muggles and buddies

tomdude

So I've known about geocaching for a while but never actually gotten into it until I got my DROID X (and was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was for a smart phone).

My biggest problem, other than not really knowing what I'm looking for, is I'm too timid to look in one spot long enough when a muggle strolls by. What are some good ways to explain why you're digging around in some bushes or feeling around behind a guardrail?

All in all I'm having a lot of fun! I needed something that gets me out more and makes me explore the area I live in, let alone areas that I travel to.

One more question though: What's the best way to find more people in my area that can really show me how it's done?

Thanks,

~tom

My suggestion would be to avoid urban caches and generally caches in high traffic areas as a beginner. Those tend to be very small and can be tricky hides. If you go for caches in remote areas first, you won't have any muggle problems and search all you want. Over time, you'll get a better eye for cache hides and those tricky urban micros could become quite easy.

As for your second question: look on the site for local events and go to one :)

My suggestion would be to avoid urban caches and generally caches in high traffic areas as a beginner. Those tend to be very small and can be tricky hides. If you go for caches in remote areas first, you won't have any muggle problems and search all you want. Over time, you'll get a better eye for cache hides and those tricky urban micros could become quite easy.

As for your second question: look on the site for local events and go to one :)

+1

Work your way down from the top on size, and the bottom on difficulty. You'll get the hang of it! Also, find a friend in the caching community. You'd be amazed how much a caching mentor will help your game mature and make it enjoyable!

The only problem with that is I'm much better at finding the urban ones when there's no one around. I haven't found one when it's just sticks n leaves n rocks when I have plenty of privacy to find it.

Use that Droid of yours to "take pictures." It's for a project you're undertaking...;) and you won't be fibbing. Geocaching is a project, after all!

That's a great idea, I'll have to remember that. Thanks!

So I've known about geocaching for a while but never actually gotten into it until I got my DROID X (and was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was for a smart phone).

My biggest problem, other than not really knowing what I'm looking for, is I'm too timid to look in one spot long enough when a muggle strolls by. What are some good ways to explain why you're digging around in some bushes or feeling around behind a guardrail?

All in all I'm having a lot of fun! I needed something that gets me out more and makes me explore the area I live in, let alone areas that I travel to.

One more question though: What's the best way to find more people in my area that can really show me how it's done?

Thanks,

~tom

Hey Tom;

First, welcome to the caching community. Not sure where you are in the world, but I notice you just grabbed one of my caches (Park~N~Hide, Rohnert Park/Cotati, CA) and have gotten a few in the Santa Rosa area recently. If you're living in the Santa Rosa area, you'll have a number of event throughout the year where you can meet local cachers. There are some pretty creative and helpful cachers around here and a great cross-section of clever cache types to hone your geosenses on.

As to the muggle problem: the phone idea is a good one, and you can even use a GPSr as though it's a phone; people don't know it's not. You'd be surprised just how many people are totally unconcerned about what you're doing when caching. It's actually a cause of concern for me that they are not more aware of their surroundings and what odd behavior people are displaying, but that's a subject for another conversation. <_<

Another idea is to get a cheap construction vest (the mesh kind are really affordable) and wear it when you cache. Even in urban areas, drawing attention to yourself has an opposite effect and makes you look like you belong doing what you're doing. B)

I'm in Santa Rosa and would be more than happy to go cache with you some time and offer some pointers, show you some of the more creative hides, etc. Heading to a Giants game today but am around weekends if you want to take a short caching run. When I'm not working I often head out caching with findingbill and cache with Team G Scouts also. You could always join us.

Feel free to ask questions any time, general caching questions or questions regarding any of my caches. I'm always glad to help if I can.

Kai

[Tractordude]

Tractordude-logo.gif

Generally, I avoid such caches.

However, act bold not stealthy. Stealth attracts its own attention. Instead act bold and act as if it is your job to find that cache. A job your are proud to do. Just step up and find it. Sign the logsheet and then put it back. Be confident. Carry a clipboard. Look official.

Such people tend to just be part of the background.

I am in the Santa Rosa area. Just found a couple more on my way to work this morning :).

My daughter is just about to turn a year old and we just got a backpack to hike her around in. I'm looking forward to trying it out (though I'm not in very good shape) but I look foward to caching with you tractordude. BTW, do you know Zop?

My question is WHY are people concerned what muggles think? If it is police or security, I will tell them. I would probably tell anybody who asked? Are you ashamed to be doing what you're doing? Or is it that you worry people will steal the caches?

I have now seen 2 caches, and neither one would make me want to mess with it if I wasn't geocaching.

I know... I must be naive. But I think like 95% of the people who don't geocache couldn't care less. But then again, I am in the suburbs. :)

My question is WHY are people concerned what muggles think? If it is police or security, I will tell them. I would probably tell anybody who asked? Are you ashamed to be doing what you're doing? Or is it that you worry people will steal the caches?

I have now seen 2 caches, and neither one would make me want to mess with it if I wasn't geocaching.

I know... I must be naive. But I think like 95% of the people who don't geocache couldn't care less. But then again, I am in the suburbs. :)

I'm new, so I would just be nervous that someone would find the cache and take it or something. My first two finds ever today were in remote areas, so I didn't have a problem with muggles. :P One of my finds was by a 4lane road, but I'm sure nobody was paying attention to someone in a graveyard on the hill. :P

I think it would be neat if the two "dudes" can hook up for a caching session. Events are fun, and many are family oriented so Mommy and the kids can attend too! Definitely worth attending....

Yeah my wife really likes the idea of me getting out more and exploring the area.I was more of a cave nerd until I discovered this. She's amazed at how these things are all over the place she grew up and she never knew about them. I'm trying to convince her to create a profile too but she doesn't think she'd ever look for them on her own.

I'm really new to Geocaching as well. I too am not very comfortable when tackling urban caches, mainly because i am concered that i will be spotted removing/replacing the cache, and then a non geocacher will investigate and remove/alter the cache, which is exactly the sort of attention we don't need.

Surely geocaching is basically based on a level of secrecy to make the whole idea of it work. I agree that the more secretive you try to appear the more obvious you really are, being bold usually works, but if you are seen removing/replacing, the naturally inquisitive person will start nosing around and then attract even more interest.

Also remember that a number of "undesirable transactions" are and can be made in the same way/method as innocent geocaching.

I swear the more people there are in an area the less chance anyone will be paying attention to the person walking around in circles muttering at the thing in their hand. Also, unless it's a cop asking me what I'm doing my standard answers will either be 1. I'm on a scavenger hunt or 2. my daughter lost something in the general area.

Early this morning I was going for a cache on a bike path. Someone was walking by and I decided to not stop looking for it. And guess what happened ... nothing. We said 'morning to eachother and that was it.

I guess most muggles just don't care what you're doing as long as it doesn't draw too much attention to yourself, or it doesn't offend them. <_<