Eastern Iowa gems?

Sioneva

I'm tentatively planning a 4 day trip over the 4th of July weekend, to points east and northeast of the Amana Colonies... anyone willing to recommend some *don't miss this* type of caches out there? I probably won't be caching west of there, along the I-80 corridor, at all, except for a few to pick off counties I missed.

I'm tentatively planning a 4 day trip over the 4th of July weekend, to points east and northeast of the Amana Colonies... anyone willing to recommend some *don't miss this* type of caches out there? I probably won't be caching west of there, along the I-80 corridor, at all, except for a few to pick off counties I missed.

Oh, great and wonderous blue bow! We're planning a visit about the 6th of July. The EarthCache at Indian Mounds looks great, but I don't think we'll have the time for it. My cching partner is from Guttenberg, NJ, so w'll be visiting Guttenberg Ia to compare the two Guttenbergs. We want to drive down the Great River Road from Minn, to Davenport, and hope for the best. So, I'll be interest to hear what recommendations you receive.

Oh, great and wonderous blue bow! We're planning a visit about the 6th of July. The EarthCache at Indian Mounds looks great, but I don't think we'll have the time for it. My cching partner is from Guttenberg, NJ, so w'll be visiting Guttenberg Ia to compare the two Guttenbergs. We want to drive down the Great River Road from Minn, to Davenport, and hope for the best. So, I'll be interest to hear what recommendations you receive.

Why is it I always miss people by two days? :(

Why is it I always miss people by two days? :(

Northeast Iowa has a few great caches. Although not in Iowa, the "Lair" (GC5D2D) is a very popular cache in the area. It is just across the border in MN near the river. Decorah, Ia has several great earth caches as well...With all the bluffs in our area, I am sure you will find scenery no matter where you choose to cache!

Decorah Iowa area has some great ones particulary do the waterfall in town. The Lair is a good one and is near a few of my caches :laughing: In Guttenburg go north a bit out of town on X-56? and do the waterfall there also. Praire Du Chein has some nice ones in Wyalusing (spelling?). If I remember this thread later tonight I'll drop in ones up in this area that would be great caches. Depending on the timing I may be even able to meet up and say hello.

Ok, here we go: The Lair: http://coord.info/GC5D2D Big Spring Cache near Guttenburg: http://coord.info/GCJE26 Lansing Lookout: http://coord.info/GC21FA the next one is a bit of a hike for an Earthcache but a great area: http://coord.info/GC1C7AZ another earthcache at a waterfall with a traditional nearby: http://coord.info/GC1CEGC. There are a few more in the area that I'd recommend along with one of mine, but this should get you started. As for park and grabs, well tons of them in the area and I have some for you to avoid, but I won't list the hiders name to be nice.

My trip through Iowa: The real gem here was our trip down the Great River Road, from Winona, Minnesota to Dubuque, Iowa! WOW!!! Not a lot of time for long hikes. Sorry we missed Big Spring Cache. My favorites in that section of Iowa: Johannes Gutenberg Cache, Eagle's View, Edna Spies Reading Garden and the two EarthCaches: Nobel's Island Artesian Well and Blackhawk's Artesian Well. Not bad out of 11 caches found in Iowa.