Geocaching.com site update June 9th

I don't get it. When I used to open a link to "My Friends" and then open their profile, I could click on the link to the caches they found and they all showed up IN THE ORDER THAT FRIEND FOUND THEM. So, I could view what caches they did yesterday, the day before, etc. Now they still come up in the order of WHEN THE CACHE WAS LAST FOUND BY ANYBODY. I don't care when it was last found. If i'm looking up my friend, i want to see their finds in order. And that's what it USED to do before the May update.

And please don't make any comments about why somebody would want to do that. Everybody caches in their own way and there is no right or wrong to any of it. I just preferred the way it used to work and don't understand the change.

That's precisely how it's working now (and the way it used to for many years) after yesterday's release.

Yes, thank you! I see that now that is working the "old" way! When i looked early this a.m. it was still scrambled. Anyway, thanks for all your hard work and for the reply!

I briefly scanned the forum but didn't see anyone else complaining about the problems with PQs after the recent 'upgrade'...so thought I'd post my issue. Since that upgrade my PQs show the desired caches with the lightening bolts.....and every single other cache, already found or not! It's ugly, busy, distracting, and unwanted. So if I have a new cache query that should list 10 caches....I see 10 lightening bolts....and thousands of other caches.

Is anyone else seeing this? Do I have to recreate all my PQs to 'fix' this? Or is there a master setting some place? New features are great and all but there sure seems to be a lot of churn getting them.

There is a Bug with the Beta-Maps. In the Listig there is a smal Map with all Waypoints of the Cache. It seems, that the Beta-Maps cannot view Waypoints. Since the last Update all links to Maps are ending at the Beta-Map. Now there is no Way to view Waypoints of a Cache or view only the Caches of a Pocket-Query, exceptional this little Map in the Listig. That sucks!

Edited by AlexanderD

I briefly scanned the forum but didn't see anyone else complaining about the problems with PQs after the recent 'upgrade'...so thought I'd post my issue. Since that upgrade my PQs show the desired caches with the lightening bolts.....and every single other cache, already found or not! It's ugly, busy, distracting, and unwanted. So if I have a new cache query that should list 10 caches....I see 10 lightening bolts....and thousands of other caches.

Is anyone else seeing this? Do I have to recreate all my PQs to 'fix' this? Or is there a master setting some place? New features are great and all but there sure seems to be a lot of churn getting them.

There is an open feedback item on that located here. Feel free to add your votes to that as well as the rest of us who would like to just see the caches in the PQ on the preview map.

Since that upgrade my PQs show the desired caches with the lightening bolts.....and every single other cache, already found or not! It's ugly, busy, distracting, and unwanted. So if I have a new cache query that should list 10 caches....I see 10 lightening bolts....and thousands of other caches.

It's tedious, but you can click on all the other cache types in the legend and turn them off.

I agree there should be a single switch to turn everything off.

Since that upgrade my PQs show the desired caches with the lightening bolts.....and every single other cache, already found or not! It's ugly, busy, distracting, and unwanted. So if I have a new cache query that should list 10 caches....I see 10 lightening bolts....and thousands of other caches.

It's tedious, but you can click on all the other cache types in the legend and turn them off.

But if I turn off a cache type that is in my PQ, then I can't see which cache it is.

But if I turn off a cache type that is in my PQ, then I can't see which cache it is.

Everything can get turned off except the 'lightening bolts' on your PQ caches. I only figured that out after the poster above mentioned turning off caches. I think the default state of the PQ map should be only the PQ caches with an explanation that surrounding ones can be turned on. I can understand the reason for that but if an explanation were readily available on the page, it would save a lot of the upset this has caused. Maybe after an upgrade, there could be a popup when you sign on with the changes (instead of having to come to the forums) with a checkbox to not show again after you have read it. Also, when there is a major change in functionality, this should be explained how to get to what you had before or if that is still available.

Why can't we have a numbered list of PQ caches?

Why does the map always have to show every cache of every type when you only want the PQ caches to show?

Do the people at geocaching.com who are "improving" the maps ever really use the maps?

(I doubt it or they wouldn't be "improved" so much as to render them nearly useless).

The new map is several steps backward.

PLEASE have an option to use the old map, just as it was...

Looks like another case of engineers that keep "improving" stuff until it's no longer usable.

Geocaching.com desperately needs a User Interface expert to keep things usable.

There's nothing wrong with keeping things SIMPLE. Complexity does NOT add value.

This latest map "improvement" is Not.

Why should I have to create a PQ and do about a dozen clicks just to see a list of the caches on the map ??

And then do it again every time I change the map area ??

And there are still no numbers!!

Why make it so complicated and user UN-friendly??

All we want is a numbered list that references the caches shown and updates automatically as the map is moved, the same way the old map does.

Come on Guys, is that really so hard to do ????????

Really, SIMPLE....IS....BETTER !!

This is totally useless. If I am viewing a PQ, I should see nothing but the PQ. At least add a filter.

e9b11cc3-873c-476e-b47e-1b49fbf92165.jpg

I'm incredibly confused by the PQ map view...

I made a PQ searching for caches in Florida.

I displayed the PQ on the map - of course there are too many caches in Florida, so the contents of my PQ is scattered all over the state, nowhere close to containing all caches.

I changed my PQ, searching within a 10 miles radius from my coordinates. Great, the PQ contains 270 caches.

I displayed the PQ on the map. But I am still getting caches scattered all over the state, and definitely not the 270 caches closest to the coordinates I entered.

Is the map view stuck on the caches contained in my first PQ?

Thanks, lodgebarn. I have confirmed the same thing with a PQ from a bookmark list, where I know for sure which caches should be displayed.

Edit: I have entered this error in the feedback system:

PQ map view doesn't update when PQ content is updated (http://uservoice.com/a/c8oRY)

Aparently the list of PQs on the left are toggles - click once to show on map - click again and they will disappear.

Have you tried this ?

Looks like another case of engineers that keep "improving" stuff until it's no longer usable.

Geocaching.com desperately needs a User Interface expert to keep things usable.

There's nothing wrong with keeping things SIMPLE. Complexity does NOT add value.

The new maps make me really angry - they are so useless.

Why can't maps be as they were before? I want to run a PQ and see only the caches I want to see, then be able to click on selected caches and go to those cache pages for the details.

The 'upgrade' is an absolute failure. I'm wanting to cache tomorrow and go only for caches of certain levels. I've spent two hours and still not got what I want. With the previous maps I could have done it in about 5 minutes.

• The "Last Found" column when viewing a user's found caches will now correctly display the date that user found the cache

User page - sort by 'last found' field produces an incorrect sort again. Appears to be the same bug as previously, which was cleared by a hotfix.

Yep it's gone back to sorting by when I last found the cache not when anybody last found the cache :mad:

which is how its always been and what we wanted back

Correct. I think people are getting confused because the column heading still reads "Last Found" in this situation. I'm entering a story into our database to change the column heading in this situation so that this is more apparent to people.

Are you saying we will not be getting the ability to sort by the last found back?

I like to check the caches I have found and see who else has found them, and how they liked them.

It is getting harder as I have more pages of finds to go through and see who found a cache I had found.

I know when I found them, being able to sort them by the order that someone else has found them was the best new feature to come along in a looooong time.

Reading the forums it sounds like there are a lot of us that liked this option. Please give it back to us.

No, I like it the way it is now.

The way it was before the latest update should have made both you and I happy. You could leave it the way it was, and it would be the way it is now. I could click on the last found and sort by the last person to find it.

Not sure why you would like it the way it is now, the way they had it working was no skin of your teeth, and a feature a lot of people liked. :huh:

... The way it was before the latest update should have made both you and I happy. You could leave it the way it was, and it would be the way it is now. I could click on the last found and sort by the last person to find it.

Not sure why you would like it the way it is now, the way they had it working was no skin of your teeth, and a feature a lot of people liked. :huh:

Agreed. Don't forget, it's a toggle action - the default is the way it is now, so jholly and others would see no difference, toggle once and it sorts to when OTHERS last found (today, yesterday etc), toggle twice and it presents your finds in reverse order, and toggle again brings you back to the default setting.

What I can't understand is why this particular sort [by Username (Found) - User] is disabled in this way, yet if you do a search by country, post code etc., the chronlogical sort works fine - and I don't see anybody complaining about that function.

Please could some consideration be given to reinstating the same facility when using the 'By Username (Found) - User:' search, or perhaps an explanation of why it's disabled. Thanks.

The way it was before the latest update should have made both you and I happy. You could leave it the way it was, and it would be the way it is now. I could click on the last found and sort by the last person to find it.

No, because if I look at the list of somebody's finds, I want to see when this person found the cache, not when anybody found it. Sorting on that column thus should work on that value also, not on something else.

No, because if I look at the list of somebody's finds, I want to see when this person found the cache, not when anybody found it. Sorting on that column thus should work on that value also, not on something else.

I can see that point, but does (did) having the option to sort my own finds by when someone else found them, 'break' the way the default option worked when searching for finds by a.n.other user? If so, I can understand why people want things left as they are now, but otherwise why not let users have the option of sorting their own finds by when others found them if they so wish?

I can see that point, but does (did) having the option to sort my own finds by when someone else found them, 'break' the way the default option worked when searching for finds by a.n.other user? If so, I can understand why people want things left as they are now, but otherwise why not let users have the option of sorting their own finds by when others found them if they so wish?

It makes perfect sense to show and use the date when anyone found the cache when you look at the list if your own finds. But for anyone else's finds, it should not replace the date when that user found it. So either have the website handle that case specially (which I wouldn't mind at all, because right now, you see your own find date twice, which is kinda stupid), or leave it as it is now.

This makes sense. If I am looking a list that is based on a user's finds, it should be sortable by their chronology. If I am looking at a list based on a location, it should be sortable by when the cache was last found by anyone. I just checked, and it seems to work this way.