Android?

foxtrot_xray

Another quick update for those beta'ing for me -

No update on the deleted stations and filtering them out.

The next release will have some added features to the datasheet page:

1. Split view - you can pull up a map, hard-coded to be centered on the station you're looking at.

sheet_split.png

2. Context menu shows new options. Option #2 ("Notes") is not implemented yet, and option #3 ("Track") will fire an intent to track you to the selected station.

sheet_options.png

3. Option #1 ("Photo"), IF you have advanced camera option ON, will show you the photo page. It'll show you what images of the station you've already taken, and allow you to take another.

sheet_photograph.png

Photographs, and Notes, when implemented, will all be stored on the SD card, under the subdirectory "BenchMap\[PID]\".

An update of work made (available for everyone to read - even those not in the beta):

Version 0.60 will soon be out.

The biggest thing is that NON-PUBLISHABLE STATIONS will now NOT be displayed! (Unless you decide otherwise.)

New things since my last post on the 5th of September -

- Now you can manually enter in a PID to see its datasheet and/or take photos.

- Menu options on the Datasheet page now allows you to open a URl to the GeoCaching page, if you want.

- App Preferences - now you can set some app preferences how you like.

- Stations now have unique icons - so you can tell the difference between a horizontal and vertical order (or both) station.

- GeoLocation search - you can search the map for a location (Cherokee County, Georgia), OR a PID (EE0015), and the map will zoom there.

- Filter stations displayed by type/order and stability (a la Datasheet searches at the NGS website)

- Tested working on ICS with hardware graphics acceleration.

The only things left, that won't be in 0.0.60, are:

- App graphics

- Redesign of controls on main map page needed.

- Scale bar distance fixed.

Cheers all -

Mike.

Edited by foxtrot_xray

This is what I get for staying off the forums for about a year. I want in, how do I get the beta.

I have a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) running 2.2. Unless the beta is in the market I won't be able to load it without rooting, AT&T has non-market apps blocked "for my security". LOL

Drop me an email at the address in the first post. And that's correct - it's not on the market yet, sorry. There were a few AT&T folks that didn't have rooted phones to enable side-loading.

--Mike.

This is what I get for staying off the forums for about a year. I want in, how do I get the beta.

I have a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) running 2.2. Unless the beta is in the market I won't be able to load it without rooting, AT&T has non-market apps blocked "for my security". LOL

Drop me an email at the address in the first post. And that's correct - it's not on the market yet, sorry. There were a few AT&T folks that didn't have rooted phones to enable side-loading.

--Mike.

Didn't see an email addy on first post, sent one to addy on your public profile.

My specs:

Carrier: Verizon

Device: Droid Incredible 2

Android: Any version, rooted and can load whatever I want

I am searching for "BenchMap". I have been led here. ??

I have a Droid X2, and I use C:geo for geocaching, I like the "nearby" function that allows me to find them spontaneously wherever I am at the moment. I have been finding geological survey markers by accident and I would like to have the BenchMap software on my phone so that I find them "nearby" also.

I understand that it is in beta-phase.

rdraley@gmail.com

Thank you.

That would be awesome. I use your other benchmark program and it is awesome. I am currently deployed at the moment though, but could give it a shot on my Nook Color.

That would be interesting, since HW specs for the Nook are limited (compared to a phone).

FTXR

If you ever decide to attempt to make this work on a Nook Mrs. TillaMurphs would love to be a tester. That bigger screen is sure easier on the eyes than a phone.

Thanks

Does the Nook have GPS? I have a Kindle fire and it does not. So while I might be able to side-load it to my Fire it wouldn't be too useful.

I have been using Benchmap on both a tablet (Motorola Xoom) and a phone (Motorola X2)and have found it very useful. I agree that the phone is a bit too small, but I also think the 10" tablet is too big. A 7" tablet might be the best size for being easy to carry but big enough to see well. Maybe Verizon will start carrying the Samsung Note soon.

Does the Nook have GPS? I have a Kindle fire and it does not. So while I might be able to side-load it to my Fire it wouldn't be too useful.

I have been using Benchmap on both a tablet (Motorola Xoom) and a phone (Motorola X2)and have found it very useful. I agree that the phone is a bit too small, but I also think the 10" tablet is too big. A 7" tablet might be the best size for being easy to carry but big enough to see well. Maybe Verizon will start carrying the Samsung Note soon.

Nook doesn't have GPS hardware. Though apparently (with rooted Nook and rooted Android phone) it's possible to use TetherGPS to use the phone's GPS hardware on the Nook.

FTXR

If you ever decide to attempt to make this work on a Nook Mrs. TillaMurphs would love to be a tester. That bigger screen is sure easier on the eyes than a phone.

Thanks

If you're already signed up for the beta, go download it and give it a whirl. The latest version has been tested on a (read: singular) tablet, and it looks and works fine. Not sure how the lack of a camera or GPS would carry the program, tho. Try it, and if it doesn't work, I'll get a bug report and can fix it, hopefully. :)

Hey all -

The app is almost ready to be put up on the Market, so that all folks can download it and use it. I'll post here when it's finally up, wanted to give everyone a heads up - specifically all the beta'ers, as they may have to uninstall their debugging current versions. :ph34r:

Also, on a similar yet different note, the Google Earth KML and the NGS site may go down over the next couple months. I'm moving servers and will be hosting the pages/data on my own server, so while transitions are made, expect downtime!

--Mike.

What's the ETA for this awesome benchmarking app? I'm definitely interested in beta-testing it unless an 'official' version will be out soon...? I benchmark frequently by looking for them on my topo map app (Trimble Navigator Pro) and seeing if any BMs show up wherever I'm at in my travels around Oregon. Having an actual Android app to also pick up the NGS BMs in my area would be icing on the cake!

Hey -

If anyone else wants to be in the beta, drop me an email! (If you sent me an email, and I never replied, please send it again, as I've been having mailbox issues. :()

It's ben a while since the last beta was released. Mainly because I bought a house this summer - so making it liveable, moving, and dealing with utilities, internet, and all that crap has taken a LOT of time! I have a new release coming soon, which will fix a few people's issues on the Map screen, as well as introduce a few new features. The next beta will probably be it before the app's on the market, however. I'm aiming around December for it being on the market.

Once it's on the market, more features will be added, some will be premium only. (The premium features are still being though out, so I really can't say anything about it, because I don't know yet.)

Thanks -

Mike.

Hey -

If anyone else wants to be in the beta, drop me an email! (If you sent me an email, and I never replied, please send it again, as I've been having mailbox issues. :()

It's ben a while since the last beta was released. Mainly because I bought a house this summer - so making it liveable, moving, and dealing with utilities, internet, and all that crap has taken a LOT of time! I have a new release coming soon, which will fix a few people's issues on the Map screen, as well as introduce a few new features. The next beta will probably be it before the app's on the market, however. I'm aiming around December for it being on the market.

Once it's on the market, more features will be added, some will be premium only. (The premium features are still being though out, so I really can't say anything about it, because I don't know yet.)

Thanks -

Mike.

Do you prefer feedback on the app emailed to you or posted on the forum?

Hey guys -

Just letting ya'll know that a semi-"big" release was just pushed to Google play - v1.1.0 - the feature that this release adds is being able to use a backup server (my server, which also feeds the Google earth KMZ), for cases when the NGS server is slow or down (like it will be tomorrow morning, 7/13.)

The benefits of using the backup server is speed - it's very fast compared to the NGS server, and having access to it when the NGS server's not responding. (Searching and Datasheet is STILL pulled from the NGS server, however! :( )

The downside is that the data is outdated - it's not a live rep of the database. At the moment it's a year old, but I'm updating it right now. Also, because my database stores stuff differently, some filters won't work. (i.e. If you select "CORS" only to filter on, you will get all stations. And searching for Destroyed Only will also give you all stations.)

Cheers -

Mike.