anybody doing the magellan cache thing?

TNRonin

I am kinda watching it but after reading some of their clues and reading about the hides, I doubt if anything comes close to where I am at.

But I have wondered why these guys are jumping onto the geocaching bandwagon, yet they still refuse to change any icons, upgrade programs - or delay them - or upgrade their maps and mapping software for the older units.

They are trying to sell newer units I understand, but why would I buy something new from them if the service for the older units was and is so bad?

To me, it follows that once they have a bad service in place, they tend to keep it. They just upgrade the equipment and price to get that bad service. It would seem to me that if they want to sell a lot of newer units, they would bend over backwards helping the people with older units.

logscaler

Mopar may have a point (can't believe I just wrote that...)

I thought your question was directed toward ths Auction thingy.

Distracting.

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

quote:
Originally posted by TNRonin:

Anything else you want to tell me to do while you are giving out the commands?

http://www.tnrdgrnr.com/mapedition

http://www.tnrdgrnr.com/maxpedition/images/animatedbanner.gif

Not a command, more of a friendly suggestion.

You will notice you don't see any other banner ads on the site. They don't allow them on cache pages, they won't even approve a cache they think has commercial intent, and every user that has ever tried to use the forums for advertising has been swiftly banned.

Do what you want.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The banner ad is gone. It's still there on the earlier postings, but it's gone from the later ones. Thanks!

Back to the topic at hand - the Magellan caches.

This seems very much like the APE caches of a few years ago. I don't like the idea of racing to a cache to be a first finder, but I did my best on the APE cache and on the Magellan one. I was sixth finder to the Atlanta APE one and first finder to the Atlanta Magellan one.

There are supposed to be 32 caches in 25 states, so most folks should have a fair shot at it if you don't mind staying up late. Hopefully it'll turn out to be worth it.

~erik~

Thanks for dropping it.

Nothing against you or anything like that. It was just very annoying sitting there flashing in and out.

31 caches in 25 states? Well I guess that covers half the states. But you would think they would want to get at least one in Alaska, just for the location and potential of a higher percentage of people using or needing a gpsr.

logscaler.

Even though I just bought a new Magellan Meridian, I don't think the contest is very fair to the majority of the people who have to work every day and have to sleep at night BECAUSE they work everyday. With the clues and coordinates apparently showing up in the middle of the night or during normal work hours, the only people that have any opportunity to chase one of them down, either doesn't work or is retired (nothing wrong with being retired!) What I'm getting at is that even if one of them showed up in my own back yard, if the coordinates are posted during the day on a week day or in the middle of the night, for that matter, I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being first! Get it??

Chicago coordinates were put up around 6:00 p.m. I live about 25 miles as the crow flies from where the cache was, but the crow didn't have a 5 mile traffic jam or an actual 35 mile drive to get there. I made it in 38 minutes ( 30 minutes after LL found it) after I saw the Coords and was the fourth person there and the fifth to sign the log.(Stopped to talk with a fellow cacher 50 yards from it.) It's a matter of luck! The guy who found it was from Indianapolis. If he had chosen another area to wait for the coords, he might have been second.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I just not sure which side of the line I'm on!