More on the dipping discussion

scidawg

I know everyone is free to play the game in the way that they choose....but am I the only one who finds dipping thru 30, 40, 50 caches annoying? I will dip a bug thru a cache if I move it to another city, or help it achieve part of it's goal (visit state welcome centers, etc) but dipping it thru 25 micros on a power trail seems kinda silly to me and clutters up the log when you want to look at the travels of the bug. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

I know everyone is free to play the game in the way that they choose....but am I the only one who finds dipping thru 30, 40, 50 caches annoying? I will dip a bug thru a cache if I move it to another city, or help it achieve part of it's goal (visit state welcome centers, etc) but dipping it thru 25 micros on a power trail seems kinda silly to me and clutters up the log when you want to look at the travels of the bug. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

yep I agree! when you want to read the TB's log page...its just full of boring dips! cant see the point really. why not just dip it in the last one?

Its quite nice to dip a bug in a special kind of cache and take a foto of it there. that has more meaning and shows it was really there!

like the top of a mountain,or famous place or Icon etccc

I think if stories about each cache were added, it adds value. If all that is written is "dipped" or nothing, then what is the point? For some, it's the miles added on.

I like photos and tales of the travels myself.

To each their own, and that is why we have scrolling built in to our computers. Just look at all the threads about "which TB has travelled farthest?". The one that was dipped the most! :D

I initially was looking at dipping my coin in every single cache that I visit. Then I realized its much easier to get the general mileage. So if I am on a road trip I will dip the coin in each unique location. If I am planning a cache in a general area I will simply dip in one cache. This keeps me within a general mileage for caching and not the exact mileage. Which i decided was fine by me.

Of coarse it becomes a personal thing so to each his own. For a personal coin I don't really see a problem with dipping in every location, since only you and your friends are going to be looking at it. For a bug or coin that was picked up I would say dip if you can't drop that day so the owner knows its still active.

I dip my personal coin in every cache for the mileage. I like to see the lines on the map all over.

For coins I have on me I usually only dip in caches which are relevant to the coin (like if they want to visit rivers or something like that). Or I'll dip coins in exceptionally cool caches.

For the things I released I don't care either way. I have a bug that if it wasn't dipped I would have missed seeing some of the really cool places I went. Other's where I look at the cache page and wonder why they were ever dipped in those caches. It is what it is. I don't worry about it much.

You can always click the link and visit the cache page too, to see where it went, and if perhaps the cacher only wrote one special log, instead of two. They may only have had time to write one longer log, or maybe they don't type/text very fast, and one log is all they do. If you skip the cache log, you could be missing the whole story, photos and all.

If the cache logs are short TFTC type logs, you are probably dealing with a numbers type personality, and won't see a long log, ever.

I do enjoy dipping the bugs I have in my possession. I run The Green Family Tour Bus and add stories and pictures to as many dips as I can. Since I keep the bugs for awhile I like dipping them so the bug's owner is aware of its whereabouts and know that it is being an active bug versus one that is being hoarded. Here's an example of one of the bugs in my possession:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=82073d28-2eb9-4f78-9025-4039ae03c6a9

Currently Traveling Darlene (TB11FC7), Smurf Bug 1 (TB3N0BK) and Northern Star Council (TB3BRW9) are on the tour bus.

-Karen