What was your first "Found" log?

They may not realize they will be concerned about it in the future. When I found cache #1, I had no idea I would ever find cache #2.

What were the contents of that first log? I bet you wrote more than ftf so you were covered anyway.

What was your first Found log? Here is mine

nice hike. my 3year old started whining though.

Hmmm... Not great, but better than "TFTC" or "" How does your first log stack up?

Our first ever cache find :-) Fitting it should be in Lake George, our favorite vacation destination. TFTC!
Found it 1 day after first hearing about Geocaching while camping in Lake George, using a borrowed Etrex from the campground and inputting coords manually for each cache.
Our first geocache! Thankyou to Tara and Allen for introducing us to this pasttime... our kids love it! We signed the log book, and our daughter left a teddy bear, took a pink frog pencil sharpener. Beautiful views here... TFTC!

I want to clarify that the friends who introduced us, who were also newbies at the time, told us to keep our logs as brief as possible, and that we should learn all of the acronyms and use them as much as possible! I actually thought it was BAD to write more, but I just couldn't help myself...

I am afraid it has only gotten worse with time, LOL! :laughing:

Edited to add the pretty little quote box that everybody else has. :anicute:

Edited by thecaswellfamily

My first "real" log was actually on my eighth find (a little over a month after my first find). Up until then, my husband and I had a joint account. I went back and basically cut and paste my previous logs when I got my own account, but years later I edited most of those.

"First" log:

This is my first logged visit under Ambrosia. I've been logging under all41, which is usually my husband and children, Bugaboo and Kboy. This cache I did technically by myself because all41 has already done it. But he was watching me, and Flyboy had given me a few hints. Oh,well, I would of had a hard time in the middle of the night with a flashlight. I took a cd and left a Our little friend.

My logs got longer and longer after that, peaking out in my best year, 2006, where some of them had to be divided into two logs because they were so long. After that, I got too sick to log or cache much, and I'm still catching up on all my logs for the past three years. All because I can't bring myself to post short logs. My recent logs seem very short to me, knowing what I used to do, but they're still more than TNLN.

Also, my daughter changed her name a little while after this, now it's Water Lily. Some of the older logs still list her as Bugaboo, a pet name from her Nana, Patudles. But there is another somewhat local cacher with the same name, and she also realized that she may not want that name when she grew up. Her current name is a play on her real name, like mine is. So is my son's, in a way, I suppose.

TheAlabamaRambler found [Traditional Cache] The Mountie Cache

Sunday, 17 August 2003 Alabama

The Mountie Cache was my first find, though it was a snap as I went to this school in the early seventies and my son goes to the new Shades Valley.

This spot was open back then already - great hide for newbies. Although I knew the roads I let my eTrex lead the way - took me right to it.

The cache has a hole in the bottom, so everything's somewhat wet - water standing in the container bottom and all zip-lock bags had been left open.

I dried everything as well as possible with paper towels, logged my visit, took nothing (although this cache is jammed full of goodies) and left a ceramic black bear from Tennessee.

Have fun.

Too funny - I had forgotten that my first find was waterlogged. It's still active today, 411 finds since 8/11/02

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
My first find! I took my friend Tanya with me, and found such a pretty park! We thought we might have seen a skunk scampering into the bush, but we came out unscathed. T coin L window cleaner cloth SL

And there's even a photo of me where the cache was hidden! T-shirt and shorts! Hardly ever wear that caching - now it's usually wide-brimmed hat (or ball cap plus mosquito netting), long-sleeved t-shirt, jeans tucked into socks, hiking boots, and suede gardening gloves. If I had kids they'd be mortified at how un-cool I look...

My first-ever cache! I've been crashing through these woods for years while doing orienteering, and always wondered what the tupperware containers that I was tripping over were for. icon_smile_big.gif

After circling around the cache and checking all the ludicrously impossible places where the cache might be (up trees, in the densest thickets, etc.), finally I resorted to the hint (hey, I'm a beginner!), and finally found it. Nicely stashed.

It's quite a challenge, BTW, to keep from flailing madly at the mosquitoes while people are so close by.

Took an Inukshuk pin, left a Peruvian dancers pin, poured out a bit of water and dried everything out as best I could before resealing it very carefully and restashing. I noticed it's easy to close the lid over a corner of a ziploc baggie or whatever; maybe that's how the water gets in. (Both the caches I visited tonight had a bit of water).

Thanks for the fine cache to get me started! I think I'm going to have fun with this sport.

That was 2005.

I'm just as wordy nowadays; I seem to be incapable of noticing a trend...

May 27, 2008 by lamoracke (5175 found)

first one we have found. Thanks Joe!

I obviously did not say much but then again, I was given a tour of my first cache from the owner and did not know much of what was going on in this hobby. I learned later to say more in my logs and eventually irk some folks who do not get sarcasm.

SkaterUncle introduced a group of us to geocaching today. This was our first cache, and I was the one who found it. Took a pencil, left a pewter pin. TFTC!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. That first cache is still the largest cache I've found.
icon_smile.gif December 26, 2003 by WRASTRO (3012 found)

GPS system was Christmas present and this was our first cache. Knew the park so finding it was easy. The contents of the container were damp, but we were able to sign log book. TNLN

Decided to add this one since our daughter is now 18 and graduates from high school next week. What a ride!

icon_smile.gif December 26, 2003 by WRASTRO (3012 found)

Walked the path and went a bit too far. Once the coordinates settled down we found the cache. Took a long orange stick which makes funny noises when turned upside down. The stick is providing infinite entertainment for our 10 year old daughter. Signed the log and left LOTR trading cards!

I know the area well. I maintain Terrace Pond North Trail (the blue trail), so it seemed like an easy beginning attempt. :) (And a big hug to all who had kind words to say about the trail maintenance.) I needed to take out six cherry trees that bears had knocked over onto the trail anyway.

The 'Go To' feature on my Garmin Etrex seemed to lead my astray, and I wandered a bit on the purple puddingstone ridges. So I switched to 'trails', and found it fairly quickly. I left a small dolphin, and took out two dead AA batteries. (Is that part of cache in, cache out?)

And, yes, this area is part of Wawayanda State Park. Swimming is strictly forbidden. Two people have drowned here in the last two years.

Hmmm... Rather wordy for me!

I was looking for a place to plant a letterbox... found the perfect spot... almost too perfect...

Found this geocache there.

Kept looking...

Which is why my second find was not until nearly four years later:

Took me two visits and a couple hints from this site... then again this is the first geocache I've found deliberately. (I found one once accidentally while looking for a place to plant a letterbox... found a perfect spot but it turned out to be occupied...)

I have used some acronyms at times, but to my knowledge never the acronym.

Sunday, December 21, 2003

Our first find on our first attempt.

Nice spot to hide a cache -- wish we would have remembered to bring our camera. We got to go to a place in our city we didn't even know existed even though we live pretty close to it.

TNLN -- just signed the log.

The wind was a little cold but the overall day was nice. We will return some other time just to finish the walk all the way to the dam.

Everything looks to be in good shape other than the camera and the information sheet' date=' which someone else noted below.[/quote']

I hadn't really looked at the online log since, although as we passed the area several years later I did stop to look at the original entry in the logbook, which is where I noticed the real difference -- I (OK, Mrs. DanOCan) had signed the log with our real names.

00ea4f22-00a1-441f-8848-f4da10c70f0c.jpg

Interesting to see that I had been on the site enough to know some of the acronyms already -- I think I had bought a GPSr and created my account a full week before we ever went hunting, so I had plenty of time to learn a few things before starting.

EDIT: Wanted to add -- this also shows how out of shape we were at the time. "We will return some other time just to finish the walk all the way to the dam." Haha! The cache was about 600m from the parking area and before we even left the car I was thinking "That's going to be over a 1km round trip...there is no way we're going to be able to do this. If all these caches involve this amount of walking we're never going to get into this hobby." :laughing:

Another thing I remember from that day -- it never occured to me to search for any other caches along the way. I would read the cache pages, find one that sounded interesting, punch the coordinates into the eTrex Legend manually and set out. The idea of doing more than one at a time never crossed my mind. :blink:

Edited by DanOCan

They may not realize they will be concerned about it in the future. When I found cache #1, I had no idea I would ever find cache #2.

Not me. I knew I was beginning a long term hobby. However, I never expected it to replace poker, sporting clays, watching racing all day on Sunday.

This is my cherry find. #1 and counting. Looked on 3/1 and totally missed it. Found it on my second trip of the day on 3/2 after going back home and reading lvis' log. 3rd time is a charm. I can't count the number of times I was mere inches from this cache and failed to see it. Took tape measure, but I really wanted that Frog beanie baby (missing from cache)for my sister. Left a Small Swiss Army (style) knife, golf ball, a pen (because Txsyank's had died) a home made travel bug, and my business card. I will be leaving several themed caches in and around this area soon. I just ordered 8 travel bugs as well. A very entertaining experience. I'm hooked!

Yeah I was hooked. I did cache maintenance on my first visit and true to form didn't read the instructions since I left a teeny tiny knife. Oh, and that affront to geocachers the world over, a dirty golf ball that I found while searching for the cache. :laughing:

Don't go lookin' in my profile for this log. I actually screwed up my first account, (I thought) and started this one. My actual first log makes no sense unless you were there at the time and I even misspeeled my own name.

Here is my actual first log on this profile:

Thanks again to Txsyank for a great hunt and my 1st find.

Had a bit of trouble with my new account. Snoogy Boogees is now the much more proper pronoun, Snoogans. Snooge to the Booge Geocachers. Thanks to Heidi @ Geocaching.com for help in clearing up my mistake. Snoogins

PS- If you have no idea what I'm talking about, Rent or buy An Evening With Kevin Smith

My second log: (Posted my first pic and encrypted a note which I think was the only time I ever did that. Usless feature for me. I was checking all the features out. Again with the golf ball I found along the way.) :laughing:

[My 2nd Cache Find. I did enough research to find a back door with ease. I was at the cache in less than 5 minutes. Took TB-Cutting Edge, & TX wooden Geo Coin. Left a large block of ASC post-it notes, a gold Shock Waves coin, and a golf ball. This cache is now full to the brim because of the block of post-its I left behind. I had to repack it twice when I discovered that I had not replaced the log. PS - The wooden Geo will reappear in a cache of my own design near Mammoth Lakes, California in the beautiful Sierras. Search Zip 93546. That's 1,500+ miles as the crow flies.] The white lid to this cache was visible from the trail, so I moved it just a couple of feet to a small hole and covered it with two pieces of dead wood. This area is so busy that I can foresee Gator Bait getting clipped by someone passing bye.]
gspotter found "Nambi Pambi" Munroe Falls Riverside Cache

Sunday, May 04, 2003 Ohio

N 41° 08.185 W 081° 25.335

this was my very first cache! wow was this ever a wonderfull experience. i started this cache from the oppisite side of the bike and hike trail, south-southeast of your stated entrace point. this was closer to where i live. i have riden this trail many times in the last ten years that iv'e lived here, so i knew that i could get there from there. i entered at N41 08.736 W081 23.418 the walk was great, longer about 1.78miles, not .95 miles like stated in the direstions. i saw many birds and a fish even jumped while i was a the cache. i took a dollar to WHERESGEORGE which i also play. i left a robot toy.

thank you for a wonderfull experience.

Amazing that this and one other of the first three caches I found that day are still out there! This one has 271 finds on it! I still post the coordinates of most of the caches I find. I used to even write them in the log.

edit: i can never spell coordinates!

Edited by gspotter
April 21, 2002 by Team GPSaxophone

Nice location!

I drove by it thinking it might be easier to hike up from the bottom. After realizing my error, I drove back to the top. My Etrex got me within a few feet before I turned around and saw it!

There are quite a few items in the cache. I traded happy-meal keychains and wrote a note in the log.

Thanks for the cache!

TFTC is there, way back in 2002, but it wasn't an acronym then.

Thanks for a first hunt! Very well placed. TNLN The property owner came out to see what I was doing and I explained the GeoCaching. The Cache is not on his property, just next to it. I found it in front of him and now he's considering joining up! - Said he understands now when people are parked there and walking around. icon_smile_approve.gif

I think there is a similar topic on first found log somewhere in the hunt and unusual. But regardless, I like the topic!

icon_smile_cool.gif

Right on!!! Very first cache for me and friend. Had a blast looking. Nice spot.

A cold wind had come up off the lakes, in the afternoon. Found it about 6:15 same day planted. Went to earlier coordinates that were posted.

Took wheresgeorge.com ring and left $1.25 for the future. I will check w.g. site. I have a few bills out there myself. Thanx

zoltig and chris

It was this cache

BTP II CACHE

Found April 27, 2002

Actually, since I was the one of the three of us to actually find the cache, I guess I deserve to log it as well (see previous entry by chadcari).

By the way, Chadcari (1 found), is the Chad that I know.

Chad's log for that day:

Found the Cache after about 15 minutes of looking. This was my first cache and close to work. A friend of mine who went along was the one to actually find the cache. Took a wooden geocaching coin and left an important Item used in my trade. TFTC

I knew nothing at all about caching until we started walking to the cache, and Chad filled me in.

"Our very first geocache. Thanks for number one." Not so sure that was the original. I edited it when we changed our name, I have a feeling I changed it and somewhat downplayed it or it was just shorter than I remember. I don't typically write any that short. That would probably be the shortest if it's real.

Edited by Pipeline Putters

Mine went a little something like this:

May 23, 2009 by Team Dennis

This was our first cache found. I think we're hooked. Nice part of town...I used to play in this ravine when I was a kid long before it was cleaned up and turned into a paved walking trail.

Looking back on it I'm not mortified like I thought I might be. I've re-read some of my early logs and some of them could have been written better.

Funny story about our first cache: Knowschad DNF'd it twice! And we walked right up to it for the quick find.

Mine went a little something like this:

May 23, 2009 by Team Dennis

This was our first cache found. I think we're hooked. Nice part of town...I used to play in this ravine when I was a kid long before it was cleaned up and turned into a paved walking trail.

Looking back on it I'm not mortified like I thought I might be. I've re-read some of my early logs and some of them could have been written better.

Funny story about our first cache: Knowschad DNF'd it twice! And we walked right up to it for the quick find.

In all fairness to me... the 2nd time, it was missing and was archived shortly afterward. I remember that cache.

My very first log was a DNF:

A nice Christmas day hike to try out my nice new Christmas GPS. I'm sure I was in the right general vicinity, but I couldn't find it. I guess I should have tried an easier one for my first attempt.

If anyone who has found this has any hints, I'd like to give it another try. (I should have printed out the picture as someone else suggested.)

My first "Found" log has been lost forever. The cache was called "Big Root Cache" and it's archived. The link in my list of found caches goes here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f6e76787-0272-4964-b8a1-1c61a8caf6bf

My third log, second "Found" log, and the oldest Found log of mine that can still be retrieved:

This was so much fun! I'm visiting relatives in Jackson and drove out to find this on New Year's Eve. The location is just amazing and I would never have seen it if it weren't for this cache being there, so thanks! This beats the heck out of spending the day at the in-laws house.

Purchased my first GPS unit. A Garmin Legend and tried it out. My daughter and I found the cache in short order. Left some acorns and a penlight. Took the military patch and a WHEREISGEORGE bill. Note the container was cracked on one side. I putit back,cracked side down.

My daughter was 11 at the time and insisted on leaving the acorns.

Edited by briansnat

Midnight, my black Lab, and I had no trouble finding this cache. It was right where your cordinates said it would be. Took the plastic egg with the fake spider inside and left a large paper clip and a milk bone for the next dog .

Sure glad it wasn't a TFTC log! :laughing: This cache was hid 3/8/02 and we found it on 4/20/02 and were number 13 out of 643 logs. :)

Edited by captnemo

mikemtn found [Traditional Cache] Burgess Falls Cache #1

Monday, 03 September 2001 Tennessee

My first cache find. Had given up and went back to the parking lot and somebody told me they are closing Burgess Falls after today so I went back and learned a little more about my GPS 12 and found it. A lot easier after I sort of figured out what I was doing with the GPS. I took nothing and left one of my University of Tenneessee GoBigOrange ballpoint pens. Thanks, Mike

Found it 23 Feb 11 You found [Traditional Cache] Back to school Visit Log

Our first cache, thank you.

ETA - I'd read about geocaching but never gotten around to trying it. It was the school holidays and the boys were bored so I thought lets give it a go. This was a fantastic first find. Easy enough and accessible enough to keep the boys interest and to find it contained swag on top of that!! They were beyond excited. The best start to geocaching I could have hoped for. Thanks again

This entry was edited by enola05 on Sunday, 01 May 2011 at 18:00:31 UTC.

My first log was very brief, based on previous logs I'd seen. After getting to grips with the forums I went back and edited

My first log:
Funny guy. :P There are many people who do have that as their first log though, eh? I'll bet none of them will ever visit this forum though, or find more than a handful of caches in their career. I could be wrong though.

But for reals though:

Found our FIRST CACHE!!! We didnt find 6 in a row and finally it happened. It was pretty awesome and pretty easy to find. I grew up in this park so I knew exactly where to go. We took a little green gecko and left a really cool skeleton keychain. There was a coin but we didnt know to write down the number. Gonna go back and get it the number to log. Geocaching is awesome! TFTC!

It turns out my logs are on average 196 characters. Not bad for somebody who doesnt like to write.

"This was our first cache. What a beautiful park in January. We took the deck of cards and left a keychain flashlight and a Battlebots Winner pog from Jabberwock the battlebot season 4.0 in San Francisco. Logbook is totally full we were the third to sign on the back cover. Thanks for the cache. We are hooked!"

The swag we left in the first cache was meaningful to us as Corn was the Jabberwock driver. Like Tahosa we still have that very first little deck of cards we picked up in exchange.

We did know we were hooked. :)

icon_smile.gif May 4, 2006 by larryc43230

Found my first geocache! Getting to the spot was no problem using the directions and hints. Didn't see the skeleton mentioned by other loggers. Located in a pretty area; the creek is always nice this time of year. The cache itself is in good shape. Made an entry in the log book, but didn't take or leave anything else.

The cache was Sycamore Sittery, a puzzle cache about a mile from where I live. The business about the skeleton referred to this log, about a month prior to my find:

Found with CodeMeister. I got up in the tree and saw the place where the cache was hiding. There was a really weird skelleton propped up in the sycamore beside the Sittery.

I still wonder what that was all about. :ph34r:

--Larry

Actually, since I was the one of the three of us to actually find the cache, I guess I deserve to log it as well (see previous entry by chadcari).

By the way, Chadcari (1 found), is the Chad that I know.

Chad's log for that day:

Found the Cache after about 15 minutes of looking. This was my first cache and close to work. A friend of mine who went along was the one to actually find the cache. Took a wooden geocaching coin and left an important Item used in my trade. TFTC

I knew nothing at all about caching until we started walking to the cache, and Chad filled me in.

Oh, my goodness! The person who introduced us to caching, and took us to our first three caches (the only ones in the area), is named Chad! :o Hey, I know Chad, too! :laughing:

Our first find ever but our second hunt. The kids were so excited. My GPS isn't that great (it's a TomTom made for roads) and so the hint was very helpful. Left a samll crystal and signed the log as FobesFamily. TFTFUN

I used the TomTom that I got for when I travel to unfamiliar cities to find caches for the first 8 months or so that I cached. I found nearly 400 caches using the TomTom until a friend took pity on me and loaned me his 60CS to use until I got my own 60CSx a couple of months after that. I've been using that ever since.

Thanks Team Amp! This is my first find. I took my two sons with me on a cool weather treasure hunt. Wasn't planned at all. We don't even have our gps yet! But we came to visit family in Cochrane and they live just two blocks away so we figured, Hey we go and play at Whittle Park all the time, we should be able to find it. Took a little while as we had no inclination as to where in the park it was but found it we did. The boys, 6 & 5, had a blast and scoured the park top to bottom. Every time anyone would come by with a dog or just go by they would try and act like they were just playing around. They didn't want to let the muggles know their is treasure in the park. They aren't very good actors, had me bent over laughing. Took a pin and left a key chain. Pin is going on my cache pack. Signed the log. Thanks for hiding this cache.

I had obviously been on the forums as I knew what a muggle was. The real muggle not the fake one. ;) Can't believe I found that without a gps still. Makes me think I am to reliant on it now that I do have one finally.