I don't get it...

...and I'm serious about wanting an explanation.

"What is the enjoyment some cachers get for placing hundreds of generic P&G's?"

I enjoy getting long log entries and hearing the interesting stories that came out of search. I like getting favorite points. (I know you're not supposed to admit that.) What enjoyment do others get out of placing hundreds of generic P&G's that generate TFTC! logs and very few favorite points? You open up your email and get a bunch of nearly identical & generic log posts, what fun is that?

There has to be some enjoyment from doing this, or else it wouldn't continue. I'm quite serious about the question. I can see placing a few 'dull' caches when you're new and then going..."this isn't much fun"...but to place hundreds? I don't get it.

What am I missing?

People place caches they like finding. I love P & G caches, just as much as I love ammo boxes in the woods. Depends on my mood.

I could care less about what people wrote in there logs, I just hide them for personal reasons, I want more cache saturation, I don't think that about 750 within 10 miles is enough, I want 2,000, so I hope by hiding only a few caches I can get people to hide more, while still leaving enough room for other people to hide caches (for me to find).

What I don't get is what you DON'T like about P & G's. Hey, to each there own.

I see it now, you are in the opposite situation of me, you hit the PERFECT cache saturation point (2,500 in 10 miles of Denver CO.)

You seem to like P & G's however, you still manage to do on average 5 caches per day, i'm assuming that not every one of your 5 caches per day are the 100% creative/amazing caches.

I think you need to experience lack of cache saturation, or at least stop actually doing P & G caches for a week. For someone so used to them, you'll miss them, and probably change your tone next time you start a thread about them.

I could care less about what people wrote in there logs, I just hide them for personal reasons, I want more cache saturation, I don't think that about 750 within 10 miles is enough, I want 2,000, so I hope by hiding only a few caches I can get people to hide more, while still leaving enough room for other people to hide caches (for me to find).

That's probably the biggest reason. People want lots of caches to find so they hide lots in order to get others to hides lots too.

I know it's difficult for some around here to understand, but there are a lot of people who share your feeling on logs. Some people just don't care that much about them.

Me? I prefer the harder to reach caches. But this sport is big enough for us all.

People place caches they like finding. I love P & G caches, just as much as I love ammo boxes in the woods. Depends on my mood.

Coldgears, I don't get it, you only have 3 active caches and they don't look like they are P&Gs. The OP asked why anyone would hide 100s of P&Gs with no redeeming value which get zero favorite votes and mostly TFTC logs. You are not one of those types of cache hiders.

Coldgears, I don't get it, you only have 3 active caches and they don't look like they are P&Gs. The OP asked why anyone would hide 100s of P&Gs with no redeeming value which get zero favorite votes and mostly TFTC logs. You are not one of those types of cache hiders.

I don't want to hide urban caches, I feel there are way to many of them. Honestly, I just wish I had hiders of 100+ P & G's here, and the OP seems to be taking it for granted, his area has not just 100's of P & G's but also 100's of great caches in parks and woods, theres really not many places that don't have caches in his area. I'm actually kind of jealous.

Edited by Coldgears

I enjoy getting long log entries and hearing the interesting stories that came out of search. I like getting favorite points. (I know you're not supposed to admit that.) What enjoyment do others get out of placing hundreds of generic P&G's that generate TFTC! logs and very few favorite points? You open up your email and get a bunch of nearly identical & generic log posts, what fun is that?

There has to be some enjoyment from doing this, or else it wouldn't continue. I'm quite serious about the question. I can see placing a few 'dull' caches when you're new and then going..."this isn't much fun"...but to place hundreds? I don't get it.

What am I missing?

It beats me. I'm with you... if I haven't at least tried to do something new, fun, and exciting with my cache, then I feel that I have failed. I guess some people just don't have the same drive or imagination or time on their hands or something like that, but still want to contribute anyway, and while I can't really fault them for that, I also have to ask, "Why bother?".

I doesn't get it neither. :blink:

Just about 100 miles north of here is a 'team' who has about 600 hides. One of their series is up to about 150 caches!

Probably only 100 of the total have anything more than the same old boilerplate-text write-up (and they apparently think any write-up or log must have at least 25 emoticons, but that's a different subject...).

I guess they think they are 'giving back to the community' by hiding a cache at every pull-out along the country roads in their area.

If I could just interject here, as pretty much a newbie.... I started in April and only have 117 finds and two hides as of today. First of all, P&Gs are a great way for some of us to learn the ropes. I have discovered lots of things I never knew, such as light post skirts lift up. Never knew that. Not a big deal in the scheme of things but hey, I still learned something. I've been working on getting a cache per day and I'm around 41 days in a row or so. Most days I try to find something challenging, but sometimes I don't have time to really look hard and find something else if I can't find the original cache I wanted, so again, P&Gs fit the bill nicely. I like them just fine, thank you. I realize that you're talking about hiding 100s of them and maybe that's a different story, but consider this:

As a very, very new hider...It can be really intimidating. There are pages of rules we have to adhere to. I was really nervous when I did my first hide. Was it ok? Did I meet all the criteria? Did I break any rules? Would people actually LIKE the hide? Was it too easy? Too hard? did I get the coordinates right??? You get the picture. There was a fair amount of stress involved and some apprehension. I actually lost some sleep over my first hide, wondering if I did it right and if it would get published. Then I got a note from the reviewer that they weren't going to publish it because it wasn't within a certain distance from my home. I had to go back and make a note for the reviewer that we own a vacation home accross the street from the hide and since I maintain that home and visit regularly, I was sure I could maintain this cache by myself. Another day goes by and more anxious hours and again a little lost sleep. It did get OK'd the next day.

You may think I'm being overly dramatic and maybe I AM a bit too sensitive, but it was intimidating and kind of scary. I am guessing that if someone has found a procedure that works for them, maybe they don't want to mess with it. I don't really know why someone would choose to do it but I'm just asking you all to remember back to when you were new at this and see it from that position. Maybe they are just playing it safe to avoid any problems.

If I could just interject here, as pretty much a newbie.... I started in April and only have 117 finds and two hides as of today. First of all, P&Gs are a great way for some of us to learn the ropes. I have discovered lots of things I never knew, such as light post skirts lift up. Never knew that. Not a big deal in the scheme of things but hey, I still learned something. I've been working on getting a cache per day and I'm around 41 days in a row or so. Most days I try to find something challenging, but sometimes I don't have time to really look hard and find something else if I can't find the original cache I wanted, so again, P&Gs fit the bill nicely. I like them just fine, thank you. I realize that you're talking about hiding 100s of them and maybe that's a different story, but consider this:

As a very, very new hider...It can be really intimidating. There are pages of rules we have to adhere to. I was really nervous when I did my first hide. Was it ok? Did I meet all the criteria? Did I break any rules? Would people actually LIKE the hide? Was it too easy? Too hard? did I get the coordinates right??? You get the picture. There was a fair amount of stress involved and some apprehension. I actually lost some sleep over my first hide, wondering if I did it right and if it would get published. Then I got a note from the reviewer that they weren't going to publish it because it wasn't within a certain distance from my home. I had to go back and make a note for the reviewer that we own a vacation home accross the street from the hide and since I maintain that home and visit regularly, I was sure I could maintain this cache by myself. Another day goes by and more anxious hours and again a little lost sleep. It did get OK'd the next day.

You may think I'm being overly dramatic and maybe I AM a bit too sensitive, but it was intimidating and kind of scary. I am guessing that if someone has found a procedure that works for them, maybe they don't want to mess with it. I don't really know why someone would choose to do it but I'm just asking you all to remember back to when you were new at this and see it from that position. Maybe they are just playing it safe to avoid any problems.

Firstly, I would suggest deleting the duplicate logs. :sad:

Secondly, we are talking about people who have hundreds of hides. None of which seem to have any real point of being except to provide another smiley to the finder. Your caches do not seem to fall into that category. :)

I think you need to experience lack of cache saturation, or at least stop actually doing P & G caches for a week. For someone so used to them, you'll miss them, and probably change your tone next time you start a thread about them.

I've sworn off lame park & grabs - caches whose sole purpose is to allow find counts to increase. No DTs yet.

I appreciate the responses to far. :)

My intent is not to knock generic P&G's with this question, though I'm very burnt out on them right now. They do serve a purpose and I understand placing a few.

What I wonder about is why some people enjoy placing hundreds of them. The vast majority of the logs for generic P&G's are not much more than "TFTC!". But, obviously some people enjoy getting lots of generic log entries.

Its hard to put out interesting caches. It takes the rusty gears in my mind weeks to gestate and then create a cache, so I've placed very few. But...I'd love to have more out because I enjoy the log entries so much. To me, it makes the maintenance issues worthwhile.

To me, a hundred TNLNSL's or TFTC's don't compare to the less frequent log entries like this:

I just couldn't resist...!

It was somwhat difficult to open the case and my eyes were really surprised at the sight of the content (somewhat like in the film PULP FICTION on opening the suitcase) and I haven't had so much fun in discovering a cache since I found '300' in Germany icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

What else can I say: he side effects are in full expansion now and next to the long log entry, I will soon move my fingers towards directing the inevitable consequence: Favorite point

TFTC !!!!!!!!

But that's my bias. I'm just trying to understand the other extreme.

I would guess that a park and grab is to some degree easier to maintain if one chooses to maintain whereas the same person may have more difficulty consistently maintaining a cache out in the boonies.

I haven't hidden any (stupid highway move anyways). However, due to my work schedule and such I would be more likely to hide an easier to get to cache because I wouldn't have time to consistently get out to a more difficult to get to cache. (Except my totally cool spot is going to be under the road in short order here)

Though I have seen 100's of park and grab caches hidden folks and never maintained. Which is always the bigger question to me than why 100's of park and grabs. Why 100's of caches in general if you can't or won't maintain them. Shoot I know 1 cache at this point will be all I can handle maintenance wise... I wouldn't go toss 99 more out for good measure.

We had a group of friends in our area who felt if you weren't hiding caches then you weren't "giving back" to the community. There was even an infamous post on our local forums where those of us who advocated quality over quantity were told we were "a bunch of leeches".

The net result was a ton of PnGs of little redeeming value other than to show us every garbage can in the area. It was a shame because they also hid some great caches, but those were overshadowed by the "because there was no other cache within 161m" hides.

Some people are motivated by numbers. The same group once archived most of their caches only to republish them under new names and GC numbers a few weeks later, again to pump their numbers -- both of hides and finds.

Personally, I don't get it either. Maybe it is a symptom of coming from an era when a new cache being published was a noteworthy event versus the constant flood of new caches that hit our area every week (day?) now.

What am I missing?

It's about the numbers. For some its the finds, for others its hides. Just as finding lots of generic P&Gs is a quick and easy way to increase your find count, sowing film canisters around like grass seed is a great way to get your hide count up.

What am I missing?

The gift of smiley.

I could employ brevity and leave it at that, but there's more to it.

Nah. Brevity works for me this morning.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I barely even skimmed the OP and totally discarded what anyone else had to say. I'm in a mood. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why someone would hide hundreds of P&Gs.. I'm not going to say that I am. However, I do know that as we continue putting out hides, we will continue to pepper the area with P&Gs that are wheelchair accessible. We don't want to leave anyone out while making hides..we want there to be a little something for everyone. Kids, adults, hikers, climbers, & the disabled. (Of course the list goes on a bit longer than that..) Of course we're just beginning so things may change a little as we go along..& the P&G we have so far is in a nice location. It doesn't take much effort to hide a wheelchair accessible P&G with a nice view around here, though. It might be more difficult to do this in other areas.

I don't want to hide urban caches, I feel there are way to many of them. Honestly, I just wish I had hiders of 100+ P & G's here, and the OP seems to be taking it for granted, his area has not just 100's of P & G's but also 100's of great caches in parks and woods, theres really not many places that don't have caches in his area. I'm actually kind of jealous.

purple-crayon.jpg

The first bolded statement completely contradicts the other two. ???

It's about the numbers. For some its the finds, for others its hides. Just as finding lots of generic P&Gs is a quick and easy way to increase your find count, sowing film canisters around like grass seed is a great way to get your hide count up.

What briansnat said.

If you don't like the cache, don't go find it! I would rather have lots to choose from all the time.

Sometimes when I go across town I just want to snag a quick 1 or 2. These are perfect for that.

I do leave more generic comments to caches I feel didn't take as much effort to hide.

Another issue, I have come home or back to work in some very dirty work clothes. These caches are great in that I don`t have to trundle through the woods in work shoes!

Shaun

To me, a hundred TNLNSL's or TFTC's don't compare to the less frequent log entries like this:

It was somwhat difficult to open the case and my eyes were really surprised at the sight of the content (somewhat like in the film PULP FICTION on opening the suitcase) and I haven't had so much fun in discovering a cache since I found '300' in Germany

Heh. Having been through 300, I considered it a valuable experience, something that built character, as my dad would say. Never really thought about it as "fun" per se, but I guess it was more fun than, say, peeling 300 potatoes.

It's a different game. Here is a simplified breakdown:

The first geocachers were MOSTLY people who liked to hike in the woods and see new places.

Hiding a single cache in an area served the purpose of bringing cachers to that area. Besides, most of them wouldn't be lugging around 200 ammo cans (or even lock&locks) every time they went out.

Then some people who NEVER went in the woods discovered the game and loved the "hidden in plain sight" aspect of it. It is much easier to hide a whole lot of this kind. I don't think everyone who plays the game this way is necessarily in it "for the numbers." They just want the rush over and over again as fast as they can get it. Like a rat pushing a lever for cocaine. Hey, I'm not saying I'm any different!

I might blow off a whole day and $60 in gas and bridge tolls to find a new cache deep in the woods in New Jersey.

Like I said, differet game. I've begun to think that there should be a seperate website for any cache, micro or smaller, that's in a parking lot.

I'm not knocking park n' grabs. I've grabbed more than my fair share and even given favorite points to some. I'm also not knocking those who put out a few simple LPC's. I've even got two caches that probably qualify as P&G's (though they are pretty unique).

My wonder is the fascination is with the very few who will put out hundreds of nearly identical unimaginative P&G's. It seems the thrill of the TFTC! logs would lose it's appeal after the first dozen or two.

I suppose the best answer so far is some sort of satisfaction gained from a large number.

Coldgears - yes, I live in an area which is heavily saturated with caches which probably colors my view a bit. If I lived in an area with very few caches the idea of a couple of hundred new ones would probably sound pretty good, even if they were all the same thing.

Like I said, differet game. I've begun to think that there should be a seperate website for any cache, micro or smaller, that's in a parking lot.

Good lord... Really? :blink:

Why don't you go start one and tell us how that works out for you. :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Cachin' is cachin'. It's freakin' hide and seek fer cryin' out loud. Take up fishing and berate the fish that don't blow your skirt up. You will have about the same impact. :mellow:

Here's what the owners of the longest numbers run trail said (from Clay4 & whtwolfden's ET Highway Info):

How the ET Highway came about: Gus (whtwolfden) and I came up with the idea when we took a trip to Salt Lake City back in October of 2009 for Geocoin Fest. We did a power trail that was near the event, which at the time, was about 140 caches located just west of Provo Utah (my bookmark list to this PT). We had so much fun with this PT, we started planning our own. It was all we talked about on the 8 hour drive back home. One Thousand was the goal....but where could we put 1000 caches and make it a true power trail?? E.T. Highway just happened to be 98 miles long and an interesting place to visit plus it was an area almost everyone has heard of and knows something about it. Several months later, after countless trips to all our local film processing counters, and making countless log sheets, we started placing caches. We put the caches down in a series of trips, placing anywhere from 150 to 350 a trip, and putting down about 40 caches an hour. 8-9 trips later, we had the whole trail and the Alien Head caches on the ground. We spend countless hours inputting all the cords and getting the pages ready.
If you still don't get it, then I doubt you ever will. Don't worry about it.

What am I missing?

The gift of smiley.

'nuff said. :)

If you don't like the cache, don't go find it!

This statement always bothers me. A park and grab or LPC might be obvious to some or even many but in a lot of cases, how are you supposed to know if you will like it or not before you go and look for it? Descriptions vary, most LPC's and rock walls don't say that is what they are in the description. When you've just driven 5, 10, 15 miles or more to an area to find a cache or caches and you get there and find out it's an LPC are you supposed to just leave and forget you ever came?

This statement always bothers me. A park and grab or LPC might be obvious to some or even many but in a lot of cases, how are you supposed to know if you will like it or not before you go and look for it? Descriptions vary, most LPC's and rock walls don't say that is what they are in the description. When you've just driven 5, 10, 15 miles or more to an area to find a cache or caches and you get there and find out it's an LPC are you supposed to just leave and forget you ever came?

I agree. "Don't like 'em, don't find 'em" also bothers me. I don't like cheap for-the-numbers micros but when someone lists them as small I don't know it until I get there. When that happens I will comment in the log that I filter out micros so was disappointed to see a film canister listed as small.

I don't like leaky gladware containers with mushy moldy rusty contents. Often, I don't know that I'm going to find one of these until I get there (funny how often people don't like to mention the condition of the box in the logs). When I find these, I'm going to claim the find and note the problem in the logs (and leave a NM or NA if applicable). If we ignore problem caches, and don't voice our disappointment (in a constructive way) the problem perpetuates.

Looking at the satellite view of a cache and I see it is in a parking lot, there are some curious slanting shadows on the ground and the arrow seems to be at the junction of the parking grids and this curious slanting shadow. Wonder if that is an ammo can in a stump? Sometimes it is not foolproof, but a lot can be learned by looking at the sat views.

I appreciate the responses to far. :)

My intent is not to knock generic P&G's with this question, though I'm very burnt out on them right now. They do serve a purpose and I understand placing a few.

What I wonder about is why some people enjoy placing hundreds of them. The vast majority of the logs for generic P&G's are not much more than "TFTC!". But, obviously some people enjoy getting lots of generic log entries.

Its hard to put out interesting caches. It takes the rusty gears in my mind weeks to gestate and then create a cache, so I've placed very few. But...I'd love to have more out because I enjoy the log entries so much. To me, it makes the maintenance issues worthwhile.

I just couldn't resist...!

It was somwhat difficult to open the case and my eyes were really surprised at the sight of the content (somewhat like in the film PULP FICTION on opening the suitcase) and I haven't had so much fun in discovering a cache since I found '300' in Germany icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

What else can I say: he side effects are in full expansion now and next to the long log entry, I will soon move my fingers towards directing the inevitable consequence: Favorite point

TFTC !!!!!!!!

So you have a bias as a cache owner to get longer favorable logs and perhaps a few favorites points as a motivation for hinding caches. Someone else might get pleasure from just the knowledge that their cache was found. Perhaps some like to get a number of finds. Some statistics junkies like to look at their caching karma (number of times their caches have been found divide by their find count). Seems like there are many reason for hiding lots of P&G caches. There seemed to be many caches who are at least partially into finding a lot of cache at once. The popularity of powertrail point this out. It should not suprise anyone then that people are willing to put out powertrails - even though they take considerable effort to hide and perhaps to maintain (though powertrail owners are notorious for asking other cachers to do maintenance, including replacing missing containers). People tend to hide the types of caches they enjoy finding.

:mmraspberry:

Looking at the satellite view of a cache and I see it is in a parking lot, there are some curious slanting shadows on the ground and the arrow seems to be at the junction of the parking grids and this curious slanting shadow. Wonder if that is an ammo can in a stump? Sometimes it is not foolproof, but a lot can be learned by looking at the sat views.

What if you're on the road, and you don't have a computer with you? I have my cell phone with CacheSense on it, uploaded with caches in the area in caching in. I don't have access to satellite views via my phone.

What if you're on the road, and you don't have a computer with you? I have my cell phone with CacheSense on it, uploaded with caches in the area in caching in. I don't have access to satellite views via my phone.

Exactly!

I have no earthly idea. Different folks like different strokes, I reckon. I would not want to be associated with even one P&G, as I feel I have somewhat of a reputation to protect. Me and crappy hides do not get along. Owning a bunch of crappy caches seems like the perfect definition of Hell. Because I just don't get it, I really can't speculate on why someone would willingly own a bunch of sucky hides. Maybe Cold Gears has it right. Maybe those folks actually like these caches? Or maybe they are so dimwitted that a film can, tossed in a shrub, behind a Burger King, with an eight word cache page is, in their minds, the height of creativity? Maybe they follow the age old Monty Python skit misquote: "Every cache is sacred"?

We may never know... :unsure:

What I don't get is what you DON'T like about P & G's.

Because they suck... A lot.

This little hobby offers so many opportunities for the players to express their creativity.

To my highly biased caching aesthetics, not doing so is a shame.

But, as you say, to each their own. :lol:

What am I missing?

Maybe because the hiders want cachers to be able to find a lot of easy caches and have fun do it. Or maybe they like the fact that cachers will come from all over to rack up their numbers and have a good time doing it. Or maybe just because they can.

What I don't get is........................why whine about it. It's a game and anyone can play how they want to.

What am I missing?

Maybe because the hiders want cachers to be able to find a lot of easy caches and have fun do it. Or maybe they like the fact that cachers will come from all over to rack up their numbers and have a good time doing it. Or maybe just because they can.

What I don't get is........................why whine about it. It's a game and anyone can play how they want to.

Emphatic +1!

This does not sound like what you said in your previous log:

So, which is it?

I don't want to hide urban caches, I feel there are way to many of them or I just hide them for personal reasons, I want more cache saturation.

Seems like just another example of you saying whatever you think will stir the pot. <_<

If we ignore problem caches, and don't voice our disappointment (in a constructive way) the problem perpetuates.

+1. The same "if you don't like it, just ignore it" argument has been used frequently in regard to Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE) and I think we all know how effective that strategy has been.

i have a guy near me, he floods the staff with Caches even 2 weeks or so..his last series was one nano ever .01 Mile along a nice park trail..something like 44 of them..wasted alot of good places for Ammo Box/trade items caches with his nano's now, this not like its a new park or anything but hell..every .01 mile? all i can say is.... TFTC

i have a guy near me, he floods the staff with Caches even 2 weeks or so..his last series was one nano ever .01 Mile along a nice park trail..something like 44 of them..wasted alot of good places for Ammo Box/trade items caches with his nano's now, this not like its a new park or anything but hell..every .01 mile? all i can say is.... TFTC

I would like to know how he got them published only .01 miles apart. Man, that must have taken a boat load of milkbones, chocolate, and tea. That's only every 52.8 feet!

In This Thread: People conflate the distance of a cache from the parking lot with it's "creativity"

Does everyone else just live in an ugly boring city? In Austin there are TONS of awesome P&Gs that take you to neat little shops, culture spots, sculptures, museums, fountains or just nice simple views in a small city park.

If someone want to tell me that this cache is somehow worse than this cache it's fine, but lets not pretend one is "lazy and uncreative" while the other isn't.

It's intellectually dishonest. You just like hiking to caches as a matter of preference. Cut and dry.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the LOCATIONS I treasure, not the caches full of boxes. That's why I don't mind getting a DNF from time to time.

Edited by d+n.s

Thanks!!! to d+n.s. My town is small (50,000 population) and fairly unremarkable - flat geography, no mountains, no coastline, etc. Our public parks are small. Yet I really enjoy creatively hiding new caches. I spend hours writing thoughtful, correctly spelled descriptions. I search out unusual cache hosts and containers. Two new series that I will be working on this summer are (1) to highlight the varied architectural styles of historic homes and businesses downtown and (2) a series to highlight great landscaping around town. Are these ideas lame? I hope not, but it won't keep me up at night worrying if others think they are! There is also a very old, incredibly diverse and interesting (to me) graveyard near downtown that has a huge Civil War memorial. I plan to respectfully hide a couple of caches nearby to draw other graveyard lovers (yes - I am one) to this unusual spot. My thrill as a hider is looking for the quirky spots that have always fascinated me - think tiny jade earring rather than huge diamond cocktail ring.

In This Thread: People conflate the distance of a cache from the parking lot with it's "creativity"

Does everyone else just live in an ugly boring city? In Austin there are TONS of awesome P&Gs that take you to neat little shops, culture spots, sculptures, museums, fountains or just nice simple views in a small city park.

If someone want to tell me that this cache is somehow worse than this cache it's fine, but lets not pretend one is "lazy and uncreative" while the other isn't.

It's intellectually dishonest. You just like hiking to caches as a matter of preference. Cut and dry.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the LOCATIONS I treasure, not the caches full of boxes. That's why I don't mind getting a DNF from time to time.