Would anyone be interested in a "buried treasure" cache type?

So I was thinking it would be cool if there were "buried treasure" caches where you actually have to dig them up, much like a buried pirate chest. Now obviously this goes against current Geocaching rules stating that caches cannot be buried. If it existed obviously there would need to be a much greater degree of rules and regulations to how they could be hidden, for example it would have to be on your own property and not in a public place (like a park.)

Now obviously there is little chance of it happening, but if Groundspeak gave it the ok would you be interested in this type of cache?

No. There are good, and real reasons why buried caches aren't allowed.

If GS were to make an exception in some caches, then the newbies wouldn't know which caches were exceptions and which ones weren't, and they'd be out with a shovel digging up all the local parks.

This would not go over well, and soon geocaching would be outlawed in many more places than it already is. (like everywhere)

Bad idea.

I have seen a cache that is buried in the sand at a resort. The cache page tells you where to dig it up at. I will try and find the GC number for it again.

I was thinking it would have to be in sand; otherwise the next cacher would see the previous evidence of digging. Although I do agree the others regarding why rules are currently in place. And here in South Louisiana, digging would be too much work with the humidity :)

So I was thinking it would be cool if there were "buried treasure" caches where you actually have to dig them up, much like a buried pirate chest.

You might do some digging while Benchmarking. You use a tape measure to find the spot, and sometimes the marker is underground (covered naturally by years of soil).

So that might be what to try, if you'd like the adventure of "digging for treasure": Benchmarking.

Or build a sandbox, and make a cache where people can dig in a defined spot. It may be a lot more fun to watch than to find, though.

Edited by kunarion
That doesn't make it a good idea.

True. It would make a memorable cache, though -- families getting all covered in sand. It could work. The trick is figuring out where it could work. Perhaps at the beach house property where Blackbeard was known to bury treasure...

I didn't think buried was allowed at all ... sand or not.
There is a line, somewhere between throwing a few handfuls of loose material (bark, dirt, leaves, sand, etc.) over a cache and using "a shovel, trowel or other pointy object [...] to dig or break ground". Reasonable people sometimes disagree over where that line is.

True. It would make a memorable cache, though -- families getting all covered in sand. It could work. The trick is figuring out where it could work. Perhaps at the beach house property where Blackbeard was known to bury treasure...

That being said, the idea of a cache buried in the sand sounds cool at first ... then I think about the fact that my GPS never brings me within more than 20 feet of the cache accurately. Am I supposed to dig a 20 foot whole to find it?

That being said, the idea of a cache buried in the sand sounds cool at first ... then I think about the fact that my GPS never brings me within more than 20 feet of the cache accurately. Am I supposed to dig a 20 foot whole to find it?

That is why you should have a good hint on where to start looking. ;)

Found the one that I had seen. It is in Jamaica. I was trying to plan a trip there that here happened and seen the cache. It is called Doctors Cave Cache and it sounds cool. http://www.geocachin...c7-ec28712dcdfc

Hidden : 02/20/2002

From the Guidelines:

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the geocache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated, the geocache is likely to be grandfathered and allowed to stand as is.

Found the one that I had seen. It is in Jamaica. I was trying to plan a trip there that here happened and seen the cache. It is called Doctors Cave Cache and it sounds cool. http://www.geocachin...c7-ec28712dcdfc

From the Guidelines:

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the geocache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated, the geocache is likely to be grandfathered and allowed to stand as is.

I hope you don't think that I would want that cache archived cause I don't. I think it is a great idea for a cache hide for the place that it is located at. Did they allow buried caches back in 2002?

From the Guidelines:

I hope you don't think that I would want that cache archived cause I don't. I think it is a great idea for a cache hide for the place that it is located at. Did they allow buried caches back in 2002?

Nope. That wasn't my point at all. My point was the part that I italicized, along with the date the cache was published.

I probably wouldn't, unless it was on a beach:) I get hot and sweaty just walking around in circles at GZ, I don't think I'd want to add the extra work of digging the cache...and I'd probably have to dig a few holes in the wrong spot first. However, a beach buried treasure would be fun. Sand would be a bit easier to dig, and it wouldn't mess stuff up because people already dig holes in the sand to make sand castles and what not and it easly returns back to normal:)

If it happened, I believe they would be easy to find. Just look for the fresh turned dirt. That would show up easily in hardpan or a field of weeds and grasses.

I could imagine it being incredibly difficult in other areas. In Phoenix, for example, we have many areas with "loose granite". In other words, large areas (think surrounding parking lots, dumpsters, people's "yards", etc.) with a sea of similar colored 1/4 inch rocks. You could bury a cache then smooth over the rock cover. You'd never find it unless you go digging up the entire area. I think that would be BAD for geocaching and its reputation with the local community.

From a safety perspective, if you were to go digging for a cache in the desert, you could easily dig into a nest of critters you really don't want to deal with.

Any way you look at it, buried treasure has pitfalls especially when in/near urban areas. It's just not a great idea.

If it happened, I believe they would be easy to find. Just look for the fresh turned dirt. That would show up easily in hardpan or a field of weeds and grasses.

I could imagine it being incredibly difficult in other areas. In Phoenix, for example, we have many areas with "loose granite". In other words, large areas (think surrounding parking lots, dumpsters, people's "yards", etc.) with a sea of similar colored 1/4 inch rocks. You could bury a cache then smooth over the rock cover. You'd never find it unless you go digging up the entire area. I think that would be BAD for geocaching and its reputation with the local community.

From a safety perspective, if you were to go digging for a cache in the desert, you could easily dig into a nest of critters you really don't want to deal with.

Any way you look at it, buried treasure has pitfalls especially when in/near urban areas. It's just not a great idea.

Good point! Don't those Gila Monsters live underground? I hear they are poisonous. When I lived in New Mexico, it didn't take much to dig up a scorpion. State Troopers out here would just love to see me headed into the woods with a bag and shovel...... yeah, changed my mine, no buried caches.

*sigh* I've been to Jamaica twice, and I still haven't done that cache, even though it was on my list of caches to do. :rolleyes:

I found that one back in Feb of 2004. There was a small bag of pot in it that I left behind. I always wondered if it was Jamaican Gold or not.

*sigh* I've been to Jamaica twice, and I still haven't done that cache, even though it was on my list of caches to do. :rolleyes:

I found that one back in Feb of 2004. There was a small bag of pot in it that I left behind. I always wondered if it was Jamaican Gold or not.

:laughing:

Now that I think of it, our first time there was before caching, in '95. We went on a youth mission trip, and every time we walked around, people would come up to us offering us reefers, and asking the teenage girls to marry them. Made it fun for us youth leaders. ;) The second time was in 2003, and by then they had cracked down on marijuana quite a bit. We were stopped twice at roadblocks by military/police with machine guns, to check cars for marijuana. One of the times we were waved through because we were American tourists. :rolleyes:

So I was thinking it would be cool if there were "buried treasure" caches where you actually have to dig them up, much like a buried pirate chest.

You might do some digging while Benchmarking. You use a tape measure to find the spot, and sometimes the marker is underground (covered naturally by years of soil).

So that might be what to try, if you'd like the adventure of "digging for treasure": Benchmarking.

Or build a sandbox, and make a cache where people can dig in a defined spot. It may be a lot more fun to watch than to find, though.

Hilarious, especially after the local stray cats discover that big ol' sandbox.