Team Yanagi Coin

yanagi

Oh well, where do I start?

Of course it has always been a dream to have our own personal coin. Besides the money it was also a lack of a good idea that held us back, until....

...yeah, until Avroair started his “What the Heck! Cointest”. Remember that? In the third question he asked: “When did you make your first personal coin? N/A if you haven't yet, why not?”. Why not? Why not? Why not? This questions stayed in my head from that moment on so Mark, if you read this thank you very very much for getting us started :)

I thought about how a yanagi coin should look like. I found the following features:

it should have a personal yanagi side and a more general side with a nice quote (we love good quotes!) that fits us

since the family is very important to us it should be a major theme of the coin

it should have some celtic knotwork (who does not like them!) since we love Ireland, visited it several times for holidays and have some really really great Irish friends (in fact the godmother of our son is Irish)

somehow the coin should be unique (at least in our eyes)

With that in mind I started to draw sketches which was not very easy as I am not a designer and not good in drawing at all. After a while I had the idea to use cutouts to symbolize the family and thought it would be a good idea. I also found a really nice quote: it seemed perfect for me to put on a geocoin because it represented perfectly the attitude of geocachers (especially coiners) and us. I experimented a lot and in the end I had a really rough picture to show and to discuss with a designer as this was still far away from artwork.

After contacting the minter to get a rough idea about the costs TMA recommended designers (Pete, thank you very much for this) and we were able to hire Chris Mackey to work with us. From that point on the real fun began. He immediately had the idea not to cutout the family members but to cut out the surroundings so you get a silhouette effect. With that everybody could look through the coin and see the family in the surrounding where he is – what a great idea! I can't tell you how much fun it was to work with him and to see our coin growing up.

Today we can proudly present the finished artwork. First I just wanted to show a teaser, a small part of the coin but I feel like a child that wants to show his new toy to the hole world :D:D:D:D But at least I want to keep the back side as a secret for now. Here is the yanagi side:

vorderseiteann6ch489ebz5.jpg

I've just ordered samples in different platings. After we will have decided which versions we would like to have it is planned to order 100 of them.

Just to make sure that everybody understood:

:D:D:D:D WE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO PROUD :D:D:D:D

Edited by Eartha

OOh My Gosh, This is the perfect and most beautiful I have seen in a very long time, not sure that if anyone knows this but we love rainbows and all the colors in a rainbow and when we had our geocoin made it has the same colors. I would love one of these when they are ready. Please mark me down for one. I have got to get one.

Your did a wonderful job.. Thumbs Up!

Sweetlife

OOh My Gosh, This is the perfect and most beautiful I have seen in a very long time, not sure that if anyone knows this but we love rainbows and all the colors in a rainbow and when we had our geocoin made it has the same colors. I would love one of these when they are ready. Please mark me down for one. I have got to get one.

Your did a wonderful job.. Thumbs Up!

Sweetlife

If you love rainbows then wait for the other side :ph34r::D

WOW!!! amazing design!!! that's a personal coin for sure!!! :D

when I saw it something came in my mind.. was.... well... I have no idea if this can be done... and of course it is your design etc...

but the 2 things that camein my mind were... the rainbow to be in gliter and the area with the knobs... to be in trans green like Ireland! :D

Your family to be in a shine silver when all the coin will be... in antique...

or... in case the knob area will stay in metal... to make the rainbow trans... and your family figures in satin silver...

thisi s a beautiful beautiful coin!!!! :D Welldone my friend!!! :D

That is a nice coin, can see why you're proud of it! Loving the cut out idea, haven't come across it before like this, and it will work so well. congratulations! Looking forward to seeing some photos (I hope! Maybe even hold one up to the English (or Welsh, Scottish or Irish) countryside one day! :)

Thank's everybody for the nice response!

Hope we can exchange coins someday :)

I hope so too! I followed your thread intensively because it was very interesting to see what happens when you are doing a personal coin :)

Can someone tell me what to do if I want to change the title of this thread? I want to start a cointest again...

Edited by yanagi

I hope so too! I followed your thread intensively because it was very interesting to see what happens when you are doing a personal coin :)

Can someone tell me what to do if I want to change the title of this thread? I want to start a cointest again...

:) I think you have to contect with Eartha or FSM....so they can change it... but I am not 100% sure.. :)

Just use the "report" button under one of your posts in this thread. The moderators will get the notification and will change the title for you.

I told you already that we love quotes, sayings or other meaningful sentences and that there will be a quote on the other side of our coin. So here is the cointest:

- post your favorite quotes, sayings and other meaningful sentences

- only one post per day per participant

- the cointest ends on the day when we have the samples in our hand

- at the end of the cointest my daughter will pick the winner randomly

- the winner will get one of our coins

- in case someone posts the quote that we used for the backside of the coin he will also win one of our coins

Good luck to everybody

Thomas

Does the quote have to do with the coin or whatever we like?

because I have a great ancient greek and a newer... that i love....

anyway... here is my first try and thank you so much for the cointest!!! :D

It is a funny one.... :)

Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

I love quotes. I have a whole collection of them. Let's see I'll try to pick one's that might in some way be related to geocaching. The first one that comes to mind is.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

Beautiful coin by the way. Someday I hope to have one for our team. I already know what I want, just don't have the money to do it. Have to try and pay the bills first.

Nice coin and nice cointest ! Thank you !

Here's a german quote :

"Der Klügere gibt nach! Eine traurige Wahrheit, sie begründet die Weltherrschaft der Dummheit." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)

In English :

"The cleverer gives way! A sad truth, it founds the world domination of the stupidity."

That is a really nice coin. You can tell how much effort, planning, & love was invested in it. You have every right to be proud.

One day we will have our own made, & when that day comes yours will surely be remembered as inspiration. We hope to trade with you when that happens.

Here is the quote we've chosen:

"To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while."  ~Josh Billings