Garmin gpsmap 62s or 62st

Okay, I have decided on one or the other. (My Lowrance ExpeditionC - trusty companion for years - keeps losing me lately.)

Are their distinct advantages with loading my own maps onto a 62s, besides the obvious cost difference? Right now, I see the 62st on sale for a price only $30 more than the cheapest I've yet to find the 62s. Anything else significant besides the pre-loaded topo I'd be missing by going with the 62s?

I'll be adding the LakeMaster maps, too, on whatever I decide. Probably with the microSD card. Love it on the Lowrance unit.

The preloaded Topo 100k map is the only difference. I recently bought the 62st and in retrospect I should have gone with the 62s - the 100k map is not very good and I'll never use it. I've bought and loaded a 16GB uSD card with City Navigator and the local Topo 24K series in addition to loading free maps available from gpsfiledepot. I've also subscribed to and added BirdsEye satellite imagery. In the end, though, I am very happy with this unit (my fifth Garmin since 1997).

Dave

edit: I should note that I paid an $80 premiunm for the st over the s. If it were only $30 more I would probably go for it.

Edited by sparksd

Nope just the topo maps. If it is worth $30 to you (and I think it is) just go with the ST model. If you want to save money and install free maps from GPSFileDepot you can do that as well. For the $30 I would just bite the bullet and get the model with the topo maps pre loaded. It will save you the time and effort of needing to download and install the free maps manually.

Here is some cut and paste language I have:

I think there needs to be a FAQ on the difference between the T and regular models. People ask this all the time and usually get misleading advice. Certainly you can get free better topo maps on gpsfiledepot.com. However, the T models also come with 100K DEM (Digital Elevation Model) data which some features require. You can only get DEM data from a T model or Garmin 100K topo or Garmin's 24K topo (which have 24K DEM). Us map-makers have not been able to figure out how to make DEM data to load on your GPS, so you cannot get DEM data from gpsfiledepot.com.

While one may still decide the DEM data is not worth the extra money, it needs to be weighed in the decision. I thought it was worth the extra money when I bought my 550T.

DEM:

To show shaded relief, the GPS requires DEM data. If you have DEM data on your GPS, it will show shaded relief on any map (including the ones from gpsfiledepot.com). However, shaded relief makes the GPS significantly harder to read. However, sometimes it can be nice when looking at a map to see if the trail goes uphill or downhill. You can turn it on if you need it. Without it, usually you can tell which way is up, but sometimes you have to click on topo lines to figure it out.

The 3d viewer requires DEM data

With DEM data, the GPS will add elevation data to a track you load and follow on track manager. This allows you to view the elevation profile of your trip. However, I use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation to obtain the elevation profile as the DEM data there is more accurate than the built in 100K. But it is nice to have it just in case.

These are the two things I like (and use) the most:

With DEM data, the GPS will add elevation data to a car route. So you can see the elevation profile of the route you are driving.

With DEM data, you can click anywhere on the map and one of the pieces of information about the site that will be provided is the elevation. While it is based on 100K DEM, it is reasonablely accurate.

With DEM data, you can click anywhere on the map and one of the pieces of information about the site that will be provided is the elevation. While it is based on 100K DEM, it is reasonablely accurate.

Thank you Myotis for your very insightful post regarding the "T" models of Garmin handhelds. This is not to take away from that but to correct a possible typo or misunderstanding of your meaning on my part. The DEM data used in the preloaded Topo U.S. 2008 topo maps is 30 meter data. The newer Topo 24K offerings use the 10 meter dataset. This comment was simply for clarity.

I would like to add that the 10 meter dataset in many states is often resampled 30 meter data. The 30 meter data is generally pretty good as DEM's go.

Edited by yogazoo

Thanks, everyone.

I know that this is an oft-asked question in most gps circles, I just couldn't find it directly asked in these pages. It's my experience on other boards that a lot of eye rolling precedes answering these questions that pop up over and over, and I would agree that an FAQ on T-added models would be nice. Bear with me, please. As you can see, this is my first post here, but by the looks of it I'll be spending quite a few available (or not) hours here.

So, if I do go with the st and then d/l 24K topo maps, do I then turn off the built-in 100K topo, or maybe the 24K would automatically override it?? The comment you made, sparkd, makes me think this is so.

Just a tiny bit unfound, here. This is my first foray into Garmin (except my car's Nuvi, I suppose).

Thanks, everyone.

I know that this is an oft-asked question in most gps circles, I just couldn't find it directly asked in these pages. It's my experience on other boards that a lot of eye rolling precedes answering these questions that pop up over and over, and I would agree that an FAQ on T-added models would be nice. Bear with me, please. As you can see, this is my first post here, but by the looks of it I'll be spending quite a few available (or not) hours here.

So, if I do go with the st and then d/l 24K topo maps, do I then turn off the built-in 100K topo, or maybe the 24K would automatically override it?? The comment you made, sparkd, makes me think this is so.

Just a tiny bit unfound, here. This is my first foray into Garmin (except my car's Nuvi, I suppose).

Installing the 24k will not automatically override it. You can have both installed on the unit at once. You can go in the settings and turn on which maps you need.

Maps are displayed based on a draw order between 0 and 31. 31 draws last and is the transparnet overlay maps. While a map author could make a 24K map to have a lower draw order than the 100K maps, that is very unlikely. So a 24K map should cover up the 100K map. Likewise City Navigator (and Open Steet Maps) will cover everything except the transparent maps.

So you do not need to turn off the 100K maps. I turn them off to make sure they don't slow down map drawing. You do NOT have to have the 100K topos enabled for the GPS to use the DEM data. However, the built in topos also contians the basemap. So if you don't load anothet basemap, turning off the 100K topos also turns off the basemap and this could significnatly slow down map draw when you are zoomed out 20 or so miles. I found a basemap on Garmin's website that I use. I don't remember where it is. So I would keep the 100K topos enabled.

I don't know what the 100K .IMG file is named but there is a chance that if it's named "gmapsupp.img" that you could accidentally overwrite the 100K with the 24K. Be careful. If the file on the unit is named "gmapsupp.img" then you can rename it something like "100K Topo.img" and you'll be good to go.

NOTE: Any maps loaded with MapSource or Basecamp will be named "gmapsupp.img" and will overwrite any file that is already on the unit named "gmapsupp.img".

yogazoo, good point. However, I have never been able to find out for sure what the 100K and 24K DEM is based on. The only thing I have been able to figure out is the 24K DEM is much more accurate. It would be nice to know for sure but unless garmin tells us, I do not think we will be able to know for sure.

I don't know what the 100K .IMG file is named but there is a chance that if it's named "gmapsupp.img" that you could accidentally overwrite the 100K with the 24K. Be careful. If the file on the unit is named "gmapsupp.img" then you can rename it something like "100K Topo.img" and you'll be good to go.

NOTE: Any maps loaded with MapSource or Basecamp will be named "gmapsupp.img" and will overwrite any file that is already on the unit named "gmapsupp.img".

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!

The built in topo maps are called: gmapprom.img If you rename it something else, it causes problems with the built in base map.

I have a 62S, and I already had a copy of Topo U.S. 2008 before I bought it. I installed it on the 62S, and I *think* I end up with the same thing as a 62ST. The Topo U.S. maps don't use a key, so they can be installed on as many Garmin GPSs as you have. You can't do that with the topo map in the T model.

I have a 62S, and I already had a copy of Topo U.S. 2008 before I bought it. I installed it on the 62S, and I *think* I end up with the same thing as a 62ST. The Topo U.S. maps don't use a key, so they can be installed on as many Garmin GPSs as you have. You can't do that with the topo map in the T model.

I believe that DVD-based map supports routable roads, correct? The Topo US 100k preloaded on the 62st does not - a route between two points will be a straight line, not locked to roads. I needed to add either City Navigator or Topo 24k to get that capability.

Also, the 62st has a preloaded "Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR" which I assume also provides the DEM data but in what granularity I cannot say. Does the 62s come with this?

Dave

I believe that DVD-based map supports routable roads, correct?

No, I don't think it does. I had to buy City Navigator to get that feature. I have them both loaded on my 62S.

Also, the 62st has a preloaded "Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR" which I assume also provides the DEM data but in what granularity I cannot say. Does the 62s come with this?

Yes, and I think it has all of three or four roads in San Francisco. Pretty much just freeways, and they are drawn as straight lines. I could draw a better basemap in the dirt with a sharp stick. ;-)

(again, this is the stuff an FAQ on 'T' stuff is made of...)

So, if I get the 62st I'll I have topo (100K) that's not that great but it'll be for the entire US.

If I want better topo (24K), I have to buy it. Money I save by going with the 62s helps pay for it. It'll be better quality but just for a particular region.

Lots of other free stuff to download, but not the 24K topo.

Am I on the right track?

(again, this is the stuff an FAQ on 'T' stuff is made of...)

So, if I get the 62st I'll I have topo (100K) that's not that great but it'll be for the entire US.

If I want better topo (24K), I have to buy it. Money I save by going with the 62s helps pay for it. It'll be better quality but just for a particular region.

Am I on the right track?

Ya I think you got it, you have 3 choices. You can either go with the ST and pay $30 for Garmin 100k, save $30 and go with the S and the free 100k downloadable maps, or pay $99 to get the 24k maps for your region.

You can either go with the ST and pay $30 for Garmin 100k, save $30 and go with the S and the free 100k downloadable maps, or pay $99 to get the 24k maps for your region.

Everywhere I have seen there is a $100 difference between the 62S and 62ST, not $30. That's true at least at MSRP ($549.99 vs $449.99) and at REI ($499 vs $399). The difference is a little less at Amazon ($457.44 vs $385.99), but I haven't seen them thirty bucks apart anywhere.

However, if there is a place selling the ST for only $30 more than the S, I would likely buy the ST.

Edited by michaelnel

The topos at gpsfiledepot are 24k (depending on what factors are used to define 24k). As myotis mentioned, they do not have DEM data. I agree that if you can get the st for $30 more, it would be well worth it; I believe it also comes with 4Gb of build-in memory (3 to hold the 100k topo) versus 1Gb on the s unit.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!

The built in topo maps are called: gmapprom.img If you rename it something else, it causes problems with the built in base map.

I've done it without problem. I also rename my City Navigator gmapprom.img to CityNav.img on my nuvi. Maybe you've had a different experience.

yogazoo, good point. However, I have never been able to find out for sure what the 100K and 24K DEM is based on. The only thing I have been able to figure out is the 24K DEM is much more accurate. It would be nice to know for sure but unless garmin tells us, I do not think we will be able to know for sure.

I do know for sure, well 99.9% sure. The highest available resolution DEM's for Montana (USGS) are 30m and 10m. Matching up what is on the 100K and 24K Garmin DEM's with what I can see in ArcGIS I can see specific artifacts unique to each DEM. The highest resolution 10 meter DEM is the most detailed around and used in the Garmin 24K series. The 100K Garmin maps DEM isn't as detailed but not nearly as rough as the 90 meter (next highest resolution). It's a process of elimination.

Perhaps the 10meter isn't available for some states in which case they may use 30meter for the 24K series maps as well. But at least for Montana, and I would veture to guess the rest of the country 10meter DEM's are used.

If interested in seeing the DEM comparison I could post some screenshots. I think it would be good for people to see anyway so give me a day or so. It's pretty cool to see the raw DEM and then see the same exact thing on a Garmin screen.

Edited by yogazoo

Thanks again. Just to clarify, it's not like I saw them side by side from the same dealer with a difference of $30... Just that a recent sale advertised the ST at a price only $30 higher than the cheapest price I had seen to date for the S after a fairly exhaustive search.

Ooh. Gotta edit: the dealer I'm looking at has the ST on sale for the same amount that they are currently selling the S. (I'm sure they may someday have a super sale on the S, too, but I am in the market for a replacement gps this week.)

Edited by schweady