Mapping another users hidden caches easily...

Hopefully the Title actually makes sense! Is it possible easily? or would i have to make a bookmark list and PQ??

Reason i ask is that there are a couple of cachers locally that others have said are great hiders etc.. so id like to simply map all the caches they have hidden..

Any ideas?

Something like this?

SaxHides.png

It was surprisingly difficult to get all the hides onto one map due to the distances involved, so I took the California ones and just made an inset area. To get the PQ data I bookmarked all of my caches (even the archived ones) and created a PQ from it. I clicked to display the PQ on the map then switched to the new beta map, disabled all cache types and selected hybrid view. The same technique can be used to map someone else's caches.

Go to the user profile, click Geocaches, click All Geocache Hides, click the Check All checkbox, click Download waypoints to get the LOC file. Open the LOC file in Google Earth.

This is a good way. Another is to download a pocket query to GSAK and filter by the username that hid it and then save the results and open them in a map. Your way is probably easier except if there are multiple pages of hidden caches, it might take a little while to download them all...

Go to the user profile, click Geocaches, click All Geocache Hides, click the Check All checkbox, click Download waypoints to get the LOC file. Open the LOC file in Google Earth.

That only works for max 20 caches at a time, doesn't it?

Another is to download a pocket query to GSAK and filter by the username that hid it and then save the results and open them in a map.

That's assuming 1) the person is actually a GSAK user, and 2) all the CO's hides fit into one PQ.

Edited by dfx
2) all the CO's hides fit into one PQ.

Who has more then 1,000 hides?!?!? :o :o :o :o :o :o

Well, there is a few, but that wasn't my point. You can't create a PQ based on "hidden by" username. You can create a PQ based on area, or based on "date hidden". Neither will guarantee that you catch all of somebody's hides.

You can't create a PQ based on "hidden by" username.

I never knew that! Then, again, I never had a reason to run that kind of pocket query...

Yeah, why would you ever need to anyway? ...

I never knew that! Then, again, I never had a reason to run that kind of pocket query...

very simple, because some cachers have great hides and i would like to do them all

very simple, because some cachers have great hides and i would like to do them all

Yeah, I already posted that... up there ...

Many of my caches are multis from CO to AZ and a map would only show you where they start. I'm not about to let out all of the secrets.

what's that got to do with the OP's question? :unsure:

Try doing a pocket query for that distance! You will need to do multiple queries to get all of their caches, since they are spread out over such a great distance.

John

See my post on creating a PQ from a bookmark list earlier.