Farthest Cache

Farthest for me (not including trips for other purposes)... while in Redmond, WA decided to drive to the Original Cache SE of Portland. Stayed the night in a hotel somewhat nearby. That's roughly 211 miles (one way).

Edited by Redfist

About 1200 miles on 3 separate occasions. Our local geocaching organization hosts the Cache Across Maryland (CAM) each spring and hides 10 caches spread across the state. Finding all 10 CAM caches within the designated time period (typically 5-6 weeks) gives the finders the coords to the picnic. Some cachers are known to do single marathon road trips, but our family tends to make 3 dedicated road trips to complete each CAM.

Edited by The Fun Group

A few years ago we drove out to the Pacific Northwet on a geocaching vacation. Our main goals were Champoeg, the Original Stash Tribute Plaque, and Groundspeak Headquarters. We added in several other things like visiting Ambrosia :wub: and family in SoCal. The whole trip was around 4000 miles from our home in Colorado Springs. If you look at my finds map (below) you can see a lot of the route clearly enough.

FindsMap-1.jpg

About 55 miles one way as the crow flies to find "The Spot". I've also added 60 miles to a drive from Providence, RI to Darien, CT to detour off 95 to go get Brenton Point, the oldest cache in RI.

Although the OP excludes caches that may have been found during a vacation that wasn't specifically a geocaching vacation I have to assume that caches found while traveling on business wouldn't count either. However, I have factored in the availability of geocaches into my choice of hotel or itinerary when planning a couple business trips. Typically, I choose and book my own travel when going on business trips and get reimbursed when I get home. As long as I don't choose an itinerary which adds to the overall cost I can be pretty flexible. For example, last year I attended a 3 day meeting in Montpellier, France. One of the options was to fly from home (NY) to Paris, then to Montpellier. The travel times were not the most convenient so I looked at other options. One of them was to fly from NY to Frankfurt (where I could grab the virtual located in the airport) to Marseille and take then train from Marseille to Montpellier. Then, for my return trip I added a vacation day and paid for a 215 mile (one way) train trip to Barcelona and flew home from there.

So instead of a business trip where I could find a few caches in Montpellier, I found one in Germany, a bunch in Montpellier, and a handful in Barcelona (plus, I got to see Barcelona) for *less* than if I had flown to Montpellier via Paris. I *did* pay for the Montpellier -> Barcelona train and hotel in Barcelona out of my own pocket but it doesn't cost the funders for my trip anything more.

About 55 miles one way as the crow flies to find "The Spot". I've also added 60 miles to a drive from Providence, RI to Darien, CT to detour off 95 to go get Brenton Point, the oldest cache in RI.

Although the OP excludes caches that may have been found during a vacation that wasn't specifically a geocaching vacation I have to assume that caches found while traveling on business wouldn't count either. However, I have factored in the availability of geocaches into my choice of hotel or itinerary when planning a couple business trips. Typically, I choose and book my own travel when going on business trips and get reimbursed when I get home. As long as I don't choose an itinerary which adds to the overall cost I can be pretty flexible. For example, last year I attended a 3 day meeting in Montpellier, France. One of the options was to fly from home (NY) to Paris, then to Montpellier. The travel times were not the most convenient so I looked at other options. One of them was to fly from NY to Frankfurt (where I could grab the virtual located in the airport) to Marseille and take then train from Marseille to Montpellier. Then, for my return trip I added a vacation day and paid for a 215 mile (one way) train trip to Barcelona and flew home from there.

So instead of a business trip where I could find a few caches in Montpellier, I found one in Germany, a bunch in Montpellier, and a handful in Barcelona (plus, I got to see Barcelona) for *less* than if I had flown to Montpellier via Paris. I *did* pay for the Montpellier -> Barcelona train and hotel in Barcelona out of my own pocket but it doesn't cost the funders for my trip anything more.

I flew from Phoenix, AZ to Sao Paulo Brazil for work. I did find a cache down there, but it was only a few blocks away from a meeting I had. I didn't count that 6000 mile journey since I was going there for work anyway... :)

However, I did get a Brazil cache and it will likely remain my southernmost cache on my stats for quite a long time. :)

A few friends and I did a whirlwind trip from the SF Bay Area to the APE cache in Washington, getting there the day after the Tunnel opened. So I suppose that would be the longest for me. But sometimes the line is hard to separate. Would I have gone to the Toroweap overlook in a remote section of the Grand Canyon if there had not been a cache there? Would we be planning a trip to Yellowstone if it were not for all the caches there?

Edited by mulvaney

We've been known to take vacation trips to color in new states on our maps. WE do see sights along the way, but the porpoise of the trip is to color in states. So, my furthest so far is 850 miles to St. Augustine, Fla. This year, we are hoping for Winona, Minn. Which is 900 miles away.

Next year, not so far: Newfoundland.

Usually I go no more than a few miles out of my way for a cache. Those of my finds that have been the most distant from home have been during trips that we would have taken anyway.

But I have joined a few group geocaching hikes for which I've driven up to 50 miles.

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't think I've ever gone more than 4-5 miles for the SOLE purpose of caching. What I love most is the convenience of Geocaching--I can get in the car and go grab one a mile away and be back home 10-15 minutes later. I would never take a trip for the sole purpose of Geocaching. I do enjoy Geocaching, but my life doesn't revolve around it. (I do completely understand that many of you will disagree! :D )

This is a difficult question to answer. I have gone on a family and wouldn't have gone but to find caches along the way and while there. But since I did other things while there, I'll skip that. My furthest away "just to get it" cache was about 80 miles. It was part of my 500th milestone day where I got several and I probably drove 100-110 miles or so before heading back.

I went 5271 km (millions of miles) from Canada to Nicaragua, because I really really wanted to find Primero de Nicaragua ("First in Nicaragua"). It was a potential FTF after 5½ years in the jungle, and unfortunately I left with a big fat DNF. But I had one heck of an adventure.

Top that. :lol:

Oh, and I once detoured from southern Mexico into Guatemala to DNFTF a cache that I was pretty sure I wasn't going to find. But it was only 125 km as the satellite flies from where I was hanging out (or a full day of travel on the ground), so I had to check it out. It would've been a 5-year FTF.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

We added about 1000Kms (600 miles) to a trip after developing an earthcache (GC2NJ9A)to revisit GCHANK as we had previously logged a DNF and it was subsequently found so we knew it was there!

The extension involved camping in a sandstorm and a 14 hour drive home the next day in the same sandstorm.

Apart from the odd FTF (a few km) we have not gone out to find that one specific cache. We did -however- drive from the south of the Netherlands via Belgium, France and Luxembourg to the Hanover area in Germany, just to a) find caches in Belgium, France and Luxembourg and B) find caches in 5 countries in a single day; succes in both instances!. Admittedly we stayed overnight in Luxembourg, but all-in-all it was approx a 1000km detour just to cache.

Mr. Terratin