Navigating to caches. Yet another one of Coldgears test/quiz... JOIN IN!

Yep, my third one, let's see how popular this gets.

Okay, this is a question to all those geocachers out there. How hard is it to navigate to caches? I mean, are you short on interstates and highways, and have to take slow backroads, or go 15 miles out of the way because there is no road? Or are you covered with interstates and highways?

For me, I can get anywhere within minutes, if I want to get to anywhere in philadelphia, it's at most a 20 minutes drive (I live near the top edge of philadelphia) the whole city is only 20 miles long, and the speed limit of I-95 is 60 MPH.

Anyway, here's the format for you to fill out.

North:

Northeast:

East:

Southeast:

South:

Southwest:

west:

northwest:

Here is an example of mine. (If the *best* way north is like 5 miles east/west before you can go north then just write the way north and forget about the 5 miles that probably only takes a 10 or so minute drive first. Use this trend for all)

North: PA Route 611 usually lots some parts have lots of traffic, and there is lights on this road. plenty of good caches and caching to be done this way.

Northwest: PA Turnpike Northeast Extension, 60 MPH no lights. plenty of good caches and caching to be done this way.

East: Almost impossible to go direct east from me, almost all backroads, and it's pretty much forest. I could go east from a point 10 miles from me but once again due to New Jersey having sooo much forest, the only reason to go that way is to go to a beach (This time Seaside Heights. and not wildwood/cape may)

Southeast: I-95 until you reach the bottom of philadelphia, at which point you can take Route 55 through New Jersey (I rarely ever go straight south in new jersey, if I'm going that direction it's to wildwood/cape may beaches and there is faster ways for that)

South: ^Exact same as above only reason to go south/southeast is for the beaches, I don't like caching in forest. plenty of good caches and caching to be done this way until I-95 ends and the near endless New Jersey forest starts

Southwest: I-95 no lights and 60 MPH, turns southwest at the end of philadelphia.plenty of good caches and caching to be done this way.

west: PA turnpike 60 MPH no lights, plenty of good caches and caching to be done this way.

northeast: I-95 straight to new york, plenty of good caches and caching to be done this way.

In summary I can go NorthEast, NorthWest, North, South (until bottom of philadelphia), West, SouthWest and have a fun time caching, but there are not as many roads going east and most of the variations of east (Southeast, northeast) are terrible due to lack of major highways/roads, and being nearly all forest lands.

Keep in mind, I'm doing this because I LOVE to read about other people's caching situation (else I wouldn't do all these tests), I DO read every one of the responses on my threads, so I'd rather you post a post that is not in depth (as in just roads and not information on the roads) then not posting at all.

North - Interstate and highways. Piece of cake.

Northeast - Big hills that you can see plain as day from town, but for some strange reason you have to go all the way around to the back side in order to access them (by foot or by car) - the roads are gravel, steep, pot-holed and clearly not designed for Volvos (but never underestimate where a Volvo can go with a geocacher behind the wheel). :D

East - Another town immediately to the east - easy access by foot/car/bike.

Southeast - Interstate. No prob.

South - Big hill, but at least they were thinking Volvo when they made the road to the trailhead.

Southwest - Low cache density, mostly rural privately-owned land with winding country roads. Great place to ride a motorcycle. Too bad I have a Volvo (car, that is...does Volvo even make motorcycles?)

West and Northwest - Highway through a forest. Lots of great hike-in caches and plenty of anti-Volvo roads.

It's not so easy to simply classify New Zealand in eight directions, there is so much varying terrain.

North - Mostly just sea and a bit of land. We have to go Southwest and then East for about 3km before we can go North!

Northeast - Coastal areas with towns that get progressively more mountainous until you reach peaks 1000-1500+ metres in height!

East - The suburb of Whitby followed by small rolling grassy farmland hills that don't reach more than 400 metres in height, followed by the towns in Hutt Valley, followed by the Rimutaka Ranges with 1km+ peaks, followed by the flat warm, sunny plains of the Wairarapa!

Southeast - Belmont Regional Park, the Lower Hutt Valley, Wellington harbour then the southern reaches of the Rimutaka Ranges, before out to sea for good!

South - Various satellite towns around Wellington City, and the CBD, before you reach the 20-100km wide Cook Strait (very windy, 100km/h winds near constantly). Following that is the South Island of NZ.

Southwest - 2km of land, then the Cook Strait, then the Marlborough sounds of the South Island

West - 1km of land, a sandy beach and bay, then the Cook Strait followed by the upper reaches of the Marlborough Sounds, then onwards past the Tasman Sea, 3000km to Australia.

Northwest - Sea, sea, sea!

:lol:

North: A 5 minute ride to I-287 and from there the NYS Thruway, I-95 and many other options.

Northeast: Secondary roads that aren't too bad, except rush hour. Not too many caches that interest me in that direction however.

East: A quick drive to Route 23 (which technically goes north/south) but takes me east around here. Things get built up as one drives east, so it's not particularly appealing caching territory for me.

Southeast: Southeast is all backroads. Depending on the destination it's usually quicker to go south, then east on I-80. Some good caching spots to the southeast if you don't drive too far. After a few miles you start getting urban.

South: I-287 in the other direction. I don't cache much to the south. It's more urban. There are some exceptions though.

Southwest: Winding back roads. Actually a very nice ride through farms and woods. Great caching around here.

west: Some big, heavily forested hills with few trails, several large reservoirs and a strip of private property in between make a cache that is 6 miles as the crow flies from my house into a 25 minute drive just to get to parking. Wonderful area to cache in.

northwest: Hop on Route 23 to some of the finest caching in the region.

Edited by briansnat

I'm right where I want to be.

North: Two lane road for 2.5 miles @ 30 mph max. Anything further requires a boat.

Northeast: Two lane road for 2 miles @ 30 mph max. Anything further requires a boat.

East: Two lane road for 100 miles to the mainland. Minimum travel time 2 hours.

Southeast: Two lane road for 2 miles @ 30 mph max. Anything further requires a boat.

South: Two lane road for 2.5 miles @ 30 mph max. Anything further requires a boat. 90 miles to Cuba.

Southwest: Two lane road for 2 miles @ 30 mph max. Anything further requires a boat.

west: Two lane road for 30 miles. Minimum travel time 1 hour. Anything further requires a boat.

northwest: Boat required.

I love boat caching.