Any issues with a GPS bought in the USA?

Hello from another geocaching newbie. I'm currently working in the US but will be returning to the UK in 6 weeks or so. While I'm here it seems to make sense to take advantage of the lower prices and buy a GPS over here. Are there any disadvantage to this, apart from the import duty. After reading several reviews, on here and in other places I'm thinking of an Oregon 450 or 62s. Am I right in thinking that the only significant difference between these two is that the 450 has a touch screen? What about updating maps for the UK etc., I assume that these can be updated via the SD slot. Several questions I know but I'm sure you guys have the answers.

Hello from another geocaching newbie. I'm currently working in the US but will be returning to the UK in 6 weeks or so. While I'm here it seems to make sense to take advantage of the lower prices and buy a GPS over here. Are there any disadvantage to this, apart from the import duty. After reading several reviews, on here and in other places I'm thinking of an Oregon 450 or 62s. Am I right in thinking that the only significant difference between these two is that the 450 has a touch screen? What about updating maps for the UK etc., I assume that these can be updated via the SD slot. Several questions I know but I'm sure you guys have the answers.

I think your only issue will be with the warranty - if your new GPS breaks you'll need to deal with, and send the unit back to, the US for repair/replacement.

I'm on my fourth Oregon 550, so in the same circumstances it would have cost me a fair amount in shipping, and I don't know if Garmin would have been prepared to send the replacement to a UK address either....?

I'm not sure the warranty would be valid at all.

I remember trying to register a camera I bought while working in the US and it wouldn't let me as the serial number didn't 'tie up' with a UK address.

Actually the camera packed up, but before I came hope, so I was able to get a refund...phew!!

Thanks for the replies so far. As far as I can see Garmin offer a 1 years worldwide warranty and I would have to return a failed unit to the Garmin service centre in Southampton. This link summarises most of the advice I have read on this.

Any comments on the differences between the 450 and 62s.

I'm hoping to buy a unit this week/early next week and get a few caches under my belt here in Louisville before returning to the UK. Once back in the UK I'll hopefully be able to team up with my diving buddy, Ratcliffe of this parish, for weekends of diving/cache hunting.

Incidentally for those that don't know, the price difference between the US and UK is significant. I can buy an Oregon 450 here for £198 (US$325 from Amazon), the same unit from Amazon UK would be £272

Incidentally for those that don't know, the price difference between the US and UK is significant. I can buy an Oregon 450 here for £198 (US$325 from Amazon), the same unit from Amazon UK would be £272

The price difference isn't always significant. I was all set to buy a 62st in the US but found, much to my surprise, it was cheaper in the UK than in the US.

The prices you quote are fine but if the nice men at Customs do nail you for duty you'll be paying 20% VAT and import duty. The VAT alone nudges the price to £240 and even 5% import duty (I don't know what it would be for GPS gear so took a wild guess) would nudge that to £252. At that point you have to decide whether saving £20 is worth it for the hassle, especially if you're getting something with a US basemap rather than a European basemap.

I wouldn't bother swearing blind you bought it in the UK before you left, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a means of checking the source from the serial number. Unless you want to take your nice shiny GPS and scuff it up to the point the HMRC officers would accept that as the reason the serial number had been worn away.

Incidentally if you travel to the US regularly, even if you do get away with bringing it into the UK the first time there's no guarantee they won't stop you the next time you return. If the prices are comparable I'd rather have the knowledge that I've got a UK VAT receipt to show whenever I return to the UK.