SPOT Satellite Messenger

Recently bought a SPOT satellite messenger and love it! Just wondering how many people are using this device to stay in touch while out Geocaching? Any tips for me? How many people do you have on your contact list? What messages do you have preset?

Yea, my wife made me get one after we got married and she realized I wasn't going to stop hiking, climbing, mountaineering, etc. It's worked well for me over the past couple of years. She appreciates the check in messages, and I use the custom message to say something nice to her whenever I reach my destination. Whatever it takes man, whatever it takes.

I'm interested to know as well. I do night caching sometimes on my own, and it would be nice to be able to have extra security.

Is there an option for someone at home to find out where you are, in case you are rendered unconscious? That location feature would help sway my decision. Thanks.

I'm interested to know as well. I do night caching sometimes on my own, and it would be nice to be able to have extra security.

Is there an option for someone at home to find out where you are, in case you are rendered unconscious? That location feature would help sway my decision. Thanks.

Yep, but it has to be turned on, and you have to have that added to your subscription. A lot of new subscriptions come with a year of the tracking for free.

Basically, you turn your SPOT on at the start of your hike, and SPOT sends a message to the website every "X" minutes (I can't remember, tbh). That goes to a webpage that you have the url to, and you can set it to private or public, and give it out to whoever you want to see it. They can track your progress, or in this case, your lack of progress should you be rendered unconscious.

We do this on our longer, more out of the way, off the beaten trail type of outings.

It tracks every 10 minutes and will post to a FindMeSpot webpage framed Google Earth map. If you get the Delorme PN60w, you can also get the Spot Communicator and send customized messages of up to 41 characters aside from the canned messages you may have prepared. I haven't hit a limit on mine yet but I'm sending to around 20 email addresses and a couple of cell phones organized in 6 different groups from including everyone to just a test group of one before I head out the door. This doesn't include the free ability to twitter and facebook as well as log geocaches from the backcountry. Two kinds of help messages can be sent. One to the national monitoring center whom will activate an SAR for you, and the other to a chosen group where you can send off a general help message such as bring me a fan belt for my car when you're out of cell phone range.

They also have one for the Android if you don't want to buy the GPS.

Edited by TotemLake