If I'm having to search for micro's and Nano's to get the next set of co-ords, I might as well be getting the numbers!

It's funny that I feel the opposite! Faced with a similar Multi route, I would far rather find physical intermediate stages than be counting words on a sign etc. (Off topic: Just as with the one Chirp cache that I've found, where I would rather have found a nicely disguised micro clue than simply have some coordinates magically appear on my Garmin when I wandered near a tree.) However, I do appreciate that the need for maintenance requires more trust in the COs of physical-rich Multis.

Personally, I find a well-designed Multi, with inventive and well-themed physical stages, to be a generally more coherent caching experience than either a Multi with virtual stages (especially where the date on a random bench isn't necessarily relevant to the theme), or the equivalent route as a #1-#6 trail of Traditionals (e.g. where container design may be constrained by the need for logs and swaps, and I have to keep signing bits of paper!).

But then again, I don't care two hoots for Numbers :rolleyes:

I just saw this forum topic. I live in your general area. Last summer we found the multi on the edge of town and all the traditionals in the area. I have looked at the writeup your this cache. I looked at the following from the cache page

"Take the following numbers; which have a relevance to the quote

1 3 8 11 14 18 – add these numbers up and add them to the Listed North Coord and get your Final Stage North Coord (44 57.***)

Take the following numbers; which have a relevance to the quote

2-5-7 subtract these numbers in that order then find 16-17 subtract these two numbers and add the two answers then take that number and add it to the Listed West Coord and get your Final Stage West Coord (094 02.***)"

This just seemed too confusing and not worth the while to me. It was not that this is a multi. In fact, that paragraph seems to make it a puzzle rather than a multi. If we get back into the area, this will probably be the last cache that we look for, however, that is because the cache writeup seems to be extra work which doesn't seem to add to the caching experience, not because it is an multi. Why doesn;t the first stage just direct you to the second stage, or have you take numbers from the experience at the first stage?

Depends on the area. In parts of Europe (Germany, Austria for example) traditional caches are more like the exception. Many areas there are littered with multis and mysteries.

I know you spent some time in Europe, but I think this is an exaggeration. We cached around Europe for a couple years, I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that traditionals are the exception. More puzzles and multis than in the US, absolutely, but there are still plenty of traditional caches around, and they are still the most numerous type.

Adding to my earlier post. I reread the cache page. The only finder of the cache was apparently confused by the writeup because they didn't actually solve the puzzle to get the correct coordinates. They only got to the correct place by calling the cache owner. See below. I will not look for this cache because the cache page is confusing, not because it is a multi.

"I saw this cache pop up and thought I would call Racettes and see if he wanted to find it with me. Then I notice that it is HIS cache! I was just on the outskirt of Winsted 20 minutes before I checked my email (I had to take a short motorcycle ride) (yes, HAD) :)

I got the the time capsule and wrote down the quote on some paper that I had brought with me. Back to the van I went, as it was dark out there! It seemed pretty straight forward. I did my math and plugged the new coordinates into my GPS and headed out to find this cache. My GPS kept taking me to a little twig of a tree, this just did not seem right. I tried again and still ended up in the same place. I checked the obvious location and came up empty handed.

I went around the park with my small flasjlight, looking in all the places that looked like they could have a cache in them and still nothing. :( I tried the coordinates again and came to the came twig. SO, I called the CO to check my coods. He said I had them right, and then I explained where they led me. He let me know that I wasn't at the right spot. Maybe the weather, russians, gods, aliens, were interfereing with my GPS. I decoded the hint and headed out to the cache site.'

Depends on the area. In parts of Europe (Germany, Austria for example) traditional caches are more like the exception. Many areas there are littered with multis and mysteries.

I know you spent some time in Europe, but I think this is an exaggeration.

And that's exacttly what it was supposed to be :P

Of my 5000 or so finds over 1700 are Multis. They are about the only type of cache I hunt these days. I find they offer more creativity than regular caches do. I've never found so many Multi Caches in a day that I can't remember them individually and write a unique log for each. Maybe I'm just more of a geocaching purist, but they are just what I like to spend my geocaching time on.

Edited by Digital_Dan

I have no problem with multis in and of themselves, but it does take more planning for me to go after them. There's very little "If I'm in the area, I'll just grab x or y." That's not a bad thing, per se, but I just find it hard to be spontaneous when I may have to find 6 stages and God knows where they are until I start finding stages.

Still like 'em, though.

1. If one stage on that thing is not maintained it all goes to pot. I'm not into raising my numbers but I do like to actually find caches. If I didn't I would just do hiking. And if I don't even have a chance at find a cache because one of the stages of it is a mess it's just kind of annoying.

Yes, besides the unknown time it will take, this is also a big reason why I'm reluctant to do out-of-town multis - missing stage, can't read the faded/washed out coordinates at a stage, a stage that I am unable to find it because I messed up a calculation or don't understand the instructions. It's frustrating and if it's too far out-of-town I may never be able to get back to finish it.

I am sometimes amazed at how judgmental forum posters can be. If you like multis, and someone else doesn't it must be because they are lazy, numbers hounds and not "real cachers" (whatever that is. :unsure: ).

I have limited mobility. About the third time I started a multi, and found half way through I couldn't finish it, I lost interest in them. It has nothing to do with numbers.

Although I am retired, I do sometimes have time constraints. If I can't get an estimate of how long the cache will take, I will skip it.

I don't like puzzles either, don't do very many of those. Does that mean I'm lazy, stupid, or "not a real cacher"?

Come on people grow up! There are a lot of reasons others don't like the same thing you do. It doesn't make you somehow better then them, or they some how less then you.

Multis get avoided because

1) "Mathematical Incorrectness" - I do the math and end up with a double digit number that has to go into a single digit spot. A CO told me I'm supposed to drop the 'tens' spot in a email. How am I supposed to know that in the field?

2) Ambiguous questions

3) Puzzle caches disguised as Multis

4) Do an eight part Multi and Stage Seven is gone

5) Half the time the final coords seem to be 50 feet off

6) No checksum or coord verifier.

7) Do an eight part Multi and get credit for one find. It common now to instead have six to eight Trad's and an Unknown for a final. That way you visit all the caches and get credit for multiple finds.

8) The description is in HTML rendering your GPS's useless.

9) They can take a lot of time

Yes, besides the unknown time it will take, this is also a big reason why I'm reluctant to do out-of-town multis - missing stage, can't read the faded/washed out coordinates at a stage, a stage that I am unable to find it because I messed up a calculation or don't understand the instructions. It's frustrating and if it's too far out-of-town I may never be able to get back to finish it.

We learnt that the hard way! We were doing a 9 stage, 1600 miles away from home. It took us 3 hours to get to the final stage area, and it was missing. We still we try some when we are away, but we make sure it's been found recently and it's not over 2-3 stages.

In my area:

-Most multis are deep in the woods and take several hours to complete

-local premium members award 99% of their favorite points toward multis

-Most of the best swag are in multis

-Most travel bugs and geocoins go into multis... when you think about it, most trackable items are stolen by newbies out of ignorance or they disappear from geocaching altogether... by leaving trackables in D3/T3 caches and up, they're more likely to avoid being stolen!

-Most travel bugs and geocoins go into multis... when you think about it, most trackable items are stolen by newbies out of ignorance or they disappear from geocaching altogether... by leaving trackables in D3/T3 caches and up, they're more likely to avoid being stolen!

... and more likely to sit there for ages waiting for someone to come and pick them up.

Well, at least in those areas that don't have a lot of multis and not a lot of people do them.

All very interesting and all very good points

Emailing back and forth with a local cacher, who's got more exp in this than I do, Im going to do some revamping of the listing so it doesnt seem as confusing

I want to make this as easy as a grab as I can

Bear & Ragged - Ill work on easing this up difficulty wise, you make a valid point

I went w/a micro though as I wanted to have a fun container, not just just a pill bottle/PB jar in a pine tree

I want the finder to smile when the make the find and go "thats what that hint meant"

And it still needed to be concealed as this is a heavily used park by children

Essap - Ill work on making it less confusing, not what I was going for, it seemed pretty straight forward, but again, I was the one thinking about it, not looking at it from a finders perspective

Avernar - I used a scrammbled hint so it wasnt so painfully obvious where to find the final stage, if I said Pineapple, then why bother visiting the Time Capsle (why I placed a cache here to begin with) - theres only one pine tree in this park and I w

Going to check my coords again for the umteenth time, just to be safe and work on rewording this so its easier to find

Thanks Everyone!!! All your input/advice is Greatly Appreciated!!

Racettes

Well I love a good multi cache, but if it is just a micro at the end I would skip it. Why? I cache with 3 kids most of the time and they would be disappointed to follow the treasure map and end up with nothing to look through at the end. There is a 7 stage one I would love to do, but the 4th stage seems to be missing, so I will be waiting that out, plus it is in the woods and I kinda have a fear of the copperheads that might be there :lol:

Well I love a good multi cache, but if it is just a micro at the end I would skip it. Why? I cache with 3 kids most of the time and they would be disappointed to follow the treasure map and end up with nothing to look through at the end. There is a 7 stage one I would love to do, but the 4th stage seems to be missing, so I will be waiting that out, plus it is in the woods and I kinda have a fear of the copperheads that might be there :lol:

If you arent doing it cause its a micro - then Im all cool with that, everyone has their reasons for not doing micros, Im pretty sure its been beaten to death on the forums. Im sure when my two year old is a bit older Ill focus on more the regulars for the swag reason

I did go w/a Micro as this is a small park, there is two spots for a small to regular, but a property line issue kept me from placing it in one spot, and I wanted to make the Pine Tree a fun find, but keep it concealed as this place is teaming w/kids on a nice day. I also like to make them Winter Friendly as MN Winters can dump lots of snow, so I like to keep them off the ground if I can and the first spot I mentioned is on the ground, I actually got opinions back last fall about this park on where to place a hide.. and the pine tree was pretty much the concensuss (however you spell that word :) )

7) Do an eight part Multi and get credit for one find. It common now to instead have six to eight Trad's and an Unknown for a final. That way you visit all the caches and get credit for multiple finds.

Multi caches that invite for a walk/hike of at least one hour with question to answer stages are my favourite cache type.

I do not visit caches to get credit for whatever. I wish to spend some nice hours outdoors and wish to write up what I experienced during my walk/hike in an appropriate log. If I am doing one multi cache along a 10km hike, I simply mention all my experiences in the log for this cache. In the case of a cache series along the same trail, I typically already at the evening of my hike cannot recall what has happened where and what I saw where. I could write the same cut and paste log for all caches of the series, but I hate such logs.

Cezanne