Temp. Lost my Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Personal Navigator book, need help.

PapaGPS

Just bought a new Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Personal Navigator. I let my daughter have the book to look at it, and now I can't find the book.

Anyway, I downloaded the garmin communicator and the USB drivers, and attached my GPS to my comp via USB. When I want to download to GPS it says device not found. So I try again.... still not found. The dl did say it was sucessfully isntalled.

Can someone help me figure out what I am not doing right? I am usually REALLY GOOD with just figuring stuff out on my own by playing around, but not this time. As soon as i find my book I will read it cover to cover, but for now I am lost. My kids are off from school on Tuesday, and it is their birthday,and I wanted to take them geocaching. Thanks.

Make sure the hcx is turned on and at the map screen, then plug in the usb. you should hear the computer make the sound that it found the hardware, and then your software will use it. it's also worth opening google earth or easygps to see if it will find the garmin device.

Make sure the hcx is turned on and at the map screen, then plug in the usb. you should hear the computer make the sound that it found the hardware, and then your software will use it. it's also worth opening google earth or easygps to see if it will find the garmin device.

You know, I may have been that stupid! I didn't remember hearing the sound.