can someone please define geocoin?

LionsLair

<rant>

ok, rather than highjack another topic or six, I start a new one...

yes, it's me again, on my soapbox offering my opinion and wanting everyone elses again...

can someone please draw the line on exactly what a geocoin is?

It started innocent enough, a round metal disk approximately 1.75"x1.75" and 2-3 cm thick... much like a COIN...

they started to morph into different shapes and sizes, then came cut-outs and lranslucent widow panels you could see through...

somewhere along the line the alluminum tags that where once "Travel Bug's" morphed into different shapes and sizes and we started calling them "geocoins"...

then came "clay" geocoins... then "glass" geocoins... and soon came "wood", "leather" and "cloth" what's next? ...ice? ...molten lava? ...plastic? ...rubber?...paper? ...polyresin? ...is there no end? ...no boundaries which define a "geocoin" truely is? ...is the term "geocoin" a blanket name for anything trackable these days?

I think I'll try and make a "geocoin" out of peacock feathers and dried cow chips and tell everyone it's an organic "psychedelic BS geocoin" and see what everyone thinks of that....

some may like the term "geocoins" used for everything trackable, but exactly where is it all headed? to be honest, I can't say I like it... I'd call a metal coin a "geocoin", I'd call the alluminum tags "travel tags" or "trackable tags" and call the glass,wood,leather,cloth,etc,etc,etc.... "trackable swag" or "personal trackables"....anything but geocoins!...

</rant>

opinions please....

My first post. What is Geocoin or travel bug is a subject I'm intersted in.

When I look in a cache I look for an object to take and deposit in a new and hopfully interesting location. There must be a tracking code on the item or how else can one log its movement?. I'm new to geocaching but I think lots of caches are full of junk (sorry if this ofends owners of treasured artifracts). I will tend to be willing to help on their travels any item which is attractive, durable, and not too heavy / bulky. With a tracking code I can see where its been and follow where it goes in the future.

On a point of information can anyone tell me what is thew difference between the tracking code (found on the website) and a reference No on the Geocoin?

I think I'll try and make a "geocoin" out of peacock feathers and dried cow chips and tell everyone it's an organic "psychedelic BS geocoin" and see what everyone thinks of that....

will it be available in any other type of dung (oh boy...a new doggie coin!)

ILYK

A geocoin would seem to be able to be anything these days. Only a few years ago it was always made of metal, either a rounded or shaped disc. But now, it can be made of any material and could be any shape. Evolution?

my point exactly! ... my question is, where does it stop?

will it be available in any other type of dung (oh boy...a new doggie coin!)

ILYK

lol... I can do american bulldog or chihuahua... any preference?!

Hmmm.... is there any restriction on them being inanimate objects...

Next could be animals trackable on geocaching.com - For Sale, bulldog X chihuahua puppies, trackable on geocaching.com, own icon. :laughing:

Well, they have human travel bugs, so why not? :anitongue:

I do like the trackables that one can make of oneself. I've had one on my car, have a t-shirt with a trackable number, and hope to some day get a tattoo and make myself trackable. I doubt that's what people intended when trackables in general were developed, just because no one thought to apply a trackable number to a human being. But that being said, to me a "trackable" has a much wider use as far as the word goes, and while one could use a coin code for a tattoo, which I've thought about doing, just so I'd also be an icon- how cool is that? :D:D:D - I do tend to think that a "coin" should be some sort of smallish shaped thing that's flat. Some of the 3-D coins that have been very poular, like ones that open and close and such, kind of bug me because they couldn't be placed in a book, and require different ways of displaying. So I guess my opinion is likely to be different from every other person's and we're all likely to draw our "line" in different places. Not sure that helps, but just more to think about- does a leather coin bother someone, but a spinning coin or a butterfly coin that opens or the PDA coin that was extra thick not bother that same person? I'm just not sure what the answer is, but it is an interesting thing to think about...

I'm of two opinions on the matter myself. First is the true origin of a "coin". The word itself has a base root to the word kunis or wedge. A heavy metal striker was hammered against molten metal in a recessed basin. Not necessarily "flat" either. Some of the oldest recognized coins were actually fully 3d shapes like dolphins. The basic understanding though was that a raw material was permanently built into a new, consistent shape through the technology of the age. As our technology has increased our materials and methods have changed. So has the coin and what the word means.

Be that as it may, I am one of a growing number of people who think we need a third category. We have traditional TBs, which usually, but not always are any one of a million different cache friendly items with a tag attached. Sometimes no tag at all is there, just a number. Then we have what most of us have known or conceive of as tradiational coins being metal and struck in a mint. Now we're seeing a whole new set of items ranging widely in both shape and material. I generally think of them as "trackables", but not necessarily as coins.

The question really remains (regardless of whether we like or dislike all the different variations arriving) whether they should be considered Geocoins or whether we would like to see a new category added. I would point out that in the beginning there was only the TB. Even the geocoin had a beginning. I would like to see the individual creators being able to classify them into different families of trackables. It might finally be time to expand our geo-world to accomodate all the new creative endeavors. I don't want to see dozens of categories, but it might be time for 1 or 2 more. Just my thoughts :)

SNIP...... It might finally be time to expand our geo-world to accomodate all the new creative endeavors. I don't want to see dozens of categories, but it might be time for 1 or 2 more. Just my thoughts :)

I agree with this whole heartedly... a perfectly logical solution to the problem as well...

SNIP...... It might finally be time to expand our geo-world to accomodate all the new creative endeavors. I don't want to see dozens of categories, but it might be time for 1 or 2 more. Just my thoughts :)

I agree with this whole heartedly... a perfectly logical solution to the problem as well...

I also agree with this... I really do believe that one day, the pathtag world will become part of gc.com.... whether it be from a buyout or mutual relationship. That would be really neat... in which case, pathtags are not quite the equal of geocoins... materials are cheaper... easier to design.... etc. I believe that this will create a heirarchy that will look something like

Geocoins> trackable items> travelbug/tag> pathtag> wooden nickels?

Neat topic... thanks for the brain food. We will soon see how it all turns out.

I believe that there are a hangover of geocoins, ... for different reasons and goals, it is part of the evolution in the world of geocoins... but it is also true that, as in nature, is most likely to survive the strongest, ie those made of metal, and some others ...I think.

But anyway, It doesn't matter, if don't like it, don't buy it :ph34r:

Precisely the world of geocoins has inspired me a design that I posted in the forum ... is like a drunken world ... drunken of geocoins! :lol::lol:

Hear, hear!

Yep... We like this idea. A geocoin is "minted" in our world... :)

I have asked for a new section, at lease in the forums, for come time now. I think we need another section called trackables...now how to define geocoin vs trackables. Let us start with made of metal but not an aluminum tag. How about, it has to fit in our pocket (no hub caps)?

Clay, glass, ceramic, fabric, leather, patches and a few other would all be considered trackables.

p.s. I think this might have started because geocaching.com use to add geocoin to every name of a trackable made except the TB. Now that has changed some.

I have asked for a new section, at lease in the forums, for come time now. I think we need another section called trackables...now how to define geocoin vs trackables. Let us start with made of metal but not an aluminum tag. How about, it has to fit in our pocket (no hub caps)?

Clay, glass, ceramic, fabric, leather, patches and a few other would all be considered trackables.

Several contradictions here though. Aluminum IS metal. Leather and Ceramic CAN be minted. Does tag mean "TB-like" or just shape?

So do we define by material, define by process used or define by a combination thereof? Should the community or the creator have the choice to choose a category? Who has the right to make the choice?

On a point of information can anyone tell me what is thew difference between the tracking code (found on the website) and a reference No on the Geocoin?

the Tracking code is a secret only to be used by those players who have actually handled the trackable item.

The reference number is one that cannot be use to log movements, but is a way to share the home page of the trackable item, and refer to it in public discussions.

My personal opinion...

* Geocoins are more or less flat (large area : height ratio)

* Geocoins make their own statement - they don't have/need a chain to attach other stuff - they are prepared to travel alone. (I'm not talking about notes stating the mission of the coin, those don't take anything away from the coin.)

I guess my personal definition excludes travel tags, but also certain items that are currently defined as geocoins.

Short answer to the heart of your question....

is the term "geocoin" a blanket name for anything trackable these days?

Yes, unless it's a Travel Bug.

Funny, since I believe "coin" is much more precisely defined than "bug". Bugs come in all sizes and shapes, right?

Do you think this will to define lots of things as "geocoins" has to do with the icons? Would there be that many "geocoins" if travel bugs could have unique icons (as the travel tags do)?

Short answer to the heart of your question....

is the term "geocoin" a blanket name for anything trackable these days?

Yes, unless it's a Travel Bug.

Funny, since I believe "coin" is much more precisely defined than "bug". Bugs come in all sizes and shapes, right?

Do you think this will to define lots of things as "geocoins" has to do with the icons? Would there be that many "geocoins" if travel bugs could have unique icons (as the travel tags do)?

"Travel Bug" is the name of the tag. Whatever it gets attached to is not part of the definition.I'll bet you could get your own Icon for a batch of TBs if you wanted to buy enough of them, and pay for it. Jeep, Diabetes, Etc....

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I'm talking about real life bugs! ;) Butterflies, caterpillars, flies, etc. Real life coins, on the other hand, are much more similar.

That's why I question the fact that geocoins are much more versatile than travel bug tags (dog tags, travel tags, etc).

Some have said that they consider a "Geocoin" to be so when it is "minted".

Websters defines minted as"

"to make (as coins) out of metal"

Coins is defined as:

"1 : a usually flat piece of metal issued by governmental authority as money

2 : something resembling a coin especially in shape

2 : something having two different and usually opposing sides —usually used in the phrase the other side of the coin"

So in my option I would define a Geocoin as:

"An object that has a coin like shape/appearance, has two different opposing sides, and is either die struck or die cast out of metal."

That still leaves a lot of room for interpretation of course.

My UFO Geocoin could be an example of interpretation. It has a coin like shape, the sides (or top and bottom) are different, and its die cast out of metal. The only difference is that it’s comprised of 3 separately cast coins. So if you have coins attached to other coins is it still a coin or in it something new?

As far as I'm concerned, if it's not trackable then it's not a geocoin. I realize there's "non-trackable geocoins" around, but to me, being trackable is one of the core aspects of what makes something a geocoin.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's not trackable then it's not a geocoin. I realize there's "non-trackable geocoins" around, but to me, being trackable is one of the core aspects of what makes something a geocoin.

So.... You don't consider some of the original non-trackable personal coins.... Solely produced to be placed in geocaches .... As non-geocoins?

So.... You don't consider some of the original non-trackable personal coins.... Solely produced to be placed in geocaches .... As non-geocoins?

I'd consider them to be geocaching-related or geocaching-themed coins at most. Trade items, swag, signature items, signature coins, whatever. But not geocoins.

So we really need to make a distinction between the following;

• Tags (like travel bugs)
  • Patches
  • Geocoins
  • Other Trackables (not defined above)
  • Other Non-Trackables (not defined above)

Atwell Family defines them as follows but reserves the right to modify definition.

• Tags - I would put anything like a dog tag in this category. Material and thicness being the major characteristics. Shape would or would not be, mostly printed but not always.
  • Patches - Obvious
  • Geocoins - stamped or die struck with for the most part enamel filled areas. Trackable or not, geocaching related if not trackable (can't just be some random coin.
  • Other Trackables - as I said above, any trackable not defined above.
  • Other Non-Trackables - Simply put...swag!

Take your own shot at how to carve out the others from geocoins

Interesting read so far as many of us discussed this same topic (heatedly) many years ago. It's interesting to see the evolution of the terms and ideas, as well as the "some things never change" points of view.

yeah, if everybody had that "some things never change" attitude, we would still think playing pong on an Atari was the collest thing since sliced bread and geocaching would be called "orienteering"!

At some point this issue is going to have to be addressed by Groundspeak. And because they don't have a 'pro-active' approach to things, it seems the only way to get them to "oil the hinges on the hampster wheels", so to speak, is to make them to squeek! As long as we accept the blanket term "geocoins"as it is, to descibe all trackable items, nothing is ever going to change. It seems now may be as good a time as any to make some slight changes to groundspeaks glossary of terms for hitchhikers/ trackables/ geocoins/ travel tags/ and swag in general.

My personal opinion...

* Geocoins are more or less flat (large area : height ratio)

* Geocoins make their own statement - they don't have/need a chain to attach other stuff - they are prepared to travel alone. (I'm not talking about notes stating the mission of the coin, those don't take anything away from the coin.)

I guess my personal definition excludes travel tags, but also certain items that are currently defined as geocoins.

I like! :)

How about this...any tradeable piece of metal or Delft Blaauw ceramic that fits in a 3" or less plastic flip?

So you aren't including the Mega geocoin which is 5" diameter?

I guess you can display it on your trackable t-shirt. Otherwise you would have to invest in a special flip or a special coin page for your storage notebook. Maybe someday there will be a trackable geocaching hat that has a visible storage space for a Mega coin?

Edited by Tennessee Jed

Interesting read so far as many of us discussed this same topic (heatedly) many years ago. It's interesting to see the evolution of the terms and ideas, as well as the "some things never change" points of view.

:laughing: It is really. The terms alone suggest that we've evolved just by the fact that we all seem to understand that first there is an issue and that second we actually understand all these terms. We've come a long way baby! lol

I still pose the question though. Even if we could get TPTB to give us a category or two more, who makes the call on what category an item fits in since we're obviously not all going to agree unanimously? :unsure:

My thought is to leave this forum as described in the main Geocaching Hitchhikers forum, "Talk about trackable and oh-so-collectible Geocoins." Threads like "Trading, Wants and Offers," "Coin Contests," "Missions," "Mailbox," "Favorites," etc... could stay in this thread. But sales of any trackable items (including geocoins) could have a completely separate forum like "Trackables for Sale."

evolution is inevitable...

although it is in dire need, overhauling and re-catagorizing the forums is a totally different subject. I'm talking about the way trackables are catagorized... every piece of trackable swag these days is dubbed a "geocoin"

<sarcasm>

I'm thinking of making some edible "geocoin" cookies... or making disposable "geocoin" CITO bags for CITO events... the possiblities of "geocoins" is endless... anything goes!

</sarcasm>

sorry, I just don't get how these new trackables like the chech leather and chech cloth TRACKABLE SWAG can be considered as a geocoin... but to understand why that is, we must back up and ask how the alluminum TRAVEL TAGS get considered as geocoins as well...

as far as who says what is what.... I'm sure there is at least one competent lackey around that can be assigned the task... who approves the artwork and icons? ...have them make a decision... if the owner disagrees they can appeal the decision... making a decision is better than letting it build into a cluster ---- nobody wants to deal with.... It's not going to go away by ignoring it either...

trackables are a huge part of geocaching, as geocaching grows, so do trackables.... by not allowing trackables to grow out of the "geocoin" catagory, people lose a sense of exactly what a geocoin is... is it a dogtag or piece of cloth or leather? under the current system...yes, should they be... no

the need is there to make some changes, the desire to do so is what is lacking.... I'm not sure if it's a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type thing, but it will have to be addressed by someone at some point... if not, soon common washers and nuts will have tracking codes and we'll be calling them "geocoins"

Part of The problem has to do with marketing. If I were to buy 250 tracking numbers with a icon and embroider the numbers on the back of underwear, where would I market them in the forums? I don't think the travel bug forum is open to marketing and I don't believe Groundspeak could prevent me from promoting numbers I purchased from them, for whatever reason. I think I would call them 'geocoins.' :blink:

Edited by Tennessee Jed

under the current blanket catagorizing of geocaching trackables...

65fa0920-bc4b-41c8-a3f0-496b0033b936.jpg577e06ab-0803-4912-b194-86958cdf5bb4.jpg

my personal Nomads are considered geocoins. They are trackable and have a unique icon on GC.com

They are not metal,clay,glass,leather or cloth so I guess they classify more as a personal trackable because of the PVC plastic material they are made of.

BTW, soon metal coins very simular to this design will also start circulating and they also will be trackable with a unique icon, so technically although the designs are simular, the materials to make them are very different, so calling them both "geocoins" could become "coin" fusing....

I believe that they named the geocoins ...geocoins because they looked like coins.... round with designs in both sides etc... they were different from tags TB's or what ever existed!

Who knows if they were thinking to name them... geomedals... :D

You know... most of the words we use everyday were named like that because of their use in the ancient times... or because they reminded us something else!

for example.... porcelain.... do you know from where it comes from? when europeans (I think... italians..) first saw the china porcelain things... and touched them... they are so perfect that reminded them (I know that this will sound crazy!) the little pigs! Porce in italian or latin... :D

In greece we had Drachmas... and We call the bank... TRAPEZA do you know from where these come from?

Drachma comes from the word drato that means hold in my hand! it's ancient greek ok? :) the first curency was obolus... which were exactly what obolus is.... the iron sticks ancients used to cook meat... skewers! they were big enough and long enough so you could put a lamp on them.. and cook it in the fire... A human hand could hold only 6 of them! so... this was a drachma! and 6 obols that later were turned into a small silver coin (in modern greece in the 1800's it was a copper one..)was equal to 1/6th of a drachma!

Trapeza.... comes from the table (trapezi)! that is because ancients used to make all deals and exchange of currencies of the cities (each city had her own coins...), on a table near the temples, or in the agora... market! (agora means... buying! :D )...

most probably something like that happent to geocoins! they looked like coins and they were named like that! nowdays that we have many different shaped ones.... they can still be called coins.... just because... even the real coins are not all round!! Do you remember the geoguitars??? believe it or not... there are coins from Somalia... comemorative ones in the shape of guitars! :laughing: but even in normal circulation.... not all are round! there are many different shapes in coins....

of course... there must be a seperation from tags... and from 3D trackable items... like tiny statues with tracking number! that is what I believe! :D

edit to mention that it doesn't matter the material they are made.... even real coins... (no matter if they are commemorative or not.... they are still legal tender...) are made of metal! there are wooden coins, acrylic coins... and in hard times... there were even cardboard or paper coins.... coins from porcelain or teracotta, coins made out of plastic,leather, coins mede out of coal..... just like some geocoins! ;)

imagine that even banknotes exist (except from paper and polymer) in cardboard, aluminium foil, gold foil or silver, silk, linen, leather, velvet.... (these are mostly in notgelds of Germany from 1919-1923)so....

Edited by GATOULIS
for example.... porcelain.... do you know from where it comes from? when europeans (I think... italians..) first saw the china porcelain things... and touched them... they are so perfect that reminded them (I know that this will sound crazy!) the little pigs! Porce in italian or latin... :D

Ah, well, you're almost right. It's got nothing to do with pigs, but rather with a type of sea shell that the old Italians called porcellana and that somewhat resembles porcelain. It's known in English as Cowry shell.

Edited by dfx

Ah, well, you're almost right. It's got nothing to do with pigs, but rather with a type of sea shell that the old Italians called porcellana and that somewhat resembles porcelain. It's known in English as Cowry shell.

hahahaha these shells used to be money in some countries.... but they were called porcelana... as we call them in greece... gourounakia! it means little pigs! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: they are fat and smooth like pigs...

I love these shells! :D I have some in my collection that they were used as money! now they are used in ceremoniew in Africa India, Maldives... and of course in traditional artifacts...