Garmin Announces GPSMAP 62 Series with Camera

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2011/06/hike-down-geotagged-memory-lane-with-gpsmap-62s-built-in-camera.html

Looks like the 62 will be available with a 5mp Camera, in 3rd Quarter of this year.

Yikes... 3 models of Montana (new line), 3 models of eTrex, the Rino, and now this. Garmin sure is on a roll with new models. Wonder if they're updating the Oregon line as well - not that I can think of any incremental improvement for that one.

Any idea what's the resolution on the screen? Same as existing models?

Edited by Chrysalides
Wonder if they're updating the Oregon line as well - not that I can think of any incremental improvement for that one.

I can, Portrait/Landscape like your old "Montana". Should be able to do it with a firmware upgrade, all the hardware needed is on-board.

Doesn't the Montana have an accelerometer to tell when the unit is turned sideways? I was not aware the Oregons have it built in.

Wonder if they're updating the Oregon line as well - not that I can think of any incremental improvement for that one.

I can, Portrait/Landscape like your old "Montana". Should be able to do it with a firmware upgrade, all the hardware needed is on-board.

Doesn't the Montana have an accelerometer to tell when the unit is turned sideways? I was not aware the Oregons have it built in.

Good point, MtnHermit. But the chances of Garmin implementing new features on old hardware is not good - unless it helps them sell other hardware (like Chirp).

No accelerometer on the Oregons that I know of, but I wouldn't mind toggling between landscape and portrait manually. In fact, it might be less frustrating that way.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there'll be a slightly newer Oregon with a 5 MP camera.

Edited by Chrysalides

It was always my thought that the Oregon 550 does have an accelerometer since you can take pictures in either aspect in camera mode depending on how you hold the unit.

My prediction is that Garmin, after the rollout of just about an entire new line of everything, will slow down for a while. My guess is that the past few years have been building for this one week. The Colorado, Oregon x00, all the way up to the Dakota, was a huge market experiment from which they profited from the whole time. Refining the products (improved screens in later Oregon 550 models, squeak fixing the 62, small changes in seals, covers and latches etc.) as they go.

The previous paragraph is pure speculation based on nothing but my opinion.

It was always my thought that the Oregon 550 does have an accelerometer since you can take pictures in either aspect in camera mode depending on how you hold the unit.

I think at least both x50 models have an accelerometer. Switch to the compass screen and turn the unit sideways - the compass rose will rotate to accomodate for that. At least I think that only works reliably with an accelerometer, but I could be wrong.

I know the camera on the Oregon 550 automatically detects landscape/portrait mode, the only one it doesn't like is upside down.

Personally I thought the rotation was just part of the compass, it knows what angle the GPS is been held at, no need for an accelerometer.

I know the camera on the Oregon 550 automatically detects landscape/portrait mode, the only one it doesn't like is upside down.

Personally I thought the rotation was just part of the compass, it knows what angle the GPS is been held at, no need for an accelerometer.

If it knows what angle the GPS is being held at, it must use an accelerometer.

Or...if it's some non-accelerometer function of the compass, it's still sufficient to tell the GPS when to switch between landscape and portrait modes :):)

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2011/06/hike-down-geotagged-memory-lane-with-gpsmap-62s-built-in-camera.html

Looks like the 62 will be available with a 5mp Camera, in 3rd Quarter of this year.

Yikes... 3 models of Montana (new line), 3 models of eTrex, the Rino, and now this. Garmin sure is on a roll with new models. Wonder if they're updating the Oregon line as well - not that I can think of any incremental improvement for that one.

Any idea what's the resolution on the screen? Same as existing models?

Aren't they a publicly listed company? Hmmmmm.....never really played the stock market.....

The compass helps it to know which way is north and which is south, but it won't tell it which way is up and which is down.