TB Tattoo

Rckhnd

A post on the starter board reminded me of something.

I went to a geoevent and met someone who has a TB tattoo on her arm. Bar code spider, numbers, all there. When I went to log a find, I found that the icon for her tattoo is a barcode human.

I was fascinated by this whole setup and was wondering how do you go about getting that set up? I imagine you can get a TB and have the numbers tattooed on your body, but how do you go about getting it posted with a human icon and listed as a personal TB?

From Facebook: Breaking news: A unique icon for Travel Bug tattoos is now available! We need to switch the icon manually. If you have a TB tattoo, please email a pic (file size less than 1 MB) and the tracking code to pr@Groundspeak.com. The subject line should read "Tattoo" Thanks for the suggestion!

I wonder how many trackable tattoos are out there?

:blink:

I have no tattoos so I guess I don't get it, although it sounds neat.

But there is something about having a serial number stamped on me that gives me the creeps.

It is no different from the chip they put in you when you was born. ;)

But there is something about having a serial number stamped on me that gives me the creeps.

or the one in your phone :unsure:

I can put my phone down and walk away.

Sure you can.

Sure you can.

I did it just the other day. I had to drive all the way back to the vets office to pick it up. :laughing:

Or surgically removed from your ear.

(Not intended to belittle anyone, just an observation of many) :o

That was my thought on the matter. I've met enough people who had numbers unwillingly tattooed on their arms in the 40's.

That was my thought on the matter. I've met enough people who had numbers unwillingly tattooed on their arms in the 40's.

+1

I think the idea is neat, and I have even thought about having a clever QR code tattoo'd on, but thought better of it.

This is certainly something to think about. ↑

I (we) thought long and hard, ultimately, after thinking it through: It CAN be done tactfully. Mine is covered by wristwatch 99% of time, Gummee's is colorful and to the uninitiated, it appears simply as a colorful tattoo -- for the proper occasion, it is usually covered by her favorite cuff bracelet.

Pics are on public profile page, if you wish to look.

EDIT: revised for context

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

No, I was born before they started doing that here in Canada, but it may have been done with the series of shots that we received in High School. ;)

A post on the starter board reminded me of something.

I went to a geoevent and met someone who has a TB tattoo on her arm. Bar code spider, numbers, all there. When I went to log a find, I found that the icon for her tattoo is a barcode human.

I was fascinated by this whole setup and was wondering how do you go about getting that set up? I imagine you can get a TB and have the numbers tattooed on your body, but how do you go about getting it posted with a human icon and listed as a personal TB?

I have a Tribal Cherokee Water Spider tattoo and almost had some tracking numbers inked under it until I saw that bar code human icon. It reminds me of something that you might see on a public pay toilet.

I've tossed around adding some numbers to any of my tattoos. But I'm hung up on the whole thing Harry Dolphin pointed out about people having numbers tattooed on them unwillingly. I've met a few people with those numbers and I just can't get past that. And the idea of having to explain to survivors or relatives of survivors why i have that particular tattoo just makes me feel yucky.

I don't think I'd ever get the travel bug tattoos on me. It doesn't fit with any of my other tattoos so that's out.

I've tossed around adding some numbers to any of my tattoos. But I'm hung up on the whole thing Harry Dolphin pointed out about people having numbers tattooed on them unwillingly. I've met a few people with those numbers and I just can't get past that. And the idea of having to explain to survivors or relatives of survivors why i have that particular tattoo just makes me feel yucky.

I don't think I'd ever get the travel bug tattoos on me. It doesn't fit with any of my other tattoos so that's out.

While I can understand the connection and the connotation, yours is a emotional response. Which you are perfectly entitled to have. However I wouldn't tell a TB tattooed person they are representing, or disrespecting, or even suggesting that it has anything to do with holocaust survivors. It's geocaching and even to a non-geocacher I doubt it would make any connection that it has anything to do with WWII atrocities.

Looking at this tattoo I don't think Nazi's.

d3defc7b-4ea2-49be-bef7-00a2f38043db.jpg

If I'm putting something on my body forever I'm going to consider the emotional response I will have to it. I never took any of my many tattoos lightly and always carefully considered them before putting them on my body. I don't want to have something on my body forever that is going to illicit a negative response from myself that I will be repulsed by. I have to look in the mirror and see it.

If others don't feel that way then by all means get the tattoo. I don't care. i have girl friend a barcode thing with someone's prison number on it. Doesn't bother me on her. I wouldn't put it on me. It was a choice she made for her body. It was a choice I wouldn't make.

I don't associate her with the holocaust. But I would if I saw the numbers on me.

I don't associate her with the holocaust. But I would if I saw the numbers on me.

It's your body. You can certainly make up your own mind what it would mean to you.

It's my body and I know I couldn't disassociate it on me with what it was then. I could put a swastika on me too and try to convince myself it really is from an ancient earth religion. reality is I would never see it that way.

If the TB tattoo works for you great. It doesn't work for me or my body. There's lots of tattoos that don't work on my body. You'll never see me with a mascot for a sports team or anything like that either. It's forever. I don't want something on me forever that I know I will regret.

Other people dont' regret it. That's great. It's not for me.

It's your body. You can certainly make up your own mind what it would mean to you.

It's my body and I know I couldn't disassociate it on me with what it was then. I could put a swastika on me too and try to convince myself it really is from an ancient earth religion. reality is I would never see it that way.

If the TB tattoo works for you great. It doesn't work for me or my body. There's lots of tattoos that don't work on my body. You'll never see me with a mascot for a sports team or anything like that either. It's forever. I don't want something on me forever that I know I will regret.

Other people dont' regret it. That's great. It's not for me.

Hey, thanks for catching on that I'm an extremist and an idiot as well. Happy Caching!

Edited by BlueDeuce

Is there some kind of semi-permanent custom tattoo application/applicator you could have made? I'm thinking of the tattoos kids get from those .25 cent slot/prize machines that you can get temp tattoos that last a week, are there any that might last a couple months or something so that you don't have to worry about it being permanent?

Is there some kind of semi-permanent custom tattoo application/applicator you could have made? I'm thinking of the tattoos kids get from those .25 cent slot/prize machines that you can get temp tattoos that last a week, are there any that might last a couple months or something so that you don't have to worry about it being permanent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna

Try a Henna, I live in an area that has a huge population of indians, so i've seen plenty of people and even have had a few friends do this. Easily removed and stays on for a while.

Try a Henna, I live in an area that has a huge population of indians, so i've seen plenty of people and even have had a few friends do this. Easily removed and stays on for a while.

Yeah that's right that's what its called, a friend mentioned that. But can you have them custom make what you want on it?

While I can understand the connection and the connotation, yours is a emotional response. Which you are perfectly entitled to have. However I wouldn't tell a TB tattooed person they are representing, or disrespecting, or even suggesting that it has anything to do with holocaust survivors. It's geocaching and even to a non-geocacher I doubt it would make any connection that it has anything to do with WWII atrocities.

I have seen numbers tattooed on holocaust survivors, the SN to a Harley on Bikers, SSN and blood type on soldiers, but most of the numbers I have seen inked on skin is Prison ID numbers on inmates.

I have seen numbers tattooed on holocaust survivors, the SN to a Harley on Bikers, SSN and blood type on soldiers, but most of the numbers I have seen inked on skin is Prison ID numbers on inmates.

sounds like to me tats are used 50/50 good and bad :P

Yeah that's right that's what its called, a friend mentioned that. But can you have them custom make what you want on it?

Sure can! The issue is finding a place that will do it in your area, if you live near a city you should be fine, if you live near the suburbs you may have a chance, if you live rurally... Well... I hope you live in India. :anibad: :anibad: :anibad:

Sure can! The issue is finding a place that will do it in your area, if you live near a city you should be fine, if you live near the suburbs you may have a chance, if you live rurally... Well... I hope you live in India. :anibad: :anibad: :anibad:

I didn't know they had Henna tattoo shops, so I wonder if you have to be 18 to get Henna... I don't think we have anything like that in this dumb podunk town.

If age is not an issue, I could see getting my sisters some pretty Henna tattoos :)

They're not particularly dark, and having to re-apply them seems rather expensive. Why not just order a pack of custom temporary tattoos (google search : $60 for 100 1.5"x2.5") and apply them just before an event. That way, you can be the center of attention at the event with a tattoo across your forehead, without appearing like a deranged weirdo when you go to work / school the next day.

Or surgically removed from your ear.

Google "dragon's den bluetooth headset implant"

They're not particularly dark, and having to re-apply them seems rather expensive. Why not just order a pack of custom temporary tattoos (google search : $60 for 100 1.5"x2.5") and apply them just before an event. That way, you can be the center of attention at the event with a tattoo across your forehead, without appearing like a deranged weirdo when you go to work / school the next day.

That's kinda what I was looking for :)

I was born in 1961. Chips hadn't been developed. I doubt I have one in me.

I keep one cat. He stays indoors. Somehow, he escaped, Three days later, the Los Angeles Dept of animal regulation called me because he was in the shelter and they had scanned his RFID. When I recovered him, his breakaway collar was gone, along with his ID charm.

I think that this technology saved my cache.

My mother is 84, and sharp as a knife, but if I thought that should start to wonder, I'd chip her in heartbeat.

You could always get a rubber stamp made. Then use a pad of permanent ink, which will eventually fade and wash away. That way you're not stuck with it forever and you can put it in a different spot at another time. - I just might do that.

Tattoos are indeed very personal and permanent and because of that, I've never been able to accept one because I might have a different frame of mind next month. I almost got a dragon tattoo while I was studying Kung Fu, then I tore a groin muscle, moved out of state and was not able to find a truly asian form of Kung Fu since. If I had got the tattoo, it would have turned into a daily reminder for me of what almost was.

(Henna is) not particularly dark, and having to re-apply them seems rather expensive. Why not just order a pack of custom temporary tattoos (google search : $60 for 100 1.5"x2.5") and apply them just before an event. That way, you can be the center of attention at the event with a tattoo across your forehead, without appearing like a deranged weirdo when you go to work / school the next day.

That's kinda what I was looking for :)

If you google for "printable temporary tattoo" you'll find a number of temporary tattoo sheets you can print on an ink jet or laser and apply. Seems like a good solution.

I got one about a year ago, I don't mind it at all. Another cacher in my area ended up getting one a while later and another is going to be getting one in the next month or so. If anyone is interested in "Discovering" mine, feel free to send me a message and I'll send you the tracking code.

AND THIS MOST IMPORTANT ONE:

If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system.

If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system.

I've never once seen a TB locked.

Edited by Coldgears

But I have. Dozens and dozwns of times. It happens all the time when someone abuses the geocaching.com system by deliberately allowing people to log a Trackable virtually, meaning they pass out the tracking number to people who have never seen the trackable. Believe me, you really don't want to get a TB tattoo and then get it locked down. You might hate yourself for it.

But I have. Dozens and dozwns of times. It happens all the time when someone abuses the geocaching.com system by deliberately allowing people to log a Trackable virtually, meaning they pass out the tracking number to people who have never seen the trackable. Believe me, you really don't want to get a TB tattoo and then get it locked down. You might hate yourself for it.

Thanks Eartha, I wasn't aware of that. My offer is officially rescinded, you'll have to come find me on the trails or at an Event :)

Just got my TB tattoo!

Lots of crazy opinions in this thread.

Mine is on my calf so it is only visible when I were short pants which is usually only on nice weekends. When I meet another GCer I can just put up my pant leg for them to discover it.

If a muggle happens to see it when I am out in shorts and asks me what it is I will just calmly explain that the aliens put it on me during my abduction and continue to track me via an RFID chip implanted directly behind it.