Coin Spotlight Mission

sheltiedogshowlover

After taking part in my first mission, and organizing several Dog themed international Secret Santa and Christmas in July projects elsewhere I've decided to try my hand at organizing my first mission here!

I've decided to keep this one pretty simple while making the geocoin the star of the show! You sign up for the mission, get the name of the person who you will be sending the mission to, then pick a coin that you will base your mission around. The coin itself will be the center of the theme for this mission. Be creative! It can be based on the actual theme of the coin, the colors, the shape etc. But the mission should show that the coin was truly the inspiration for the rest of the mission.

For example.. I get my person and one of the coins they want is the suncatcher cinema boxers coin. I have one so I decide to build this mission around that coin. I might build the mission around suncatcher's, or sun's, or dogs, or movies.. Just be creative, and make the coin the STAR!

If you decide to join:

1. Send me your snail mail address plus your real and caching name to my profile e-mail address. Please also send a link to your coin want list/themes of coins you collect list if you have one, or include the list in the e-mail.

2. This mission will include at least two trackables. 1 unactivated coin and the other can be any trackable that you want, micros, cachekinz, dogtag with something attached or a full sized trackable coin. BUT it MUST have been activated by you and dipped in a cache near you. You choose the mission of the traveling coin/trackable- preferable with a mission related to the "star geocoin's" theme even if the trackable isn't! Use your imagination!

3. Post here in the forums:

Email sent:

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

and any wishes or themes you would like to receive.

4. Will take names till June 24 and have names out to everyone by the end of June.

Looking forward to some fun, creative missions!

**Edited to add that this will be an international optional mission. Please also indicate in your e-mail if you are willing to do international missions or only in your own country. Thanks***

Edited by sheltiedogshowlover

I like the sound of this mission, and am happy to participate! I'll post my status here first and send the email to our mission host with the most, sheltiedogshowlover, shortly.

Email sent: Today, 8 June 2011

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

I have a trading/seeking list attached to one of my activated coins...see my signature for the link to this list! Otherwise, I am not picky. I appreciate creativity and thought, and would be happy to receive a mission with both of these in spades.

This will be my first mission, so wish me luck! I assume it's ok for UK people to join?

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

I don't have a wish list, I prefer surprises. Geekiness is good, so coins with moving parts, or just something very shiny to appeal to my ADHD would be appreciated :) I'm thinking of doing something locality based.

So, a couple of questions, what do I need to know about putting a mission together? Do they have a typical value of stuff in them?

Edited by lifechooser

What is a "mission?'

A mission is a fun exchange between a group of fellow coin collectors. You get a name of someone and someone gets your name.

You then pick out a coin or coins that you think they might like and in this case purchase/make/find items that fit the theme of that coin to package with it and send to the other person. Someone else does the same thing for you and you get a package in the mail as well. It's very much like a secret santa exchange only with geocoins, and any time of the year!

Other missions have different themes. There's one going on where you got sent a box and could fill it with any thing (call the kitchen sink mission). There's been pet missions (you had to send pet related items with your coin/s). There's been KISS missions (a coin and a nice card.. keep it simple)

Hope that helps!

This will be my first mission, so wish me luck! I assume it's ok for UK people to join?

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

I don't have a wish list, I prefer surprises. Geekiness is good, so coins with moving parts, or just something very shiny to appeal to my ADHD would be appreciated :) I'm thinking of doing something locality based.

So, a couple of questions, what do I need to know about putting a mission together? Do they have a typical value of stuff in them?

Creativity is more important then monetary value in this mission. The only rule is that one coin should be unactivated and the mission should be based around that particular coin. Find/Buy/Make things that fit with the theme of that coin. (remember to include one activated trackable in addition to the "STAR" coin as well)

You may include more then one coin that is unactivated if you wish, but it is not required. Often people do include more then the required coins in missions but if the mission is cohesive, creative and thoughtful then the one coin and one trackable that is activated is just fine!

A good rule of thumb in my opinion when your done picking out items is to look at your mission before you send it and ask yourself if you'd be happy to get this package in the mail. B)

Also you can take a look at photo's in other missions to get an idea of what people send/spend.

We definitely want to join! After the You Decided Your Mission Mission, my husband is eager to participate! We love the idea and the amount of creativity that can be involved. We will both be doing our our missions; however, we use the same geocaching name. We each have our own separate seeking lists on our geocaching.com profile. I am working on improving Bernard's list with him! We both love SCUBA diving. Bernard is a professional photographer, so anything photography related works great for him. Anything with animals or the ocean is perfect for me, as you will see from my seeking list! We are both open to international mailing as well.

Sara

Email sent: 6/8/2011

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

Bernard

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

Thank you for putting this together sheltiedogshowlover!

Greetings - Do you have a timeline for this mission? My schedule is a little complicated at the moment and joining sort of depends on timeline... (And apologies if it is up there and I missed it...)

4. Will take names till June 24 and have names out to everyone by the end of June.

Sent you a PM as well. This is the thought process on the time line (posted above)

I'll be signing up, whenever I get to a computer haha

I emailed you, but i have no idea if it went through as geocaching.com isn't cooperating with my internet here. Let me know if you didn't get it :)

Mission #1

Email Sent: June 9, 2011

Name Received:

Mission Sent:

Mission Received:

Mission #2

Email Sent: June 9, 2011

Name Received:

Mission Sent:

Mission Received:

Edited to add, you can find my lists here

Edited by MoonCat & KDT

A couple people sent that they'd be happy with anything. So if you guys don't mind posting a little more about your personal interests. That way the person who gets you might be able to pick a coin that matches your interests outside of geocaching! Thanks! Let's keep 'em coming!

Ok, here goes:

The team luvbassn is me and my wife. We generally like the same things, except Elaine likes crafting.

We love photography, wildflowers, fishing, travel, computers.

My coin favorites are: navigation, Spinners, anything intricately designed and Mardi Gras masks. And please no food, I am a diabetic so I can't eat sugar.

Hmmm... A little about us...

Well, I'm Alicia (MoonCat) and Kyle is KDT. I'm trying (key word, trying) to keep my coin collection to only navigation coins, specifically compasses. That being said there are a few of my coins that do not match that but mean something to me on a different level.

We are engaged, getting married in September. The theme for the wedding, along with my favorite flower, is sunflowers.

I work in television making infomercials, and Kyle works for Toyota. Kyle loves his jeep and of course the Toronto Maple Leafs.

We are both big movie buffs and collect DVDs just like they're coins haha, and we really enjoy our time outside. We camp, hike, bike and all that fun stuff. :)

We definitely want to join! After the You Decided Your Mission Mission, my husband is eager to participate! We love the idea and the amount of creativity that can be involved. We will both be doing our our missions; however, we use the same geocaching name. We each have our own separate seeking lists on our geocaching.com profile. I am working on improving Bernard's list with him! We both love SCUBA diving. Bernard is a professional photographer, so anything photography related works great for him. Anything with animals or the ocean is perfect for me, as you will see from my seeking list! We are both open to international mailing as well.

Sara

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

Bernard

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

Thank you for putting this together sheltiedogshowlover!

Just adding some additional information that may help the people who receive our names. I (Sara) am a psychology instructor at a local college. We do enjoy receiving goodies in our packages, especially if it is a treat from your area or something you really enjoy. Our children consist of a 9 1/2 months old black lab and two cats. I think the previous information along with this info will definitely help our recipients!

I'm gonna do two missions.

Obviously I love dogs! and any coin that has anything to do with dogs.

outside of geocoins I have 3 shelties and an aussie... and honestly in addition to my aussie/sheltie/collie collectables I collect sheep things (since they're herding dogs.).. nightmare before christmas things (zero especially!)

Also I love Dr. who and KINDER EGGS (if you get me in the random draw and are from a country that has these wonderful things please send me at least one!! hehe)

A little about me... I love camping, traveling, anything outdoors, anything about history like the Civil War, Native Americans and of course geocaching but it seems like I never go during the summer months (don't know why). I love any geocoins that are beautiful, unique looking, decoders and spinners. From Dragons to Pirates to Aliens and from Butterflies to Wolves to Compass Rose. I also like to recieve things from the senders location. I've always be interested in things like the Eiffel Tower, The Sphinx, the Pyramids and anything Sci-Fi. I hope this helps my sender :D

mail sent: Monday 20th June

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

I have a huge collection; so please don't sweat over getting me anything I don't have;

I love all things natural, soft toys, wubber duckies, European buildings, and fun!

The recipient of my mission will be themed... (oops! that's the surprise)

I've got lots of ideas for this one.

Obviously international for me - that's my only option!

And great to see a mission that acknowledges trackables as travellers!

I'm in :):):) Thanks for this great mission!

Email sent: 06/21/2011

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

Wantlist: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1630082

In general I go more for roundish coins, for example filigree like Tengwar coins, geometrical like compass roses, coins with a special meaning like the Rivercacher coin (in the end all coins that came in a mission have a special meaning to me!) AND surprise coins :lol:

Been holding back, but can't leave it any longer. I know I'll regret it if I don't join in!

Email sent: 23/6/2011 (that's today...Thursday here) :ph34r:

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

And well I would like...

I don't get to travel as much as I'd like to, so..yummy treats from someone's locality, or things you love and have found from your region, or on your travels, anything that you treasure, really. I also love cats, horses, wild animals, and all kinds of natural/ outdoorsy stuff if that helps. I don't really collect anything I can think of, unless they have a practical use and I can, well, use them! :laughing: love cool traditional stuff that stands the test of time and finding out about something new too. Also, I love crafts and would appreciate something home made, if that's what you like to do (Currently I have hooked rugs, patchwork, pottery, mosaic and painting projects on the go.)

There's so many coins out there I love...anything intricate 'designer' type coins, I love hard enamels, natural themes (leaves, trees, rivers, the sea) spinners, codes, funny stuff. Size doesn't matter much to me! :laughing:

Count me in please

Email sent: 23 June 2011

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

I don't currently have a geocoin wishlist but I do love all of the geometric / mathematical / astronomical coins that are about. I also enjoy spinners and 'naked' coins (i.e. more metal, less enamel)

I enjoy geocaching (naturally) & the walking that goes with it. I like crafting and have turned my hand to quite a few different varieties - quilting, scrapbooking, crochet, cross stitch. I have a thing about stationary & have a growing piled of unused notebooks, pens & bottled fountain pen ink. I have 2 young boys which invariably means sharing... everything :lol:

Just one question. Will I be sending to the person who is sending to me? Not that it matters, just wanting a better understanding of how it works.

Thank you

Edited by enola05

Just a reminder that you have till midnight tonight to get me your info if your interested in joining this mission! Can't wait to see everyone's creativity.

In this particular mission you will not be sending to the person who gets you, unless I have two folks who only want to send to their own country and they are both from that country. I love the secret aspect of sending out missions/secret santa's!

Ok. Here's the list of folks that I have for this mission. I'll be sending out names shortly. If you don't see your name on this list send me a note ASAP.

Enola05

Sivota

Fianccetto

yanagi

fuzziebear3

Butterfly Lady

FLtravelers

team luvbassn (in for 2)

southern_angel

Fstop64 (in for 2)

lifechooser

Penny and Kona

sheltiedogshowlover (in for 2)

keewee

MoonCat & KDT (in for 2)

I see that you two posted but for some reason I don't have an e-mail from you with your info in my mission folder.

Shoot!! I missed the deadline :( I got too distracted with my Math Trade list that I forgot to sign-up yesterday. Oh well, I'll just have to stalk this thread to see what everyone comes-up with. It looks like this should be an interesting/fun one :)

If you're interested I still haven't sent out names because I'm waiting for Keewee's info to know if he's doing international shipping or not. Send me your info and I'll add you in. (include your shipping info, link to a want list (or themes you like), and if you'll do international or not)

P.s I don't remember if I mentioned I'm happy to do international shipping

There were a couple of folks that were the only ones from their countries that sent me requests.. but they also didn't state they wouldn't do international shipping.

MoonCat & KDT, Sivota, yanagi

MoonCat & KDT said they're fine with international, but If there is an issue with doing international shipping for either of you other two please let me know.

Email sent: 25 June

Name received:

Package sent:

Package received:

Right now I'm a mechanical designer for a company who retrofits/designs power plants. I'm a huge art and photography nerd that plans to go back to school to get my bachelors and masters in art. I love to travel and one of my goals is to visit as many National Parks as possible. I have a black/chocolate lab, Riley, who loves to go caching and climbing boulders in the backyard (he thinks he's part goat:). I love coins that are intricately detailed, National Parks, basically anything neat/pretty.