Hosting Events while one Vacation.

I understand that a person shouldn't be placing physical caches a great distance from their home coordinates (can't effective maintain), but what about Events?

Is there a rule (written or unwritten) about how far away a person can host a caching Event from their home coordinates?

Thanks!! :D

I understand that a person shouldn't be placing physical caches a great distance from their home coordinates (can't effective maintain), but what about Events?

Is there a rule (written or unwritten) about how far away a person can host a caching Event from their home coordinates?

Thanks!! :D

I have always wanted to attend an event while on vacation, but never found one. Hosting one would insure that there is one to attend. Cool idea!

there is an event coming up in my area hosted by out of towners at a local pub. I don't see why not. Just post the co-ords of a meeting place, and see who shows up! I liked the pub idea, because even if nobody attends your event, you can still have a good time drinking by yourself in the corner lol

There was a group from New England who wanted to meet cachers out here in the Midwest while out on a caching trip. I helped them co-host an event out here, but they were the ones who submitted the listing to GC.com. Much fun was had by all!

I don't see anything wrong with it. Nope.

I have seen several such caches listed, so I assume that it is permissable. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do it, though.

Some people like to meet other cachers, I don't get it either.

Now that was funny. Actually, someone did this in my area, about 15 miles away, but I was out of town. I suppose I don't have a problem with it, but it would be awkward at first (at least for me it would). I also know of a cacher sort of near me (I've only met him once in person for about 5 minutes) that has done this probably a dozen times all over the world (he's a retired guy). So it is definitely permissible. I don't know, I'm pretty social, but you have to be kind of "super social" to want to do something like this. :D

How can finding an event be an issue? In my area we have an event at least once a week, sometimes 2-3 a week. All within 30 miles. If your not going to be in the area for a week, maybe you should see the sights of wherever you are in the world rather then talking when you can do that at an event back home?

How can finding an event be an issue? In my area we have an event at least once a week, sometimes 2-3 a week. All within 30 miles. If your not going to be in the area for a week, maybe you should see the sights of wherever you are in the world rather then talking when you can do that at an event back home?

Well, goody for you, to live in an area where there are so many events. Within 30 miles of my home, we may not have even one a year. Within 50 miles, yeah, there's one listed so far for June, and there were a few earlier this year--less than one a month.

There was a group from New England who wanted to meet cachers out here in the Midwest while out on a caching trip. I helped them co-host an event out here, but they were the ones who submitted the listing to GC.com. Much fun was had by all!

I don't see anything wrong with it. Nope.

That was us! We were caching through 5 states in the Midwest, and figured we should take some time to meet the locals ("What the Heck is a Quahog"). Caching is as much about the people as getting out and finding caches. As Sioneva mentioned, we all had a blast. In fact, one of u teamed up with a couple of the locals on a weekend cache run to the Route 66 Power Trail.

We got to meet some great people that we would not have met if we just stuck to the caching and our hotel rooms. Sure we can talk back home, but it's with the same people.

This way I got to bore a whole new set of people with my stories :).

(Edit to remove unnecessary brackets)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Well, goody for you, to live in an area where there are so many events. Within 30 miles of my home, we may not have even one a year. Within 50 miles, yeah, there's one listed so far for June, and there were a few earlier this year--less than one a month.

There wasn't an event my first spring/summer caching. It wasn't until someone on vacation and held an event that there was an event here and that was in November and 20 miles away. All like 5 of us active cachers went. I'm hosting an event this summer just so all like 5 of us can have some bonding time.

I notice there's a ton of events in the more populated area south of me. I'm kind of glad it's not like that here. Sometimes I read the event titles of the weekly or scheduled events in bigger areas and feel like they sound like 12 step meetings at times.

I have hosted events in Korea, Japan, Bahrain, England and Greece. The Bahrain event was 7383.6 miles from my home.

I like having events to meet other cachers and they usually point out the best caches in the area so I don't use my limited time to find LPC's

Tip: Look for old events to get coordinates for a suitable place to hold the event.

It can be an issue when you get away from the large metro areas. As you reach your goal of a cache in every state you'll see some of those areas.

Edited by edscott

There wasn't an event my first spring/summer caching. It wasn't until someone on vacation and held an event that there was an event here and that was in November and 20 miles away. All like 5 of us active cachers went. I'm hosting an event this summer just so all like 5 of us can have some bonding time.

I notice there's a ton of events in the more populated area south of me. I'm kind of glad it's not like that here. Sometimes I read the event titles of the weekly or scheduled events in bigger areas and feel like they sound like 12 step meetings at times.

Central Iowa east of me is plastered with events. Way too many events, IMHO, but I don't go to any of them, and my opinion doesn't count. If that's what they like, okay, let em. Cachers over here tend to go for recurring events, weekly or monthly breakfasts and stuff, that can only be logged once, but attended whenever you feel like dropping in.

Plus, there's a Chili Feed in February, a Cache and Splash in June, an annual Fall picnic in September, some kind of Halloween event, and a Holiday Pizza Party in December, every year. Spaced out enough that it's always fun, and it feels like a reunion instead of "oh, no, not these people again". :)

Some of our cachers hosted an event in Spokane, WA on our way to Geowoodstock 8. Worked out great as it let the locals (from our area) re-assemble our convoy after getting spread out while traveling/caching all day and we got to meet a bunch of the Spokane locals plus a metric whack of other cachers who were traveling the same route.

I guess the big thing is finding an appropriate place to do it and then it becomes a simple matter of booking it as needed. It can be a lot of fun.

2-3 events a week? very hard to believe, unless meeting up a fellow geocacher at the corner store counts as an event :anibad:

to the OP, i have seen many people organizing events while on vacation, there's no rule against it

Edited by t4e

I've hosted two different events in the BWCAW the last two consecutive years. Well over 275 miles from home. No problems. The only issue is, if you expect your local friends to attend, you had better advertise. Events greater than 250 miles from your home coordinates do not show up in the weekly email newsletter thingy unless it's a mega.

Some of our cachers hosted an event in Spokane, WA on our way to Geowoodstock 8. Worked out great as it let the locals (from our area) re-assemble our convoy after getting spread out while traveling/caching all day and we got to meet a bunch of the Spokane locals plus a metric whack of other cachers who were traveling the same route.

I guess the big thing is finding an appropriate place to do it and then it becomes a simple matter of booking it as needed. It can be a lot of fun.

Events are also quite thick in the Twin Cities. You can't hardly go a couple of ways without some kind of event taking place. Don't get me wrong.. I love having the option of attending events on a whim, especially with the kid schedule being an issue most of the time.