Blank logging

In years to come, when you look back at the list of finds, how are you going to remember anything about the cache, or your day of caching, if all the log says is:

TFTC

or

It does say, on the front page of the site:

Share your experience with other treasure seekers.

Exactly, we always do and I'm proud of that fact. Personally, I want to remember most of the caches we find and if all I ever wrote was TFTC, that would be impossible. I certainly wouldn't dream of C&P or a blank log but as others have said, we all play differently.

The other reason I usually write a line or two, is for the sake of PAF. If I cant remember the particular cache by title or clue, I ask the PAFFER to read out my log. On almost every occasion, I have then remembered the cache and been able to help out said PAFFER. With the ease of hides these days, my PAF phone doesn't ring quite as much but when it does, I'm usually suitably confident I will be able to help.

Edited to add....

I don't think there is anything wrong with setting a really good cache and enjoying reading positive logs. In my mind, there is no shame in getting enjoyment from being praised for a job well done. It happens so rarely in real life :laughing:

Edited by thehoomer

Why? Part of the buzz of grabbing a FTF is the not knowing... even as you have the cache in hand, opening the logbook and seeing it nice and blank.

I for one certainly like to know if a FTF is still an option before I run after one, money is tight so to rush out after a FTF only to find it had gone before I had even left the house is annoying as I've wasted fuel, if I had known I would have left the cache for when I had more time spare and could have done it and several others in one trip.

Sorry but this seems really silly to me, if you can't afford to put fuel in your car to rush out for an FTF (wether you find it or not?).... then why rush out at all?

I'm not an FTF shark (even if I can afford to put fuel in my car, i don't waste it) ... but on the few occasions I have been in the right place at the right time, I wouldn't dream of logging straight away to say I found it.

isn't this the fun of the FTF rush?

I got told off once for not logging an FTF as soon as I got home to stop someone else detouring from work, going out of their way for the FTF.

So they were mighty narked to see my name on the log.

(I thought it was funny) :rolleyes:

My reply to them? ..... 'It's only a game!'

Why is it necessary to log a find immediately? I do for FTFs, to prevent others from rushing to GZ fruitlessly, but otherwise wait until I return home and can do it at my leisure.

I don't log in the field, period. I have a smartphone but don't use the internet in the field because it drains the battery. If I rush out and get FTF I log it when I get home, just like I log the other caches. If someone wants to race for the FTF and finds I beat them to it, that's the way it goes and the chance you take when you race for something. I've beaten people to FTF by a matter of minutes, and likewise I've been beaten to FTF by a matter of minutes.

I use copy-and-paste logs that don't say a lot when I've been out on a huge caching run and don't remember each individual cache. If I remember a particular cache I'll write something specific about it.

I have just discovered a cacher logging my caches using a date before they were published!

:anitongue: :anitongue: :anitongue: :anitongue:

It can happen... I was out in London with a caching buddy a while back and we found a cache that wasn't yet published. It was cool, he was over from the US and bagged an international FTF before it had even officially gone live.

I for one certainly like to know if a FTF is still an option before I run after one, money is tight so to rush out after a FTF only to find it had gone before I had even left the house is annoying as I've wasted fuel, if I had known I would have left the cache for when I had more time spare and could have done it and several others in one trip.

If money is that tight for you perhaps you should reconsider dashing out in the hope of getting FTF at all. I mean seriously, you can't complain if you join in a race with an unknown number of other people and then complain at the cost of the fuel if you don't win it. Either take part and accept you might not be first, or leave it until later anyway.

How would it be any less annoying if someone logged their FTF a couple of seconds after you shut down your computer before heading out on your own ill-fated FTF run?

If money is that tight for you perhaps you should reconsider dashing out in the hope of getting FTF at all. I mean seriously, you can't complain if you join in a race with an unknown number of other people and then complain at the cost of the fuel if you don't win it. Either take part and accept you might not be first, or leave it until later anyway.

How would it be any less annoying if someone logged their FTF a couple of seconds after you shut down your computer before heading out on your own ill-fated FTF run?

FTF Logging - so what about the person who downloads caches onto their GPS just hours before they go on holiday, Oooo one just happens to be unfound. They cache through their fortnights holiday, go home, catch up on washing/work, all the important/mundane things you do after a holiday, eventually get to sit down at the computer to log ............. some THREE WEEKS later.

In the meantime unknown to them, local cachers have grumbled and cursed them at not getting an FTF, grumbled at them not logging online, even grabbing TBs off them out of impatience ..............

That could happen to any of us who do not cache by smart phone, or those of us who like to get away from the computer and decide not to carry our laptops around.

But at least they took time to sit down and write proper logs (yup trying to get back on track here).

I always grab and drop TBs live. If done correctly on the iPhone App it won't let you grab one that's not in that cache... though you can if you need to. I think it helps as some people do go hunting for TBs as much as they do caches... and from now on I'm going to try and swap TBs where possible so anyone playing that game can still get their find.

Live logging is not the issue here... for those unfamiliar with the app, it can post field notes like expensive garmin units, only real time onto the server, and so it can be edited on the MacBook (or even those other computers) when home for the log itself. What we're dealing with here isn't the phone, I've seen "." in logs which were it would appear have been done on t'internet. We're dealing with people who don't care, or don't know better. Sure the phone is partly responsible for letting them in, so are heavily discounted GPSr's and fleabay.

Rewind 10 years... and the cheapest flashable Garmin GPSr was double the price of their cheapest today... Geko 201 £120 if memory serves, while the Etrex H has been available in a certain store for under £60 for a long time.

So 10 years back, I'd think twice as hard before buying a GPSr to see if I like a game. No matter how well off one is, money is money! So what did we do? We got an existing player to show us the ropes, how to program a unit, how to find, and how to log online. There was an education programme! I remember with much fondness the HCC event and joining others in taking muggles around Farley mount to demonstrate the game... at the find we went on to tell them that they should log online and tell the CO something about their experience. We've lost that stage in being a newbie, which is sad... maybe we need an HCC type weekend where we can set up in public in parks around the country? We can take muggles out, and also catch some of those phone/cheap GPSr newbies who've never met another cacher. Maybe this would be more beneficial than group meets in pubs to the game... of course there should be after event drinkies in a nearby alehouse! If anyone's up for it, we could even talk to the legends who set up HCC for help and advice, and those that have had approval from the local councils for contacts & to get it publicised.

11 years into the game and we're still stuck for what to say to muggles. Just yesterday I was busted... a chap, who seemed the respectable type, asked if I was looking for something. I said I was, but didn't know what! He asked if we were geocaching... as he'd heard of it, but never had the chance to have a go. So he searched, he found... hopefully he'll log! I got a free find, and he enjoyed himself!

Im an smartphone user......i never log in fields because im poor :( n never have credit on my phone to acsess the geo website! However...i have a toystory rucksack (my sons obs) and inside that i always make sure im carrying my geocaching note book...inside this i write what type of environment its in and what the area is like ect!

I have to admit i have done a TFTC but also added that i thought a well known playground in my area right next to a major road is a rubbish place to place a cache......its constantly full of kids....everyday and ive read loads of times that u have to think of why you would want to place a cache there.....well tbh.....i have no idea why they would want to place a cache in a bush on a playground!

I enjoy my experience but some days there aint enough hours in the day and if ive been caching in the morning i always come bk and log my visits but on the odd occasion i could be loggin caches and realise im late to pick the boy up from pre school so my last one would probs be a TFTC...sowwieee :S

This thread is clearly emotive - I've not seen such a big response on this forum for years!

Seems to me it would be constructive for someone to start a Feedback thread asking Groundspeak to force people to write something on a phone app log. If enough people add a vote to that then they may eventually realise how important the logs are to the game as a whole and change the app.

Even if its only TFTC, at least by forcing someone to type something you end up jogging the brain into realising that a log is an integral part of the game. A blank log serves little purpose. The way the app is geared up you could start playing the game and never even realise that sending a blank log was a bit of a faux pas - is that the fault of the finder or rather the app designer?

I've only been a cacher for just over a year but I've always felt it was my duty to report my experience as part of my logs. Feeling part of a community I genuinely appreciate the time, effort and money involved in placing caches and always thought it would be rude and/or lazy of me to thank the owner by simply saying TFTC or similar.

Don't get me wrong, on some caches, particularly long series, I do end up copy and pasting parts of the log but even then I try to make a unique addition/alteration to every single find.

Now that I also have caches of my own I see this in reverse and genuinely appreciate 'worthy' comments from cachers. It pleases me to see someone say they had a nice walk, a nice day or they enjoyed the find. It makes my effort worth my time.

The way the app is geared up you could start playing the game and never even realise that sending a blank log was a bit of a faux pas - is that the fault of the finder or rather the app designer?

Precisely... the app should at least match GC.com while I have seen "." logs, they are much rarer than blank ones.

Here's my tuppence...

I've recently placed a series of caches 5 miles south of Norwich and they are getting some nice feedback. It's lovely to read what others have said about finding your caches - in many ways I look forward to reading the comments more than finding caches myself. I've recently had some blank logs. I have read the full thread and whilst I realise that there maybe people who cannot type a log (as mentioned above) and that we all play the game in different ways etc, the simple and unavoidable fact is that if you've gone to the trouble of hiding a cache (or series of them) then its simply rudeness not to comment and 'share your experience online' The people who didn't bother to write anything did however, bother to take photo spoilers of some of my caches, even though it says in the cache description 'Due to the nature of this cache please DO NOT upload images of the container'. I've checked their profile and it appears that they are very new cachers. I've emailed them to explain their mistake, and mentioned about the general etiquette of writing comments on logs. My personal opinion is that if you can't be bothered to comment on your experience then don't bother going to log your find at all...

Here's my tuppence...

I've recently placed a series of caches 5 miles south of Norwich and they are getting some nice feedback. It's lovely to read what others have said about finding your caches - in many ways I look forward to reading the comments more than finding caches myself. I've recently had some blank logs. I have read the full thread and whilst I realise that there maybe people who cannot type a log (as mentioned above) and that we all play the game in different ways etc, the simple and unavoidable fact is that if you've gone to the trouble of hiding a cache (or series of them) then its simply rudeness not to comment and 'share your experience online' The people who didn't bother to write anything did however, bother to take photo spoilers of some of my caches, even though it says in the cache description 'Due to the nature of this cache please DO NOT upload images of the container'. I've checked their profile and it appears that they are very new cachers. I've emailed them to explain their mistake, and mentioned about the general etiquette of writing comments on logs. My personal opinion is that if you can't be bothered to comment on your experience then don't bother going to log your find at all...

OOOOOO youve just started a whole new rant!!!! Spoiler photos WHATS THE POINT it ruins it for everyone else x

... The people who didn't bother to write anything did however, bother to take photo spoilers of some of my caches, even though it says in the cache description 'Due to the nature of this cache please DO NOT upload images of the container'. I've checked their profile and it appears that they are very new cachers. I've emailed them to explain their mistake, and mentioned about the general etiquette of writing comments on logs. My personal opinion is that if you can't be bothered to comment on your experience then don't bother going to log your find at all...

If their photographs have given too much away, or will spoil the fun or surprise of the cache finding experience for those who follow then deletion is the way forward. Sometimes it's just down to enthusiam, newness and not enough forethought when such things happen. It's good that you've explained it all to them - it's the only way new cachers will learn such things as many of them never find their way into the geocaching forums. ;)

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

Here's my tuppence...

Loving the tuppence... as an iPhone logger (not finder) I hate being tarred with the brush so to speak... I write real logs in real time, which is kinda cool... and I guess those who pay £500 for a device that can log field notes but need a Mac (or one of those toy computers) to turn it into a log are a bit jealous.

Now onto the "new rant!!!" I don't look at photos until after the cache is found... and then only on caches that I've enjoyed. Some good photographers in the game who capture the landscape far better than I ever could, and it's also nice to put faces to names, as I'm hopeless with names! So spoiler photos will never spoil my fun.

In fact, I only use the hint if the cache is in a high muggle area and I need speed and stealth! Was once on my 6th visit to a cache before I found it, but there was NO way I was using the hint! After finding it I looked at the hint... and it would have spoiled the whole experience to be honest.

Edited by NattyBooshka
and I guess those who pay £500 for a device that can log field notes but need a Mac (or one of those toy computers) to turn it into a log are a bit jealous.

Wow, just the kind of "being something better" attitude that ticks the rest of us off so much. If I wanted to own any sort of Apple product, I would just buy one. :rolleyes:

and I guess those who pay £500 for a device that can log field notes but need a Mac (or one of those toy computers) to turn it into a log are a bit jealous.

Wow, just the kind of "being something better" attitude that ticks the rest of us off so much. If I wanted to own any sort of Apple product, I would just buy one. :rolleyes:

Hehe... so glad to have not disappointed.

Not better... Apple's MacBook and Sony's Vaio are much the same in terms of spec, speed, and pretty much everything else you could care to mention. It's the operating system applied to them that makes the difference... a 10 year old IBM Thinkpad I have beats the newest Vaio in the house hands down for speed because it doesn't run Windows. All MP3 players before the iPod were awkward to use and had very questionable sound quality... since, it's almost certainly been beaten, but the brand has a following. The iPad (which I refused to buy as I couldn't see a use for it) beats all current tablets hand down still.. the iPad 2 (one bought and 1 on my shopping list) spanks them. I'm not an Apple guru of years of loyal custom... I got fed up with the deficiencies of the Windows/Nokia market leaders... and OS X became UNIX certified... meaning it was fast, efficient, and pretty much virus free. Sure I have to pay an extra couple of hundred quid for that... but my MacBook isn't obsolete six months later... as a student I bought a MacBook with discount... used it for a year, and sold it for more than I paid for it. A windows device is a doorstop after a year or two.

Here's the thing... I bought an eTrex H for £60 which finds caches just as well as a top of the range £500 (soon to be £600) GPSr... with the £540 quid change I can buy a LOT of paper maps... and I have 3 very good (though not as good as Pharisee's) compasses that will do what electronic ones are poor at. So... I still have money in the bank, and all the functionality of a 60ST... apart from the chirp thing. So, go to the next event and watch the GPS envy/one upmanship. It's the same as my current Apple usage. Any computer running Windows is a toy... anything running UNIX is capable of being more. I like toys... but not when idiots worldwide write viruses to try an kill it. I have no brand loyalty... when someone beats Apple's current trinity of Mac, iPhone and iPad, I'll buy it. I resisted the iPhone until the 3GS because although it was a great device, it was a useless phone... now it's not.

Better is a point of view... I drive a Vauxhall Zafira, my mate has a Mercedes SLK... his is dearer, faster, better engineered and built. Mine is better for camping trips, shopping, transporting brats and fuel efficiency. Sometimes I'd like his (good for heading to a FTF)... sometimes he'd like mine. Don't think he'll swap though!

Anyway... I'm guessing you use "something better" than an eTrex!

Hello all.

I use an Android phone for Geocaching and always write notes in the field while the memory is fresh in my mind. By using a smartphone I'm also able to take high quality photos of anything I found particularly interesting around the site to add to the log when I get home, such as a recent find where my path was blocked by two swans and their family of signets. I don't always write a great deal when I find a cache that is clearly aimed as being a C&D as there's generally not much to say, but I always add.something in any event. I hadn't realised you could log a find without writing a note from a phone but I always write something anyway, after all, why wouldn't you?

Thanks for the input, but I think you totally missed my point, while at the same time emphasizing it too. I'll let the thread get back on topic though.

Thanks for the input, but I think you totally missed my point, while at the same time emphasizing it too. I'll let the thread get back on topic though.

Actually I don't think I did... blank and "." logs are NOT the fault of the iPhone (or the users TBH)... it was a mistake and I'm saddened by it. That said, iPhone loggers are now looked down on... like the eTrex users in this world at every event I've been to when the "look at my top of the range GPSr" muppet comes in.

Hello all.

I use an Android phone for Geocaching and always write notes in the field while the memory is fresh in my mind. By using a smartphone I'm also able to take high quality photos of anything I found particularly interesting around the site to add to the log when I get home, such as a recent find where my path was blocked by two swans and their family of signets. I don't always write a great deal when I find a cache that is clearly aimed as being a C&D as there's generally not much to say, but I always add.something in any event. I hadn't realised you could log a find without writing a note from a phone but I always write something anyway, after all, why wouldn't you?

Good man... phone loggers are getting a bad rap on here, nice to hear from another proper real time logger!

Phone loggers shouldnt be tarred with the same brush....I enjoy using my phone if im honest n like Micky said u can take some lovely photos with every cache and location you find.....and on the note of the iphone......i hate them.....get over the iphone,ipad,icloud thing already its boring me...Who would really take the kids to the park with a ipad in the back pocket....You clearly are picking a brand and are trying to force the brand on everyone else....Apple are expensive, cheaply built pieces of rubbish!!! Stop jumping on the common band wagon...ppl at apple love ppl like you!!! youll be one of these ppl buying the ipad2 im guessing because it has a higher spec or whatever!!!! BOOOORRRRIIIINNNGGGGGG

Now back to blank logging! Rant over

Blank logging... Maybe blank descriptions and hints are a way to fight back :D

Don't joke about it. Check the "description" of this cache GC16CNE and then look at my cheeky 2 logs of 8/9 October 2007 and the following log by Keehotee :laughing:

Lol!

Technically, round these parts 12 feetof accuracy, what more is needed!?

Loving your found log though!

A blank log serves little purpose.

If you think about it, there's no such thing as a blank log. You're forced to register whether the cache was found, what the date of the find was and who you are. Surely that's pretty significant? That might be all you're interested in recording. A lot of comments are of no interest to anyone but the cacher; so I don't see the issue.

As I've said before, it's nice if you see some comments as well but I don't understand all the ranting just because some people choose not to add a comment.

If you want to type something there's an obvious space for it. If you're not interested in saving your comments (for whatever reason), why should you be forced to write "TFTC" when a blank is just as useful?

If I don't log in the field on my iPhone then you simply won't get a log at all.

Why do people care what kit a cacher uses to find a cache or to log it? It isn't the kit that is the 'problem', it's the person typing the log.

I'll usually put in about the same amount of effort in my log as I think the cache owner put in placing the cache. I have caches out there that took ages to place and regularly get double logs to fit the whole finders log in. I have another that is just a simple cache that usually gets a line or two.

I know that there are people that just log the minimum they can but they probably are not interested in reading back their logs and simply logging to track their numbers. Each to their own. They do no harm to anyone.

If you want to type something there's an obvious space for it. If you're not interested in saving your comments (for whatever reason), why should you be forced to write "TFTC" when a blank is just as useful?

On an individual basis I agree, people should write as much or little as they like. But on a collective basis, I think logs are good for the game; it is part of sharing the experience. Requiring that some comment be added (as it has always been, and still is if logging via the website) sends a message to the user that they should add something. Allowing the comments to be blank (only is the case on smartphone apps) sends a message that comments are optional.

If I don't log in the field on my iPhone then you simply won't get a log at all.

Why do people care what kit a cacher uses to find a cache or to log it? It isn't the kit that is the 'problem', it's the person typing the log.

I don't think people care about what kit is used, other than the fact that blank logs are only possible via smartphones.

Wow this is a really interesting read!

We are relative newbies; this is my first time on the forum, and didn't realise how much a longer comment is valued. We use the app on a HTC phone and often use it to post a field note there and then just so that when I get home I can easily find which caches we have found so I can add additional information. Even so though, I often only add a sentence and sometimes its quite generic. I thought the main purpose of logging your visit was so that other people could see that it had been found or not found and when and to thank to owner for placing the cache in the first place. Other than that, I use the logs so I can see which ones we have done and also to keep a tally of how many we've completed to compare with other family / friends.

Our app doesn't allow for blank posts however we can only add a photo directly to the log if we post it properly and not as a field note. I'm still trying to find a suitable compromise for this as I can't always connect the phone to the laptop to get the photos off when I'm writing my log. Perhaps I should post a short log with the photo straight away and then just edit it when I get home? Although this does drain the battery quite quickly.

I will definitely endeavour to now post longer logs as I can now see the value of the comments. Thanks for educating me further and enriching my caching experience!

We've noticed the blank log trend lately and usually send a note to the cacher to ask them to add more quoting the guidance on the geocaching website - this usually results in an enhanced log appearring but we always send it with an offer to help any new cachers if they get stuck on anything.

We have a few fun or tricky hids and a couple of series and do not expect big logs on the simpler caches or those in mid-series. However the other day we got "Easy Find TFTC" on all caches found in a series and some more interesting feature caches from a certain cacher. We noted that not all caches in the series had a log from him so guessed he was one that did not post DNFs - and then this cacher had the cheek to send a mail to ask if we "knew that cache #1 was missing as it prevented (him) from finding the bonus" and implied that it spoilt his day. :o

So we responded by advising that we did not know it was missing as we always suspend a cache if we know its missing and rely on DNFs to advise of missing caches but as they have found, some people are too proud to post DNFs and so the fun is spoiled for others who follow them a they have found out. We went on to say that when they become CO's they will appreciate that interesting logs is what makes the hassle of placing and maintaining caches worthwhile. Needless to say we had no reply but we hope they recognised themselves in the points made. :yikes:

Another grumble off track but seem to have had a few logs lately from newbies who cannot find our more trickier caches that it is obviously not there and the CO should check it out immediately. Perhaps I should stick a broom up my **** while checking it out to clean up the path for them too! :blink: (In every single case to date - the cache was still there when I got round to checking it out!)

But at the end of the day, blank and TFTC logs just reflect badly on the cacher who left them and as others have said, its their loss as they mis out on the memories and having some fun with the logging.

I tend to write a straightforward "TFTC" where I've been somewhat under-whelmed by the cache. Mum told me that if I had nothing nice to say I should say nothing at all. Otherwise, I would expect it just a courtesy to make a small effort in the log. You don't need to be an "old timer" to be well mannered!

I tend to write a straightforward "TFTC" where I've been somewhat under-whelmed by the cache. Mum told me that if I had nothing nice to say I should say nothing at all. Otherwise, I would expect it just a courtesy to make a small effort in the log. You don't need to be an "old timer" to be well mannered!

I tend to say TFTC when I'm saying "Thanks for the Cache", it in no way implies that the cache is sub-standard, although it seems that a lot of users on this forum take it that way. It's no different to me using "&" or "+" instead of "and". I'm a good typist and can't be bothered to type the full phrase so I'm sure those that "peck" at the keyboard can't either. I will always leave a comment, but the GS requirements are "Find It", "Sign the Book", "Log your find" - the barebones of it is, leaving a "Found It" log fills that requirement and will let the CO know the cache is still there. Anything else is a bonus, requiring anything else is an ALR....

Surely life's too short to stress over it? As mentioned before, a lot of these are by new users who have an app on their phone. They don't come on these forums and never will, so it'll be hard to get the message across to them. Just adjust to the new order & have another drink.....

Chalky

I tend to say TFTC when I'm saying "Thanks for the Cache", it in no way implies that the cache is sub-standard, although it seems that a lot of users on this forum take it that way. It's no different to me using "&" or "+" instead of "and". I'm a good typist and can't be bothered to type the full phrase so I'm sure those that "peck" at the keyboard can't either. I will always leave a comment, but the GS requirements are "Find It", "Sign the Book", "Log your find" - the barebones of it is, leaving a "Found It" log fills that requirement and will let the CO know the cache is still there. Anything else is a bonus, requiring anything else is an ALR....

Surely life's too short to stress over it? As mentioned before, a lot of these are by new users who have an app on their phone. They don't come on these forums and never will, so it'll be hard to get the message across to them. Just adjust to the new order & have another drink.....

Chalky

I'll drink to that!

If you're getting so little joy from a hobby or activity that the lack of a thank you causes you stress then it's time to move on to another hobby or cause.

No, its not causing stress at all, it is just a bit sad that people no longer have the manners to show their appreciation for all the hard work that goes into hiding boxes, buying the contents, negotiating with landowners, working closely with local forestry, liasing with Woodland Trust management, many meetings with the local council, the hundreds of miles walked leaving boxes for others to find, hosting events for your enjoyment...........

Up here both Big Tree and Woodland Trust have paid for boxes, contents, even gone out and hidden the boxes themselves in their woodlands and forests for us to find, Rangers have given their time setting trails and doing games/trails to amuse the youngsters, they have hosted their own events, done a BBQ, supply mini buses - If they constantly receive blank logs, we are going to lose their support surely?

So no, not stressed at all, quite the opposite, losing interest to go to all the trouble any more.

If you're getting so little joy from a hobby or activity that the lack of a thank you causes you stress then it's time to move on to another hobby or cause.

No, its not causing stress at all, it is just a bit sad that people no longer have the manners to show their appreciation for all the hard work that goes into hiding boxes, buying the contents, negotiating with landowners, working closely with local forestry, liasing with Woodland Trust management, many meetings with the local council, the hundreds of miles walked leaving boxes for others to find, hosting events for your enjoyment...........

Up here both Big Tree and Woodland Trust have paid for boxes, contents, even gone out and hidden the boxes themselves in their woodlands and forests for us to find, Rangers have given their time setting trails and doing games/trails to amuse the youngsters, they have hosted their own events, done a BBQ, supply mini buses - If they constantly receive blank logs, we are going to lose their support surely?

So no, not stressed at all, quite the opposite, losing interest to go to all the trouble any more.

Not everyone judges things by effusive how the thank yous are. Personally I would regard the expectation of a thank you as a form of vanity. I do plenty of voluntary work and whilst a genuine thank you from the heart is nice it's worthless if it's not merely done out of an enforced sense of obligation.

Big Tree and The Woodland Trust most likely have an aim of increasing footfall at their sites, a blank log will demonstrate the required result as effectively as a long essay.

We're all different and it's no good expecting everyone to be the same as us.

With the risk of repeating myself; it's as Bear and Ragged says. Sharing experiences online is good for the game. Nothing can force anyone to write meaningful logs. But making them write SOMETHING to log at least sends a message that you should write something. Allowing blank logs from smart phones (a recent change) sends a message that the comments are optional.

It's not changing overnight; lots of people still write online logs. But blank logs are getting more common, and it's not a good trend (in my view).

I'm not looking for thanks. But I use and appreciate the logs of others:

- As a owner, I like hearing what people liked (or disliked) about my caches, so I can improve as a owner.

- As a finder, I use the logs to determine if a cache is one I would like to find. Favourite points help but the logs give more of the story.

And I also enjoy going back and reading some of my old logs.

So, for me, it is as simple as:

1. Sharing experiences in online logs are good for the game

2. Allowing this step to be skipped is resulting in less sharing in logs, which is not good for the game.

No stress, no vanity. Just an observation of something going in the wrong direction.

With the risk of repeating myself; it's as Bear and Ragged says. Sharing experiences online is good for the game. Nothing can force anyone to write meaningful logs. But making them write SOMETHING to log at least sends a message that you should write something. Allowing blank logs from smart phones (a recent change) sends a message that the comments are optional.

It's not changing overnight; lots of people still write online logs. But blank logs are getting more common, and it's not a good trend (in my view).

I'm not looking for thanks. But I use and appreciate the logs of others:

- As a owner, I like hearing what people liked (or disliked) about my caches, so I can improve as a owner.

- As a finder, I use the logs to determine if a cache is one I would like to find. Favourite points help but the logs give more of the story.

And I also enjoy going back and reading some of my old logs.

So, for me, it is as simple as:

1. Sharing experiences in online logs are good for the game

2. Allowing this step to be skipped is resulting in less sharing in logs, which is not good for the game.

No stress, no vanity. Just an observation of something going in the wrong direction.

Ah well. You keep writing long logs. I'll keep writing logs that are probably a bit shorter, but I'm not about to criticise others for blank or even one word logs. At the end of the day it's an outdoor game not a writing competition :)

But do you not find the fact that people have taken the time and effort to visit your cache based on your description and choice of location reward enough?

If you're in this for effusive thanks and undying gratitude then no wonder you're disappointed!

I'm not being ungrateful as I'm sure it takes up a fair chunk of time maintaining them etc. but have a look at any other hobby where some members contribute and others reap the benefits - a local camera club for example - competitions are organised, speakers arranged etc, but at the end of the night there isn't a huge queue of people to say thanks to the organiser, they'll be saying it to the judge or the speaker, or how many times do the parents of the junior football team thank the manager for arranging matches?

I think it's the same in this hobby, you're hiding boxes in the woods because you want to, or you think we should visit - we do, and we all appreciate it - but in our own way....

Chalky

Ah well. You keep writing long logs. I'll keep writing logs that are probably a bit shorter, but I'm not about to criticise others for blank or even one word logs. At the end of the day it's an outdoor game not a writing competition :)

I've not criticised anyone for writing short logs. I'm questioning the wisdom of Groundspeak to allow blank logs, as well as stating that I believe sharing experiences in logs is good for the game.