Garmin Nuvi 1350/1350T

a12mickey

So, for those of you who know about this sort of thing, I need opinions. I'm considering purchasing a Garmin Nuvi 1350 or 1350T. I researched and got EasyGPS to download waypoints. Will this work fairly well?? We're mostly using it as a car GPS but plan on doing some geocaching as well. I know it's a bit more challenging but will it work alright?? Any advice would be great.

I can't speak to any of the specs of the unit, or its ability to be used for geocaching but I can speak to the T capability.

If you live in a city that has the T capable broadcasts, and are willing to pay for it then it "may" be useful. When I bought my Nuvi I opted for the non-T unit and saved a few bucks.

Downloading waypoints into a Nuvi is very easy and the unit will route you as you drive close to the cache. I have a Nuvi 1300 and it works great in the car, but have never used it to hunt for the cache, so can't help there. When out of the car I use a handheld Garmin Dakota or iPhone, just depends on where I am and the the cache location.

it will not work as good as a dedicated geocaching GPS but it will be OK

you have to remember once you take it out of the car and go for the cache to switch it to Off-road and Pedestrian mode, give it a few seconds to adjust and off you go

Automotive units make lousy geocaching units. They can work, just like you can play tennis with a baseball bat, or hammer in nails with the heel of a shoe, or mow your lawn with pruning shears.

If what you said was true... With over 2600 finds in all types of terrain and weather in less than 3 years from our first find, and without using power trails or cache machines to inflate our numbers... We must be some of the best geocachers ever.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Having the ability to go into any environment with a "lousy" unit, regardless how tricky, small, or impossible to see and find the cache in a short amount of time (sometimes even in a few seconds) means that we have truly mastered this game.

Thank You for such high praise, I guess we deserved it. :lol::P:lol:

So if you need any pointers we will be happy to help those not as gifted as us. B)

Automotive units make lousy geocaching units. They can work, just like you can play tennis with a baseball bat, or hammer in nails with the heel of a shoe, or mow your lawn with pruning shears.

If what you said was true... With over 2600 finds in all types of terrain and weather in less than 3 years from our first find, and without using power trails or cache machines to inflate our numbers... We must be some of the best geocachers ever.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Having the ability to go into any environment with a "lousy" unit, regardless how tricky, small, or impossible to see and find the cache in a short amount of time (sometimes even in a few seconds) means that we have truly mastered this game.

Thank You for such high praise, I guess we deserved it. :lol::P:lol:

So if you need any pointers we will be happy to help those not as gifted as us. B)

My hat is off to you. I've used my automotive unit to find caches and it certainly makes things far more difficult.

We've used a Nuvi 1450 for just about a year now and are nearing the 250 find mark. I did buy my husband a hand held for Christmas and he uses that and I still use the Nuvi. The only thing the Nuvi does not do is tell me how far away from the cache we are. Other than that, it works great for finding caches. I make sure I put it in pedestrian mode after parking the car and the only other thing I do is keep expanding the screen as we get closer to the cache. When it shows that I'm standing pretty much on top the cache, it's almost always pretty close by. We've downloaded some of the extra voices and vehicles and we always have a blast with the "Squirrel" voice.

Been using our NUVI 2650 works well for us.

Use GSAK for up loading details from my pocket query each week, have mangaged to find a macro that does most of the hard work.

Been paperless caching for ages with it. You do have to switch the setting between pedestrian and vehicle but it's no big deal.

I've been using it and my Android phone and an etrex and the Nuvi responds the quickest.

Of course it's not perfect but then getting there is only part of the hunt.

Halflings dad