good evening

Firstly apologies if new hellos aren't supposed to be in this section but wanted to stay within uk community for time being.

Started Geo caching just over a week ago with first find. Didn't do any after that for a week as was too busy with work but have had a couple of days off and found one a day this week.

Really enjoying it so far as it makes walking so much more fun. Not allowed to run any more because of a bad knee but the geocaching makes the walks so much more interesting.

Have set up a box with my own cache just need to go out and find a place for it now. This hobby quickly becomes fun and addictive doesn't it.

Using an iphone at the moment with the geocaching app but drains the battery very fast so may look at alternatives if i keep it up.

Anyway hi and good luck hunting to all

cheers

dan

(veroli)

I started with an iPhone, and have been made fun of since, but whatever gets you started right?

In any case I had a 3GS model, found the battery life drained really quickly (I used Motion X GPS to begin with - happy times!) but found that if you double tap the home button it will bring up a list of the open apps, tap and and hold an icon, after a few seconds they'll start to wobble - simply tap each one (to fully close and save battery life!) you don't want.

Apologies if this is old news, but it helped me!

Good luck, happy caching and don't forget if you see someone out and about you think is also a cacher you can use the universal cachers greeting (UCG) of sticking your arm in the air, with phone/gpsr attached, wave it about and shout "Go on, show us your GPS"

They all love it!(darfc)

Edited by rickardclan

Hi veroli,

Welcome to the sport, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Bear mentioned Chris's Follow the arrow web site. In particular you may wish you read the section on smart phones as iPhones are less accurate at placing caches as they are at finding them :).

Any questions feel free to post here or PM any of the reviewers.

Andy

Red Duster

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Thanks for the hi's

I will check out the guides for my own cache, was going to anyway and will check out some more caches first, but thought i would actually put together the cache in the meantime. The iphone 4 seems fine for starting but like you say drains the battery very quickly but will persevere with it for the time being.

happy hunting all.

dan

Good luck, happy caching and don't forget if you see someone out and about you think is also a cacher you can use the universal cachers greeting (UCG) of sticking your arm in the air, with phone/gpsr attached, wave it about and shout "Go on, show us your GPS"

They all love it!(darfc)

That is fantastic :) UCG - cant wait to give that a whirl! Im thinkin of making a tee shirt or getting my water proof jacket printed on with some sort of geocaching slogan as im sick of people looking at me like ive just come out of them woods after shooting up when really all ive been looking for is a nano hung on the tree :S

I think ive thought of a decent one "dont worry ppl im just a geocachaholic"

Thanks for the hi's

I will check out the guides for my own cache, was going to anyway and will check out some more caches first, but thought i would actually put together the cache in the meantime. The iphone 4 seems fine for starting but like you say drains the battery very quickly but will persevere with it for the time being.

happy hunting all.

dan

Hi buddy, welcome aboard! I too use the iphone 4 for caching but once you are more familiar with the whole process you will need to have the iphone 'on' for less time and you will find the battery lasts that bit longer.

I recently had the opportunity to borrow an actual GPSr unit so i could try it out before investing in one. i believe it was a Garmin Etrex Lengend H and it is fairly resonably priced at <£100. i am considering getting one (or similar) and using the 2 devices in tandem. (on a side note i actually didnt find the GPS device any more accurate than my iphone 4 when playing with them both - and in fact the etrex struggled in a small wooded area when my iphone didnt! - theres a can of worms in there somewhere but im not opening it really!)

We are looking into where we might place our first cache, but even at 37 finds we dont feel we know enough yet about the sport to jump in. thats not to say you cant plan ahead though!

im just starting to get my head around puzzle caches - these are genius adaptions of the game in my eyes and really rewarding when you work them out. i have cracked a few more recently, just need to make the time to go and hunt the cache out now i have coordinates!

C

Hello and welcome,

welcome to the addiction theres no cure for!

I have to agree with some of the above comments and wait till you have done a few caches before hiding one, I was over hundred finds before I started placing. (also I found that google earth can give you accurate co-ords when placing if you can pinpoint the location. I have actually zoomed right in on satelite view and counted fence railings to the exact spot of where I placed a cache)

Also I use a Garmin etrex h (about £80 when I bought mine) it is very accurate and the battery will last all day. Make sure you get the high senstivity one, thats what the `h` stands for. My brother got the cheaper one but it is nowhere as good. My smart phone comes along and is used in tandem for info and co-ords and checking past logs when i have trouble finding a cache. (the phone gps drains battery and is not quite as accurate so have it switched off, also switch off bluetooth and wifi to get the extra mileage).

However I do use the Phone on its own if I am on quick cache and dash or on a race to FTF :laughing:

Happy hunting.

Edited by Ocean67

I have to agree with some of the above comments and wait till you have done a few caches before hiding one, I was over hundred finds before I started placing. (also I found that google earth can give you accurate co-ords when placing if you can pinpoint the location. I have actually zoomed right in on satelite view and counted fence railings to the exact spot of where I placed a cache)

A local cache, viewed on Google, for which the coordinates on the cache page are good.

5141156834_3d4f69b940.jpg

The cache is NOT in the middle of the road!

The guidelines do say to use a GPS device to get the coordinates...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

A local cache, viewed on Google, for which the coordinates on the cache page are good.

5141156834_3d4f69b940.jpg

The cache is NOT in the middle of the road!

The guidelines do say to use a GPS device to get the coordinates...

Do I get a bonus point for knowing that is 'Freeview' in Stratford upon Avon???