Caches on your own property

Maybe I don't understand this, but a new cache was published recently in my area --> http://coord.info/GC2X8C4 . It is at someone's house in a regular neighborhood with nothing special in the area. Why place a cache on your own property when it's just a normal looking house with no uniqueness to exploring the area, etc? I don't get it.. I thought geocaching was about getting you out to places you've never been to, trails that you've never been exposed to, historical markers, etc. Not to cache at a neighborhood house, unless that house had history, i.e. haunted house, historical homes, etc.

Why would you want people going through the neighborhood at all hours, knowing where you live and having neighbors get suspicious and possibly call the police? I doubt this CO has informed any of his neighbors about this activity partaking at their house.

Am I missing the mark or what?

Maybe I don't understand this, but a new cache was published recently in my area --> http://coord.info/GC2X8C4 . It is at someone's house in a regular neighborhood with nothing special in the area. Why place a cache on your own property when it's just a normal looking house with no uniqueness to exploring the area, etc? I don't get it.. I thought geocaching was about getting you out to places you've never been to, trails that you've never been exposed to, historical markers, etc. Not to cache at a neighborhood house, unless that house had history, i.e. haunted house, historical homes, etc.

Why would you want people going through the neighborhood at all hours, knowing where you live and having neighbors get suspicious and possibly call the police? I doubt this CO has informed any of his neighbors about this activity partaking at their house.

Am I missing the mark or what?

In my opinion, you are kind of missing the mark in that you are ascribing your reasons to go geocaching onto every other player.

I just think there should be better guidelines of cache placement. I do admit I do go to LPC once in a while while I'm out shopping but do not get the allure of putting a cache in front of your house. If that delights some other geocachers, more power to them... I thought I was going to a unique area or trail.. heck I wouldnt have minded a LPC but to go directly to someone's house was discouraging.

I think your note on the cache page is uncalled for, if I was the CO I would delete it.

It's pretty obvious from the cache page and the map that it's in a yard. If you don't like caches in front yards, don't go look for it.

As for "why," maybe they like meeting other geocachers. Maybe they like the idea of looking out their window and watching you search for their cache. It makes at least as much sense as putting a film can under a lamp post in a parking lot.

I do think that this note, placed by the CO on the page, should be in the text of the cache description:

"this is my property and the cashe is within reach of the side walk and it is difficult to find but it is there. And it is not on the electrical service box....Visits during the daylight hours are prefered. And feel free to knock on the door and introduce yourself my son and I like to meet other geo cashers."

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat

Well gosh I better start following the rules of one geocacher and throw out all my viewpoints.

Baaaaaaaaaa

Fundamental Placement Guidelines

You assure us that you have the landowner's and/or land manager's permission before you hide any geocache, whether placed on private or public property.

It's a pretty good bet that the person who chooses to hide a cache on his own lawn has given himself permission to do same.

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat

Well gosh I better start following the rules of one geocacher and throw out all my viewpoints.

Baaaaaaaaaa

Yeah, but it's one Geocacher everyone should always agree with. :ph34r:

21% of the 14 words on the cache page spelled incorrectly, already a run in with a neighbor who wasn't informed about the cache. I would ignore as quickly as I can move my mouse to the upper right hand corner of the cache page. And that's about it, end of story.

Baaaaaaaaaa

The viewpoint is more than just from "one geocacher". It's straight from the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines page:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Lots of different people play this game in lots of different ways.
Amen!

I know someone who regularly holds events at his home. He sets up his power tools, provides containers and supplies, and encourages everyone to come over and build creatively camouflaged containers.

The cache in his front yard is nothing compared to that.

21% of the 14 words on the cache page spelled incorrectly, already a run in with a neighbor who wasn't informed about the cache. I would ignore as quickly as I can move my mouse to the upper right hand corner of the cache page. And that's about it, end of story.

And it has a name that Beavis and Butt-head would laugh at for hours.

I have one on my property.

1. I like to meet people, and I have met some good people hunting my cache.

2. I am showing folks (indirectly) about gardening with native plants can be attractive and economical (especially with regards to mowing and watering)

3. Having the cache on my own property gives me a little more flexibility about the cache placement/design than if I was placing it on public property somewhere. I can get very creative and test ideas.

4. If you like trackables (like I do), a cache in your own yard allows you to provide those trackables a bit more security than they might otherwise get elsewhere. I am not prone to put trackables in a lot of local caches, because most of the ones big enough to hold them are in places that get burned more frequently by prescribed fires than they get found. My house is also close to the highway, so it's a fairly easy stop for someone looking to move trackables.

If you don't want to come by and find it, don't. Nobody's forcing you to do anything.

I do believe that you are quoting BS's personal opinion. I've got a personal opinion, too, so do other posters on the forum. That doesn't mean that it's against the Guidelines.

There are plenty of caches on the properties of sociable cache owners. They like to meet other cachers, more than likely.

It's worked out quite well for us, so we're glad some people are willing to be ambassadors for the activity.

...And what if said geocache is in a really awesome homemade container that nobody's ever seen before & is really challenging to find? I think I'd make the trip to a junk yard just to see an awesome container like that (as long as my Tetanus was up-to-date)..but that's me. I happen to like the creative side to this game. Ya'll can wait in the car if you'd like :-p

You assure us that you have the landowner's and/or land manager's permission before you hide any geocache, whether placed on private or public property.

It's a pretty good bet that the person who chooses to hide a cache on his own lawn has given himself permission to do same.

That would seem to be so obvious that it wouldn't need explaining. :unsure:

Apparently not. :lol:

Edited by Pup Patrol

16 caches to go and I can start showing my hidden caches on my 85 acre parcel. I give ya'll permission to go there. Try to avoid the bears. Also, it is next to state land and the shooting is pretty extreme during any and all hunting seasons. I suggest you wear a lot of orange.

I've been to 2 different caches on private property (houses). One got a favorite and the other, I'll take my family back to see the ship with the turret in the middle of the yard and then that one too will get a favorite. 2 great impressions so far.

Edited by A & J Tooling

Thanks for all the comments thus far; I was seeking justification for cache placement at a house that holds very little reasoning to do so. I agree everyone plays the game differently, and to each their own. I am not barring this CO from having a cache on their own property and squeal and giggle everytime they see a cacher go into their property. If this is what they desire - then go for it. I know I won't be going back to place a find and that will be my own decision and everyone would agree with that. For those that do find it - congrats on finding a useless cache that serves no purpose to the game of geocaching.

For those that do find it - congrats on finding a useless cache that serves no purpose to the game of geocaching.

Passive-aggressive...no need for that.

There have been perfectly valid reasons for placing/finding caches on a fellow cacher's property.

Just because YOU don't agree with those valid reasons is no excuse to insult others.

I understand why a person wouldn't want to hunt it. I have passed on the two that I know about because I don't like to hunt them, either. I would feel watched, & a little bit like they were lying in wait for me. Meeting people, to me, shouldn't feel like that.

However, I also understand why some people like them, & would like to hide them on their property. I get it. I also get that not everyone feels the way I do about finding them.

What I don't understand, is why it matters so much to you. You seem angry & indignant.. When you could just pass on it & never give it another thought. That's what I'm curious about.

I see no problem placing a cache in your front yard. We went to a local multi (very short)that was in a fellow cachers front yard. The CO came out while we were looking for it and said hi. I would not place one in my yard but he likes putting faces to the names he sees on the logs. As long as the neighbors are aware of the cache and it doesn't cause a problem then it's no harm no foul. If it does cause a problem that cannot be fixed then the CO should consider archieving it.

For those that do find it - congrats on finding a useless cache that serves no purpose to the game of geocaching.

I generally avoid caches at people homes, but people do hide them and others do enjoy them. All part of the game of Geocaching.

However, people who log on line with only TFTC on most of their logs serves no purpose to the game of Geocaching. You may want to be sure your not caching in a way that bothers many, before you start complaining about how others cache.

I do believe that you are quoting BS's personal opinion. I've got a personal opinion, too, so do other posters on the forum. That doesn't mean that it's against the Guidelines.

We all have opinions, but Groundspeak has chosen to list Brian's opinion on the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines page: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

...surely that gives it a bit more weight.

Gotta love the OP insulting the CO.

We all have opinions, but Groundspeak has chosen to list Brian's opinion on the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines page: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx...surely that gives it a bit more weight.

His statement has no weight at all and is hardly followed. Look at all the LPC's in the world.

We all have opinions, but Groundspeak has chosen to list Brian's opinion on the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines page: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Still not getting which specific item in the Guidelines you're talking about.

Hopefully it's not the "cache saturation" guideline.

Still not getting which specific item in the Guidelines you're talking about.

Hopefully it's not the "cache saturation" guideline.

The quote is specifically and explicitly listed on the guidelines page. Maybe they just put it there to be cute. :anicute:

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how the quote answers the question that the OP has asked (Why place a cache on your own property when it's just a normal looking house with no uniqueness to exploring the area, etc? I don't get it..)

It seems to me that the reason that a cache owner might want to bring geocachers to that spot on their property is because they enjoy the social aspect of the game and meeting other geocachers. For a geocacher that enjoys the social aspect of the game and the possibility of meeting another geocacher, the property of another geocacher would seem to me to be a good spot to place a cache. There might be several reasons for bringing people to a spot and those reasons aren't limited to scenic locations, unique areas, or locations that might provide an object which can be used for a difficult hide.

The quote is specifically and explicitly listed on the guidelines page. Maybe they just put it there to be cute. :anicute:

I finally found what you're talking about:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Maybe it's me, but that does not include it as a part of the Guidelines. It's just quoting someone, as a suggestion or perhaps as a "philosophy".

If Groundspeak wished to enforce that quote as a guideline, then there's a lot of caches that need to be archived.

I wish all the Guidelines pages were merged into ONE location. I was skimming over the Guidelines found at http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11 , trying to see where Briansnat was quoted as part of the Guidelines.

Another reason would be to create a really large cache that's easily accessible and has no chance of getting muggled. The ultimate TB hotel.

Yep. The first cache I ever found that was located on the property of the cache owner was a Geocoin hotel. The CO kept most of the coins inside his house and suggested if there was a specific coin in the inventory that someone wanted to grab to send a PM and he'd move it to the cache. The cache was also the first PMO cache that I found and the intent was prevent geocoin theft. That didn't stop someone from taking all of the coins from it on a long weekend when about 25 other geocaches in Central and Western NY were hit to steal geocoins.

When I found the cache the CO came out to meet me and I had a very nice chat for about a 1/2 hour (he was the first geocacher that I met) before I went off to a nearby cache where I met about 5 other geocachers (two different groups) and then ran into another geocacher later in the day. It was just one of those gorgeous spring days when lots of geocachers were out enjoying the day.

I haven't placed a cache on my property, but I can imagine a bunch of reasons why someone may wish to do so.

1. Introduce their young kids to geocaching. They can help plant & maintain and also watch geocachers through the window.

2. Tinker with an elaborate container. It's easier to tweak and improve if you can do so repeatedly without having to travel far.

3. Want to occasionally watch people enjoy your work rather than merely read "TFTC" in an online log.

4. It can feel like a safe place to start hiding caches. I can imagine people placing #1 on their property to learn and avoid mistakes on #2 - #n.

5. Occasionally meet cachers if they're willing to knock and you've pointed out that you're fine w/ them knocking.

6. etc...

Who am I to limit why people do what they do. The point is there are 1.3 MILLION caches on the planet. You do NOT need to do them all. You do NOT need to do all the caches in your local area. If you don't like private property caches, avoid them.... not that difficult a solution.

That's pretty much all of them.

I enjoy finding caches, especially if there's a nice hike through some scenic woods involved. But apart from providing me some entertainment, none of them are actually useful, or serve any purpose.

I don't like nanos. I don't like to have to roll them back up and stuff them back in that tiny little top. I can not do it without cussing out the cache. So, I do not look for them. I attempt to avoid them. But I don't rant and rave about the people who placed them. I'm sure some people enjoy them or else there would be none.

Some times you gotta' remember the game wasn't invented to please everyone in every situation.

You don't know his reason for placing the cache. Maybe he just wanted to meet other cachers. Probably a good thing you decided not to find it since you seem to have taken offense to it.

If it is on the land owner's property, I'm pretty sure he has permission to hide it there.

Thanks for all the comments thus far; I was seeking justification for cache placement at a house that holds very little reasoning to do so. I agree everyone plays the game differently, and to each their own. I am not barring this CO from having a cache on their own property and squeal and giggle everytime they see a cacher go into their property. If this is what they desire - then go for it. I know I won't be going back to place a find and that will be my own decision and everyone would agree with that. For those that do find it - congrats on finding a useless cache that serves no purpose to the game of geocaching.

The interesting thing about these forums is that you often don't get the response you were seeking. Not everybody takes such offense to this kind of placement. Some people understand that we are all different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. It doesn't mean the others shouldn't have their say too.

Not angry or indignant. Consider this my last post on this topic.

Will move onto my next rant and raving post topic :)

You sure do seem indignant. Probably a good thing this is your last post on the topic.

Considering the fact that they highlighted the background and attributed the quote to him, it's pretty clear they were being cute. It is a pretty good quote.

I don't like nanos. I don't like to have to roll them back up and stuff them back in that tiny little top. I can not do it without cussing out the cache. So, I do not look for them. I attempt to avoid them. But I don't rant and rave about the people who placed them. I'm sure some people enjoy them or else there would be none.

Some times you gotta' remember the game wasn't invented to please everyone in every situation.

For what it's worth, I love nanos. I get a strange satisfaction out of finding something so impossibly small.

That said, there are some caches that bother me. Such as when I micro is placed, but not needed. I'd rather see a cacher get more creative on the placement of a larger container than to just throw a bison tube out there.

There are some urban places where micros are the only practical option, but micros in the woods? come on...

As for doorstep caches. I don't really like them either, for a reason already mentioned. It feels like I'm being ambushed. However, for the few that I have been brave enough to go out and get, they have been well worth it, as the hides have been very creative. As mentioned, there is more leeway when hiding on your own land.

I try to remember the CO's motive for hiding caches when I find one that ticks me off... and that is to contribute to the community. I haven't met a cache hidden with ill intentions.

You don't know his reason for placing the cache. Maybe he just wanted to meet other cachers. Probably a good thing you decided not to find it since you seem to have taken offense to it.

If it is on the land owner's property, I'm pretty sure he has permission to hide it there.

When the cache was published, there was nothing in the description or logs that this was the CO's property or that he/she gave permission to enroach onto their property. Hence why a lot of other cachers were also wary of stepping onto the cache until the CO responded, and even then the coordinates were in another lot of an owner that didn't approve of people enroaching on their property. Can you imagine if that neighbor "with poor social" skills had a gun and shot you for trespassing on his property? All the more reason that the CO should notify its neighbors if they they thought they were wandering around, going in other people's properties and shooting them. People are not all that nice about geocachers..

Baaaaaaaaaa

Not at all! The kewlest thing about this game is that it is open to all. Even those who would willingly dismiss the opinions of a cacher who has long been recognized by his peers, and has even been recognized by Groundspeak, as being a pillar of the geocaching community. Ain't that neat? You can ignore everything he says, spewing countless film cans across the globe and it's OK! There is absolutely no reason why you should consider such backwards, Puritan notions such as quality over quantity. The P&G aficionados will love you! Rock on, Brother! Play the game you want to play. To heck with those who actually know what they are talking about! :rolleyes::lol::ph34r:

When the cache was published, there was nothing in the description or logs that this was the CO's property or that he/she gave permission to enroach onto their property.

You're right, the reviewer never bothered to ask if it was his house, yep, he published a cache hidden on someones house without asking if it was even there house... Huh?

Perhaps I can publish a cache at mresoteric & Pup Patrol houses and not bother to publish any forewarning that this is not my house or that they don't have their permission to go onto their property. I'm sure the reviewer will publish it with no issues. After all, we have to assume that I do live there and that I give permission even though I make NO STATEMENTS up front about it. Sure!

Edited by _Wolverine

Perhaps I can publish a cache at mresoteric & Pup Patrol houses and not bother to publish any forewarning that this is not my house or that they don't have their permission to go onto their property. I'm sure the reviewer will publish it with no issues. After all, we have to assume that I do live there and that I give permission even though I make NO STATEMENTS up front about it. Sure!

You've never used a reviewer note? When a cache is in the publishing stage, the reviewer asks questions when an possible issue arises, E.G. a cache at a house. When you respond you use a reviewer note, which is deleted as soon as the cache is published. Perhaps you should read up on the reviewing process more, I've definitely have used reviewer notes for things similar to this.