Homemade Travel Bug

Vieh96

Is it possible to make your own TB rather than purchasing one? If yes, how do I go about getting a TB number?

When you buy the TB, what you are actually buying is the number--and the lifetime service of tracking the travels of whatever that number is on. You can put the number on anything you want--but only ONE thing at a time.

And, if it doesn't have the tag, or a picture of the tag/scarab be prepared for people to not know it's a trackable TB!

You got that right. When I scan the interior of a cache I look for the dog tag. I would probably miss a TB that didn't have one.

I guess you must miss a lot of coins then too.

I look somewhat more carefully if there are any trackables logged into the cache than if there are none.

I would like some help with this as well please. We have had some swag made by a local potter who had made little tiles with our logo and numbered them for us. While we intended them as Swag but they look so great and are numbered individually we wondered if we could use them as travel bugs...They are fired ceramic so it would be difficult to attach a tag although I agree with earlier postings, it is easier to 'see' bugs with a tag. We could do what some people do with coins and put them in a plastic pouch with a note explaining what they are...it is just how to log them...

Thank you in anticipation.

I would like some help with this as well please. We have had some swag made by a local potter who had made little tiles with our logo and numbered them for us. While we intended them as Swag but they look so great and are numbered individually we wondered if we could use them as travel bugs...They are fired ceramic so it would be difficult to attach a tag although I agree with earlier postings, it is easier to 'see' bugs with a tag. We could do what some people do with coins and put them in a plastic pouch with a note explaining what they are...it is just how to log them...

They sound like they would be a nice thing to use as a signature item. Although you say they are numbered, they won't be able to be logged and tracked through this site unless they have a proper travel bug tag attached to them - maybe your potter friend could make you a few extra with holes in them?

The only other way to get them "tracked" would be to put a note with each one asking finders to email you through your geocaching profile if they find the item somewhere but it's likely that few people will bother to do so and you probably won't get any full record of the item's travels.

MrsB :)

Part of what you may be "missing" with this concept is that selling travel bugs (the tags or the numbers -- it's the same thing) is part of Groundspeak's income. It does cost to provide the tracking capabilities, mapping programs, page space -- quite an infrastructure if you think about it.

Selling the numbers in block sales may seem prohibitive to the individual that wishes to buy one. But on the other hand, the concept of selling them one-at-a-time would probably be self defeating and cost the "business" far more than it is worth.

That said -- you CAN purchase a standard, single TB tag (as normal) and utilize the number in most anyway you see fit (assuming that you don't violate some copyright logo or symbol). A common fault, however, is that some purchase ONE and send out MANY. A no-no and can result in your purchased TB locked down and unusable.

I bet they do look great, which is why they would make poor TBs. You don't want to release something really cool that you don't want someone to keep. You spend your money on the tracking number and someone would prefer to keep the attached traveler.

Set them up as signature items that people can collect and you'll have people going out of their way to find them. I'd have to say that signature items make people more popular/well-known than any travel bug I've seen released.

Edited by BlueDeuce

If you want to buy blocks of numbers, please read the pinned thread in the geocoin forums called Groundspeak's Current Geocoin Policy. Designs must be approved by Groundspeak, if they are going to be tracked on geocaching.com. More information can be found in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books.