Private Logging

Is it possible to log a find and have it only visible to people on your friends list? And/or keep my log archive private?

Nothing says you have to log your find online. There are allot of cachers out there that don't log online at all.

Yup.

However, if you choose to post it here - it is public.

....and I hope and pray that never changes!!!

Is it possible to log a find and have it only visible to people on your friends list? And/or keep my log archive private?

It's listed as "Under Review" in the feedback forums. Over 600 votes. Go here to add your vote:

http://feedback.geoc...frien?ref=title

Of all the cachers I have met, I would not have guessed JeeperMTJ to be the guy who asked for that. Martin's a very sociable guy, enjoys events, and travels all over the place such that I don't know how you'd be able to determine any pattern whatsoever from his movements. Interesting.

It's listed as "Under Review" in the feedback forums. Over 600 votes. Go here to add your vote:

WOW, I guess the internet's not for everybody.

By this comment are you suggestioning that everything on the Internet should be public knowledge? We all have the right to use the Internet, including Geocaching.com and we also have the right to our privacy. If you choose to make your info public is up to you.

Personally I'd like to have the "Option" to choose who sees my logs and who doesn't. I'm new to GC'ing and know several veterans to the sport. I personally know someone who had all their caches stolen by who we believe had a personal vendetta against them. It was his and only his that went missing, over 30 of them, all with in a weeks time. You get the point.

Anyways I'd like the option, you can choose not to use it, it's your right!!

Edited by Bellamiara

By this comment are you suggestioning that everything on the Internet should be public knowledge? We all have the right to use the Internet, including Geocaching.com and we also have the right to our privacy. If you choose to make your info public is up to you.

Personally I'd like to have the "Option" to choose who sees my logs and who doesn't. I'm new to GC'ing and know several veterans to the sport. I personally know someone who had all their caches stole by who we believe had a personal vendetta against them. It was his and only his that went missing, over 30 of them, all with in a weeks time. You get the point.

Anyways I'd like the option, you can choose not to use it, your right!!

Assuming that such an option was implemented (and personally, I hope it never is), how would this work regarding the owner of a cache you logged? As a cache owner, I would certainly want to have access to every log for each of my caches, if only for maintenance purposes.

I have a strong feeling that, as a cache owner, if cachers were given the option of hiding their logs from everyone but their friends, I would archive all my caches and find another hobby.

--Larry

600 votes. That's surprising. I think the concept of shared experiences is one of the things that makes geocaching more than a sport, but a community. I cant count the times I met a geocacher and our conversation started with "I saw your log on ...."

By this comment are you suggestioning that everything on the Internet to be public knowledge? We all have the right to use the Internet, including Geocaching.com and we also have the right to our privacy. If you choose to make your info public is up to you.

Personally I'd like to have the "Option" to choose who sees my logs and who doesn't. I'm new to GC'ing and know several veterans to the sport. I personally know someone who had all their caches stole by who we believe had a personal vendetta against them. It was his and only his that went missing, over 30 of them, all with in a weeks time. You get the point.

Anyways I'd like the option, you can choose not to use it, your right!!

So I must be missing something here. Not only do you want your logs private but you also want your cache listings private? Now that is a concept.

For private logs simply don't log your finds but keep track of them in word, excel or some other PC based program. Problem solved. Oh, you want me to know you found more than me? Well, just post your found number in your profile and let us guess which ones you found and let me believe your telling the truth.

For the private cache listings, just email your friends and who ever else you want to find them the coordinates. Problem solved. Of course you won't have many finds.

For the life of me I simply can not understand why someone would want to log a find but yet not have any one know about. What do you expect to show up on the web site? Bellamiara claims to have found caches but will not tell you which ones? If you want it all private and no one can see, just don't log and don't whine about having private logs. Here's a thought, if this feature is implemented and I can get a list of those opting out what is to prevent me from looking at the paper logs, seeing your name and then proudly proclaiming in my log you found the cache? You just got outed. Now not only do you have to keep your finds on GC.com private, but you can no longer sign the paper log in the cache for fear someone will mention you found that cache.

And what about the cache owner? Trust me, if you log any of my caches and click the private log button I will, without hesitation, delete your private log and your smiley. And if GC.com comes back on me I will state since I can not see the content of the log I will consider it profane and family unfriendly and therefore is being deleted under my rights to cache maintenance.

And what about the Lackeys? They can read the log. Heck, they can even read deleted logs. Sorry, there is no privacy on the internet. Someone, somewhere knows exactly what you are doing and when you are doing it. Even carrier pigeons post a threat when it comes to hiding privacy.

Edited by jholly

600 votes. That's surprising. I think the concept of shared experiences is one of the things that makes geocaching more than a sport, but a community. I cant count the times I met a geocacher and our conversation started with "I saw your log on ...."

I would have to agree. The thing we love most about this game is the friendly sense of community. The small town feel of a global game.

We would also end up not participating anymore if this were to end.

And what about the cache owner? Trust me, if you log any of my caches and click the private log button I will, without hesitation, delete your private log and your smiley. And if GC.com comes back on me I will state since I can not see the content of the log I will consider it profane and family unfriendly and therefore is being deleted under my rights to cache maintenance.

+1

+2 if I could get away with voting more than once.

--Larry

What a terrible idea. Cache logs give out a wealth of information. They let future seekers know about possible issues with the cache. Perhaps the cache was relocated because of a wasp's nest but the owner hasn't done anything about updating the listing. Maybe the cache just relocated over time and the recent logs had updated coordinates. There could be any number of things in those logs that are useful to seekers. Could you imagine if everyone made their logs private and the "most recent" logs are from a year or more ago?

Geocaching is not supposed to be elitist, and that's what this smells like. "You aren't my friend, so you can't see if I found these caches." It's bad enough that there are Premium Member only caches, but at least non-PMs can use a work-around to log them. Blank logs have already been allowed to "help" the smartphone cachers be anti-social, but to have invisible logs unless you're on someone's friends list? Ridiculous.

As somebody who is super paranoid about online privacy, this site doesnt bother me at all. There is nothing in my profile linking me to my real name. There is no way for people to figure out my home location.

I see no good reason to allow private logs. If you want your logs to be private, then don't post them online.

The feedback item being voted on is about restricting access to the detailed list of caches found when someone goes to look at your profile.

NO MENTION IS MADE ABOUT INDIVIDUAL LOGS.

The OP wants the logs to be private.

Edit: Of course a PQ search on cacher name will give a list finds by that cacher. So it is available on the profile and via a PQ search.

Edited by jholly

The feedback item being voted on is about restricting access to the detailed list of caches found when someone goes to look at your profile.

The OP wants the logs to be private.

Edit: Of course a PQ search on cacher name will give a list finds by that cacher. So it is available on the profile and via a PQ search.

That may be true but the item being voted on is this.

Pls respect privacy on gc.com and let the user decide who can see the list detailed list of geocache finds. I am not talking the stats overview.

I don't see anything in there that could remotely be considered keeping individual logs private. Do you?

What is really interesting is that a number of the negative comments on it seem to come from people who have read this thread but not the wording of the issue being balloted. Sort of like real world politics.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Nothing says you have to log your find online. There are allot of cachers out there that don't log online at all.

And there's a lot of cachers out there who log finds they don't find. (sorry to bring that up again.....)

You can't do PQs based on usernames. Or cache names. Or any names for that matter.

Personally I'd like to have the "Option" to choose who sees my logs and who doesn't. I'm new to GC'ing and know several veterans to the sport. I personally know someone who had all their caches stolen by who we believe had a personal vendetta against them. It was his and only his that went missing, over 30 of them, all with in a weeks time. You get the point.

I suspect that a number of years ago when Jeremy was setting up Geocaching.com, the idea that logs posted on cache pages for everyone to see was not considered to be much of a privacy issue. After all you could choose whatever player name you liked and most any other personal information you gave (email address, real name, home location) could be hidden from the general public. On top of this you didn't need to say much in the logs (TFTC is enough) and you didn't even have to log online if you were that concerned.

So what has changed? Well for one, the number of social networking sites on the internet has mushroomed. Some of these site made some poor decisions in how they shared information that members posted. In reaction, the sites adopted policies that allow users some control over what is shared and with whom. I think we are seeing users now who think these "privacy" controls are a given right.

It isn't clear that you need this kind of control for cache logs. Simply not posting anything that you might later be ashamed of goes a long way to not needing a control to hide your logs. However there have been a few arguments for hiding logs that go beyond this and perhaps they should be addressed.

Some people have managed to piss off some other cacher and we get reports that someone is using the logs to stalk them. I think that a better fix would be an option to prevent individuals from contacting you via geocaching.com. Either allow each memeber to has a blacklist of users that they don't want to get email from or allow them to block all mail except for what is coming from specific users who are white listed. But what about people who use the cache page for stalking. Cache owners should be deleting off-topic and inappropriate logs. And if this is not your cache you can report such posts to Groundspeak. Typically members who continue to harass other members are banned.

Agreed, I don't get the desire to track your stats via online logs, yet deny other members of the community the opportunity to enjoy them. But I've always thought the Friends feature was pretty weak. Perhaps it is being considered as an extreme measure to bolster that feature?

And if we didn't have this forum to discuss important matters, I never would have been able to greet you properly the first time we met in that bar. Shame you had the cast on, it really affected your balance and dancing ability.

It's pretty easy to indicate why cache owners should see all the logs on their caches and even to make an argument for any cacher to see all the logs (except for those that are bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate) on a particular cache. What is a little harder is to explain why you should see all the caches someone has found when you look at their profile or if you query all caches found by this player. One good argument is that this is a way to find players who are posting bogus logs. If I see a suspicious log, I will look at the other caches that person has logged and look for a pattern that helps me decide if this is legitimate or not. I will also admit that I have looked at caches to see where a person lives. At best you can only get an idea of what city, and right now don't know why someone might consider this private.

And there's a lot of cachers out there who log finds they don't find. (sorry to bring that up again.....)

For the reason I just brought up, this statement isn't entirely off-topic. However, I disagree that it is a lot (it is certainly fewer than those who find caches and don't log them online). If you can query the logs by cachers whom you suspect of logging caches they didn't find, you can spot those who are doing it. Those few who do find some reason to sit at home and log bogus finds are going to be found out because someone will look at their profile and notice the pattern.

I personally know someone who had all their caches stolen by who we believe had a personal vendetta against them. It was his and only his that went missing, over 30 of them, all with in a weeks time.

I am a bit confused about this.

I think you proposing to give users the option to not show the complete list of their geocaches on their profile. This way, if someone decides to go destroy all your caches, they would not have a list of targets from your profile.

But your caches are still there on the map, and if someone really wanted to, they would be able to go through everything on the map and eventually they could find all of your caches. It would just take longer that way.

Similarly, you also want the option to hide your list of found geocaches -- but not actually hide the log entry. So someone could look at all the caches in your town, and look at the full log, and eventually they would find out which caches you logged.

Do I have it right?

I waited before posting on this thread - I didn't want to just have a knee-jerk reaction and post it.

Now that I've paused and reflected, I still believe that this is a bad idea. It fundamentally starts to unravel what is great about geocaching. Geocaching is a community sport. Groundspeak doesn't plant the 1.3m caches, the community does. Groundspeak doesn't log all of the entries against caches, the community does. Groundspeak does an admirable job of advertisement, etc. but being honest here Groundspeak doesn't grow the user base, the community does. You get my point (there are a lot more examples).

If we take this great community sport (held together by Groundspeak - not trying to belittle their involvement) and give the ability to fragment it, create cliques, etc. all we do is risk unravelling the sport altogether.

If you want a private set of caches and logs do so with some external mechanism. Either build a website or as others have said, keep a spreadsheet or other form of list and share that with your friends.

I would likely join the list of COs (yes, I have very few...) who would start to delete private logs. I create caches for the community to enjoy. As others have mentioned, logs often contain valuable information both for me and for the community.

I support PMOs and admit that they have been controversial; I think having more granular and user-controlled divisiveness is a bad thing.

My 2 cents...

Edited by Redfist

You can't do PQs based on usernames. Or cache names. Or any names for that matter.

Interesting. Yeah, I guess it is not a PQ, but from the seek and hide page I can get a list of caches found or hidden by a user.

Edited by jholly

I suspect that a number of years ago when Jeremy was setting up Geocaching.com, the idea that logs posted on cache pages for everyone to see was not considered to be much of a privacy issue. After all you could choose whatever player name you liked and most any other personal information you gave (email address, real name, home location) could be hidden from the general public. On top of this you didn't need to say much in the logs (TFTC is enough) and you didn't even have to log online if you were that concerned.

So what has changed? Well for one, the number of social networking sites on the internet has mushroomed. Some of these site made some poor decisions in how they shared information that members posted. In reaction, the sites adopted policies that allow users some control over what is shared and with whom. I think we are seeing users now who think these "privacy" controls are a given right.

It isn't clear that you need this kind of control for cache logs. Simply not posting anything that you might later be ashamed of goes a long way to not needing a control to hide your logs. However there have been a few arguments for hiding logs that go beyond this and perhaps they should be addressed.

Some people have managed to piss off some other cacher and we get reports that someone is using the logs to stalk them. I think that a better fix would be an option to prevent individuals from contacting you via geocaching.com. Either allow each memeber to has a blacklist of users that they don't want to get email from or allow them to block all mail except for what is coming from specific users who are white listed. But what about people who use the cache page for stalking. Cache owners should be deleting off-topic and inappropriate logs. And if this is not your cache you can report such posts to Groundspeak. Typically members who continue to harass other members are banned.

I agree with Mr. T!! Nice post. And yes, I read it all. :lol:

This is not shocking, or unheard of in the world of finding Tupperware Containers in the woods. You've been able to make private your list of finds on the Letterboxing Website Atlasquest.com from day one in 2005 (don't quote me on that, it may possibly have come later, but I'm pretty sure it was always there). It will give the date you found it, but the username is "undisclosed".

Yes, I know Letterboxing has always been more under the radar and "private" than Geocaching, but still, +1 to what Mr. T said about how all they social networking sites have implemented privacy controls that weren't there originally.

Would you care to speculate what the highlighted items are used for then?

For doing a search for caches. Gets you to the same place as when you go through the profile. It's not a PQ.

Edit: guess you've figured it out.

Edited by dfx

By this comment are you suggestioning that everything on the Internet should be public knowledge? We all have the right to use the Internet, including Geocaching.com and we also have the right to our privacy.

You can consume the Internet all you want, but if you want privacy you shouldn't post anything on it.

Anything that goes online will eventually end up in the public, it's just a matter of time. Sites get hacked, passwords get compromised, things get misconfigured. If you really want it private the Internet is not the place for it.

My 2 cents.

I personally think that the social/community aspect of geocaching is one of the things that got me interested. I also enjoy reading the logs on caches I have found to see if there are any interesting stories. I definitely wouldn't ever use a privacy setting to hide my logs. That being said I am not opposed to the idea. I keep my facebook set to friends only on everything so I do use a similar feature on another service. To each their own I guess.

I agree with Mr. T!! Nice post. And yes, I read it all. :lol:

This is not shocking, or unheard of in the world of finding Tupperware Containers in the woods. You've been able to make private your list of finds on the Letterboxing Website Atlasquest.com from day one in 2005 (don't quote me on that, it may possibly have come later, but I'm pretty sure it was always there). It will give the date you found it, but the username is "undisclosed".

Yes, I know Letterboxing has always been more under the radar and "private" than Geocaching, but still, +1 to what Mr. T said about how all they social networking sites have implemented privacy controls that weren't there originally.

Correct about AQ. My finds are set to public but I respect the rights of others not to provide me with their personal information. You have the option to set the finds from your profile to private - the number is listed but is not clickable and, separately, you can set your logs so that your name reads 'undisclosed' except to the owner of the letterbox. .

Can someone explain to me why they need to know that Ambient_Skater was in Terra Nova Rural Park in British Columbia on August 5th 2007? Or that on April 28th Redfist cached in White Park in Concord, New Hampshire? It's nice if they want to share that information, but why do people feel it is their right to know?

Edited by Lone R

I suppose the next extension of private logs is that you don't have to sign the logbooks so no one will know you found the cache. So let's see, no signature in the log book, no log online, only a number. Wait, probably want the number private also so nobody can figure out your caching. Oh, yeah, and private cache listings so no one knows you own a cache. Does that cover it? You get to geocache but you won't be able to find any caches to log because everyone has private listings, but that is okay because no one will know your logging anyway because you have no logs or find counts. What's the point of geocaching at that point?

Can someone explain to me why they need to know that Ambient_Skater was in Terra Nova Rural Park in British Columbia on August 5th 2007? Or that on April 28th Redfist cached in White Park in Concord, New Hampshire? It's nice if they want to share that information, but why do people feel it is their right to know?

what i would like to know is why those that want their logs "hidden" think that anyone cares where they were, unless the whole "privacy" thing is just an excuse for them to cover up for their whereabouts...i.e. called in sick to go caching etc...

i am willing to bet that nobody sits at home looking at other people's profiles to see where they cached

what i would like to know is why those that want their logs "hidden" think that anyone cares where they were, unless the whole "privacy" thing is just an excuse for them to cover up for their whereabouts...i.e. called in sick to go caching etc...

i am willing to bet that nobody sits at home looking at other people's profiles to see where they cached

Here's a comment in the feedback topic that provides one reason:

on_the_move

YES!!! my EX-WIFE used YOUR site to track my movements and used them against me in court. every site on the web has privacy settings but yours. why???

on_the_move

YES!!! my EX-WIFE used YOUR site to track my movements and used them against me in court. every site on the web has privacy settings but yours. why???

"Every site on the web has privacy setting but yours. why???" Reason enough for me. :D I mean I'm really shocked by some of the "it's the internet, deal with it" type replies. Would some of you look a 25 yr. old female cyberstalking victim, who just obtained a mentally unstable kook cyberstalker in May, 2011, in the eye and tell her "hey, you should have never started posting things to the internet in 2002 that show up on Google 9 years before the kook came along?"

They've already hidden the cache ID of your closest and furthest finds from home in your statistics tab private, and even give you the option of hiding your statistics from other players completely. I'm of the opinion they are seriously looking at this. The millions of Facebook users who wanted to make their wall viewable only to friends couldn't possibly be wrong, correct? :P

on_the_move

There are a couple ways of dealing with this that is available today.

1. change your user name. You can do it yourself, you lose no finds and you don't need to go through GS to do it. Do it every month if need be. Do it weekly. Oh, don't forget to change the placed by on your owned caches. All of your logs change to your new name.

2. clean up the profile to provide minimal information.

3. don't log in real time with your smartphone. Delay your logging by a couple weeks. The value of tracking becomes quite a bit less as the time delay lengthens.

4. Don't post on the forums.

5. Don't use 4 square on FB to announce to the world where you are.

I would like to hear how an ex used geocaching information against this person in court. Hmmmm, running around the town of his girlfriend when he said he was across the country on a business trip. got it. dummy.

There are plenty of ways you can remain fairly anonymous today on geocaching.com. Use them and keep you mouth shut.

Edited by jholly

on_the_move

1. change your user name. You can do it yourself, you lose no finds and you don't need to go through GS to do it. Do it every month if need be. Do it weekly. Oh, don't forget to change the placed by on your owned caches. All of your logs change to your new name.

3. don't log in real time with your smartphone. Delay your logging by a couple weeks. The value of tracking becomes quite a bit less as the time delay lengthens.

I would like to hear how an ex used geocaching information against this person in court. Hmmmm, running around the town of his girlfriend when he said he was across the country on a business trip. got it. dummy.

There are plenty of ways you can remain fairly anonymous today on geocaching.com. Use them and keep you mouth shut.

How about lieing in your logs. Instead of, "cheating on my wife with a girlfriend, lied about a buisness trip and we found this cache." how about, "Finding the perfect gift for my wonderful wife, she doesn't know I took this week off to spend time looking for this gift, I lied to her, but she will be pleasently surprised."

on_the_move

Here is what Elias from Groundspeak says they are considering implementing. And excuse my post to the feedback forum, I said it was OpinioNate, but it was actually Elias

The feature we're contemplating mirrors what DocW said. We're only considering hiding the contents of the user's profile page, but not the underlying data. So if a user hides their profile content from display, you won't be able to use their profile to find out what caches they've logged. But, if you happen to be looking at a cache they logged, their log will still be displayed for that cache. So all of the user's logging activity will still be public, it just won't be summarized on their profile page.

Why would you be so adamantly against this? Even to the point where you're basically accusing the poor fellow above of running around on his wife? :blink: Sorry, but I just don't understand arguing against a website implementing privacy settings. What would be the harm to anyone if what Elias states above is being "contemplated" was implemented?

I think I am pretty much with jholly here.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

The Geocaching sit has ALWAYS been about sharing your experiences with other Geocachers, but you want to pick-and-choose who you share with?

1. NEVER log your finds online. (hurry up and delete the ones you have...QUICK, before someone sees!!!!)

2. NEVER post any pictures of yourself. (you have none, so you're on the right track)

3. Send emails to all your friends when you find a cache, and hope that email never falls into the wrong hands.

4. Maybe it would be better to call them, use your cell phone in case someone has a wiretap on your home phone. OOPS, they probably have a cell signal snooper listening in near your house as well.

Seriously, if someone is going to stalk you, they are going to stalk you.

Making it more difficult and challenging will probably only increase their pleasure.

How's the weather in Petaluma today?

Here is what Elias from Groundspeak says they are considering implementing. And excuse my post to the feedback forum, I said it was OpinioNate, but it was actually Elias

The feature we're contemplating mirrors what DocW said. We're only considering hiding the contents of the user's profile page, but not the underlying data. So if a user hides their profile content from display, you won't be able to use their profile to find out what caches they've logged. But, if you happen to be looking at a cache they logged, their log will still be displayed for that cache. So all of the user's logging activity will still be public, it just won't be summarized on their profile page.

Excellent. Groundspeak understands. I really don't see how this particular feature will be a detriment at all.

If I want to stalk them, all I have to do is find their log in the nearest cache search.

I could create my own database of where they were and on what date.

I could map it all out and probably narrow-down their home location to a city block or less without leaving home.

I repeat, if you don't want it known where you have been, don't log your finds.

P.S. Don't move trackables either...

on_the_move

allow me to call that BS....use it in court? for what? for going geocaching? :laughing: ...unless, as i said before they were supposed to be doing something else at that time and lied about it

on_the_move

Why would you be so adamantly against this? Even to the point where you're basically accusing the poor fellow above of running around on his wife? :blink: Sorry, but I just don't understand arguing against a website implementing privacy settings. What would be the harm to anyone if what Elias states above is being "contemplated" was implemented?

I can only imagine boatloads of bugs and problems this will introduce. We still have not recovered from the disaster on May 4th. But I guess we will have to suffer through two or three months of tweaking and putzing until they get it all worked out with that change. But I still wonder what would be gained that is not already available. If you have a very minimal profile page, keep quiet regarding the connection between your geocaching handle and your real name very little is going to be gained. Can you tell me who pecan pie is? Even if this person logged caches can your figure out who they are? I can't. I was not able to make connections to local cachers unless I met them at an event or one of my friends who met them at an event told me. I don't know, I think some folks are overly paranoid.

Looking at pecan pies profile I see...

has been a member for a while.

recently logged in.

uses the web site email.

Not much to go on there. Throw in a few caches and I still don't know much. This person could be driving 20-30 miles from home to go caching. I suppose TPTB will eventually cave into the whiners that are worried the black SUV's are going to show up at there doors, but I guess that is life.

Edited by jholly

Because it's somewhat pointless to do it that way.