Blank Logs (again)

Keeping, TBH I'm not sure how many I've had and don't really care.

I wouldn't post a blank log myself, but according to the 'rules' of the game a finder is only required to sign the log (not write anything meaningful in it) to claim a find, if they want to claim a find with a blank online log and you delete it then I suspect if they appealed to Groundspeak then their log would be allowed to stand.

One simple question

Are you KEEPING or DELETING blank logs?

I am DELETING

M [:D]

Sadly... if the physical log is signed... the blank log is valid... so should not be deleted.

And I'd wager you'd get bored of deleting them before someone like myself got bored of replacing it with another blank log!

Edited by NattyBooshka

For the moment keeping them....but a cunning plan could be to go and find the caches belonging to the person who has blank logged your cache, and blank log theirs, to see if they like it :mad: :mad: :mad:!!!!!

Not tested this theory... but I'd say the blank loggers are unlikely to own caches.

If my theory is proven invalid... I know that they wouldn't give a flying one!

worse decision ever from GC to allow blank logs....when i get a blank log how am i supposed to know that it wasn't logged by mistake instead of another one?

i have to admit that is been extremely tempting to delete them and it won't be long that i will get a blank log on a bad day :anibad:

For the moment keeping them....but a cunning plan could be to go and find the caches belonging to the person who has blank logged your cache, and blank log theirs, to see if they like it :mad: :mad: :mad:!!!!!

Not tested this theory... but I'd say the blank loggers are unlikely to own caches.

If my theory is proven invalid... I know that they wouldn't give a flying one!

The person who put blank logs on my caches today does not have caches of their own ....

They found 5 caches put notes on two and left my 3 blank...my caches aren't that bad honest guv :unsure::laughing:

I know I am always late logging :rolleyes: but I would not log a blank log, why log at all ?

:shocked:

why log at all ?

1/ It gets you a number. (caches found)

2/ Gets a nice :D

3/ Removes the cache from the list of caches you have to find.

Much as I dislike the ability to blank log, Groundspeak should force something to be written in Needs Maintenance, and Heaven Forbid they attempt to post one, a Needs Archived log.

(But, hopefully, the UK Reviewers wouldn't jump to Archive a cache with a blank NA from a new cacher...)

It could default to...

This log intentionally left blank

:rolleyes:

Helloo Betty, long time no speak...........so you mean my caches are crap then :(

All three were walks in pretty areas and all three are good size caches with swaps, maybe they just got out of bed on the wrong side today :ph34r:

<_<

Helloo Betty, long time no speak...........so you mean my caches are crap then :(

All three were walks in pretty areas and all three are good size caches with swaps, maybe they just got out of bed on the wrong side today :ph34r:

<_<

Howdly doodly doo, talk about putting words into my mouth Bertie!

You may have to consider they may be dyslexic and/or afraid of writing?

Either way, it is annoying, but then again, alot of geocaching things are getting annoying these days, it's a case of simply living with it or taking up another hobby if it stresses you out too much.

So chill Bertie, life's too short and as I learnt just last week, it can change or even be over in an instant!

Love & hugs

Betty

x

Edited by Dakar4x4

I had an archive notice today because the log book was full :huh: I have emailed and asked if it was full both sides but haven't had a reply!!

Added to a tftc last weekend and I emailed and asked if they didn't like it or perhaps how I could improve the caches. needless to say no reply to that either.

I am not all doom and gloom as I always email new cachers, welcome them to the game and offer help in the future if needed.

I had an archive notice today because the log book was full :huh: I have emailed and asked if it was full both sides but haven't had a reply!!

Added to a tftc last weekend and I emailed and asked if they didn't like it or perhaps how I could improve the caches. needless to say no reply to that either.

I am not all doom and gloom as I always email new cachers, welcome them to the game and offer help in the future if needed.

Yeah we have had should be archived for a full log book, drove 80 mile to Holy Island (we set this one before the limits kicked in :anitongue: ) to find the book full on one side :anibad: ........ needs maintenance because the pencil is blunt or even worse there was no pencil in the cache .. we are sooo bad :rolleyes: ... but at least they had wrote a log Lilian so we knew what the problem was !!

What good is a blank "needs maintenace" or "Needs Archiving" to anyone ?

Maybe I should email the cacher asking if they meant to leave a blank log and asking if they did not like my caches ?

What worries me is a lot of these folks drive cars but they can't type a few words on a log !! :o

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

One simple question

Are you KEEPING or DELETING blank logs?

I am DELETING

M [:D]

I keep them, but I do really hate them and would love to delete them as although I know it's just a game I can't help getting wound up when I receive a surge of idential logs in my inbox that tell me nothing about how my caches are. The same goes for "TFTC!" on every cache in my trails. At the same time though, I can understand that most of the people that do this are new to the game. I look back at the first cache I found and my log was "First cache ever! Lovely weather for it!" How lame! I didn't even know what "TFTC" meant! :laughing: Thinking back now there are so many things I could have said like how we entered a footpath a quarter of a mile down the road and walked in completely the opposite direction, or how I just stood blankly at GZ wondering where anybody could possibly hide a box without it being obvious to every passer by. Now I just waffle on for ages! :laughing: Suppose it makes up for my earlier brief logs, although I never logged a blank one.

I think maybe blank loggers should be educated rather than just have their logs deleted, I think possibly they don't really understand that CO's like to read the logs, or that they get notified via email whenever a new log is added. I tend to email those who leave rubbish logs for my entire series and just tell them that it's nice to hear their story. They don't really go back in and change their logs, but maybe it will make them think about adding a few more words on future caches.

It could default to...

This log intentionally left blank

:rolleyes:

I think the default text should be " Wonderful cache in a beatiful location, worth visiting" :lol:

Certainly think there should be a minimum number of characters for a found log to be valid. 4? eg TFTC. More should be needed for other types of logs.

In the end they aren't much different from cut & paste logs. Just had several this am which all said:

Found when on holiday in the area from norwich. TFTC

Apart the exciting knowledge that they were from Norwich, it doesn't say much more than " ".

Mostly I've given up caring, just delete the emails and move on. If it's blank, at least I don't have to spend a second or two reading the same C&P drivel again. If someone did that on a particular special cache, I'd delete it and email them. But if people can walk all the way to the top of Scafell and still write nothing, or just C&P their log, what hope for any other cache?

Geocaching is going much more mainstream and public. There are some weird people out there who have very different attitudes to stuff, so we have to expect some folk to complete .......!

Life! B)

I was emailed by a lady cacher last night, who said one of her local cachers had put the following onto their cache pages..

Logging Etiquette: Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider or other finders anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log.

I thought it was quite nice and well put and at the very least it is worth a try, I think I may try something like this on my caches.

Mandy :D

I was emailed by a lady cacher last night, who said one of her local cachers had put the following onto their cache pages..

Logging Etiquette: Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider or other finders anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log.

I thought it was quite nice and well put and at the very least it is worth a try, I think I may try something like this on my caches.

Mandy :D

:ph34r: I use that exact same quote on my cache pages! It does seem to be gettign the message across :D

That sounds good, I'll put that in some of my descriptions and see what happens. Thanks for posting it! :)

I had a blank DNF log the other day. That tells me nothing about the reason for DNF and as we know some cachers flag DNF's at the drop of a hat rather than following a sensible search of the correct area. I had no idea whether it was a quick look on passing, or a problem with the cache site, access issues or a 30 minutes figertip search of the whole double gate. Now I have had DNF's from two more experienced cachers with logs explaining the situation I have disabled the cache. If the original log had given some useful information I would immediately have disabled the cache and investigated.

I always think its a good idea telling the CO about ur experience...Lovely walk in a field i knew nothing about.....went long way around a mini pond! ect....there taking time out to put these caches down at least u can do is write a mini description about ur time finding it....also im picture mad me....every cache (more or less) i add a picture :P

I've never blanked logged myself, but there are times that I have found a cache and simply did not have anything to say. Especially when it has been the the last few caches I found that day and I've run out of things to say. The least I've said was TFTC. Is that truly any better then a blank log? Maybe a bit.

I think would be nice if Groundspeak had a way to mark a traditional cache as found without having it show up on the cache's log page.

I've never blanked logged myself, but there are times that I have found a cache and simply did not have anything to say. Especially when it has been the the last few caches I found that day and I've run out of things to say. The least I've said was TFTC. Is that truly any better then a blank log? Maybe a bit.

If there's nothing interesting to say about the cache e.g it's just another 35mm film pot hidden in the roots of a tree covered by a rock, I just put 'Straightforward find'

Some I am tempted to simply put 'OFTN', but I haven't resorted to that yet

I've never seen a blank log.

All the ones on gc.com seem to at least have a date of find and a user Id in them, so they are functional and not blank. Only a very petty cache owner would break the rules and delete a log because it's not very descriptive. OK, such logs aren't very exciting to read but they are meant to provide a record - that's all. Anything else is just a bonus.

When I'm looking at recent finds on a cache I'm considering, it's useful to see the date last found (or not found). I'd resent the cache owner depriving me of this information because of some self-styled cache-log quality policing.

In the end they aren't much different from cut & paste logs. Just had several this am which all said:

Found when on holiday in the area from norwich. TFTC

Apart the exciting knowledge that they were from Norwich, it doesn't say much more than " ".

Mostly I've given up caring, just delete the emails and move on. If it's blank, at least I don't have to spend a second or two reading the same C&P drivel again. If someone did that on a particular special cache, I'd delete it and email them. But if people can walk all the way to the top of Scafell and still write nothing, or just C&P their log, what hope for any other cache?

Rumour has it that some people actually walk all the way to the top of Scafell even though they aren't geocachers and that some of these delinquents don't even write a diary about their days excercise ;)

It's not all about the text!

these delinquents don't even write a diary about their days excercise

I've told you a thousand times not to exaggerate!

You constantly harp on about essays and diaries and long logs. No one but you is measuring the worth of a log by the length. With 3 words you can convey huge emotion +ive or -ive if you care to. Even one word can say a lot.

I'm convinced that probably the main reason geocaching has blossomed where Letterboxing is still a small minority hobby is the online sharing of experiences. It builds a sense of community, a shared adventure, it's a communication between cache setter and cache finder.

If no one wrote anything in their logs, so all you knew was the number of folk who had visited and when, but nothing more, how many caches do you think would get set? And no, it's not about 'demanding' being thanked, as you seem to present it. It is about giving some feedback and sharing something about your adventures, indirectly caused by the cache being set. Hopefully, some of the feedback may well include a 'Ta, enjoyed it', but if not the cache hider learns what folk like or dislike, thus caches improve.

So, does it matter if some strange individuals think it perfectly ok not to write anything? Not really, but if everyone thought like that the hobby would die. The loggers are also missing out on a great and fun aspect of the game.

If someone only wants to write 2 or 3 words in a log, that's fine by me. Just pick the words to say something. 25 cut & paste words over and over is even worse than a blank log.

Jolly good fun

A fine cache

Got muddy! :-)

Damp but ok

Wow, terrible spot

Glad to leave

Easy find, onwards

Up down got it!

Next! Noooooo!

See how easy it is! :P

I think letterboxing has had more uk players than geocaching... But it had a head start. Its problem isn't the online bit, it's the localisation... And that's no bad thing. Look for letterboxes near Manchester... Maybe 100... Caches, thousands. On Dartmoor, letterboxes outnumber caches many times over.

One of my worries with caching right now is caused by its popularity... The new footpaths to nowhere that are appearing. I like the New Forest rule about numbers being limited and older caches being removed. If any of my hides gets a cache trail I'd archive it. The 3 I have are unlikely to suffer though.

As for logs... Well, I sometimes read them as they come in... But basically all I'm bothered by is DNFs... as that means there may be a problem. If one of mine gets good/bad feedback in a log, does it mean the next person along will feel the same?

these delinquents don't even write a diary about their days excercise

I've told you a thousand times not to exaggerate!

You constantly harp on about essays and diaries and long logs. No one but you is measuring the worth of a log by the length. With 3 words you can convey huge emotion +ive or -ive if you care to. Even one word can say a lot.

I'm convinced that probably the main reason geocaching has blossomed where Letterboxing is still a small minority hobby is the online sharing of experiences. It builds a sense of community, a shared adventure, it's a communication between cache setter and cache finder.

If no one wrote anything in their logs, so all you knew was the number of folk who had visited and when, but nothing more, how many caches do you think would get set? And no, it's not about 'demanding' being thanked, as you seem to present it. It is about giving some feedback and sharing something about your adventures, indirectly caused by the cache being set. Hopefully, some of the feedback may well include a 'Ta, enjoyed it', but if not the cache hider learns what folk like or dislike, thus caches improve.

So, does it matter if some strange individuals think it perfectly ok not to write anything? Not really, but if everyone thought like that the hobby would die. The loggers are also missing out on a great and fun aspect of the game.

If someone only wants to write 2 or 3 words in a log, that's fine by me. Just pick the words to say something. 25 cut & paste words over and over is even worse than a blank log.

Jolly good fun

A fine cache

Got muddy! :-)

Damp but ok

Wow, terrible spot

Glad to leave

Easy find, onwards

Up down got it!

Next! Noooooo!

See how easy it is! :P

A standing ovation from Thehoomer for this. As I have said before, can someone please explain to me what is wrong with accepting, enjoying and even anticipating a great log for a great cache? I find it rather baffling that getting satisfaction from praise is considered shameful by some? I am aware that there will inevitably be cachers who dont read or arent particularly concerned what the logs say but I will stick my neck out and guess that most cachers look forward to reading the incoming and why shouldnt they? I will stick it out even further and echo Martlakes by saying, if everyone just logged with an empty space, the game would be very different indeed and it is questionable that Thehoomer would have remained involved. For us at least, reading what others have said about all caches(not just ours), is a fundamental part of the game. All this said, I do accept that for varying reasons, a blank log is all some people will write but I firmly believe that logging your thoughts and opinions is at least a starting point for an improvement in hides. Just a point of interest.... How many of us have been in the field, unable to find a cache and have looked back on past logs for a clue as to where the cache might be? If we all logged blankly, this would no longer be an option.

But basically all I'm bothered by is DNFs... as that means there may be a problem.

Unfortunately blank DNFs come through as well.

I think would be nice if Groundspeak had a way to mark a traditional cache as found without having it show up on the cache's log page.

Owners need to know how many finds are on a log book so they can judge when it is getting full.

Edited by perth pathfinders

But basically all I'm bothered by is DNFs... as that means there may be a problem.

Unfortunately blank DNFs come through as well.

A DNF is a DNF... It doesn't matter how long someone looked for, what the weather was like, how tired they were, who they were with, where they'd been last/were going next. Its that they didn't find it. People don't find caches all the time. I see a DNF and it's blank... And that's one not found... If I'm walking that way I'll check it. A second DNF in a row, and I'll go if I'm passing. 3 and I'll go when I can... 4 and I'll plan to get there in a coue of days.

Of course, if a cacher of great experience DNFs my cache that could to me be like a double/triple DNF... As if consider it more suspect than 2/3 logs from new players. The experienced cachers out there don't need to put anything in the DNF for my money, unless the cache wasn't looked for, say because of syringes/rubbish dumpled etc.

I like getting feedback... I like getting DNFs. I like reading the logs... If I have time. Sometimes i don't so I delete the mail. So the blank ones don't bother me... Just the incorrect ones... Like the found log saying "like previous visitors I can't find it either"

A DNF is a DNF... It doesn't matter how long someone looked for, what the weather was like, how tired they were, who they were with, where they'd been last/were going next. Its that they didn't find it.

But:

"Couldn't find it because there was a family sat on the fallen tree having a picnic" probably doesn't require any action on your part.

&

"Looked under the fallen tree and saw where it was supposed to be but it's gone", may well mean it's gone if that's where it's hidden.

&

"looked behind the footpath sign and couldn'd see it", might mean you need to consider adding a hint if it's actually hidden under a log.

and if the DNF is just blank how are you supposed to judge whether the DNF really indicates a possible problem with the cache?

A DNF is a DNF... It doesn't matter how long someone looked for, what the weather was like, how tired they were, who they were with, where they'd been last/were going next. Its that they didn't find it.

But:

"Couldn't find it because there was a family sat on the fallen tree having a picnic" probably doesn't require any action on your part.

&

"Looked under the fallen tree and saw where it was supposed to be but it's gone", may well mean it's gone if that's where it's hidden.

&

"looked behind the footpath sign and couldn'd see it", might mean you need to consider adding a hint if it's actually hidden under a log.

and if the DNF is just blank how are you supposed to judge whether the DNF really indicates a possible problem with the cache?

Simple... DNF #1 means very little

DNF #2 means I start to get interested

DNF #3 gets my attention.

Chances of 3 in a row having issues such as a family sat on it are slim. "Saw where it was supposed to be" well maybe they THINK that but the don't KNOW that... last one unlikely with my hides :)

Now... not being argumentative here... but none of the scenarios you post here would concern me at all, all 3 one after another means I'd go and check it as muggles close to it, and not found when someone was close, and maybe co-ordinates need checking... but as I said 3 consecutive blank DNFs mean I will check the cache when I can.

I was thinking that the blank log I would have an issue with is the NM... which have happened. Yeah, I can check the cache, and as I know exactly where it is there's no search. If the blank NM was supposed to refer to dangerous objects in the grass 6 feet away, I may not notice that... so in that case a blank NM would be an issue. Blank DNFs (or filled in ones) on their own don't create any concern.

Put it this way,

I am out to find a cache in a forest.......

Look at the cache page, hmmm 4 DNF logs, all blank? Do I waste my time? I don't think so!

OR ..........

Look at the cache page, hmmm 4 DNF logs,

first DNF says - snow too deep, couldn't attempt

second DNF says - logging in forest, track closed

third DNF says - my GPS is useless under trees

fourth DNF says - had to give up as ran out of time

which one would you go for?

A standing ovation from Thehoomer for this. As I have said before, can someone please explain to me what is wrong with accepting, enjoying and even anticipating a great log for a great cache? I find it rather baffling that getting satisfaction from praise is considered shameful by some? I am aware that there will inevitably be cachers who dont read or arent particularly concerned what the logs say but I will stick my neck out and guess that most cachers look forward to reading the incoming and why shouldnt they? I will stick it out even further and echo Martlakes by saying, if everyone just logged with an empty space, the game would be very different indeed and it is questionable that Thehoomer would have remained involved. For us at least, reading what others have said about all caches(not just ours), is a fundamental part of the game. All this said, I do accept that for varying reasons, a blank log is all some people will write but I firmly believe that logging your thoughts and opinions is at least a starting point for an improvement in hides. Just a point of interest.... How many of us have been in the field, unable to find a cache and have looked back on past logs for a clue as to where the cache might be? If we all logged blankly, this would no longer be an option.

Has anyone said there is anything wrong with it? I have attempted to highlight the fact that we're all different and blank logs are one symptom of those differences. All that I would ask is that the fans of "good logging" don't attempt force others to be like them. Why should we expect everyone else to be just like us?

There's nothing wrong with accepting or enjoying good logs or gaining pleasure from praise but personally I don't intend to waste my life anticipating praise. These things are better when they come from the heart and there is no coercion involved. The flip side is that good logs are worth more and appreciated more if you have the option of leaving a blank log IMO. In many years as a Scout Leader I always valued a single sincere thank you from a little tearaway far more than the dutiful offerings issued by rote every single week because it's the right thing to do.

I certainly wouldn't dream of contacting someone who left a blank log that would seem like fishing for complements.

We're all different, I like to offer thanks and praise when it's deserved but if the best thing about a cache is the walk then whyt should be coerced into in to commenting or thank to CO? The walk was there before the cache, it will always be there and it has nothing to do with the cache. If a cache was truly awful I'd see a blank log as a better option than a negative one, why pick holes if someone has made the effort?

Blank logs are not a problem the person who only ever leaves blank logs may be considered a problem but I doubt I'd even notice if someone was a persistant blank logger.

Put it this way,

I am out to find a cache in a forest.......

Look at the cache page, hmmm 4 DNF logs, all blank? Do I waste my time? I don't think so!

OR ..........

Look at the cache page, hmmm 4 DNF logs,

first DNF says - snow too deep, couldn't attempt

second DNF says - logging in forest, track closed

third DNF says - my GPS is useless under trees

fourth DNF says - had to give up as ran out of time

which one would you go for?

Ahh... with those 4 I wouldn't go... so 4 blanks would be worse for me... not thought of the woods issue as so far I haven't placed one there. As stated 4 blanks would make me go visit, which is no bad thing. Luckily 4 blanks would be very very rare, as would 4 DNF in a row at all. The expert/determined finders seem to always find in the middle of a 4! Also it seems people stop searching for them a lot if they have more than two DNFs in the logs, so often it seems a cache needs a "reboot" by an owner log.

Has anyone said there is anything wrong with it? I have attempted to highlight the fact that we're all different and blank logs are one symptom of those differences. All that I would ask is that the fans of "good logging" don't attempt force others to be like them. Why should we expect everyone else to be just like us?

There's nothing wrong with accepting or enjoying good logs or gaining pleasure from praise but personally I don't intend to waste my life anticipating praise. These things are better when they come from the heart and there is no coercion involved. The flip side is that good logs are worth more and appreciated more if you have the option of leaving a blank log IMO. In many years as a Scout Leader I always valued a single sincere thank you from a little tearaway far more than the dutiful offerings issued by rote every single week because it's the right thing to do.

I certainly wouldn't dream of contacting someone who left a blank log that would seem like fishing for complements.

We're all different, I like to offer thanks and praise when it's deserved but if the best thing about a cache is the walk then whyt should be coerced into in to commenting or thank to CO? The walk was there before the cache, it will always be there and it has nothing to do with the cache. If a cache was truly awful I'd see a blank log as a better option than a negative one, why pick holes if someone has made the effort?

Blank logs are not a problem the person who only ever leaves blank logs may be considered a problem but I doubt I'd even notice if someone was a persistant blank logger.

Yes indeed. As I've said I really don't mind them... and I think I know why they've come about.

I think for a blank NM I'd send an email to the person in question, just incase it's not the actual cache that's the problem, and not an easy one to spot on a visit, as described above.

It's a diverse game now, with diverse people, no longer a geeks game with money to spend... not all people are comfortable posting words online.

Edited by NattyBooshka

I agree with a lot of what you say.

However, if you read between the lines on this and the other very similar thread, it has been intimated by a few people that gleaning pleasure from logs is somehow a sin and one log in particular mentioned the word, vanity'. I say, 'so what'? When someone buys you a present or does a good job for you in the workplace, do you just shrug your shoulders and walk away? I know I don't. For me, finding a cache is almost akin to the CO giving something to me and I will acknowledge that, good or bad. I suppose it all boils down to being courteous to the CO for taking the trouble to give the seeker some gratis entertainment. May be I have read it all wrong and should just read the lines instead of between them? :lol: I do have to disagree on a couple of points you made though...

You say that the walk would still be there if it weren't for the cache? Yes, this is true but would you have gone on that walk without the lure of that cache? A lot of caches are set purely for the walk to the cache. The other point I would like to pick up on is, I personally, don't think you are 'picking holes' when you log a cache as needing improvement. How on earth is the CO ever going to learn what makes a good cache without feedback? A perfect example of this occurrence is our log for GC2K1X6 on May 28th (sorry, I'm a technophobe and cant do the posh linky stuff!). We reported that this cache could be improved if moved and had some email contact with the CO. After a few more visits from other cachers expressing the same concerns, the CO moved the cache and thanked us for bringing it to their attention. They then went one step further and invited us for coffee when we are next in the area. This isn't the first time this has happened and I don't think any of them would responded in this way if they considered us to be 'picking holes'.

As for deleting logs, I would never do this. As I said before, I fully accept that some people do not like to write anything in their logs and as far as I am concerned, a find is a find. I just don't think that blank logging is helpful to the future of the game.

I fully respect you views, I just don't share them :mellow::D.

Edited for silly spelling.

Edited by thehoomer

It's a diverse game now, with diverse people, no longer a geeks game with money to spend... not all people are comfortable posting words online.

But are no doubt enthusiastic and expert at texting :laughing:

Yes... but none of us can read it... anyone sends me a text speak message and it just get deleted!

Edited by NattyBooshka