Geocaching.com site update June 9th

Geocaching.com Maps Beta Upgrades

Read last update's Release Notes

Premium Members may now create Pocket Queries from the current map view, based on the current map location and filter options such as hiding your finds and specific cache types. In addition, when viewing a Pocket Query you will find a new list on the right displaying the cache names of all the caches in the PQ. Clicking a name will center the map on that cache.

NgMr2.png

What Else is New?

• A Trackable owner may now set collectible preference during Trackable activation

• Added the number of logs in the last 30 days to the home page

• Added "Tell a Friend" link to the Resources site navigation dropdown

Bug Fixes

• Restored user cellpadding and cellspacing on cache details user supplied content

• Profile pages updated to preserve layout of GSAK statistics

• Fixed server error when clicking the "Send updates to Twitter" link

• Removed cache size option when reporting a new event cache

• Fixed sort order bug with saved routes in Caches Along a Route feature

• Fixed bug causing a recently uploaded route to not immediately appear in the list of saved routes

• Fixed a route encoding issue which caused some routes to be displayed improperly on Google Maps

• Including an ampersand in a Trackable description URL or name is no longer converted to "&"

• Removed redundant "change" link on profile page under Your GPS section

• Fixed bug where Maps Beta would sometimes be out of sync with the filter options in the UI

• Attempting to designate a Trackable log photo as that Trackable's default photo no longer causes an error

• Fixed bug where Trackable action would be duplicated when editing a cache log that previously performed an action

• Made statistics Milestones editing a permanent feature, not just something displayed when Milestones are public

• Fixed bug where Milestones overrides were deleted when toggled public/private

• Original maps now properly continue hiding finds when panned

• Removed "add to collection" menu item for Trackables owned by you but not currently in your inventory

• Fixed Firefox 4 bug which caused the right border of a log type dropdown menu to not display

• The "Last Found" column when viewing a user's found caches will now correctly display the date that user found the cache

• Fixed forum issue which caused some Premium Members to be removed from the Premium Member "group"

• Fixed bug with Trackable item "Move to Last Location" tool when last log was a visit

• Fixed bug which prevented purchasing a Gift Membership for a user with extended characters in their username

• Entering multiple question marks in a Personal Cache Note no longer causes a javascript error

• Fixed sort order bug when viewing caches found by a user; most recently found cache is displayed at the top

• When logged in, the home page search field containing your home coordinates will now be auto-selected when clicked

• Fixed Maps Beta bug where viewing a location at close zoom in satellite view would cause cache icons to disappear

• Swapped out static map on cache pages with MapQuest map

Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice. Happy Geocaching!

Premium Members may now create Pocket Queries from the current map view, based on the current map location and filter options such as hiding your finds and specific cache types. In addition, when viewing a Pocket Query you will find a new list on the right displaying the cache names of all the caches in the PQ. Clicking a name will center the map on that cache.

PoohGroupHug.jpg

I LOVE YOU GUYS!

• The "Last Found" column when viewing a user's found caches will now correctly display the date that user found the cache

User page - sort by 'last found' field produces an incorrect sort again. Appears to be the same bug as previously, which was cleared by a hotfix.

Edited by geobrian-

User page - sort by 'last found' field produces an incorrect sort again. Appears to be the same bug as previously, which was cleared by a hotfix.

Yep it's gone back to sorting by when I last found the cache not when anybody last found the cache :mad:

WOW! Really? I just suggested it shortly after the last updated here and now I see it's available.

Also I'm glad I won't have to edit all my listings now that you have restored some CSS. For a few weeks they looked bad and I was not happy with that but now it's over.

Thanks for all the hard work.

i have an existing cache gc1ndhy, and an a href statement then an img src statement.

the system keeps putting the </a> directly after the a href and not allowing me to put it in its correct spot after the img src.

Update:

i deleted all the code and saved it as blank and redid it and it now works.

Go figure :)

Edited by Spatial Distortion

Thanks for the great set of updates!

• Attempting to designate a Trackable log photo as that Trackable's default photo no longer causes an error

That's right, thanks. But instead, I get the 500 error when I try to delete the duplicate images that I had to add in order to change the trackable's default photo to a log photo. Happens both to TB4AF1J and TB4AEZ1.

WOW! Really? I just suggested it shortly after the last updated here and now I see it's available.

I have been suggesting that for years! Once, Raine (I believe it was him) told me that he agreed, and really wanted to do it. Finally... we're there!

One bug that I was hoping would be fixed with this release, but has not been, is the continual zooming in of the map when you click on a cache to get the info box. I just now reported it to the User Voice site. Guess I should have done it sooner, but I assumed it had already been reported, as it is so noticable and annoying.

The small static map in the top right is mapquest now? :unsure:

:sad: Yeah please change this back. This map is much worse than the Google Map.

Dont know if its me but the MapQuest pic keeps timing out. That and the copyright is annoying :anitongue:

The cache list is not showing up on the beta maps as of right now but the PQ works nice! :grin:

Can we have an option to turn OFF the Premium only member cache listings? I cache with 3 members who are not premium members, it would be nice to be able to turn it off, for planning purposes. Thanks.

Shouldn't matter. If you find the cache with them they can log the find via geocachingadmin without a problem. GS will back them on logging the cache.

It's good to see the vspace and hspace tags working on images again, but there is still the issue with a <P> tag having no affect when inserted between the first and second paragrpahs in the long description (looks like a <BR> tag is used vice the <P>.

Any owrd when that will be fixed?

Can we have the list on the beta maps sorted alphabetically? and a scroll bar on the list? Thanks.

It's sorted by distance from the PQ origin AFAICT. And the scroll bar appeared for me after a browser restart (probably a cached CSS file).

Yes, almost useless

Dont know if its me but the MapQuest pic keeps timing out. That and the copyright is annoying :anitongue:

The cache list is not showing up on the beta maps as of right now ..............

I can get the cache list panel, but it is empty !! :( :(

Beta maps are looking better all the time. Even the old ones got fixed ! Thanks.

Yep it's gone back to sorting by when I last found the cache not when anybody last found the cache :mad:

which is how its always been and what we wanted back

i don't see anything wrong with the sorting

Edited by t4e

Correct. I think people are getting confused because the column heading still reads "Last Found" in this situation. I'm entering a story into our database to change the column heading in this situation so that this is more apparent to people.

Can we have an option to turn OFF the Premium only member cache listings? I cache with 3 members who are not premium members, it would be nice to be able to turn it off, for planning purposes. Thanks.

Shouldn't matter. If you find the cache with them they can log the find via geocachingadmin without a problem. GS will back them on logging the cache.

I often run into the same problem - what is/where do I find "geocachingadmin" and what is the procedure??

Can we have the list on the beta maps sorted alphabetically? and a scroll bar on the list? Thanks.

It's sorted by distance from the PQ origin AFAICT. And the scroll bar appeared for me after a browser restart (probably a cached CSS file).

Ah, okay. Have to think about that one for a bit, but seems alphabetic might be a tad more intuitive.

I often run into the same problem - what is/where do I find "geocachingadmin" and what is the procedure??

http://www.geocachingadmin.com/

Ah, okay. Have to think about that one for a bit, but seems alphabetic might be a tad more intuitive.

Not only more intuitive, but more useful, it seems to me. If I want to find a cache in a list of 1000, I don't want to have to look from top to bottom to find it. I will be looking for it in its alphabetic position.

So printing pages with maps using Safari and firefox isn't a priority yet? Seems like such a waste of time to spend all this time on improving the maps then making them impossible to print with the cache page.

Edited by edscott
It's good to see the vspace and hspace tags working on images again, but there is still the issue with a <P> tag having no affect when inserted between the first and second paragrpahs in the long description (looks like a <BR> tag is used vice the <P>.

Perhaps this is related, and still unfixed:

http://www.geocachin.../geocaches.aspx doesn't space multi-paragraph logs properly due to egregious misuse of <p> tags.

If I want to find a cache in a list of 1000, I don't want to have to look from top to bottom to find it. I will be looking for it in its alphabetic position.

Ctrl-F and enter the name :anitongue:

That's how I always did it on the old maps. AFAICR those also sorted the list the same way.

OTOH, the new list on the right is updated on demand only, as you scroll down. So text search doesn't actually work if the cache is further down the list. Doh!

I don't know if this is new to this update or not, because I almost always use Firefox, but I am seeing Google ads on the cache pages when I use IE8. I do not see that with Firefox.

Are you using AdBlockPlus on FireFox?

Yes, I am, but I thought Premium members didn't get ads. Guess I'm wrong about that.

Non premium members can log premium member only caches... If you cache with 3 others that'd be $7.50 a year each to be able to find & log them.

I still don't see anything being done about the fixed-width issue. Could someone from Groundspeak please respond and let us know if something is in the works to go back to fluid-width or if not, to just tell us that we are stuck with fixed width and that it won't be changed.

Well thats a shame, I've alwasy known it to sort by the last time anyway found it (apart from a brief period after the may update and the hotfix) and have always liked it that way, as most evenings I would use that to see whos been out that day to caches I've previously visited, always find it interesting to see how people fared compard to me, guess I won't be able to that anymore :(

Correct. I think people are getting confused because the column heading still reads "Last Found" in this situation. I'm entering a story into our database to change the column heading in this situation so that this is more apparent to people.

I'd rather be able to see when the cache was last found by anyone. By default, the caches are listed in the order that I've found them. Clicking on the Last Found link now just re-sorts the first caches I've ever found to the top of the list. That's pretty pointless since I could already do that without the jump link. What purpose does the Last Found link now serve?

Well thats a shame, I've alwasy known it to sort by the last time anyway found it (apart from a brief period after the may update and the hotfix) and have always liked it that way, ...

It depends on what view you're in. If you look at the list of caches some user has found, then the "last found" column reflects the date when this user has found the cache, and sorting is applied on that also. If you look at any other (?) list of caches, say from a certain location, then "last found" is last found by anyone, and sorting works accordingly too.

Serisouly, it's always been like that. Well at least the display, I don't know about the sorting. I'm also not sure if it also worked that way if you looked at your own list of finds, but I would think it did.

Seriously, get rid of the mapquest map. That looks....awful.

Also why won't the cache list show all the caches on the map at the time like the old map did??? That's the one feature I really, really miss is just being able to sort through names. Sometimes I zoom away and it was nice just being able to click on a cache name and go back to it when I was wondering elsewehere and then needed to see where I was on the map again.

and if you click on it, the requested content cannot be loaded. Please try again later...

Edited by DanPan