How do I hide this cache in the woods?

2011-06-09164717_Pennsylvania_US.jpg

So here's the story...

On June 4th, I posted that I wanted to hide a cache at "kids castle" playground, a 5 story high castle playground, it was going to be an evil hide, you wouldn't know where in the castle/what floor it was on.

On June 5th, an event as published at the castle, I thought, "Great I can hide it while up at the event". I posted a will attend log saying I was coming and would be hiding a nano... The issue? Apparently local cachers don't like caches on playgrounds, and said that they will "promptly ignore" them.

So... I now have a nano cache, and nothing to do with it. I don't like hiding caches in parking lots, as I feel the ratio of caches in the woods to caches in parking lots is way to low (Go ahead, hide more parking lot caches, I love P & G's but for the love of god, don't make a huge circle of parking lot caches around a park, then forget to put at least one in the park!)

How can I legitimately hide this in the woods? Honestly, I like hiding ammo cans/bigger caches in the woods unless the container is creative. So I need a way to

A. Hide a really devilish nano in a urban area (I don't want to hide a P & G)

B. Make the cache creative, so I can hide it in the woods.

or

D. Make a creative urban cache, that can double as a P & G.

Any suggestions? If not, then I guess i'll have to hide a lame cache! :sad: :sad:

One use of a nano I saw recently was a fake survey marker that had the nano inserted into a hole in the stake, near ground level, with just enough of the cap exposed to allow you to unscrew it. At first glance the stake looked legitimate, until a closer look....

I like that idea. I look for benchmarks sometimes. Recently I was driving by a trio of survey markers. One had a benchmark near it and the other two just had the stakes at the base of the markers. We also have a nano (as part of a multi) in a large park with lots of caches. The nano was tucked away in a historic rusty anchor. It took quite a while to find the nano. Once I found it (I didn't know it was going to be a nano) I was perturbed at first thinking of all the places in the area I looked that it could have been then I just laughed because wasn't that the point of the cache. Sometimes a nano is a good thing especially if it is an evil one!

How can I legitimately hide this in the woods?

You don't.

Micros in the woods are bad enough, there are just way too many spots, and in a forest where you can't get amazing GPS reception it just gets worse. A nano would drive me up a freaking wall.

Okay, I just came up with an idea. There's a park nearby, that has a beautiful little ramp/overlook thing, it requires about a .4 to a half mile walk through an amazing nature walk, and it overlooks a pond. I could attach a nano to the metal on the overlook...

Good use of a nano?

Park.jpg

Should I do it?

Keep in mind, the satelliete took the picture during the night, during the day the view is spectacular. Also, it is above the water, so I hope somebody doesn't drop the nano in... :P

EDIT: Keep in mind, my mom actually lost a &30 pair of sunglasses at this spot a couple years ago. So...

Edited by Coldgears

With all that woods I'd go with a regular unless you can find a single interesting metal object in the woods. In your area there are sometimes old farm implements or cars that have been left in the woods for a generation or so. You might temper the abuse you'll get for putting a nano in the woods if you select a somewhat unique hiding spot, but if you make it a needle in the haystack search it will likely be ignored by most. I had a nano in the woods for awhile that most people avoided until word got out that it was sticking to a vertical RR rail that had been used as a property corner marker many years ago. It finally dropped into the leaves and I had to make changes.

And not entirely on topic.. No the photo wasn't taken at night. If you are interested in learning about aerial photos email me.

PS. just checked and if you avoid the .1 Mi radius around "Silver Lining" it looks like there is still lots of room for a regular cache that could be interesting.

Edited by edscott
I could attach a nano to the metal on the overlook...

Or, you could slap some rare earth magnets to an ammo can and slap that to the underside of the overlook.

Just saying'...

Remember the age old axiom: "Just because you can do a thing, (like hiding a nano in the woods), doesn't mean you should do a thing. :ph34r:

Edited by Clan Riffster

If you want to do the overhang, I say do the overhang. It looks like a fine spot from the picture, and people can leave their crappy toys or TBs in the next cache. Shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings. What's the worst thing that happens? They DNF it and get taken to a beautiful location?

If you are really worried about it, you could make that one stage of a multi and put an ammo can in the woods after it. Put some coords in the multi, hide it at the overlook and and voila!

OR, you could get crazy and drill a small hole in a log, glue some bark on top of the nano and make a REALLY hard cache for the masochists out there.

OR you could leave it as an FTF prize and be done with it.

Or make it a weird TB.

I say that nano in the woods is a waste of real estate. A forest like that can easily support a .50 cal can.

+1

If a cache hider is honest enough to indicate that they've hidden a nano (or even a micro) in the woods, that cache is a prime candidate for my Ignore List. There have been exceptions, mostly for locations with spectacular views, but in general I find that hunting tiny caches in the woods, when there are plenty of places to hide a decent-sized cache, is just an exercise in frustration.

--Larry

Places where I've found those:

1) On the back of a bench in an urban multi-use development. It was really the only kind of cache that could possibly have been hidden in that area, and it was a really cool area.

2) On the back of a metal sign, in an azalea garden. There's no way permission would have been given for anything larger in that area, and the cache page made it pretty obvious what you were looking for and in what kind of location it would be. That's a good thing, as it kept people from damaging the flowerbeds in their search.

3) In a parking garage. Ugh. Bad CO. Bad.

4) Tucked inside a ventilation grating on the outside of a historic building.

These are good when they bring you to an interesting place where a larger cache couldn't possibly be hidden. Your scenic overlook can support a larger cache. I'd save the micro for an interesting spot in town.

Just hang on to it for now, you'll know the right spot when you find it. And you'll probably find it when you aren't looking for it!

I say that nano in the woods is a waste of real estate. A forest like that can easily support a .50 cal can.

+1

If a cache hider is honest enough to indicate that they've hidden a nano (or even a micro) in the woods, that cache is a prime candidate for my Ignore List. There have been exceptions, mostly for locations with spectacular views, but in general I find that hunting tiny caches in the woods, when there are plenty of places to hide a decent-sized cache, is just an exercise in frustration.

--Larry

+2 !

These are good when they bring you to an interesting place where a larger cache couldn't possibly be hidden. Your scenic overlook can support a larger cache. I'd save the micro for an interesting spot in town.

Just hang on to it for now, you'll know the right spot when you find it. And you'll probably find it when you aren't looking for it!

This is very good advice. A nano is easy to carry around in your geocaching pack while the perfect place for a micro/nano where a larger cache won't fit, reveals itself. :)

Put the nano into a short branch/ small log which blends with the woodland, place in a pile of sticks which will be easy to find. This protects the surroundings as the pile of sticks is easy enough to find, but how exactly you hide the nano inside the branch/log is the key. :)

This is very good advice. A nano is easy to carry around in your geocaching pack while the perfect place for a micro/nano where a larger cache won't fit, reveals itself. :)

I carried one around that I grabbed as a FTF prize and looked for a perfect spot for it. After a couple of months or so I lost it.

I'm going ahead and hiding the nano. I looked at all of your suggestions and none of them would work here.

For one, due to the water/mud (The area around the overlook is a water area) there are signs that specifically tell you NOT to go off the path. I somehow doubt they would give me permission to hide it there... So that's a no-go. That removes much of the immediate area surrounding, the overlook for a bigger cache. Along with the fact that there is a cache 650 feet from the overlook, finding a good spot to hide a larger cache would be nigh impossible. You can't hide a larger cache underneath the overlook without having people go for a swim... And I don't want to do that. Also, many people just want to get to the cache and go, so even if I hid a cache lets say, errm, 100 feet from the overlook (I couldn't if I wanted too) people would find the cache and ignore the overlook, especially because of all the people that don't read the description... (I couldn't tell you how many people ignored a 1000 feet walk through a beautiful park, just so they could go in the "short way" which requires 300 feet through bushwhacking off the path, and over a dirt pile...) I don't like multi-caches, and historically my worst caches are multi-caches.

You can't stop what is already set it motion :D :D :D :D

No arguing can change my mind... :P

Kind of figured that when I read this:

Any suggestions?

At the time I posted that I had no idea what I wanted to do with the cache. It took me about two hours of nearly non-stop google maps "stalking" to find that place. Now that I found what I wanted to do with it, I don't want any other suggestions...

Any suggestions?

At the time I posted that I had no idea what I wanted to do with the cache. It took me about two hours of nearly non-stop google maps "stalking" to find that place. Now that I found what I wanted to do with it, I don't want any other suggestions...

If you say so. I believe otherwise and "no arguing can change my mind... :P"

Any suggestions?

You're new to geocaching... And these forums. Perhaps you should spend more time here, your opinions of me are quite negative, probably because you haven't been here as long. get 1,000 posts then we can talk...

Any suggestions?

You're new to geocaching... And these forums. Perhaps you should spend more time here, your opinions of me are quite negative, probably because you haven't been here as long. get 1,000 posts then we can talk...

I don't have a negative opinion of you. On the contrary, I find your threads pretty entertaining. I like to see if people figure out they've been had on their own or if it takes you revealing the rouse for them to get it. It's a fun game.

I'm going ahead and hiding the nano. I looked at all of your suggestions and none of them would work here.

For one, due to the water/mud (The area around the overlook is a water area) there are signs that specifically tell you NOT to go off the path. I somehow doubt they would give me permission to hide it there... So that's a no-go. That removes much of the immediate area surrounding, the overlook for a bigger cache. Along with the fact that there is a cache 650 feet from the overlook, finding a good spot to hide a larger cache would be nigh impossible. You can't hide a larger cache underneath the overlook without having people go for a swim... And I don't want to do that. Also, many people just want to get to the cache and go, so even if I hid a cache lets say, errm, 100 feet from the overlook (I couldn't if I wanted too) people would find the cache and ignore the overlook, especially because of all the people that don't read the description... (I couldn't tell you how many people ignored a 1000 feet walk through a beautiful park, just so they could go in the "short way" which requires 300 feet through bushwhacking off the path, and over a dirt pile...) I don't like multi-caches, and historically my worst caches are multi-caches.

You can't stop what is already set it motion :D :D :D :D

Well, I guess if you are dead-set to hide your nano at your chosen location, then we only have to look at the logs of the finders to know if you had the right idea.

I would suggest that if it proves to be popular, you'd better have a few extra log scrolls ready to go.

I would have suggested a two-stage multi...but I guess it's too late for that, EH?

EDITED for speeling.

Edited by AZcachemeister

We found one in the end of a branch on the ground, and a film canister in a larger branch on the ground.

Lot of trampling. Maybe put it in a snake's (fake of course) mouth, or up a fake frog's bottom? I know someone who did the latter ! ;) It was placed at the beginning of a trail, access to the "wee beast" is on gravel.

I wouldn't recommend it. Like the others before me, all NANOs I've found in the woods have had extreme damage to the enviroment around it.

Think about being creative, maybe a plastic lizard or a frog, with the nano in it, glued to a log. The Plain As The Nose on Your Face Theory. Granted the difficulty will not be as high, but you will get great comments on the camo!

MizDirection

Whidbey Island GeoCaching Society

hook a magnet o the nano then cut inch long pieces of small pipe, like the stuff used in fish tanks. Glue them all together in the shape of a wasp nest, paint the nest gray or as close to a real one as possible and it'll make a nice little cache and not a crazy small nano