What's the deal with deleted posts?

briansnat

A poster to this thread (which oddly enough was about deleted logs) had his posts deleted. Since several later posts quoted this person's orignial posts, it was a bit confusing. Odder still was that, according to others, the posts weren't offensive. What goes here? Why would an admin delete a post that wasn't profane, or offensive?

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

I would guess that in this case, it was a combination of things. The deleted posts that I saw contained off topic remarks that were clearly trolls such as "To BrianSnat, Maybe if you spent more time caching and less time posting and stirring up trouble you'd be an ok guy."

Since these remarks were coming from someone who admits is using a fake account created strictly to post such remarks while hiding behind the fake name, the admins probably jumped on it quicker then if it was a legit account. The fact that this same account has posted stuff prior to this that the admins have had to delete probably also caused them to react quicker and harsher then if the posts had come from a legit account. given the prior incidents, and how other trolls have been removed from the site (GeoPrincess and Boblog come to mind), I am rather surprised this troll has been allowed to stay. I can only guess that trolls that pay for charter memberships are allowed.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Hey, supposedly the posts were not complimentary to me, but I still don't think they should have been removed. I realize that Geocaching.com isn't the government, but I dislike censorship. If the posts contained profanity, or statements that widely could be considered offensive, then maybe. But I don't see this as the case here.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Hey, supposedly the posts were not complimentary to me, but I still don't think they should have been removed. I realize that Geocaching.com isn't the government, but I dislike censorship. If the posts contained profanity, or statements that widely could be considered offensive, then maybe. But I don't see this as the case here.

_A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away._ -Barry Goldwater

Brian, I think I still answered you question above. Offtopic and/or inflamatory posts are often removed here. The once a month pyramid scheme posts are not offensive, but quickly removed as well. I think ANY offtopic or personally insulting posts run the risk of deletion here, and I'm fine with that.

I've been online for.....ouch!... 24yrs, and long ago gave up on every other BBS/newsgroup/web forum I've ever been active on, except this one. That says alot for both the people who post here, and the people who run it. May it never change!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The policies of the palces you decide to frequent say a lot about who you are. Not every place is going to resonate with every person. Finding a place you are comfortable with to spend time and effort being an active memeber in is not easy, I am still searching for such a place for my geocaching activities. Sometimes you deal with the foilbles of a place until a better place is found, or failing that a place created.

Good luck in your search.

quote:

_A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away._ -Barry Goldwater

A great quote that fits nicely in this threadicon_smile.gif-

-tomwsmf

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

The reason there are trolls and puppets is that they get beat up on in here, and receive hundreds of hate emails. I know this first hand. If ya’ were a little nicer on the forums them there would be no need for us. At least I say ( I am a puppet )

So when we do post its like pay back you stop and we stop

Have you ever notice sometimes things just happen

quote:
Originally posted by Sock Puppet:

The reason there are trolls and puppets is that they get beat up on in here, and receive hundreds of hate emails. I know this first hand. If ya’ were a little nicer on the forums them there would be no need for us. At least I say ( I am a puppet )

So when we do post its like pay back you stop and we stop

Have you ever notice sometimes things just happen

Ya know, I have somewhere around 1500 posts between the old forums and the new ones, and have only received a few "hate mails" in that time. I've always posted exactly what was on my mind, even if it wasn't the most popular thing on here. While I have only got a few hate mails, I've got dozens of emails thanking me for my posts from people who have agreed with me, or at least enjoyed the debate, even if we agreed to disagree. I can only suggest that if your "real" account receives hundreds of hate mails every time you post, that maybe you need to rethink what you type before hitting send. Are you truly expressing your opinion in an intelligent manner? Or just posting off topic personal insults like you do as Sock Puppet?

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Ya know, I have somewhere around 1500 posts between the old forums and the new ones, and have only received a few "hate mails" in that time.

Same here. Im far from the lovable GC.COM Fanboy #1 nor am I ever going to win a popularity contest here, but I have never even recieved one "hate" email off the forums. My email adress is pretty easy to get to so I thought I would get a few. The one or two I have gotten were from folks lookingto see why I thought a certian way.

Folks may stomp ya a mud hole on the forums but thats where it stays.

As to using a phony username, why the heck bother.

-tomwsmf

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org