A Power Trail of Benchmarks?

DragonsWest

Over the weekend I was driving westward along California 78 from Salton Sea to Anza Borrego when I glanced over and saw the unmistakable shape of a monument. A quick U-turn (on a mostly vacant highway) and I returned to eyeball A579 Soon I observed there was a -578 and -579 series from 1939 along the road, pretty easy to spot. From the looks of finds along the road they're mostly findable with many in the area yet unrecorded by finders on GC.com. As long as you have water and don't mind the Sun it looks like a great place to see how many you could find in a day, if you're in it for the numbers or just for the fun of seeing how many you can find in a series without a gap. I only had time to log a few along the road and thought it would be fun to try to get A-Z. Some may require taking along a small spade as the shifting sands may have obscured a few.

Also observed were many square concrete monuments with a steel rod protruding from the top. I took a few coordinate readings and some pictures. Not sure if these were Riverside County projects or what, but they do look pretty old. One picture has lettering on it.

mon1.jpg

mon2.jpg

Edited by DragonsWest

Over the weekend I was driving westward along California 78 from Salton Sea to Anza Borrego when I glanced over and saw the unmistakable shape of a monument. A quick U-turn (on a mostly vacant highway) and I returned to eyeball A579 Soon I observed there was a -578 and -579 series from 1939 along the road, pretty easy to spot. From the looks of finds along the road they're mostly findable with many in the area yet unrecorded by finders on GC.com. As long as you have water and don't mind the Sun it looks like a great place to see how many you could find in a day, if you're in it for the numbers or just for the fun of seeing how many you can find in a series without a gap. I only had time to log a few along the road and thought it would be fun to try to get A-Z. Some may require taking along a small spade as the shifting sands may have obscured a few.

Also observed were many square concrete monuments with a steel rod protruding from the top. I took a few coordinate readings and some pictures. Not sure if these were Riverside County projects or what, but they do look pretty old. One picture has lettering on it.

mon1.jpg

While there are runs of benchmarks in many places (along older highways and railroads) those - the two (one?) that you took pictures of appear to be Highway ROW monuments. ("RW MON") However, I'm not familiar with that area (unfortunately!), so I'll leave others to clarify on that. :)

--Mike.

DragonsWest,

Too bad that Pa Paw is missing from this string. Looks like every other one has been logged! (edit: logged as found)

Does anyone have an unbroken run (edit: logged as found) - A thru Z? With or without India and Oscar, of course.

kayakbird

Edited by kayakbird

DragonsWest,

Too bad that Pa Paw is missing from this string. Looks like every other one has been logged! (edit: logged as found)

Does anyone have an unbroken run (edit: logged as found) - A thru Z? With or without India and Oscar, of course.

kayakbird

Do you mean logged as in found or logged as in found/destroyed/missing?

John

John, I did leave out a couple of words, didn't I. Thanks, Mike

DragonsWest,

kayakbird

Do you mean logged as in found or logged as in found/destroyed/missing?

John

John, I did leave out a couple of words, didn't I. Thanks, Mike

We have found 1 complete run in southern Utah (Kane County) but 1 of them was found in destroyed condition. It looked as though it had been hit by a grader.

John

John, Did you map scout and get all of them in one day? Mike

No we didn't. There are 3 different runs between Page, AZ and Kanab, UT. The first 1 starts in Kanab and the "A" is missing (at least we couldn't find it), but the rest of that line is still there (at least I think it is). The next run starts where the first ended and we found all 24 with the "M" having been hit by the grader and severely damaged.

We had downloaded Kane County to GSAK and from there transferred the file to our mapping program. It was easy to see the string of benchmarks that runs for over 65 miles along Hwy 89. We loaded that file to the GPSr and whenever we were going that way we would stop and grab some.

There are several other runs that we have done in this area, but there is always 1 or 2 that have been destroyed and are gone, so we can't claim a find for the full run.

John

speelliing got me!

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)