First geocache in UK?

I'm preparing a poster about geocaching and natural history for a natural history society conversazione - in a county covered by a Wildlife Trust which does not permit any caches on its land. I work as a ranger for a local organisation which owns 2 large areas, a park and a reserve, with a total of 10 caches (1 of which is archived) in or near our land, all placed in consultation with rangers. So, I am attempting to show that, with care and consideration, caching can be compatible with nature history conservation, as well as being a useful way to attract people to certain areas and to log visits.

I've included a very short section on history of geocaching, and would like to include a statement about when / where the first cache was placed in UK (or England, but as a Briton with English, Scottish & Welsh grandparents, and I've lived in Northern Ireland, I prefer to keep things on a UK basis). As UK has less than the essential 3 letters for many internet searches, I am having problems finding the answer to my question, so I wondered if anyone here could help? Many thanks.

Many thanks Mad H@ter - just what I needed to know. I'm not expecting to change opinions with my poster, but a bit of awareness raising might help - we're in the land of WT for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire & Peterborough.

Several Wildlife Trusts do allow placements of caches on their land, with consultation (list obtained from http://www.gagb.co.uk/gagb/glad/index.php)

• Essex Wildlife Trust

• Hampshire & Isle of Wight WT

• Kent Wildlife Trust

• Shropshire Wildlife Trust

• Staffordshire Wildlife Trust

As a country park / countryside reserve ranger, I completely understand that caches in some reserves may be totally unsuitable, while in other reserves ,there may be areas where caches could be placed found without damage to natural world.

Hijacking thread slightly...

One of the earliest was the "Mole Bowl Cache" on the River Mole... please could someone send me a link to the archived page... I'm pretty convinced I did this cache 10 years before returning to geocaching. I have no record of how I got the details but I do remember the camera in the cache and the challenging time finding it during the days of SA.

Thanks

MrA

No worries... Found it... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e427fe9c-5a2c-4793-8654-1b287da60900&log=y&decrypt=

Edited by TheAardvarkFamily

Many thanks Mad H@ter - just what I needed to know. I'm not expecting to change opinions with my poster, but a bit of awareness raising might help - we're in the land of WT for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire & Peterborough.

Several Wildlife Trusts do allow placements of caches on their land, with consultation (list obtained from http://www.gagb.co.uk/gagb/glad/index.php)

• Essex Wildlife Trust

• Hampshire & Isle of Wight WT

• Kent Wildlife Trust

• Shropshire Wildlife Trust

• Staffordshire Wildlife Trust

As a country park / countryside reserve ranger, I completely understand that caches in some reserves may be totally unsuitable, while in other reserves ,there may be areas where caches could be placed found without damage to natural world.

I have had dealings with the WT in Cambridge etc with little success - they won't even consider caches on their land - even when the caches are just off public footpaths around Cambourne near their headquarters.

I don't supposed it helped that they had just discovered 30+ caches on their various properties - placed without permission. <_<:unsure:<_<

It might be worth speaking the the National Trust - they have now started setting up their own caches on Brean Down in Somerset. Individuals have had their own caches on there for a while, but understand that the NT has asked for them to be archived so they can set up and manage their own.

I'm not sure if this is because of fears of damage to the Down by cachers (so pulling it all under their control they can manage it and remove/re-site them as needed), or whether they want to use geocaching as a promotional tool - I think at least partly the latter, as there was a geocaching event there last month.

If you do a search for caches on Brean Down, you'll be able to email them through their username, which is something obvious like "National Trust at Brean Down".

Individuals have had their own caches on there for a while, but understand that the NT has asked for them to be archived so they can set up and manage their own.

I'm not sure if this is because of fears of damage to the Down by cachers (so pulling it all under their control they can manage it and remove/re-site them as needed), or whether they want to use geocaching as a promotional tool - I think at least partly the latter, as there was a geocaching event there last month.

The National Trust asked for caches 'That didn't have permission' to be removed, so they didn't come into conflict with caches they wanted to place.

Reviewer Deci did give some warning for cachers to go and ask for permission, if their cache was on NT land, as he was advised by the NT before it all happened -I think.

Ah right, that makes sense. I haven't even done any caches on Brean Down yet (the day I'd planned to, I wasn't feeling well so didn't go). Apologies I only had part of the story, but it still may be worth the OP contacting them about their policy on caches, as presumably some of the issues are similar.

National Trust are rather supportive of caching, and have an agreement based on the GAGB guidelines

National Trust HQ(England, Wales and Northern Ireland)

Permission to Cache

Contact the local Warden through the Regional Offices

Geocacher contact

Dave Edwards (The Wombles)

Description

The agreement sets the principles which apply to geocaching on National Trust land and states:

* "We welcome geocaching on our land provided caches are sited responsibly"

* “Permission to site a cache will only be denied where the site is not suitable and in most cases an appropriate alternative will be found.”

Caches must be placed in accordance with GAGB guidelines.

Caches must be placed with respect to the sensitive nature of National Trust properties and in such a way to avoid damage eg not placed where a searcher could cause damage through their search

1.Cacher visits the potential geocache location and records OS coordinates, description of location via landmarks and “walk-in” description of how to find it.

2.Cacher contacts the Property direct (if possible) and requests permission

3.Alternatively, cacher contacts the Regional office (contact details here) with the name/details of the property where they wish to place a cache and the details of the proposed cache location.

4.National Trust will advise if cache would be in a suitable location (or if property is suitable for a cache).

5.Permission will be granted by letter.

May be seen here in full