OK Now what?

Tee's on Tour

Hi all

We have just this week started Geocaching mainly down to the fact that I got a new phone with GPS !!!, It,s a Samsung Mini if that will help.We got out yesterday and found 6 caches (so that was pleasing) then we came across a Multi-cache with the co-ords for the next cache. This is where we came to a halt. I tried entering the co-ords into the "Sammy" but it came back with No caches found for these co-ords? I kinda know that the next cache in line would need to be Logged for this to show up on the live map, my question is How do I find the next set of co-ords on my phone? Do I need to be a premium member? or is my phone not equiped with the correct technology? I am using Cgeo by the way... Thanks in advance for any help...Pete

Welcome!

Your log for the multi shows you 'Found' it, yet the words suggest you didn't...

Can I suggest that if you didn't find it (and sign the log book) you edit the log to a 'Note'.

If you really get into caching, and want to do statistics those extra 'Found' logs, on a cache you didn't find, or even two 'Found' logs on the same cache can throw you some strange stats!

The app on your phone wont 'show next cache' on a multi, somehow you need to enter the coordinates you found in the first part into your phone, and then go to... I don't use that phone or app so can't help on that part. Sorry.

Hi all

We have just this week started Geocaching mainly down to the fact that I got a new phone with GPS !!!, It,s a Samsung Mini if that will help.We got out yesterday and found 6 caches (so that was pleasing) then we came across a Multi-cache with the co-ords for the next cache. This is where we came to a halt. I tried entering the co-ords into the "Sammy" but it came back with No caches found for these co-ords? I kinda know that the next cache in line would need to be Logged for this to show up on the live map, my question is How do I find the next set of co-ords on my phone? Do I need to be a premium member? or is my phone not equiped with the correct technology? I am using Cgeo by the way... Thanks in advance for any help...Pete

On some multi caches, there won't be a listing on here for the next leg. Part of the fun is plugging in the coordinates and finding it without a map. It's just another form of challenge. Keep going until you find the last one and sign the log! Don't look for the listing, just enter the coords and go for it.

Edited by Rckhnd

Think of a multi-cache not as multiple caches, but rather as a single cache with multiple stages. In the simplest case, the given coordinates will take you to a small container that tells you the coordinates of the next stage (seems to be what you've encountered). The first stage isn't really a cache in itself, it's just a stage leading you to the actual cache in the end. So, for the coordinates you got out of the stage, you won't find anything listed on the website or anywhere else, as it's all part of the same cache and people are supposed to be able to get there only by starting at the first stage and then finding each stage in turn until they finally get to the actual cache. Many times, only the coordinates of the first stage will be given on the website, and the coordinates of all other stages (including the final cache) will be hidden and secret and can only be determined by following the stages and the contained clues.

What this means is that you need to enter the coordinates manually and tell your phone to take you to them. There won't be anything listed anywhere for them, as the locations of the following stages and the final cache are secret and not published. Only once you've found the final cache (the one with the log book), you've found the actual cache.

Edited by dfx

Thanks for the comments guys, The problem is entering the co-ords on my phone I cant seem to log them in to point to the correct area , any ideas.

Best advice i can give is to buy yourself a good Hand Held GPSr.

But i'm sure that's not what your looking for. So let me ask you this; what app are you running? Is it the official Geocaching app?

If you are running the official app then i think your out of luck. I've yet to find any way to enter your own cords into the app. You may need to find a different app.

With the Trimble app you can "Enter Manually"(in the first menu after "find a cache") but you have to hover over the numbers with the "mouse" & change the option from "DD" to "DMM" because most coords come in "degrees & minutes" form..then you have to again "hover" over the numbers to change each one. I'm not sure if that's helpful because that might not even be how it's set up on your phone. Then again, it could be.

Also, I'm not great at explaining that part. It's kind of like the difference of knowing how to drive somewhere yet being unable to give someone directions there. I could show you, I'm bad at telling you. I hope I helped a little, though.

With the Android version of Groundspeak's Geocaching app, while viewing a cache listing, you can use:

Navigate to Geocache > Map > Menu > Add Waypoint

Navigate to Geocache > Compass > Menu > Destination > Add Waypoint...

you can do that with iphone geocache app as well ;-)

Thanks for the comments guys, The problem is entering the co-ords on my phone I cant seem to log them in to point to the correct area , any ideas.

Best advice i can give is to buy yourself a good Hand Held GPSr.

But i'm sure that's not what your looking for. So let me ask you this; what app are you running? Is it the official Geocaching app?

If you are running the official app then i think your out of luck. I've yet to find any way to enter your own cords into the app. You may need to find a different app.

i dont think thats all too helpful for a newbie to be told to go and buy a new device. :(

Others have mentioned but i would suggest that looking for an option to add a waypoint in would be best idea from me without know what app or your phone at all.

When you pull c:geo up on your android, click on the "search" icon. Then you can search by coordinates, address, or geocode. You manually put the coordinates in, and then go. You MUST use the format n xx xx.xxx w xxx xx.xxx, including the n and the w.

Edited by kwhart

With the Android version of Groundspeak's Geocaching app, while viewing a cache listing, you can use:

Navigate to Geocache > Map > Menu > Add Waypoint

Navigate to Geocache > Compass > Menu > Destination > Add Waypoint...

you can do that with iphone geocache app as well ;-)

There is also a free app called iGCT (Geocaching toolkit) which I use on iphone. Specially for multi-caches it can project new waypoints.

Hi and sorry for such a late reply.

Most folks (that post) here frown on the cgeo app because it bypasses the advertising revenue among other things.

The official Geocaching app or a GPS unit loaded for geocaching is of course reccomended.

That being said, try this:

On the opening screen, choose "Any Destination" and replace your current coords in the two boxes with the desired coords. Press Menu and choose either "Compass" or "Navigate". That should get you on the way to your next stop.

Hope this helps!