Unknown Caches/Puzzle Caches

blazerfan

I took a trip to Salem, OR with just a group of waypoints in my GPS and nothing else. I went to this cache. Needless to say the waypoint was useless and I spent an hour wondering outside a hospital. I thought I had only gotten regular caches so was not too happy to learn that this was a puzzle. So my question is should this be listed as an unknown cache? Or maybe there should be a seperate cache type "puzzle cache" since most puzzles I see listed are regular caches. It would save some of us "tourists" a lot of time. I'm probably not the first to suggest this but I think it should be considered.

---------------------------

Phase 1: Collect Underpants, Phase 2: ???, Phase 3: Profit

Since there are at least two sets of coordinates, one could say that it was a multi. That would seem to be more of a stretch than calling it "unknown", but calling a simple traditional seems to be a bit less than completely true.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

The thing is that I think there should be a category for caches that aren't at the listed cooridinates. That way I won't feel like a dummie while seaching at the "dummie" coordinates icon_smile.gif

I have since purchased a PDA so that I can have hundreds of cache descriptions with me and not get fired for printing them at work.

I enjoy caches that I have to solve puzzles and such to find, but there needs to be a way to filter these out when you just want to find regular caches.

quote:
Originally posted by blazerfan:

I enjoy caches that I have to solve puzzles and such to find, but there needs to be a way to filter these out when you just want to find regular caches.

Cache attributes are one future feature that you will likely appreciate when they finally get here (don't start waiting just yet; they're not quite at the top of the list). Once CAs are implemented, I'll add them to Watcher's filters. *Then*, if you don't want to go for puzzle caches, you *will* be able to filter them out (assuming they have the attribute). Alternately, if you're *dying* to do a puzzle cache, you could just as easily filter to find caches with that CA.

As it stands right now, though, there's really no simple way to filter out/in puzzle caches. (Alas, Jeremy, may your coding progress with the speed and cleanliness... We are *so* anticipating the first coming of CAs.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

I think that the best filter is to read the cache description. Most of the Puzzle caches that I've seen say in big red font "the cache is not located at the above coordinates". Otherwise, a few more seconds of reading usally reveal that you are dealing with a puzzle cache.

-Wily Javelina

quote:
Originally posted by Wily Javelina:

I think that the best filter is to read the cache description. Most of the Puzzle caches that I've seen say in big red font "the cache is not located at the above coordinates". Otherwise, a few more seconds of reading usally reveal that you are dealing with a puzzle cache.

-Wily Javelina

My whole point was to be able to take these out without reading through the descriptions.

Lets say I decide to go to Portland this weekend... so I make a pocket query of 300 caches... it would be pretty time consuming to look thru 300 descriptions and make sure I am not running into puzzle caches. It would be much easier if I could wead them out. I can remove muti-caches, and virtuals both of which might require reading the description. So all I am asking for is either for people to use the "unknown" type for puzzles or a new cache type.

Now that I have a PDA this is less of a problem... but I enjoy the idea of putting in coordinates and going. I know that some people put a lot of time into their descriptions, but I will gladly read them when I log the cache icon_biggrin.gif

It's annoying but it's also 100% your fault for not preparing.

When you shotgun waypoints and don't back it up with printouts or the PDA equivilent you are going to have this problem.

The cache in question isn't broken, it may not be a mystery cache. It's a puzzle cache and we don't have a puzzle catagory unless that's now the ? type.

Every now and then I get busted by one of these caches and...I can't blame the owner for my not reading the page first.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

It's annoying but it's also 100% your fault for not preparing.

When you shotgun waypoints and don't back it up with printouts or the PDA equivilent you are going to have this problem.

The cache in question isn't broken, it may not be a mystery cache. It's a puzzle cache and we don't have a puzzle catagory unless that's now the ? type.

Every now and then I get busted by one of these caches and...I can't blame the owner for my not reading the page first.

I'll agree that it is my fault... but not totally more like 95%. Personally if I make a puzzle cache, and I probably will someday I will list it as "?" unknown because in my opinion it doesn't belong in any other catagory.

The cache that I used as an example is just that, an example. I ran into this problem 3 times before I bought my PDA and this happened to be the last. I don't blame the cache owner at all. In fact I solved this puzzle and plan to return to find it. I only wished to express my opinion, and felt this was the proper place.

Hopefully as features get added this issue will be solved and trees will be saved from use as printouts and people can save their money on PDAs icon_biggrin.gif