Random Geocoin Discovery Logs...

Gustav129

I've been getting random Discover logs for one of my Geocoins, which is in a box in the closet with most of my other geocaching items. I activate my coins and bring them to events for people to discover, but they stay in my personal collection. Lately, I've been getting random "Discover" log entries, all of them from profiles in central Europe. Anyways, I haven't been a real active geocacher in the past year or so, so the coins have been in the closet for a long time.

The log I got today:

"During making a mistake with one number while discovering another bug, i found this one! [8D] Greetings from Luxembourg."

It almost sounds like somebody has a computer program, or some sort of random number generator to come up with tracking codes. But I'm only getting the logs on one coin. I jsut delete the logs.

My concern is I don't really want the coin to be deactivated for "digital finds", I forgot what they are called, when somebody has a picture of the coin showing the tracking number. Anyways, I have no pictures of the coin, so I have no idea where people are getting the tracking number.

Has anybody else come across this before?

I would get in touch with Groundspeak and talk to them about this.

A few days ago I came across a website where someone had photographed all their activated geocoins and posted pictures of them, tracking number and all. The head of the page talked about if you've found your way here then you must have met us at an event and seen our coins and to feel free to log them. Each photo was hotlinked to that coins page on geocaching.com!

The log I got today:

"During making a mistake with one number while discovering another bug, i found this one! [8D] Greetings from Luxembourg."

This sounds like a genuine mistake, and they have miss-keyed while logging another trackable...

However, some do pass around a list of trackable numbers for others to log. If you suspect this you are better to delete the log -or email/contact the logger and ask where they saw the trackable, if they can't give a good answer, then delete the log.

Groundspeak won't lock your trackable if you take reasonable care to prevent armchair logging.

I had that happen to one of my coins! This person inadvertently entered my coin's tracking no. so he just decided to "Virtually" discover it! I deleted his log! He then logged it again and asked me why I did not allow him to virtually discover my coin! I explained that Virtual Discovery is against Groundspeak policy! He argued that he had never seen such a rule! So I turned the whole matter over to Eartha! She set him straight! :)

Delete all bogus logs. Virtual logging is frowned upon. If done deliberately, it can get a trackable page locked.

one of my coins has been discovered virtually and i don't remember how to delete the log. and i don't seem to see an option to do so on the coin page.

thanks,

lara

On your geocoin page, click Visit Log on the log you want to delete. Then you'll see a red trash can. Click on that and "Are you sure you want to delete this log entry?" will pop up with Cancel or Yes. Click Yes and the log will be deleted.

Just now I deleted a bogus log from cacher Foolie on a geocoin that I have sitting here at home.

Delete all bogus logs. Virtual logging is frowned upon. If done deliberately, it can get a trackable page locked.

one of my coins has been discovered virtually and i don't remember how to delete the log. and i don't seem to see an option to do so on the coin page.

thanks,

lara

On your geocoin page, click Visit Log on the log you want to delete. Then you'll see a red trash can. Click on that and "Are you sure you want to delete this log entry?" will pop up with Cancel or Yes. Click Yes and the log will be deleted.

Just now I deleted a bogus log from cacher Foolie on a geocoin that I have sitting here at home.

no .... nope, i don't see a red trash can ....

thanks,

lara

no .... nope, i don't see a red trash can ....

Just looked up one of mine ...

22003bab-592d-411a-a012-ca55a9f2fb3e.jpg

this certainly punishes the owner of the coin...how is the virtual logger being punished?

ILYK

I think what Eartha is saying applies if the TO intentionally put the trackable out for virtual discoveries and provided the info needed to do that.

How prevalent is virtual logging that the loggers need a method or application of punishment ??

Same problem here, I bought a Joecacher's Many Moods coin last year. Seems the seller has a picture of my coin on his FB page. Since I don't have FB, I was wondering where the virtual logs came from. One of the loggers told me the pic was on FB. So I mailed the seller and asked him to remove the pic or at least the trackingcode. He never answered me, but still people are logging :angry: :angry: :angry:

You have to be in the account that owns the coin to delete the logs.

Hope this helps,

--Q

Agreed -- RedShoesGirl geocoin ownership list does not show "The Caching Bug Geocoin". A search of that name shows also that RedShoesGirl doesn't own one.

AH HA! i have a separate account for a coin bank - didn't notice that was the account that is listed as the owner of the coin in question. when i logged in as the coin bank cache i was able to delete the bogus log. thanks!

Well, frankly, I'm confused about Groundspeak's position on this. At the West Bend Cache Ba$h (Mega) there was an associated trackable event. Folks were encouraged to include their own trackable numbers in their "will attend" log so everyone could discover them. And all trackables dropped off were recorded in a list that was sent out after the event to all attendees. I didn't participate in that aspect of it though I was glad they were offering an event focused on trackables.

I recently noticed a thread in the TB forum where owners of trackables that were dropped there were complaining about all the logs they got, suspecting many were virtual.

I'm glad none of mine were there.

So, it appears Groundspeak is deliberately looking the other way.

Groundspeak would have to hire a team to monitor the 4 million plus trackables that exist today... I don't see this happening. Not sure how many (if any) trackables get "locked" because of virtual discoveries, but I do know there are a couple groups and many individuals on social media that share their trackables and encourage everyone to discover them.

Yes, its discouraged, but nothing in place to stop it from happening

Although one of my trackables is for "Discovery," the only way to get the code is to find it... http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5094204

Good luck since it tends to move, and I never anounce where I will be at and when... So I am not expecting a lot of logs. Same with my waling stick, at least not yet. And as soon as I finish my proxies, my "coins" will be heading out.

How prevalent is virtual logging that the loggers need a method or application of punishment ??

It appears that someone provided the websites and instructions to churn through codes and autolog them on a Belgian caching forum. I have started to get discoveries already. The first cacher just posted a note and had emailed me that he heard about it and wanted to see how easy it was to accomplish, but others have been logging my coin. :mad: One or two logs from time to time I can police and delete, but if an entire country of cachers have easy access to a whole lot of coin codes, that is worrisome to me!

this just happened to me yesterday. I was adding pictures of my coins which the file name had been the tracking number and I had accidentally forgot to add a caption. well when you do this, the captions become the file names. I started getting discovers right away. not knowing how people were getting my tracking numbers, it took a second to realize what I had done and to fix it. did I delete the virtual log? no. I really couldn't care less over a couple logs.

I have one trackable that is attached to a car door. I thought it was a neat idea when the original owner asked me to add to it. however this thing only travels to megas. I get hundreds of emails telling me someone has discovered it every year and they mostly come in over a single day or two.

now if I had a trackable that the code was on facebook, yes I can see and understand the annoyance of your mail getting bogged. but all I did was make an email filter so I don't get any notifications for that particular travelbug.

as for virtual logs I don't see any problem in it whatsoever. if people want to increase their icon collection who am I to say this is not the way to play this hobby? especially when it's usually my mix up that causes the virtual logs. I say let it be and if the emails are to much just filter it so it's out of sight out of mind.

[snipped]

as for virtual logs I don't see any problem in it whatsoever. if people want to increase their icon collection who am I to say this is not the way to play this hobby? especially when it's usually my mix up that causes the virtual logs. I say let it be and if the emails are to much just filter it so it's out of sight out of mind.

It is probably not an issue of intense magnitude, but 'someone' has to pay for the resources involved in virtual logging.

Maybe Groundspeak could pass that cost on to you since you see no problem with virtual logging and simply block what you are creating anyway ...

Just sayin' .... :blink: ... 'someone' is paying for it even though YOU are not.