Why is it always the ants...

Today I was searching ground zero at our first stop of the day when all of a sudden my arms became covered in ants! It was as if they had just materialized there. Hundreds of them. Each one on its own personal mission to set its mandibles in my skin.

AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I was searching ground zero at our first stop of the day when all of a sudden my arms became covered in ants! It was as if they had just materialized there. Hundreds of them. Each one on its own personal mission to set its mandibles in my skin.

Ok take a breathe. Did you wipe them off or are they still on your arm?

With the very wet spring we have had, mosquitoes seem to be very prevalent. As a previous finder noted: Visions of West Nile Fever dance in my head. Saw a very large black spider inside a stuffed Pooh Bear with a cache sticking out of his back. Only picked off three deer ticks yesterday. Nope. Haven't had a problem recently with ants or oncles.

The last two years here our ant hills got gigantic. Like feet high. I've never seen anything like that. Couple times I had the ants crawling on me at different caches. One found a cache full of ants. That was as close to levitating as I have ever got. And this year my friend found another cache completely full of ants. Makes me want to carry some raid with me for moments like that. Never will but I'm not a fan of bug filled caches.

But the ant hills are amazing and I wonder a lot why this all of a sudden started happening up here.

With the very wet spring we have had, mosquitoes seem to be very prevalent. As a previous finder noted: Visions of West Nile Fever dance in my head. Saw a very large black spider inside a stuffed Pooh Bear with a cache sticking out of his back. Only picked off three deer ticks yesterday. Nope. Haven't had a problem recently with ants or oncles.

A cache sticking out of his back? That must have been one big spider!

A cache sticking out of his back? That must have been one big spider!

In Arizona, we have spiders easily large enough to carry a nano-cache on their back.

But, that would be a moving cache and not approvable.

Sometimes, said spiders move the cache anyway. Yes, they are quite large out here.

This my friend is why candy shouldn't go in a cache.

This my friend is why candy shouldn't go in a cache.

I thought he said that he left Bacall sitting in the car.

No, I don't live in Florida. Yes, my mother sometimes caches with me. No, I am not that woman's daughter. You can keep all those nanos and the spiders they rode in on. Yes, sweet Bacall was in the car. No, they were not fire ants. Thank the great spirits! No, my arms don't look like that. Thank you again oh mighty sky spirits. I suppose that depends on the snakes, or whatever. And last but not least Forewarned is forearmed!

I would much rather have snakes than ants. I can deal with one or two snakes at a time, but fire ants get you by the thousands!! I was looking for a cache Saturday on the top of a vertical cliff and rested my arm on an oak tree limb. Next thing I knew my arm was covered with ants. I raked them off and went on to find the cache. We're kinda used to that here in South Texas, just about any bush, tree, or other plant has thorns or stickers on it, plus the scorpions, fire ants, brown recluses, black widows and rattle snakes. It just makes it more fun to me. I got stung by a scorpion last July and it really hurt, makes your mouth taste like you just ate an aluminum bar. Here, you had better look before you stop, because if you don't your legs will be covered with fire ants.

I'm allergic to fire ants, so I have to be really careful. Much the same as someone who is allergic to bees..except bees don't WANT to sting you, they just will if they feel they have to.

I don't get upset at anything in this game, except when somebody puts candy in a cache. Then I get irate. Especially if it's a park & grab. Then, they're not only on me (a public strip down has been known to happen) but also in my car. My husband & I have to find every last one crawling through the car & kill it before we can go anywhere. That's what you call hopping mad!

The thing with fire ants is they'll all get on you, & then they'll all bite at once. There won't be a warning bite from the first one that makes contact unless you have accidentally squished him between two fingers, behind a knee, in an elbow crease, or the like..

I can deal with ants..... and most other bugs/creatures.

There's nothing worse than a TICK burrowed into your skin!!!

Most bugs don't bite me. If we are standing side by side in a swamp and you get 100 mosquito bites I might get 3 or 4. I have never, that I know of, had a tick attach itself to me. I have found the crawling on me but they don't seem interested in latching on. Anyone have a clue why?

Most bugs don't bite me. If we are standing side by side in a swamp and you get 100 mosquito bites I might get 3 or 4. I have never, that I know of, had a tick attach itself to me. I have found the crawling on me but they don't seem interested in latching on. Anyone have a clue why?

Bad taste?

Maybe you taste like an aluminum bar.

Edited by knowschad

Bad taste?

Maybe you taste like an aluminum bar.

:laughing: Sorry Charlie! Mosquitoes don't want people with good taste. They want people that taste good!

I found one recently that, when I opened it (and it was awkward enough to retrieve while avoiding the ivy) ... hundreds of ant larvae fell out. I actually felt kinda bad for the poor ant nursery workers scuttling to protect their charges. I sure hope that CO heeds the log and checks his cache, though, as it was a royal mess.

I found one recently that, when I opened it (and it was awkward enough to retrieve while avoiding the ivy) ... hundreds of ant larvae fell out. I actually felt kinda bad for the poor ant nursery workers scuttling to protect their charges. I sure hope that CO heeds the log and checks his cache, though, as it was a royal mess.

The only good ant is a dead ant. I would have done a dance over the top of them. I have similar feelings for mosquitoes and ticks.